Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio MINI Connected and iPhone 4

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 02:07 PM
cgingras
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINI Connected and iPhone 4

Hello everyone. This is my first post (after two weeks of reading!) so please excuse me if I violate some of the basic rules of this board. Let me know if I do, so I can improve for the next posts.

I got my MINI Cooper Clubman S 2011 two days ago and, needless to say, I'm in love with it. What a car!! I have MINI connected (w/o Nav) and an iPhone 4.

I'm located in Québec, Canada so I had to buy the Y cable for my iPhone 4 (latest iOS version installed). The cable part number is 61 120 440 812 so I know it's the latest one. Apart from the fact that this cable is too short, not flexible enough and too expensive, I bought it because I knew it was the only way to fully use MINI Connected in my car.

First of all, let me say that the BT pairing worked well and I have absolutely no problem using the phone features with my iPhone and my MCCS. Using the MINI/BMW Y cable, I also have no problem using the Music feature and I see all playlists and all my music on the screen and I can control the music with the joystick and the steering wheel controls, on the iPhone 4 and on an "old" 60 Gb iPod photo. When I plug the iPhone to the Y cable, I get the "Accessory not optimized" message and I just dismiss it.

BUT, when I want to use MINI Connected, I can't. The connection can't be made with the iPhone with the Y cable. When I use a white Apple USB cable, the connection can be made with MINI Connected and basic features work. I would use the white cable all the time but it won't work for music control with the steering wheel and the MCCS main display (I also think the iPhone won't get a charge with the white cable). Of course, I still get the "Accessory not optimized" message on the iPhone when I plug in the Y cable.

I had my T cable replaced by a new one at the dealer so I know it's not a faulty cable (unless I'm very unlucky!).

Recap: MCCS 2011, MINI Connected, w/o Navigation, iPhone 4 (latest iOS version), new Y cable.

iPod photo with the new Y cable
Working: Music control from the car (but no album artwork)
I know MINI Connected is not applicable to this iPod

iPhone 4 with the new Y cable
Not working: MINI Connected (no connection)

iPhone 4 with a white Apple USB cable
Working: MINI Connected (tried FB, Twitter, Minimalism, News, WebRadio)
Not working: Music control from the car

Any ideas how I can make everything work the Y cable? And is it possible to eliminate the dreaded "... not optimized..." message?

Now, some questions around this subject that I couldn't find a definitive answer by reading/searching/googling:
  • I don't see album covers when music is playing. Am I supposed to? If so, is this via MINI Connected or via the CD/Multimedia interface?
  • I couldn't see any videos from my iPhone 4? Am I supposed to? (I know the car has to be stopped and the hand brake has to be engaged) Again, is this supposed to work from MINI Connected or via the CD/Multimedia interface?
  • The MINI manual seems to be suggest that Bluetooth audio is available. I haven't been able to use it from my iPhone. Some threads on this forum (and others) are confirming that A2DP is not working in the MINI. If this is so, why mention it in the operator's manual? Does it work on devices other than the iPhone?
  • Is Voice control a part of MINI Connected without Nav? When I push the Voice control button on the steering wheel, nothing happens. I was under the impression I had this option with MINI Connected. Am I wrong?

Thanks a lot for your help. I know this is a long first post... it's just that I'm a big geek/gadget junkie and MINI Connected was very appealing to me. As of now, I'm really wondering why I paid over $1000 for something I can't really use like it was supposed to work.

------------
Christian, Québec, QC, Canada

Last edited by cgingras; 03-03-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:55 PM
asindc
2nd Gear
Christian,

Welcome to NAM. I read your post with great interest because I will want answers to those same questions when my Countryman arrives. There has been discussion on some MINI sites, including this one, about an iPhone adapter for the center arm rest and which model adapter is fully compatible (apparently there are at least four models). Check out the MINI2 site, which is for UK MINI owners. I believe I read the most detailed information on this issue there.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:11 PM
cgingras
1st Gear
Originally Posted by cgingras
The cable part number is 61 120 440 812 so I know it's the latest one.
I'm now doubting this information.

Which is the latest Y cable?

61 122 179 623 or 61 120 440 812 ?

Thank you.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:49 PM
cgingras
1st Gear
I'm replying to myself as I think I found the solution and answers by continuing my search on the Internet.

Here it goes:
  • Voice control is included with the Nav system. That's why I don't have it in my MCCS.
  • The Y cable that I had, the one that my dealer told me it was the latest model was not. I need Part# 61 12 2 179 623.
  • The white Apple USB cable works with iPhone 4 for music control, contrary to what I had written before. That was probably a bad connection on my part the first time I tested it.
  • Now, will the "old" iPod photo 60GB work with the "new" cable? I'm not sure.
  • I guess album artwork will appear with the new Y cable and that the video will appear too.

Anything to add?

Old 03-04-2011, 07:36 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
First let me say there is a "Sticky" thread for The Official MINI Connected Thread at the to of the NAV and Audio section (we are in this section now)

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ed-thread.html

That would have been a good place to put all your info.

Now on to what your problems are. But let me also say there are VERY conflicting reports on different cable used. More on that later.

I'm replying to myself as I think I found the solution and answers by continuing my search on the Internet.

Here it goes:
  • Voice control is included with the Nav system. That's why I don't have it in my MCCS.
  • The Y cable that I had, the one that my dealer told me it was the latest model was not. I need Part# 61 12 2 179 623.
  • The white Apple USB cable works with iPhone 4 for music control, contrary to what I had written before. That was probably a bad connection on my part the first time I tested it.
  • Now, will the "old" iPod photo 60GB work with the "new" cable? I'm not sure.
  • I guess album artwork will appear with the new Y cable and that the video will appear too.
Anything to add?
1. You should still have the ability to program up to 20 voice dial numbers for use with the phone.

2. Yes that is the latest cabel with video connection so that is the one you need. The 812 does not have the video connection.

3. Yes the standard iPhone/iPod cable should allow for MFSW control.

4. The iPod should work with the new y-cable but some people report that album art and video do not work with iPods but other do report it works. But that could be something with the iPod itself due to firmware versions.

As for Arm rest snap in adapters there seems to be a lot of confusion. THer are now three snap in adapters available for the iPhone 4 and three different ones available for the iPhone 3GS. One version only charges the phone, one charges and plays music and the last does everything. But again lots of varying reports.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:48 AM
cgingras
1st Gear
OK, got the new cable (part number ending in ...623).
  • I can plug in my iPhone 4 without getting the error message on the iPhone.
  • I can now see iPhone 4 videos on the car screen (when parked).
  • MINI Connected now works with the new Y cable.
  • The new cable doesn't work with the "old" 60 Gb iPod photo.
  • I can't see album art when music is playing.
Everything else seems to be working OK. Just waiting for PlugIn, Dynamic Music and Mission Control to be added to MINI Connected (any info on when they will be added?).

Now, some more questions (again, with an iPhone 4, latest iOS):
  • I don't have Voice Control but some people told me I could voice dial up to 20 phone numbers. How can I do this?
  • Is Voice Control necessary to have Facebook, Twitter and RSS feeds read tom me? I don't see the option on the screen.
Thank you.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:01 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Now, some more questions (again, with an iPhone 4, latest iOS):
  • I don't have Voice Control but some people told me I could voice dial up to 20 phone numbers. How can I do this?
  • Is Voice Control necessary to have Facebook, Twitter and RSS feeds read tom me? I don't see the option on the screen.
Thank you.
Voice Control of What?

You should be able to Voice Dial from the phone contacts if you have navigation. If you do not I believe that you have to record the voice tags (that is how it used to work anyway) and can save up to 20 voice dial contacts.

As for Voice control of any other function I have found no where that anything else like music or facebook etc can be controlled via voice.

I have idea what or where the reading functions would be.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:09 PM
cgingras
1st Gear
When I say Voice Control, I mean the Voice Control option. Here in Canada, it is bundled with the Navigation option.

As for Facebook, I don't want to control Facebook with voice. MINI Connected is supposed to be able to read aloud the statuses, as well as Twitter tweets. That's what I'm asking. Do I need the Voice Control option to be able to have the statuses, tweets and RSS feeds read to me?

Thank you.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:51 PM
djDK
1st Gear
is there a way you can post some pictures of the wires? i think it would be very convenient for people to see

Old 03-12-2011, 09:52 AM
cgingras
1st Gear
Here they are.

The first one is the "new" Y cable from MINI (the one for video playback).

The middle one is the Apple USB cable.

The last one is the "old" Y cable from MINI (video doesn't work with it).

With the first one, I have video playback and MINI Connected works with my iPhone 4.

With the Apple cable, I don't have video playback (normal), MINI Connected works with my iPhone 4.

With the last one, I don't have video playback (normal), MINI Connected doesn't work with my iPhone 4. But it's the only that can make my "old" iPod photo work for music.

All cables work OK for music playback and control via the MINI controls but I don't get album covers and I don't get the PlugIn option in MINI Connected.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:37 AM
buckland
3rd Gear
Thanks,

This is great!

Buck

Old 05-29-2011, 09:19 PM
hoyme
2nd Gear
Here they are.

The first one is the "new" Y cable from MINI (the one for video playback).

The middle one is the Apple USB cable.

The last one is the "old" Y cable from MINI (video doesn't work with it).

With the first one, I have video playback and MINI Connected works with my iPhone 4.

With the Apple cable, I don't have video playback (normal), MINI Connected works with my iPhone 4.

With the last one, I don't have video playback (normal), MINI Connected doesn't work with my iPhone 4. But it's the only that can make my "old" iPod photo work for music.

All cables work OK for music playback and control via the MINI controls but I don't get album covers and I don't get the PlugIn option in MINI Connected.
Note the difference in the 2.5mm connectors on the top and bottom cables? The top one (which has video) is a "TRRS" connector -- the bottom is a "TRS" connector. The letters stand for
T - Tip
R - Ring
S - Sleeve

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS_connector for more details. But, the top connector has 4 connections, the bottom only 3.

A typical stereo cable needs only 3 contacts - Ground, Left and Right. To get video, you need another connection for composite video. So, if you want a full audio/video cable for your MINI, look to see if the "mini-connector" has 4 connections on it.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:18 PM
hoyme
2nd Gear
MINI Snap-in Connector for iPhone4

I asked my MA about the "fully functioning" snap-in connector for the iPhone4 (the one that charges and supports all of the MINI Connected App functions, etc.). He was able to confirm that it was not yet available, but that the one for the BMW had just come out, so it should be "soon".

Today he told me that they were told by BMW that the MINI version is out, and the first load of them are in shipment to the US - available in 2-3 weeks.

Part number is:
84 212 199 393

Old 06-02-2011, 05:27 PM
Spice Orange JCW
4th Gear
I always thought that the mini one and BMW one were the same. When the 3GS one came out I was going to get it from the local BMW dealer. They wanted more for it that the mini dealer and it was the same part number.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:15 AM
fr8d
Neutral
Spotify

Hi everyone!

Great thread. I've been looking for detailed information for the Mini Connected and it seems this thread is full of first-hand knowledge.

I've just ordered a mini Cooper SD Convertible with Mini Connected in France and just realized streaming music over Bluetooth won't work (which kinda sucks). Can anyone tell me third party music apps such as Spotify, Deezer or Pandora will work? Will I be able to play music from Spotify using the USB connection? (I understand I might have to manually launch a playlist on my iPhone)

Second question: Does the snapin provide functionality that the dashboard USB & video ports don't?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:46 AM
Gentlefury
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by fr8d
Hi everyone!

Great thread. I've been looking for detailed information for the Mini Connected and it seems this thread is full of first-hand knowledge.

I've just ordered a mini Cooper SD Convertible with Mini Connected in France and just realized streaming music over Bluetooth won't work (which kinda sucks). Can anyone tell me third party music apps such as Spotify, Deezer or Pandora will work? Will I be able to play music from Spotify using the USB connection? (I understand I might have to manually launch a playlist on my iPhone)

Second question: Does the snapin provide functionality that the dashboard USB & video ports don't?

Thanks in advance.
Who told you streaming via bluetooth doesn't work??? I have MINI Connected and I don't really use it, because I can stream anything with bluetooth...whereas connected is restricted to their crappy streaming radio, internal music (who stores music on their iPhone anymore????) and Pandora.....I stream from my desktop at home over my iPhone and listen via Bluetooth! I really wish they would add BT Connected tho!!!

Old 08-19-2011, 10:51 AM
Gentlefury
3rd Gear
Hello everyone. This is my first post (after two weeks of reading!) so please excuse me if I violate some of the basic rules of this board. Let me know if I do, so I can improve for the next posts.

I got my MINI Cooper Clubman S 2011 two days ago and, needless to say, I'm in love with it. What a car!! I have MINI connected (w/o Nav) and an iPhone 4.

I'm located in Québec, Canada so I had to buy the Y cable for my iPhone 4 (latest iOS version installed). The cable part number is 61 120 440 812 so I know it's the latest one. Apart from the fact that this cable is too short, not flexible enough and too expensive, I bought it because I knew it was the only way to fully use MINI Connected in my car.

First of all, let me say that the BT pairing worked well and I have absolutely no problem using the phone features with my iPhone and my MCCS. Using the MINI/BMW Y cable, I also have no problem using the Music feature and I see all playlists and all my music on the screen and I can control the music with the joystick and the steering wheel controls, on the iPhone 4 and on an "old" 60 Gb iPod photo. When I plug the iPhone to the Y cable, I get the "Accessory not optimized" message and I just dismiss it.

BUT, when I want to use MINI Connected, I can't. The connection can't be made with the iPhone with the Y cable. When I use a white Apple USB cable, the connection can be made with MINI Connected and basic features work. I would use the white cable all the time but it won't work for music control with the steering wheel and the MCCS main display (I also think the iPhone won't get a charge with the white cable). Of course, I still get the "Accessory not optimized" message on the iPhone when I plug in the Y cable.

I had my T cable replaced by a new one at the dealer so I know it's not a faulty cable (unless I'm very unlucky!).

Recap: MCCS 2011, MINI Connected, w/o Navigation, iPhone 4 (latest iOS version), new Y cable.

iPod photo with the new Y cable
I know MINI Connected is not applicable to this iPod

iPhone 4 with the new Y cable
Not working: MINI Connected (no connection)

iPhone 4 with a white Apple USB cable
Working: MINI Connected (tried FB, Twitter, Minimalism, News, WebRadio)
Not working: Music control from the car

Any ideas how I can make everything work the Y cable? And is it possible to eliminate the dreaded "... not optimized..." message?

Now, some questions around this subject that I couldn't find a definitive answer by reading/searching/googling:
  • I don't see album covers when music is playing. Am I supposed to? If so, is this via MINI Connected or via the CD/Multimedia interface?
  • I couldn't see any videos from my iPhone 4? Am I supposed to? (I know the car has to be stopped and the hand brake has to be engaged) Again, is this supposed to work from MINI Connected or via the CD/Multimedia interface?
  • The MINI manual seems to be suggest that Bluetooth audio is available. I haven't been able to use it from my iPhone. Some threads on this forum (and others) are confirming that A2DP is not working in the MINI. If this is so, why mention it in the operator's manual? Does it work on devices other than the iPhone?
  • Is Voice control a part of MINI Connected without Nav? When I push the Voice control button on the steering wheel, nothing happens. I was under the impression I had this option with MINI Connected. Am I wrong?

Thanks a lot for your help. I know this is a long first post... it's just that I'm a big geek/gadget junkie and MINI Connected was very appealing to me. As of now, I'm really wondering why I paid over $1000 for something I can't really use like it was supposed to work.

------------
Christian, Québec, QC, Canada
Bluetooth audio works perfectly...its just not a very straightforward setup.

Go into CD/Multimedia
turn on Bluetooth audio
select bluetooth device
select your phone and press right to go into settings
check the audio button on
press back to re-pair
select your phone, it will re-pair
now the phone and the audio symbol will be lit up
now go into audio sources and your iPhone will be an option
Pick it
now you have all your iPhones audio thru the speakers. iPhone doesn't support MAP or OBEX, so you won't get any album art or search functions...so you will have to start apps and music via your phone....BUT you can go forward and back thru tracks...and when you start the car again you will be in bluetooth and if you are using an app like iPod app it will resume where you left off.

Some apps, like Audio Galaxy and Pandora tend to kill themselves after a while...so you MIGHT have to start them up again next time you get in the car...but sometimes you get lucky and it will resume when you start up again!

Old 08-21-2011, 06:50 AM
Derepente
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wish this worked better in the 2011s. While not even an option in my 2009 Cooper S with sat Nav...I noticed previously that Slacker radio will sometimes have the bluetooth audio symbol. I could never get my car to play the music through the satnav on it's own. There was a couple times when I would be finishing a call though and the sat nav seemed to pick up the audio from Slacker by mistake. Encouraging but I've not been able to reproduce that scenario. The other times my car will try to use the blue tooth for morethan phone calls is when I use the google app on my iphone (both 3gs and now the Iphone4). When you want to speak your search terms, the google app trys to use the MINI microhphone via bluetooth.

Wish the team at MINI would consider a firmware upgrade for us older version Sat Nav folks to get more from our systems.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:16 AM
Gentlefury
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Derepente
Wish this worked better in the 2011s. While not even an option in my 2009 Cooper S with sat Nav...I noticed previously that Slacker radio will sometimes have the bluetooth audio symbol. I could never get my car to play the music through the satnav on it's own. There was a couple times when I would be finishing a call though and the sat nav seemed to pick up the audio from Slacker by mistake. Encouraging but I've not been able to reproduce that scenario. The other times my car will try to use the blue tooth for morethan phone calls is when I use the google app on my iphone (both 3gs and now the Iphone4). When you want to speak your search terms, the google app trys to use the MINI microhphone via bluetooth.

Wish the team at MINI would consider a firmware upgrade for us older version Sat Nav folks to get more from our systems.
I have a 2012, so I don't have any basis for comparison....there is no bluetooth audio option in the 09 menu?

Old 08-22-2011, 03:56 AM
Derepente
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
No, I haven't seen that. I went through the settings menu and Bluetooth menu again after reading this thread. My audio menu doesn't show Bluetooth audio option. :(

Old 11-02-2011, 09:13 PM
jadedfairy
Neutral
Just picked up my 2012 MCS. Iphone 4s is working well so far with the mini connect + nav setup. twitter, facebook work fine. ipod interface with album art & movies are fine (via Y cable). Office: able to call and review/edit contact information on screen. Have not tried pandora yet. Using Y-cable 61-12-2-179-623.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:50 PM
haicu923
1st Gear
i have an iphone 4 with ios 5. when trying to play movies, mini connect shows just a still frame of the beginning of the movie but does not actually stream the movie from my iphone. the sound works fine, but i cannot get the movies to actually show on the miniconnect screen. any advice?

Old 11-06-2011, 11:35 AM
Tread
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by haicu923
i have an iphone 4 with ios 5. when trying to play movies, mini connect shows just a still frame of the beginning of the movie but does not actually stream the movie from my iphone. the sound works fine, but i cannot get the movies to actually show on the miniconnect screen. any advice?
is the car stopped and in park? This doesn't work while moving. Against the law for obvious reasons. ha!

Old 11-27-2011, 11:18 AM
red2082
Neutral
Is there a replacement/cheaper version of the OEM 61-12-2-179-623?

Old 02-06-2012, 01:32 PM
Mini///M
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just adding some info to the forum:

iPhone 4S + 09 Mini Clubman 11/08 Production
- white OEM Apple USB cable
-- did not work AT ALL. USB reads as "Empty"
- Pioneer Y-Cable (looks identical to OEM BMW one)
-- did not work with audio. USB reads as "Error". Charges iPhone.
- OEM MINI Y-Cable "old iPhone cable" with square splitter 61120440812
- works perfect, full functionality

The BMW/Mini dealer tried to sell the me the OEM Y-cable with the fork splitter aka "new iPhone cable" but I explained my dilemma and also showed the cable that RealOEM displayed as compatible with my car. Gave me the exact part number, we noticed the visual difference although he kept saying "this stuff is supposed to be generic". Plugged in the 8121 cable and voila! Couldn't be happier.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio MINI Connected and iPhone 4