Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

traded 2004 mini cooper s for vtec mini

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 12:07 AM
RatBlast
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
traded 2004 mini cooper s for vtec mini

i got tired of my heavily modded 2004 mini cooper s and traded for a 1975 austin mini with a vtec motor . since i had never driven a old school mini , i had no idea what to exect. first impression was , WOW the steering is hard .
arm strong steering , im use to it already. my biggest problem with the old school mini is the brakes. my god they suck , the car i got has front disc brakes and drum on the back and VERY worn out half shafts . i just ordered new cv joints for the inner honda and outer mini joints . i can not push the car at all yet , due to shafts being worn out . but i must say i think it will fly once i get the work done.
what do you vtec mini guys do for brakes ?

Last edited by RatBlast; 10-10-2010 at 08:07 AM.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:42 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Pray it stops!

A local club member has a V-Tec pickup truck with 10" wheels, it's like pushing on a block of wood for all the braking action you get!

I think part of the problem is the limited amount of room inside the wheel for both the disc and caliper - I would look for a fairly soft metallic pad, if it was me I'd gladly trade short pad life for having some better reaction from the brakes.

Back in the day I had a '62 Cooper S with the 7" discs, they didn't stop very well either, and required massive amounts of leg!

You will never have the same kind of brakes you had on your '04, so adjust your driving accordingly......

Old 10-10-2010, 02:25 PM
Herleman
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is frightening.

The brakes on the classic Mini were designed to handle a car with an 848cc motor that produced just under 50 hp.

With little improvement, we are now seeing conversions that are using these same brakes to stop cars with more than twice the displacement and 4 times the horsepower and unfortunately, about 50% more engine weight -- all of it in the front end, and with the same tire contact patch as the original.

RB, I'm not sure there is anything you can put inside a 10 inch wheel that will handle the VTEC power and weight. Please, go measure the tire footprint of a garden variety oem VTEC motored car and try to figure how you are going to get to anything close to that.

My friend, it is very likely that you are driving a very dangerous car. If it has not been equipped with 13-inch wheels at a minimum, you should begin there. Then look into after market front and rear disks with a larger master cylinder, stainless steel brake lines, and a strengthened brake pedal. I'd strongly encourage you to not drive it till you've made the required upgrades.

Post pictures of as much of the process as you can -- lots of us interested out here.

Please be careful.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:50 AM
RatBlast
2nd Gear
my car has 13 inch rims that are 7 inches wide . i think it has 8 inch discs up front. i have a email off to mini tech asking them if going to the disc rear brakes helps much . why has no one come up with a power assist setup.
back in the late 80's i raced honda crx's for 12 years , they came with 13 inch rims stock . the brakes were just fine for the most part.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:17 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
I think the reason there's no booster is there's just no place to put it....

That said, can you lock up the fronts with just leg pressure?

I wonder if it's just down to pads? If you could find a "grabbier", softer pad, that might be all you need.....

A booster would definitely help, but where the heck would you put it?

I don't think rear discs are the answer, since 90% of the braking is on the front.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:39 PM
RatBlast
2nd Gear
i talked to the guys at mini tech , they have a big brake kit and i was told they work fantastic.
guess next spring i will have to buy a set .

Old 10-12-2010, 08:51 PM
joltfreak
4th Gear
I also seen some remote booster kit in some sixtes rally minis. they show up online from time to time.

I'm running modified Honda Civic vented disc brakes on the front of my mini.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:42 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
You can probably find a place to put a booster in a non-VTEC Mini, but when you add the Honda motor, it gets a little crowded under the hood!

I'll be anxious to see how this works out for you, but I really don't think adding rear discs is the answer - I'm sure it will help, but if you can already lock the rear brakes, how will adding more stopping power back there help?

Bigger fronts might help, but the car only weighs a bit more than it did originally, so why would it need great big brakes for street use? I still think it's either down to a booster and/or different pads......

And if you run the 10" wheels like my buddy, your options are really limited!

Just my 2c.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:07 PM
2phun
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Herleman
My friend, it is very likely that you are driving a very dangerous car. If it has not been equipped with 13-inch wheels at a minimum, you should begin there. Then look into after market front and rear disks with a larger master cylinder, stainless steel brake lines, and a strengthened brake pedal. I'd strongly encourage you to not drive it till you've made the required upgrades.
Your recommendation for improvements are solid, but the rest of the statements are a bit excessive. If the car isn't being tracked or driven at excessive speeds, the car is no less safe than it was when it had an 850 in it for daily driving.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:26 PM
RatBlast
2nd Gear
thanx for te comments .
it has come to that time of the year where i am pulling the new mini off the road for the winter. i have been short on cash since buying it , but i did throw 3 new cv joints into it along with 2 new tie rod ends. it still needs the 4th cv jont and a wheel alignment. i have gotten use to the brakes in it , but once i have the money ... i will be throwing a big brake kit on it from minitech . here is a fiew pic of my new toy .[ATTACH][ATTACH]traded 2004 mini cooper s for vtec mini-vtecmini3.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attached Thumbnails traded 2004 mini cooper s for vtec mini-vtecmini1.jpg   traded 2004 mini cooper s for vtec mini-vtecmini2.jpg  
Old 11-14-2010, 06:00 PM
donjulio
4th Gear
Need some ceramic rotors!

Old 11-15-2010, 02:37 PM
teh Nub
1st Gear
The 9.5" willwood 4 piston big brake kit should take care of it and adding the willwood racing pedal kit would be even better that replaces your master cylinders.

On the cheap side, there is a fiesta caliper conversion that can be done.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:20 PM
mk1leg
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
You've gone from German to Japanise.............you should of got a proper mini................

Old 11-15-2010, 03:47 PM
Mab01uk
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
KAD Mini Rear Disc conversion:
http://www.kad-uk.com/rear_disc_conversion.htm

A cheap option for front disc upgrade in the UK if you fit 12 or 13" wheels are 4-pot caliper Austin/Rover Metro Turbo Vented discs which fit straight onto the Mini hubs.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:04 PM
RatBlast
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mk1leg
You've gone from German to Japanise.............you should of got a proper mini................
i can not see throwing thousands at a mini engine to get 110 bhp and a car that would be not so reliable.
the honda b16a motor is reliable and bullit proof.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:06 PM
RatBlast
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by teh Nub
The 9.5" willwood 4 piston big brake kit should take care of it and adding the willwood racing pedal kit would be even better that replaces your master cylinders.

On the cheap side, there is a fiesta caliper conversion that can be done.
its got the willwood racing pedal kit and master cylinders .
once i get the cash i do want the 9.5" willwood 4 piston big brake kit front and rear.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:27 PM
LIL PIGG
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RatBlast
i can not see throwing thousands at a mini engine to get 110 bhp and a car that would be not so reliable.
not sure why people think minis are not reliable. Sure I had to put some effort into it but now it is very reliable. I drive mine when ever I want to and it keeps up fine.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:51 AM
teh Nub
1st Gear
its got the willwood racing pedal kit and master cylinders .
once i get the cash i do want the 9.5" willwood 4 piston big brake kit front and rear.

Make sure to get an adjustable proportioning valve if the Front & Rear brake kit does not already come with one.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:01 PM
mk1leg
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a 1380 that very reliable starts in any weather condition and goes like S**t off a shovel.................I been in and driven V-tecs and motor bike minis there not the same thrill..................My friend threw £15,000 to build a V-tec mini and its given him a huge head ache......

Old 07-16-2013, 01:51 PM
Birdmiler
Neutral
I have a 2000 classic mini and I wasn't too impressed with the stock brakes either. I ended up getting the Wilwood 8.4" discs in the front. When they bled the brakes they discovered that rear brakes weren't working. I had to take the car for a couple of days without the back brakes working and it still braked fine. They rebuilt the wheel cylinders and now they are working fine. On mini manias website they suggest changing the bore size of your rear wheel cylinders so you might want to check that out too.
Cheers

Old 07-16-2013, 02:08 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
psssst

3 year old thread ....