F55/F56/F57 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for F55/F56 MINI Cooper AND Cooper S models.

Drivetrain Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 12:40 PM
toshiyo
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drivetrain Malfunction

I get this message every now and then:

Drivetrain Malfunction

Drive moderately. Maximum output not available. Consult service center.

The thing is that I brought it to my dealer several months ago and they couldn't find an answer and kept my car for a week. I still get the error message every now and then (not frequent) but hesitant to bring it in for a fear that they might keep my car for a while. Anyone else see this error message too? (See photo attached)

Attached Thumbnails Drivetrain Malfunction-image-2371390649.jpg  
Old 11-10-2014, 12:51 PM
trakatdave
2nd Gear
It is an unsafe to drive issue because full power is not available. The dealer should offer a loaner while they find a fix for it.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:55 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
There is another thread on this subject ...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...lfunction.html

Old 11-10-2014, 12:57 PM
The Meal
4th Gear
The White Roof Radio guys said this was a too-frequent message in the F56 they drove across the US during MINI Takes The States last summer. Any other 2014 owners see this one with above-expected frequency?

Old 11-10-2014, 02:17 PM
toshiyo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by trakatdave
It is an unsafe to drive issue because full power is not available. The dealer should offer a loaner while they find a fix for it.
I called my dealer and they tell me that the loaner isn't available until 12/8/14. At the same time they tell me that I shouldn't be driving the car when they know that this is the only car I have and that I don't have a loaner. :-(

Old 12-16-2014, 02:58 PM
becky1711
4th Gear
Count me in

2015 MC automatic picked up in October. Just got the infamous Drivetrain Malfunction Drive Moderately message. When starting, I heard some odd sounds like crackling in the bonnet region - then got the message. Turned the car off and back on again and no message. Have had a couple more stops and starts today without the warning returning - yet... Was hoping the '15s had the software update before delivery but I guess not.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:56 PM
wtwien
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by becky1711
2015 MC automatic picked up in October. Just got the infamous Drivetrain Malfunction Drive Moderately message. When starting, I heard some odd sounds like crackling in the bonnet region - then got the message. Turned the car off and back on again and no message. Have had a couple more stops and starts today without the warning returning - yet... Was hoping the '15s had the software update before delivery but I guess not.
It has happen to me the same thing. I have also noticed that sometimes when I start the car in the morning it feels like the car is going to stall, but it does not and will not happen again during the day even after sitting all day.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:55 AM
smallbug
2nd Gear
I've gotten this message only three times since getting my car in late June.
One of those was just the other day. I also stopped, turned off the car sat for a min or two then started back up. No message.

Old 12-27-2014, 05:10 PM
wtwien
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by smallbug
i've gotten this message only three times since getting my car in late june.
One of those was just the other day. I also stopped, turned off the car sat for a min or two then started back up. No message.
+1

Old 03-28-2015, 02:12 PM
ericncarla
Neutral
i have a 2014 mini cooper s

Just had the same drivetrain warning. Went in to my local mini shop to get a software upgrade. But the upgrade blows. Its done something to the performance of the car. I would not recommend the software upgrade. Unless they can twink out some settings. My cooper right out of the box last year had a much different feel in sport mode. Now it feels like the sport mode is gone. Almost like having a green and 2 mid modes. So i am taking it in next week to see if they can adjust some settings. Throttle response is alot different. Ill let yaw know what happens. But i do not recommend the software upgrade unless your happy with reduced performance.

Old 03-28-2015, 03:41 PM
russmini
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The computer may need to relearn your driving style. I did the upgrade as well and it took awhile to "come back".

Old 03-28-2015, 03:52 PM
ericncarla
Neutral
Originally Posted by russmini
The computer may need to relearn your driving style. I did the upgrade as well and it took awhile to "come back".
Ok. Just sucks its was riding perfect. And now not so great. But ill see what they say.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:02 PM
joey1320
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ericncarla
Just had the same drivetrain warning. Went in to my local mini shop to get a software upgrade. But the upgrade blows. Its done something to the performance of the car. I would not recommend the software upgrade. Unless they can twink out some settings. My cooper right out of the box last year had a much different feel in sport mode. Now it feels like the sport mode is gone. Almost like having a green and 2 mid modes. So i am taking it in next week to see if they can adjust some settings. Throttle response is alot different. Ill let yaw know what happens. But i do not recommend the software upgrade unless your happy with reduced performance.

If the MINI dealer performed a programming of the vehicle, more than likely due to a service bulletin, there is nothing they can tweak, adjust or change. The new software comes straight from BMW and it's uploaded as a complete package - meaning all other control modules are also updated if needed - so there won't be a way for a technician to just change it.

One small thing they can do is reset the engine/driving adaptations but this isn't really teaking the software, just doing a reboot.

Sorry!

Old 06-25-2015, 12:45 PM
Falcon-Z
1st Gear
It happened to me twice in little more than a month of usage. Im near 3300km by now. Once I was going up a big hill and then downshift and had the drivetrain malfunction so i drove up the hill to find a safe spot to stop and restart the car thus erasing the code.

Second time, i started the car did 10 foot and the car stall and didnt want to start up again. I had to push my car since aside since i was blocking incoming traffic, took me 1 min to start up the car again and had a check engine that later erased randomly.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:49 AM
glucklich21
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
You know the warning may go away, but the code will be stored. Take it in.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:57 PM
jostevens
Neutral
Unhappy 2005 mini cooper acceleration issues

My 2005 mini will not accelerate when in drive. It will in park but when i go to drive it jerks a little and when push on accelerator, only run 8 mph with surging. any ideas

Old 12-28-2015, 09:00 AM
Heidi Gottberg
Neutral
Drivetrain malfunction engine stopped

I have a 2015 Mini Cooper Works hardtop with less than 3,000 miles on it. I had it out for my first road trip for the holidays. 100 miles outside of Chicago on the way home w/ my 86 year old mother, my car stopped running after filling up at a BP. I got the drivetrain malfunction message and the car sputtered out. Finally got a tow to the nearest Mini dealer in Orland Park. Which is 60 miles from my home and my mini dealer. They ran diagnostics which said that my gas tank was empty, which it wasn't as I just filled her up. They had no issue starting the car but are keeping it overnight. Now I am nervous about taking it out on the road again. This is my second Mini. My 2008 had no issues at all.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:31 AM
Geektb
Neutral
Had the exact same thing happen last night with my 2015 Mini Cooper Sport Hardtop. Went to the store without any issues and when it was time to leave I got the drivetrain malfunction message and the car wouldn't start at all (engine was turning but not catching). I have 2800 miles on the car and filled it up with gas earlier that afternoon after the tank got lower than I usually keep it (I usually fill it up as soon as it hits the fuel reserve but this time I drove it for another 20 miles after). This is also my second Mini and my 2012 had no issues at all.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:34 PM
Cmoney
Neutral
Drivetrain makfunction

I got the same message, they told me it needed a new software update. The software update remapped everything and now it sounds like it's in sport all the time...... Back fires constantly....brought it back, it's there now

Old 04-01-2016, 08:49 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,083 Likes on 1,859 Posts
Thanks for the info. So the sport button sounds like it on all the time with the reflash?

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-20-2016, 07:40 PM
mihoelsegundo
1st Gear
I just picked mine up from having the software update due to the drivetrain malfunction. Feels extremely slow and like someone said a few replys ago it feels like it's in green mode all the time.... Plugged in my tune and the car is still a dog. Now I can't get the tires to break loose in 2nd, even on wet roads.. Can someone let me know if it does come back or not? Also, after the update my side marker in the rear flickers.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:23 AM
VYPUR
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mihoelsegundo
I just picked mine up from having the software update due to the drivetrain malfunction. Feels extremely slow and like someone said a few replys ago it feels like it's in green mode all the time.... Plugged in my tune and the car is still a dog. Now I can't get the tires to break loose in 2nd, even on wet roads.. Can someone let me know if it does come back or not? Also, after the update my side marker in the rear flickers.

That's how my car is with the new motor recall I freaking hate it.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:29 AM
VYPUR
5th Gear
That's what mine feels like after the engine recall...did the fix it????

Old 04-22-2016, 10:41 AM
VYPUR
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mihoelsegundo
Hate it happened to you but I'm glad I'm not the only one I've been raising hell about this but have been told that my car is fine. It runs like crap and I hate it now!!!

If you find out a fix please please let me know ASAP!!! I went crazy at the the dealership after I drove mine and they acted like I was crazy. Still ain't got it fixed.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:44 AM
VYPUR
5th Gear
If you get a fix please let me know!!! I hate my car now. They telling me my car is fine and it isn't.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Malfunction