R60 Optional rear bench seat

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 07:13 AM
minimtx
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Optional rear bench seat

Good day folks,
I know that the optional rear bench seat is currently not offered in North America. However rumors say that it will be in late 2011. I was so bump when I heard about it as we really need it for our future third little one.

I’ve read that if you take the option of 2 rails, you will be able to retro-fit the rear bench seat once available. Are my assumptions correct? Is the information reliable or should I wait until it is officially put under production when you order your Mini?

I have been asking my MA and they have no idea of what I am talking about. They don’t even know that the option was already available oversea… *sigh* We waited so long for the Countryman release. Always wanted a Mini but a two doors car was always a no no for us. When the Clubman was release, it was great improvement with the extra door but still not feasible for us. Now finally a Mini that is more family friendly but now lacking of interior seats… this is a endless process for us..

Old 01-05-2011, 07:50 AM
lindseybp
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Until Mini says officially that it would be able to be retrofitted into a car with dual rails I would not put any stock in it. It may in fact be an option in the future but until it is official don't make a decision based on just the possibility it may happen. Could save you potential heart burn in the future.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:55 AM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by lindseybp
Until Mini says officially that it would be able to be retrofitted into a car with dual rails I would not put any stock in it. It may in fact be an option in the future but until it is official don't make a decision based on just the possibility it may happen. Could save you potential heart burn in the future.
Agree 100%. Treat all rumor and speculation as rumor and speculation only. I would be surprised if it were retrofit-able at all or if it could be done for a reasonable price.

How old are your kids? If you need 3 car seats or some combination of car seats and boosters, I would be hard pressed to say that you will be able to fit three across even with the bench. The car is very spacious for it's size but it is still a small car. We couldn't even get three car seats across in a Volvo XC70.

Try it before you but it.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:22 AM
minimtx
1st Gear
Kids are 3 and 1 1/2 right now. Might be planning for an other one in a year or so. I figure that by the time the 3rd one comes out, the oldest will be in a booster seat already.

The CM will only be used as our daily commute. (work , drop the kids, ...) The wife is already planning on getting a 7 seated for the long trip. (hopefully it will be an MDX and not a van... )

I love small car. When we went shopping for a car 3 years ago, we were one signature away from getting the cooper. However the 2 door thing kill the deal as it would have been a PITA to put our kid in the car. It can be done but we refused to have to go through the painful process all the time on a daily basis. Since I knew that CM was coming out, we decided to go with a Yaris RS. Fun car to drive and economical but I would like something better built and more fun to drive on a daily basis. Our weekend car right now is a Touareg.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:30 AM
lindseybp
5th Gear
Originally Posted by minimtx
Kids are 3 and 1 1/2 right now. Might be planning for an other one in a year or so. I figure that by the time the 3rd one comes out, the oldest will be in a booster seat already.

The CM will only be used as our daily commute. (work , drop the kids, ...) The wife is already planning on getting a 7 seated for the long trip. (hopefully it will be an MDX and not a van... )

I love small car. When we went shopping for a car 3 years ago, we were one signature away from getting the cooper. However the 2 door thing kill the deal as it would have been a PITA to put our kid in the car. It can be done but we refused to have to go through the painful process all the time on a daily basis. Since I knew that CM was coming out, we decided to go with a Yaris RS. Fun car to drive and economical but I would like something better built and more fun to drive on a daily basis. Our weekend car right now is a Touareg.
We are doing almost the exact same thing as we are having twins this summer. Selling the MCS and getting the Countryman for fun daily driving. We have an MDX for the long trips (I highly recommend the MDX by the way).

Old 01-05-2011, 08:37 AM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
I have three boys:8,4 and 2 years old. Prior to the third being born we had a Volvo XC70 for the primary family car. We also had an Audi Q7 with the third row seating. Turns out the Volvo could not easily manage the third child seat so we unloaded it for a Honda Odyssey and there has been no looking back. Yes it is a minivan but it is unbelievable in terms of utility. The Q7 has now been dispatched and is being replaced with the Countryman and we will replace the 08 Odyssey with an 11 as soon as the lease is up. We can not even imagine life without a minivan. There, I said it.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:58 AM
less2
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Blue
We can not even imagine life without a minivan. There, I said it.
NOOOOOO!!!!!

Old 01-05-2011, 09:17 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
....unloaded it for a Honda Odyssey and there has been no looking back. Yes it is a minivan but it is unbelievable in terms of utility. We can not even imagine life without a minivan. There, I said it.
My son went thru a similar process - he has a 911, a JCW and an Odyssey. The Honda has been reliable, and when driven sanely can produce pretty amazing fuel economy! The utility has made long distance travel not only possible, but easy and comfortable.....

I don't understand all the minivan hate, if you have a family, you drive what you need to....

Old 01-05-2011, 09:38 AM
draco
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate to say it - but according to my one & only local dealer, the rear bench seat option will not be available until 2012 model year - ie. late 2011. I would take this with a grain of salt as this is coming from MINI of Pittsburgh where, from experience, CS needs a major refresh.
But, they were absolutely sure.
Hope it will be sooner than that.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:48 AM
snowboard1
3rd Gear
[QUOTE=Midnight Blue;3186594]

How old are your kids? If you need 3 car seats or some combination of car seats and boosters, I would be hard pressed to say that you will be able to fit three across even with the bench. The car is very spacious for it's size but it is still a small car. We couldn't even get three car seats across in a Volvo XC70.

We have a 9 month old. I was surprised how far forward we needed to have the passenger seat to fit her Base and car seat, it was just short of all the way forward. It will be much better when she can face forward but I heard they are now recommending no less than 2 years of age for that...

Old 01-05-2011, 10:19 AM
minimtx
1st Gear
We can not even imagine life without a minivan. There, I said it.
You are killing me with this statement. But I must admit that everyone that I talked too driving a minivan, they all say the same thing with no exception.

Reality is starting to hit me slowly that I will eventually have to get one with 3 kids. They are so pratical and more economical than any other SUV 7 seats out there.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:25 AM
minimtx
1st Gear
[quote=snowboard1;3186690]

We have a 9 month old. I was surprised how far forward we needed to have the passenger seat to fit her Base and car seat, it was just short of all the way forward. It will be much better when she can face forward but I heard they are now recommending no less than 2 years of age for that...
In theory, 2 years old should be the minimum age for face forward in a car seat unless your kid have surpass the height of the recommended rear facing.

It does not help too that we have 2 massive car seat. (Britax Boulevard and Frontier) Seems like car seats these days are just getting bigger and bigger. No space at all in the back of the Yaris and barely any space in the Touareg.

So unless I can fit both of the car seats and a booster seat, CM is a go. (I am pretty sure it is an impossible task with these seats but I keep telling myself that it is possible) However, it looks like I will have to wait once more until the official rear bench seat is out to see how it is but the timing might just not play in our favor once more.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:29 AM
lindseybp
5th Gear
[quote=minimtx;3186724]
Originally Posted by snowboard1

In theory, 2 years old should be the minimum age for face forward in a car seat unless your kid have surpass the height of the recommended rear facing.

It does not help too that we have 2 massive car seat. (Britax Boulevard and Frontier) Seems like car seats these days are just getting bigger and bigger. No space at all in the back in the Yaris and barely any space in the Touareg.
So unless I can fit both of the car seats and a booster seat, CM is a go. However, it looks like I will have to wait once more until the official rear bench seat is out to see how it is but the timing might just not play in our favor once more.
No way you can fit two car seats AND a booster seat in the current back seat setup. Two of the three yes, all three no. Once the rear bench option comes out (whenever that is) you should definitely take all three in to test if they all fit. They might fit but it could be like a can of sardines back there.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:37 AM
minimtx
1st Gear
Yupe I know... That is why the rear bench seat is critical for us.

Sardines eh? Well as long as can have one and I keep smiling, the kids can suffer a little. j/k

Old 01-05-2011, 06:04 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Here is a thread from a page or two back that you might want to look at: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ench-seat.html

Right now, I don't think anyone can swear to the timing. Tomorrow I'm going up to my dealer and will ask, again, and report back with anything new.

It would be great if these two threads could be merged into one.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Miata13
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
..... We can not even imagine life without a minivan. There, I said it.
Yep...when our girls were younger, we too went through two iterations of Chrysler Dodge Grand Caravans...there's nothing that beats the minivan utility IMO...albeit you WILL WANT a fun car too if you can afford it...good for your mental health!

One comment on the Chrysler Corp minivans....least expensive but nearly worthless as a trade...except for another such product..I looked at an Odyssey or Previa (now Sienna) for #2...but just wasn't economically feasible... the Dodge dealer made me an offer so far below anything Honda or Toyota could provide...so....if you're headed towards a minivan..buy the superior Honda or Toyota product first

Last edited by Miata13; 01-08-2011 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:01 AM
TwoTone
Neutral
New here and happened on this thread since we are considering a Countryman. I can't see how you could possible ever get three across unless all were out of car seats. I'm in a 03 Explorer which is much bigger and there no way 3 carseats would fit comfortable and most importantly safely. I'm sure I could jam them in like I've seen others do, but I've seen what they had to do to get them in, basically defeats the purpose of a car seat. Good Luck

Old 01-07-2011, 12:29 PM
draco
Neutral
Originally Posted by TwoTone
New here and happened on this thread since we are considering a Countryman. I can't see how you could possible ever get three across unless all were out of car seats. I'm in a 03 Explorer which is much bigger and there no way 3 carseats would fit comfortable and most importantly safely. I'm sure I could jam them in like I've seen others do, but I've seen what they had to do to get them in, basically defeats the purpose of a car seat. Good Luck
I currently drive a Nissan Altima with the same 70.4" width as the CM.
Not possible, IMO, to fit 3 car seats unless they are possibly of obsure European spec (isn't everyone and everything skinnier in Europe ?)
If anything, the CM is probably a bit narrower than my Altima due to door overhang and, in general, how sheetmetal is utilized on wheel wells, etc.

Even 3 boosters will be a bit tight for older kids.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Even with a rear bench, that middle seat will not be much better than nothing, in my humble opinion.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:47 PM
minimtx
1st Gear
Deep down I know that it is not possible. Once more, I will have to wait to get a Mini. Might have to leave the brand as it seems like there is no thought put in place for any family larger than 4 since mini was reborn. But again, it is just the way Mini are..

Old 01-07-2011, 12:49 PM
cyberwoozle
3rd Gear
one of the early countryman tv spots shows 3 people across the back seat. the guy in the middle literally looks like he's just sitting on air, or maybe his companion's two knees...

there does not appear to be a lot of room in the back for 3.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:10 PM
03mini-S
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by draco
I currently drive a Nissan Altima with the same 70.4" width as the CM.
Not possible, IMO, to fit 3 car seats unless they are possibly of obsure European spec (isn't everyone and everything skinnier in Europe ?)
If anything, the CM is probably a bit narrower than my Altima due to door overhang and, in general, how sheetmetal is utilized on wheel wells, etc.

Even 3 boosters will be a bit tight for older kids.
No person in their right mind should be putting 3 car seats in a small car. How would you even get a child in the center seat? A family with 3 children in car seats should be driving a minivan or large suv.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:36 AM
inimini2007
6th Gear
Lot of people that want the bench seat...want it more for their dogs.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:13 AM
03mini-S
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by inimini2007
Lot of people that want the bench seat...want it more for their dogs.
We want it for our baby. We got the split rail which I can remove once the bench becomes available. I'll then install the seat bases since the outer 2 are a different shape. We want it for putting a car seat in the center and being able to carry 2 people in the back too. Not sure how much room there will be but it will be a nice feature to have.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:04 PM
moe-jiller
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by lindseybp
Ditto what Lindseybp said. I have not found pictures showing the 3 occupant rear seat so I have no info on where the middle passenger upper torso seat belt is anchored. If it is ceiling mounted, as is common, then a retrofit will also need the roof hardware and mount structure, and a different headliner. The Headliner exchange in my Clubman took 132 parts and pieces. Most all of the various clips and retainers are 'one time use'. A retrofit may be technically possible but.... - Just saying.

Quick Reply: R60 Optional rear bench seat