R60 Harmon Kardon Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 11:51 AM
tmorris700
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harmon Kardon Stereo

Hi there

I ordered the Harmon Kardon Stereo as part of my car's spec. It was a pricey option but i love listening to my music in the car. Any car i've had in the past ive just went with the cd/stereo provided.

For those folks who ordered the Harmon Kardon Stereo for their CM - is it worth it? Is it a hugh difference from the standard stereo that comes with the car? When we were in the dealership, the standard stereo sounded very good. I'm just wondering whether i should have invested my budget elsewhere.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:14 PM
Sealy
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't have mine yet, but I do know that music systems are a lot like socks. Everyone has different feet and you don't know how they'll feel until you try them on for a day.

You will shortly be told many stories. Some say the standard stero is more than adequate and the HK is a step down, some say the standard stereo is acceptable and the HK is a step up. Some say the HK is bass heavy and sucks. Some say the HK is bass heavy and it rocks. And someone had an HK in their 2004 Packard and it was garbage. I think you get the idea.

Better spend your time tracking your order, obessing over details, calling/e-mailing your MA, and making plans for happy motoring.

Good luck!

Last edited by Sealy; 04-20-2011 at 12:16 PM. Reason: -
Old 04-20-2011, 12:36 PM
kingalien
3rd Gear
Have the HK in mine. Like Sealy said, it's personal preference and depends on what you like to listen to. I do like it and I'm sure it is a whole lot better than the stock system. You've already ordered it so enjoy it when it comes and don't look back.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:44 PM
rsbell
4th Gear
Definitely worth it.

Not the best I've heard, but a nice step up from the base model, and I don't regret the decision at all.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:45 PM
vonmark
1st Gear
I am loving mine. Money well spent.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:40 PM
d2mini
5th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
It's usually a noticeable difference from stock. If you don't want to mess with a custom system, go with the HK. It's enough for most people.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:46 PM
03mini-S
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tmorris700
Hi there

I ordered the Harmon Kardon Stereo as part of my car's spec. It was a pricey option but i love listening to my music in the car. Any car i've had in the past ive just went with the cd/stereo provided.

For those folks who ordered the Harmon Kardon Stereo for their CM - is it worth it? Is it a hugh difference from the standard stereo that comes with the car? When we were in the dealership, the standard stereo sounded very good. I'm just wondering whether i should have invested my budget elsewhere.
As a current HK owner with my 03 S, I told my wife that it wasn't even a question whether or not to order it in her CM. We've had her CM since January and it has plenty of bass. There are 2 subwoofers, one under each of the front seats, and they really put out the bass. I only wish that they offered a better equalizer that offered more than bass and treble. I had a 01 Pontiac Grand AM GT that had a better equalizer. Anyway, you won't be disappointed. It will sound much better than the stock stereo.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:54 PM
03mini-S
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Sealy
Don't have mine yet, but I do know that music systems are a lot like socks. Everyone has different feet and you don't know how they'll feel until you try them on for a day.

You will shortly be told many stories. Some say the standard stero is more than adequate and the HK is a step down, some say the standard stereo is acceptable and the HK is a step up. Some say the HK is bass heavy and sucks. Some say the HK is bass heavy and it rocks. And someone had an HK in their 2004 Packard and it was garbage. I think you get the idea.

Better spend your time tracking your order, obessing over details, calling/e-mailing your MA, and making plans for happy motoring.

Good luck!

a 2004 Packard????? WHAT

Old 04-20-2011, 05:04 PM
03mini-S
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Sealy

Good luck!

a 2004 Packard????? WHAT REALLY??

Old 04-20-2011, 05:31 PM
zeiker
2nd Gear
+1 Improvement over stock - a blatant difference; however... the bass is a tad muddy IMO and overwhelms the other ranges - especially if you are a taller driver and sit toward the rear of the car. Fading toward the front helps mitigate this. There is no midrange adjustment, which is a downside.

I personally fade to the front, reduce the bass by -2 and up the treble by +5. Like the others say, it's a matter of personal preference. But a sheer search on "speaker replacement", for example, is an indicator of how - though it's good - it's not quite great.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:46 PM
BradfromOntario
3rd Gear
In Canada, I think that is the only way to get Sirius and we really like satellite. Had the H/K system in our first MINI and we'll have it in every subsequent MINI that we have.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:25 PM
pappatho
2nd Gear
Not sure how it compares to the base stereo in a Countryman, but the HK in my wife's Countryman is far superior compared to the HD radio in my 2009 hardtop. If I recall correctly the HD radio I have was the upgrade option in 2009 (I bought used so I could be wrong about this) and the HK came back in 2010.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:59 PM
slumley
1st Gear
Ordered HK in my first Mini (2010 Justa) and worried about the choice. Once I got it, I was glad I did. You'll enjoy the drive to work every day because of it. As others have said, personal preference as to what "good sound" is will determine your opinion, but I have never regretted ordering it.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:24 PM
AmyLR
1st Gear
Loving My HK

I do love my music, and I really like the HK in my CM. I'm glad I got it!

Old 04-20-2011, 08:45 PM
Cutelildevil666
2nd Gear
I haven't heard the stock stereo, so I don't know how it compares, but I have the HK in my Countryman and I love it. The sound is great and very clear. I am one that loves my music and I almost always have it on when driving.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:25 PM
Chibi-Mini
2nd Gear
Havent try the stock systems so cant compare.

the HK systems is nice and Enjoy your ride

Old 04-20-2011, 09:57 PM
less2
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chibi-Mini
Havent try the stock systems so cant compare.

the HK systems is nice and Enjoy your ride
Had the stock in my 08 R56 and hated it. I love the HK but I also love the bass and it has plenty of that. As another poster stated it needs a better EQ.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:10 AM
mat92GTP
1st Gear
I'm really happy with HK. I listened to the stock version before buying my CM and the difference is there. HK is not as good as the combo (Bose + Alpine 9855) that I had in my previous car, but I like it. I agree with others, a better Eq with a per frequency band tuning capability would improve it.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:30 AM
Sealy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 03mini-S

Had to say that twice, did ya? OK, maybe it was a Studebaker.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:13 AM
asindc
2nd Gear
I've had HK in all of my BMWs and now in my CM. If you love music, I consider it a must have unless you are going to install an aftermarket system. The HK itself has been improved dramatically since my first BMW in 2000. The current system blows that earlier system away.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:38 AM
mattmed03
2nd Gear
Worth it!

I will say that I had the upgraded "HIFI" (HK) system in my 08 clubbie which was the upgrade. It sucked. Rattly, muffled bass.
Have the HK in my CM and it miles above and better than the old system. I can pump it nearly as loud as possible and the tones are clear. It sounds outstanding with the Iphone plugged in. Some muffling with the compressed Sirius stations but still better. you have to adjust the bass a bit on sirius or it gets pretty bad at times. Can't speak to HD radio. We dont have any local HD stations.

It is well worth the money in the CM. It was not worth the money in the 2008 Clubman. I suspect that they have changed the 2011 CLubman though.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:20 PM
Sealy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mattmed03
We dont have any local HD stations.
Well, not many . . .

HD Radio Stations in Ft. Wayne, IN
HD Radio Frequency & Call Sign, Station Format, Owner and Market
WBOI Nws/Tlk/Inf WBOI-HD
89.1FM Northeast Indiana Public Radio, Inc.
Ft. Wayne, IN
Classical from WBNI WBOI-HD2
89.1-2FM Northeast Indiana Public Radio, Inc.
Ft. Wayne, IN
Jazz WBOI-HD3
89.1-3FM Northeast Indiana Public Radio, Inc.
Ft. Wayne, IN

WOWO Nws/Tlk/Spt WOWO-HD
1190AM Federated Media
Ft. Wayne, IN

Old 04-21-2011, 12:37 PM
mattmed03
2nd Gear
Unhappy Well

Well when I picked up my car that website for HD had WOWO which is a talk station not tunes. Looks like I head out to the CM to listen to some jazz or classical.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:43 PM
Sealy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mattmed03
Looks like I head out to the CM to listen to some jazz or classical.
Maybe they'll play some blues.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:12 AM
mjgood
2nd Gear
As a current HK owner with my 03 S, I told my wife that it wasn't even a question whether or not to order it in her CM. We've had her CM since January and it has plenty of bass. There are 2 subwoofers, one under each of the front seats, and they really put out the bass. I only wish that they offered a better equalizer that offered more than bass and treble. I had a 01 Pontiac Grand AM GT that had a better equalizer. Anyway, you won't be disappointed. It will sound much better than the stock stereo.
I don't have the HK in mine, but it still has a sub under each of the front seats.
I know the HK adds more speakers overall, I'm sure the sound is better defined...

Quick Reply: R60 Harmon Kardon Stereo