General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jack points

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 10:42 AM
Cobrabud
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jack points

New owner! I would like to jack the car up in the front and rear to put jack stands under it but I am unsure where I can place the jack. I know about the side locations but where can I lift from the front or back? Is the plate under the rear of the engine strong enough?

The following users liked this post:
Gizm0wiz (08-06-2020)
Old 05-18-2013, 12:53 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a handy thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-aero-kit.html

The only approved jacking points are the 4 obvious ones along the side, and two under the front subframe. (See thread, or picture below.)

If you want to put it on jack stands with all four wheels off the ground, I do it by jacking up using the front side point, this raises the back side jacking point enough to get a stand under it. Then you can use the front sub frame point to raise the front side jacking point enough to get a stand under it.

In general, if I only want one side off the ground I use the subframe jacking point and balance the car on just the front side point with a stand.

Some people also swear by the 2x4 method using a chunk of wood to get access to both side jacking points off the ground at once.

Also be aware that the jacking points on newer cars are very fragile. You need to stuff them with something, like a chunk of wood or several places sell aluminium ones.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:19 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
If you want to put it on jack stands with all four wheels off the ground, I do it by jacking up using the front side point, this raises the back side jacking point enough to get a stand under it. Then you can use the front sub frame point to raise the front side jacking point enough to get a stand under it.

I get the entire side on stands using the subframe point on the side in question. I lift from the subfram until I can get a jack stand on the rear side pad - by this time the front is up pretty high but the rear wheel is still on the ground. I place the stand and slowly lower the front. As the front comes down the body pivots on the rear stand and the rear wheel comes off the ground - I continue to lower until a similar jack stand is placed under the front pad.

I use small stands for this - only 12 inchers 1/2 ton) but that's plenty for brake work and rotating tires....

been doing it this way since 2002 with no observed ill effect - and just come down on those jack blocks real easy and they'll be OK. I've yet to break one on any of the cars I've worked on - mine and other's. I position my stand tops to cross the block - +

Last edited by Capt_bj; 07-05-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:53 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
So I am about to put my car in storage and want to put it on jack stands. I have a limited amount of space to work with and was wondering if there would be a place to jack the car up from the rear of the car.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:37 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 368 Likes on 311 Posts
Click the URL to visit Blimey and scroll down to the April 28th post and read "How a stud lifts a MINI" I do it every whipstitch to clean, inspect and or rotate the tires every 5K. Easy peasy.

http://www.blimeycabrio.com/?m=200704

Old 07-06-2013, 08:17 AM
EHans
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
Click the URL to visit Blimey and scroll down to the April 28th post and read "How a stud lifts a MINI" I do it every whipstitch to clean, inspect and or rotate the tires every 5K. Easy peasy.

http://www.blimeycabrio.com/?m=200704
Anyone know if that method holds true for the Countryman as well? It looks like it should, just want to be sure there isn't something different I should be aware of.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:52 PM
HorizonBLueN18
3rd Gear
i'm going to bump this just so i don't have to start a new thread, but is there a place in the front of the mini to just jack up the entire front? i want to adjust my coils and i need to replace one of my end links, I only have one jack atm since i just moved into my apartment and you have to have both tires in the air to get the end link in. thanks in advance.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:42 PM
EHans
5th Gear
Originally Posted by HorizonBLueN18
i'm going to bump this just so i don't have to start a new thread, but is there a place in the front of the mini to just jack up the entire front? i want to adjust my coils and i need to replace one of my end links, I only have one jack atm since i just moved into my apartment and you have to have both tires in the air to get the end link in. thanks in advance.
One jack would work wouldn't it? You just need two jack stands.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:26 PM
HorizonBLueN18
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by EHans
One jack would work wouldn't it? You just need two jack stands.

I literally only have a single low profile jack and i would like to get these end links in. I hate driving with only one in.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:53 PM
EHans
5th Gear
I literally only have a single low profile jack and i would like to get these end links in. I hate driving with only one in.
You should never get under your car if it is held up by a jack.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:58 PM
HorizonBLueN18
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by EHans
You should never get under your car if it is held up by a jack.
While this is true it doesn't help my situation. If i were physically laying under my car i wouldn't do it without stands, but i just need to get both wheels off the ground, pop one of the wheels off and connect the end link.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:04 PM
EHans
5th Gear
While this is true it doesn't help my situation. If i were physically laying under my car i wouldn't do it without stands, but i just need to get both wheels off the ground, pop one of the wheels off and connect the end link.
I don't think there is such a point to do that. Get a pair of jack stands. Pretty inexpensive, safe and will get the job done for you.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:03 AM
TG.
6th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Tagging along this thread . . . I'v done a lot of work on my other car (installing full down-pipe and exhaust system on jack stands for example) so I'm used to put the jack stands on the sub-frame edge.

With our new mini and the plastic jack point piece interfaces I don't really know onto what point specifically to lower the car on the jack-stands.
I have sets of typical half moon shaped jack stand tips and it doesn't look like the stands belong on those plastic locations.

So what's the trick.

ps: I look at the link below but it doesn't show what happens at the jack points with the stands...

Old 09-08-2013, 10:50 AM
Hoosh
1st Gear
Would like to hear replies to this as well. When I did my torque arm I put the stands under the jack points. Definitely looks awkward. Figure the jack point plastic block things will break off sooner or later.

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 09-08-2013, 06:27 PM
Bri3737
Neutral
Me as well. I have know idea where to place the stands

Old 09-08-2013, 06:54 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by TG.
Tagging along this thread . . . I'v done a lot of work on my other car (installing full down-pipe and exhaust system on jack stands for example) so I'm used to put the jack stands on the sub-frame edge.

With our new mini and the plastic jack point piece interfaces I don't really know onto what point specifically to lower the car on the jack-stands.
I have sets of typical half moon shaped jack stand tips and it doesn't look like the stands belong on those plastic locations.

So what's the trick.

ps: I look at the link below but it doesn't show what happens at the jack points with the stands...
The plastic jack points are weak and if you lower it onto the jack stand without stuffing something into it they could break. People sell aluminum pieces for $20 each but I use a small 2x2 piece of wood... cost less than $1. The half moon of the jack stand will rest nicely on the wood. See the picture.

Attached Thumbnails Jack points-img_3660.jpg  
Old 09-08-2013, 06:59 PM
Hoosh
1st Gear
Any problems if I use a jack at the green arrow to get my car up on stands? I did this last week and was able to put it up on front and rear stands quickly.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:01 PM
Hoosh
1st Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
The plastic jack points are weak and if you lower it onto the jack stand without stuffing something into it they could break. People sell aluminum pieces for $20 each but I use a small 2x2 piece of wood... cost less than $1. The half moon of the jack stand will rest nicely on the wood. See the picture.
Awesome. Thanks Cerenkov!

Old 09-08-2013, 07:22 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
Neat! an other kite blue to the rescue
This is good to change wheels but I probably would be a little concerned to work under the car as the wood pieces could put some lateral force on the plastic walls. But is they're short... I'd have to look into that.

Has anyone tried to remove the plastic piece temporarily?

Originally Posted by Hoosh
Any problems if I use a jack at the green arrow to get my car up on stands? I did this last week and was able to put it up on front and rear stands quickly.

This is good to know as well though the wooden 2x4 isn't such a bad idea to lift the car.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:26 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Hoosh

That is a perfect spot, I use it all the time, but I also use a thin piece of wood like a 1x4 to help distribute the weight and not mar the surface.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:33 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
You can also replace the plastic with aluminum ones so you should be able to take them off.

Way Motor Works sells them:

http://www.waymotorworks.com/billet-jack-points.html

The jack pad adapters can be bought from BMS

http://www.burgertuning.com/Mini_Coo...d_adapter.html

I've had the car on all four stands using the wood pieces and then tried to push it off (the first time I was concerned) but it wasn't moving.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:03 AM
TG.
6th Gear
Great links!

I am much less worried about lifting the car than making sure it is stable when I work though So those jack replacement pads don't make a lot of sense to me imo. I never work on the car supported by the jack itself... I know it is probably safe 99.9% of the time . . . until you're that 0.1% person who regret it big time

Old 09-10-2013, 07:49 AM
white3
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A hockey puck works great between the jack and the jack points. It has just enough give to make sure it doesnt slip, and it cushions as well.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:17 AM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Ditto re: the hockey puck suggestion. Bought one at my local sporting goods store for $3.00. Works great.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:35 AM
Bri3737
Neutral
Awesome idea