R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Dog crates

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009 | 09:04 PM
wmdapple
|
1st Gear
Dog crates

On our 2nd Mini. Had a 2002 Cooper S and now a 2008 Clubman S. Travelled xcountry with a dachshund and jack russell in the same medium size plastic crate. they are inseparable. the crate we have works well, but I've been searching for something about 4 inches shorter. Max of 15 inches high, the height of the base of the rear window of our Clubman, but big enough for both of them. Any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails Dog crates-camper.jpg  
Old 05-03-2009 | 07:12 AM
drno
3rd Gear
check out rectangular wire kennels by lifestyle. i have 2 jacks that i transport in my clubman . multiple sizes and very well made

Last edited by drno; 05-03-2009 at 07:13 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-03-2009 | 08:34 AM
ART ED
4th Gear
crate?

I prefer these to the crate solution. Got the set at Poochstyle.com

Attached Thumbnails Dog crates-rrclubsmall.jpg  
Old 05-03-2009 | 09:35 AM
wmdapple
|
1st Gear
Do you put the together?

Originally Posted by drno
check out rectangular wire kennels by lifestyle. i have 2 jacks that i transport in my clubman . multiple sizes and very well made
We have wire one in the house. Found that they tend to make a lot of noise on long trips. plus the small one is too small. and the medium is higher than I am trying to find. have any picts?

Old 05-03-2009 | 10:42 AM
drno
3rd Gear
no, i don't have any pics. i suspect your main problem will be the height factor as any kennel designed to fit a larger dog ( as i suspect there would be no calling for a multiple dog kennel) would by necessity have to be taller. what is your objection to height as long as it fits?

Old 05-03-2009 | 01:13 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
We use the exact same crate as you do to transport our two Minature poodles, we just accept the height as it allows them to stand up when they want to. Also we tend to cover it up to keep the sun off them, and if they can't see us they tend to be more relaxed and quiet during the drive.

Old 05-03-2009 | 04:39 PM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by wmdapple
On our 2nd Mini. Had a 2002 Cooper S and now a 2008 Clubman S. Travelled xcountry with a dachshund and jack russell in the same medium size plastic crate. they are inseparable. the crate we have works well, but I've been searching for something about 4 inches shorter. Max of 15 inches high, the height of the base of the rear window of our Clubman, but big enough for both of them. Any ideas?
Here's what we use, a custom job, very similar in dimension to what you're asking for and it works perfectly for us. It's made of "Sunbrella" mesh fabric over a PVC frame, measures roughly 28L x 18W x 17.5H, and collapses easily when not in use. It could be made pretty much in any size you like, though we bought this one long before we got our MINI (paid about $50, IIRC) and it just happens to fit/work well for all our needs.

All three of "our girls" fit fine in it together (7lbs., 9lbs., and 13lbs.), though for really long distances we usually kept the 2 younger ones (7 & 13lbs.) happily together and let our "oldest" ride wherever she wanted, in a bed of her own or on someone's lap. Sadly, we lost her (the darkest one on the far right in the pic.) at 16 1/2 yrs. old a few days after Christmas ('08) so we're only a "2DogDepot" now. (She was one of the greatest joys of our lives, truly a "wonder dog" who will always be sorely missed! )

Sorry the pix aren't the greatest, but you get the idea. HTH

Attached Thumbnails Dog crates-s1.jpg   Dog crates-t1.jpg  
Old 05-03-2009 | 06:29 PM
Barley
3rd Gear
We had a very nice fellow at Pro Dog Crates build us a completely custom four-stack of crates for use in our RV. He charges by amount of materials used so there is no cost penalty to have a crate built to your exact specifications. I take one of the crates out of the RV to keep in my Clubman most of the time - if I didn't already have the four I'd just have him build me a set for the car. They are relatively light, cheaper than aluminum crates by a mile, but more expensive than plastic crates. Here's a photo of the crate on a poochstyle mat with some stray dogs that jumped in while I was taking a picture

Old 05-03-2009 | 08:55 PM
wmdapple
|
1st Gear
thanks

Great comments. Yes.. sometimes not looking at faces when you're eating a burger on the run is a good thing. Today. Motoring Roadtrip.. My jack managed to get the door open for the first time, wiggle her way up the front and found my wife's lap for a bit. She was supremely proud. I may have something made, or try something myself. Either way.. thanks for all your thoughts. I'll keep looking at post here when I get done.

Wm
Seattle

Attached Thumbnails Dog crates-williamscreek_libertywa.jpg  
Old 05-04-2009 | 08:44 AM
TsPoet
2nd Gear
This is 17" high - on it's side.
I use one of these, there are doors in the top and side, so I lay it on it's side so the door that's supposed to be on top is the door that is used.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/3...te-Medium.html
mine is an older version, though, not sure how the "top" door looks on this new version.
None-the-less, that's another idea for you get a tall crate with a door on the top and lay it on it's side for 2+ small dogs instead of the 1 taller dog its intended for.

Old 05-04-2009 | 08:54 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
We can't use a cloth sided/mesh crate, one of my Mini-poopers has figured out how to work a zipper. We even put one mesh crate inside another, with one requiring the zipper to go up and the other down, she still managed to get out!

When we travel, it has to be a hard sided plastic crate with a door that will latch, the one we have now has two spring loaded latches, she hasn't figured that out......................yet!

The other thing I like about a hard sided crates is that you can tie it down strongly, just in case. I imagine (unfounded or not) that in a crash a soft sided crate could get thrown around inside the vehicle pretty badly.