Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain How I removed lots of mods and made lots more power… (Warning - long & detailed post)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 01:22 PM
hornguys
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How I removed lots of mods and made lots more power… (Warning - long & detailed post)

Like a lot of folks on this board, I blithely went down the Mod Madness path. In fact, I did it big-time with my first MCS, and then I did it again with the latest. Maybe I should have said I blindly went down that path.

I don’t know about you, but whenever the latest and greatest mod came up on NAM, I started scheming on how I could get it. So, I ended up with lots of stuff that’s been highly touted on this board.

The trouble was, I did it without any real long-term plan, believing that I was smart enough to sort the wheat from the chaff. But even the good mods don’t necessarily work together and add up to the claims made for each.

Here’s how it all started:

I had some of the usual drivetrain pieces that we modders often buy - DFIC, aerogel mat, 17% pulley, 2% crank pulley, custom dyno-tuned Unichip, 400 cc injectors, Cosworth head (oem valve sizes), Alta CAI, ceramic coated header, Miltek exaust, etc.

But the car wouldn’t produce over 197 whp (on several different DynoJets in the winter). And worse, it kept throwing codes.

Plus, the Siemens ECU kept learning its way around the Unichip.

In January, I read about Lucky Dog Garage being able to break into the Seimens and tune the car directly on the dyno. Since I was already afflicted with this disease, I called John Behe at LDG to chat. Next thing I knew, I was up there in February. FWIW – it’s not a short trip from Atlanta to Maryland…

The thing about John...

First, he had a huge shop (compared to the three NAM vendors I’ve visited). And it was clean (that’s important to me, ok?). He had lots of cars in the shop that weren’t MINIs. He also had a few race cars in the shop for work as well. So it looked like a fairly professional organization.

John is a direct speaking kind of guy. Never rude, just direct. His viewpoint on some of the mods on my car were, umm, different than I’d read and heard elsewhere. I could easily have gotten offended, but I held my peace to see what would be the outcome.

I already knew he was getting blasted for posting his opinions on NAM, pretty much on the basis of “It’s not cool to put down other vendors’ products…”

But what I found that made me at least listen was the fact that he wasn’t actually a vendor for bolt-on parts. You don’t see these parts anywhere on his site. And they aren’t on display in his showroom, either. So he wasn’t commenting on competitors’ products, because he wasn't competing in that arena.

He’s not in the business of selling all the items we NAMers know and love. In fact, from the Mississippi east, he has no competitor for exactly what it is that he’s doing.

John seemed to think he was doing the NAM community a service by “blowing the whistle” on mods that weren’t truly engineered properly, that weren’t even necessary, and that in some cases, could actually hurt performance.

But he upset some folks for various reasons. Although I still wonder if they realize he wasn’t putting down a competitor’s products. In fact, his only competitor (but not really, since they are so far apart) is Emil at Vitesse. And John has repeatedly recommended Emil.

Anyway, I’ll cut this part of the saga a bit short. We had a great visit, the car got an introductory LDG tune, and I came away with some things I needed to do.

Results and unusual events

As it happened, I went back the day before SpiderX was to arrive, about 10 days ago. It was 90 degrees (a long way from 30 degrees in the winter on the Dynojets when I got 194-197 whp). John just uses a couple of fans on his dyno. No ice and no spraying. What you see is what you get.

After we get the car set up and make the first couple of runs, John turns to me and says, “Your SC belt is slipping.” I replied it couldn’t be, because I had just installed a new JCW belt before leaving Atlanta. John hadn’t looked at the belt, he was looking at a series of numbers in his Dimsport program.

I was adamant that it couldn’t be, so he called one of his guys over and asked him to look at the numbers up on the big screen he uses. He asked him did he see anything unusual. Without pause, he said, “Looks like the belt is slipping.”

This was amazing, because the car was already producing some pretty good numbers (compared to the wintertime numbers with all the mods), as I had removed the items he felt was hurting performance…

The DFIC had been replaced with the stock IC, aerogel mat removed, the 400 cc injectors were replaced with JCW, the Unichip was gone (replaced with an early LDG tune), the pulley was back to 15%, the 2% crank pulley was replaced with the stock set-up. The Alta intake was still there.

It took him about two minutes to replace the belt. I’ve never seen anyone (including the so-called pulley party pros) do it anywhere near as fast, or the way his guy did. Anyway, in no time I had another belt on and away we went.

He got the de-modded car to 222 whp and 184 lbs. torque. With over 160 lbs. of torque from 3800 to 7000 rpms. In 90 degree ambient temps. This is the same car that in the thirty degree winter days, on the more forgiving DynoJet, loaded with all the “approved” mods, managed 197 whp.

But what made the real difference for me was something new he’s been doing. I call it Throttle Management. John has found something in the program that pulls the gloves off from what the MINI ecu wants you to have. So instead of that delay we’ve learned to live with, when you step on the gas, the car goes NOW.

I already had lightened my car, installed the Exedy lightweight flywheel/clutch, and used lightweight 15” wheels and tires, mostly in search of better throttle response. So I could appreciate whatever he’s found in the tune. Significant enough that it almost feels like I have a normally aspirated big motor.

On the breakdown, John came across a suspension problem I’d been having, that I hadn’t even mentioned. Took him no time to fix it.

Now the car is quicker, more powerful, with better/safer afrs than it ever had, and with a whole bunch of highly touted mods removed from the car.

If only I’d known

If only I’d known before spending all that money. 25 whp, plus the delta in dynos, and in temps, probably equals at least a true 30-35 whp improvement.

The money I spent on going up there, and getting the tune was far less than the price of a head or other mod. In fact, it was less than $800, including fuel, food, and a night’s lodging. Of course, depending on your car’s variables, it could be somewhat more or less. I already had an introductory tune from my first visit.

There are a lot of new mods popping up now. No doubt some are pretty good. But from my (finally enlightened) viewpoint, adding any mods without a proper tune is wasting your money. Because you aren’t getting from them what you paid for. Guaranteed.

Finally, having seen what happens when the car is on the premises vs. a remote flash tune, I’d never settle for less than having it done on my car in real time, on the dyno.

The results are too important to settle for a simple flash that has no correction for the belt slipping or some other wrinkle you most likely have on your car.

OK that’s my story, and I’m sticking it to it….

Last edited by hornguys; 07-27-2007 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:44 PM
oldtrojan66
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, that just sounds like balanced reporting to me! There have been a number of people on this forum I have read, that spoke of "the engineers know what they're doing when they design 'so-and-so' to work best with 'so-and-so' ". And these people are usually shot out of the water by those people who, like yourself, spent money (sometimes lots!) on mods and never took the time to actually find out if they work as advertised. Then again, my take on some things I 'had to have' for my MINI work best in circumstances (races!) I will probably never find myself in. So, You get what you pay for (sometimes) and 'let the buyer beware'!

Old 07-27-2007, 01:48 PM
MiniMacPR
5th Gear
Congrats! Your experience sounds like a best case scenario for most of us.

From your post and my slightly detuned head figuring it out, your listed engine mods are:

15% pulley
Cosworth Head
Header/Exhaust
Alta CAI
Exedy Flywheel/Clutch
JCW Injectors
LDG Tune

Is there anything else I missed?

Old 07-27-2007, 01:56 PM
hornguys
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMacPR
Congrats! Your experience sounds like a best case scenario for most of us.

From your post and my slightly detuned head figuring it out, your listed engine mods are:

15% pulley
Cosworth Head
Header/Exhaust
Alta CAI
Exedy Flywheel/Clutch
JCW Injectors
LDG Tune

Is there anything else I missed?
It's pretty bad when we have so many mods we forget one or two!

But I think that's the list for the drivetrain.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:14 PM
Johan
5th Gear
Thanks for the write-up! It really drives the point home...

Sometimes it's not always about the "Hardware"

Old 07-27-2007, 02:23 PM
RedSkunk
6th Gear
That was pretty long. But those are finally some tastey numbers. Can either you or John post the graphs?

edit: Also, I'm wondering about your claim that the tuning was "far less than the price of any other mod," since that doesn't seem to be the case from what I was quoted...... You're not adding the cost of the first tune, are you?

Last edited by RedSkunk; 07-27-2007 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:28 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Interesting post, but you still have some major mods there, head, exh., header, flywheel. Are you now running the stock IC? Did you install a cam when you did the head install? Also, what would removing the aerogel mats do? Give more airflow out the bottom of the engine compartment?

Old 07-27-2007, 03:08 PM
hornguys
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RedSkunk
That was pretty long. But those are finally some tastey numbers. Can either you or John post the graphs?
I don't have the plot to post from here.

Originally Posted by RedSkunk
edit: Also, I'm wondering about your claim that the tuning was "far less than the price of any other mod," since that doesn't seem to be the case from what I was quoted...... You're not adding the cost of the first tune, are you?
No, I'm not. All told, two round trips with food fuel, and lodging, & tunes came to about $1600 total.

But if I had really been ready the first time, the second wouldn't have been neccessary.

As I mentioned, if it was a single trip it might be a little more or less than $800.

I'm not in any position to make quotes for John, nor is that what I imply. It's as a comparision to other more costly expenditures.

For example, it's far less than a head and installation that for certain should have a tune after installation.

Last edited by hornguys; 07-27-2007 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:11 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Good write up! I'm a true believer in custom tunning on the dyno. My car gained 30whp with a custom tune from Emil and I will be having my car retuned tomorrow because Emil thinks there is still more power left in the car and becasue I added my air/h2o intercooler. I wonder if I can break my top dyno of 234whp.

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 07-27-2007, 03:15 PM
hornguys
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JIMINNI
Interesting post, but you still have some major mods there, head, exh., header, flywheel. Are you now running the stock IC? Did you install a cam when you did the head install? Also, what would removing the aerogel mats do? Give more airflow out the bottom of the engine compartment?
Stock IC. The Cosworth always had the Shrick cam.

I meant the post to be not so much about the numbers, but how we spend money on items that do little or nothing comparatively.

I had less heat soak with the DFIC with the aerogel removed.

The rear one was nothing that mattered power-wise and I probably shouldn't have included it in the list of things I took off.

So I'll edit that out.

Thanks!

Old 07-27-2007, 03:31 PM
mozzarella
Banned
I was there Sunday at TGPR and even though I had new Avon Tech RA's I could not keep up. When we were close to each other on the straights I could not gain any ground.

If we listen to people that give us this type on info we will spend our money better have faster cars and be able to do more track day with the money saved.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:41 PM
hornguys
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mozzarella
I was there Sunday at TGPR and even though I had new Avon Tech RA's I could not keep up.
I was on my Bridgestone 195/50-15 street tires, cuz my RA1s went south after Road Altanta and Barber.

Originally Posted by mozzarella
If we listen to people that give us this type on info we will spend our money better have faster cars and be able to do more track day with the money saved.
Amen. Plus I didn't mention how much better the car actually did on track. And it was hot out there at Talladega.

I never had a car pass me in any session in two days. But I lapped most of the the others. Not sure if you were one of those...

Old 07-27-2007, 03:43 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by hornguys
Stock IC. The Cosworth always had the Shrick cam.

I meant the post to be not so much about the numbers, but how we spend money on items that do little or nothing comparatively.

I had less heat soak with the DFIC with the aerogel removed.

The rear one was nothing that mattered power-wise and I probably shouldn't have included it in the list of things I took off.

So I'll edit that out.

Thanks!
Nice numbers. So by things you don't need you mean the:

DFIC
400cc injectors
2% crank pulley

I'm glad I don't have any of those. Actually, other then my Rotrex I have less mods then you by one. I did have a DFIC but went back to stock. I am looking for a better intercooler for my current set up.

Longboard

Old 07-27-2007, 03:43 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
(edited 7/28 @ 9:38 am est)

Jim (hornguys) and I have similar experience our cars while not exact have mimicked each other.....

Jim and I both have a right to speak on this topic as we have both had the mod disease pretty bad.....

I totally agree with Jim..... without a tune to pull it all together you run the risk of attaining nothing.....

many mods do nothing...or detract.... read my posts for about the last year on the subject.....

some highly touted mods really have not proved themselves if you dig deep.....

before John, for the average guy..... they only way to try to get more power was to bolt more and more stuff on and hope/expect improvement.... (see my car) since John....(with respect I did not know about Emil and have no experience with Hubie) we now can tune our ecu and get real difference, maximize the potential of our mods/cars.... an example of this is that I have the RMW head..... I removed and sold the WMS head... and while the car felt smoother and like it was/is breathing better there really is no appreciable power dif until John started to tune.... when Dave at DDM tuned the car after the RMW head he achieved no real gain in power although the driveability was much improved (Dave does a fine job with the Unichip).... this is not the fault of the RMW head but rather the inadequacy of a piggy back to tune at THIS level of expectation for the Mini ( the Unichip does fine in my experience at lesser levels of modifications) John made another 15 before the clutch and pulley problems stopped him.... John also feels that he can tune the car to 300 whp with his fuel system installed... I am pretty sure that the WMS head would not get to 300 whp ... this, in my mind preserves the value of the RMW head and reinforced and validated my decision to make the change to the RMW head.....but without the tune .... no matter how good the head is, and this is a great head, 300 whp, no way without the tune. THink of the the RMW head like a great steak..... you can't cook it with only matches or a lighter..... you need a great grill and chef to really get the most out of it. (please excuse bad analogy)

Having a tuner who can address the ecu in this manner with talent makes all this possible......btw there will be a new solution coming from a respected vendor

Guys like Tuls with stand alone turbos and TC are not part of this discussion as I have no experience with that set up..... and Ryan, Tuls et. al. are Jedis in their own right and play in a world in which I am not familiar

I guess I am totally agreeing and supporting Jim's post..... things have changed in the last 6 months all for the better.... the state of the art has been elevated and now Eric's (Helix) challenge of "any car making over 200 whp on his dyno gets it free" is a mark that can be regularly achieved..... two years ago this was all but impossible for a SC car... thanks to guys like John, Jan, Emil, Don, Peter, Eric et. al. pushing the envelope etc there is a new benchmark. With that said, it is more important than ever to get a game plan together before you start spending and bolting.....after all these new mods are also more $... you will achieve goals, spend less money in the long run, have a more driveable/powerful car, and have more fun.....

WE did not do anything wrong we are/were part of the pioneers with the arrows in our backs

the challenge is to know when less is more and when more is more.....

Last edited by SpiderX; 07-28-2007 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:47 PM
hornguys
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Longboard Mini
Nice numbers. So by things you don't need you mean the:

DFIC
400cc injectors
2% crank pulley

I'm glad I don't have any of those. Actually, other then my Rotrex I have less mods then you by one. I did have a DFIC but went back to stock. I am looking for a better intercooler for my current set up.

Longboard
I also had an extensively (and expensively) custom tuned Unichip which went away and a 17% pulley that went back to 15%.

Last edited by hornguys; 07-27-2007 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:48 PM
hornguys
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SpiderX

WE did not do anything wrong we are/were part of the pioneers with the arrows in our backs
And less money in the bank.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:53 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MarioKart
Good write up! I'm a true believer in custom tunning on the dyno. My car gained 30whp with a custom tune from Emil and I will be having my car retuned tomorrow because Emil thinks there is still more power left in the car and becasue I added my air/h2o intercooler. I wonder if I can break my top dyno of 234whp.
Good luck tomorrow Mario. With the record heat and humidity we are having I would have waited for another day to do the tune. Are you paying or is Emil taking this one on as a challenge?

It will be interesting to see how your new water to air does in this intense heat on the dyno.

Longboard

Old 07-27-2007, 04:02 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
I also had an extensively (and expensively) custom tuned Unichip which went away and a 17% pulley that went back to 15%.
NS .... I left out a lot of gory details aout the "tuners" we paid.... and all the stuff you and I have talked about.....

I still think the Unichip/MTH/GIAC for cars with minimum mods works but cars with lots of mods to pull together an LDG tune is like sushi compared to canned tuna

Old 07-27-2007, 04:04 PM
miniconcarne
6th Gear
Threads like this (another side) is why I have been reluctant to pull
the trigger on some major bolt on mods. Thanks guys for sharing info that is
probably not getting you dates to the prom.

Old 07-27-2007, 04:04 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Good luck tomorrow Mario. With the record heat and humidity we are having I would have waited for another day to do the tune. Are you paying or is Emil taking this one on as a challenge?

It will be interesting to see how your new water to air does in this intense heat on the dyno.

Longboard
Yes, it is a bummer about the heat and humidity in the Valley, but hopefuly it won't be too bad at 9:30am. Too bad the dyno wasn't in Ventura, the weather has been 67 to 77F for the past 3 weeks. I wish there was somewhere that had an indoor climate controlled dyno, that would be sweet!
I will post my dyno and maybe a video tomorrow.
M

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 07-27-2007, 04:12 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
I have had my car since November 03 and have yet to put a tune on the car. From everything I could find they all (up until now) didn't do much other then smooth out the power delivery.

I never did more then 15%. Saw no benefit in a crank pulley. never needed bigger injectors. Felt TB's were a wast of money and loved my car the whole time. When I added my first exhaust it was more for the sound. I love a nice sounding car. The OBX (my first header) was cheap and it gave me a project to do on the weekend.

I agree that there are allot of things guys are putting on there cars that do little or nothing at all. For allot of these guys they don't care though. It's all about the fun they get from there hobby and thats just fine. For allot of guys it's all about looks. I think the polished DFIC looks cool.

I also agree that the tune is everything. The engine is the system and the tune (a real tune) is needed to pull it all together

Why do race teams spend big dollars developing tunes for specific tracks.

Longboard

Last edited by Longboard Mini; 07-27-2007 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:18 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MarioKart
I wish there was somewhere that had an indoor climate controlled dyno, that would be sweet!
I will post my dyno and maybe a video tomorrow.
M
I just talked about this yesterday. It makes sense to me.

Longboard

Old 07-27-2007, 04:29 PM
hornguys
5th Gear
I have had my car since November 03 and have yet to put a tune on the car. From everything I could find they all (up until now) didn't do much other then smooth out the power delivery.

I never did more then 15%. Saw no benefit in a crank pulley. never needed bigger injectors. Felt TB's were a wast of money and loved my car the whole time. When I added my first exhaust it was more for the sound. I love a nice sounding car. The OBX (my first header) was cheap and it gave me a project to do on the weekend.

Longboard
I bow to the wise one.

Wish I had such good sense back then.

Old 07-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Johan
5th Gear
Isn't this what Don from DMH has been saying all along??? It's funny how people don't like hearing the truth...then when more and more realize it, it's like "OH..."

Just for the record I don't own any products from DMH...yet

But he has helped me get back on track.

Once again, thanks for sharing!

Old 07-27-2007, 04:40 PM
AZMCS
6th Gear
Refreshing. Thanks for posting.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain How I removed lots of mods and made lots more power… (Warning - long & detailed post)