Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Complete interior make-over

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 10:50 AM
pimpedout97x
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Complete interior make-over

ok, im sure you guys remember my suede thread, LOL.

i still like it, but i decided a MINI isnt the type of car to do that, thats more of a mini truck/SUV type theme.

what im going to do, since im glassing the door panels already, and ive always wanted my interior BLACK, not charcoal like it is now (i still like the charcoal though)

i think im going to cover all the main panels in black vinyl (a decent priced higher quality vinyl, so it doesnt look cheap) and do the accents in black suede. things in suede will be:

-headliner
-A, B, C pillars
-the accents in the middle of the dash (airbag cover, those things)
-console
-the oval ring thing in the middle of the door panels
-downtubes by the stereo
-the seats (all black suede, black perferated suede in the center (holes in it)

everything else pretty much will be black vinyl

the carpet....what you guys think i should do? has anyone switched to BLACK carpet?

give me your opinions on this guys

Old 11-29-2007, 11:42 AM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Go with a black carpet.

Should look pimp once it's done. I plan on doing a mix of Alcantara and Leather waaaaaay down the line

Old 11-30-2007, 03:25 AM
xnotfunkylex
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like it should look pretty sweet with your speaker install. Definitely black carpet.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:19 AM
pimpedout97x
6th Gear
well i got the 3 yards of suede. should be enough for now to do the headliner, B and C pillars. (A pillars i can do later, as well as the dash, etc.)

basically, i have to get the headliner, B and C pillars, and the 2 back interior panels (by the back seats) covered, so i can get my box put back in for good, and start covering that. once im finished with that, little by little ill finish getting the front recovered (door panels, dash, A pillars, then ill do the hatch door panel in the back, etc.

still looking for a black vinyl that i will like...some are too shiny, some arent black enough (look more charcoal-ish) some look cheap....i dont want to buy anything until i find the right one i like. ill post pics of the suede later. its really nice suede.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:42 PM
pimpedout97x
6th Gear
got my black vinyl (has a SLIGHT shine to it, nothing tacky, and a slight texture that i like compared to the other ones i had to choose from. 12.95 a yard. got 2 yards for now, as im working my way from the rear, up (to get the box back in, then ill have the dash/seats/etc covered.

(and by "im" working my way from the rear up, im refering to my upholstery guy, just incase any of you think IM covering this stuff....)

anyways, heres the layout. after i finish the system and interior, im gonna be pretty much done with this car as far as modding goes.

anyways-

suede:
-headliner
-A, B, C pillars
-airbag, and the trim pieces that run along the center of the dash (around the airvents)
-seats (might do some vinyl on the outer part of the seat, with suede inserts)
-last but not least, any other little accents, such as things on the door panels, (the wall behind me (combo of vinyl/suede) etc.)

vinyl:
-major parts of the door panels
-glove box/panel under steering column
-top part of dash (dash pad i guess you call it)
-as said above, possibly outer part of seats
-some on the wall trim panel

pics:

the flash makes the vinyl look more grayish, but compared to my stock dark grayish interior, this vinyl is BLACK, exactly what i was wanting.

can sorta see the texture:

compared to a factory headrest:

Old 12-20-2007, 06:57 PM
pimpedout97x
6th Gear
mmm.... suede

ill put the A/B pillars in tomorow, its dark out now and im tired and dont wanna unbolt the seat belts right now

dyed the button black

was board so i tinted an extra tail light red for the hell of it...im gonna take that off and tint it black though, i just gotta order the black tint.. i only got red right now

crappy pic

Old 12-20-2007, 08:30 PM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great looking suede. Now, I want to look into this. I have redone some old muscle cars' headliners in the past, the mini would be a fun time.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:13 PM
Bang110
5th Gear
That looks cool with the suede! After it's all done you just need to brush the suede so it looks all even. I just got my 03 MCS and I already want to do something like this.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:26 PM
xnotfunkylex
6th Gear
That looks awesome. I would love to do something like that to my interior. I hate the light grey that is in there. Can't wait to see it all done.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:16 AM
Coen_de_K
4th Gear
maybe a stupid question.. BUT how did you do that?? Just bought some seude and glued it on?? I want to do something like that but everybody keept me telling it is TOO difficult to do it by yourself.... :(

Any tips??

Coen

Old 12-21-2007, 06:31 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
I used a good contact cement on my speaker pods in my classic Mini and it held on like grim death. Just work slow and have patience. Use the back of a broad spoon or a wooden roller to really press down the material and when you wrap around you might need to cut little slices in the material to insure a nice smooth wrap. I'm sure Pimpedout can give you more specific tips for trouble spots.

NEVER let someone tell you something's too difficult. Some MODs are indeed very challenging, but that's what the web is good for - read some how-to's, ask questions of the people that have done it (like you are now) and decide for yourself if the project exceeds your capabilities. It's a wise man (or woman) that knows when a task is above them and seeks help - I do it ALL THE TIME.

When I heard "suade" I thought I'd hate the result, but it's actually pretty fly. Definitely different (in a good way). Can't wait to see your vinyl dash!

Old 12-21-2007, 07:07 AM
pimpedout97x
6th Gear
thanks guys

ya i really like it all black now, i never liked the light gray headliner and pillars.

the side panels in the back seats are being covered in black vinyl now.

to the guy that asked, i didnt do it, i could have, but i just had my upholstery guy do it for me. i just bought the material, took the headliner out, and he covered it. you just use a good spray adhesive. he buys his by the gallon at a upholstery place, but i did my explorer headliner in suede using 3M Super77 found at home depot for like 9 bux a can

Old 12-21-2007, 07:20 AM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mmmm Super 77 is some good stuff!!!

Old 12-21-2007, 08:01 AM
Coen_de_K
4th Gear
thanks guys..

I WILL do this by myself... I will keep an eye on this thread.. I already have the black suede Now I just need some tips and guts to finish it

Cheers

and THANKS!!

Coen

Old 12-21-2007, 08:07 AM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
That suede looks really awesome. Like the interior in a Porsche GT2, where every square inch is basically Alacantara.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:22 AM
pimpedout97x
6th Gear
I thought about doing every panel in suede, but a daily driver I wouldn't be able to keep it looking good.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:25 PM
RussellCory
5th Gear
That interior looks dope! It would look great on the doors. You should go for it.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:02 AM
shooler
5th Gear
Looks great! I should have all my "sueded" pieces back next week from the upholsterer. Are you still able to slide the seat belt height adjuster on the B pillar cover? There was some question as to whether or not the suede would bunch up when you tried to adjust it.
Thanks-David

Old 12-22-2007, 06:18 AM
Coen_de_K
4th Gear
@ pimpedout97x

When are you planning to finish the roof and pillars!!?

I NEED SOME PICS vbmenu_register("postmenu_1939278", true);

Old 12-22-2007, 09:03 AM
pimpedout97x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RussellCory
That interior looks dope! It would look great on the doors. You should go for it.
thanks i think im gonna do a vinyl/suede combo on the doors (suede being the accent, so mostly vinyl)

as you know, the doors are heavy, and people like using their foot to hold it open when getting out so id just get pissed off when people kick the suede. lol.

Originally Posted by 03Indigo
on the can of super 77 it states that it is not intended for vinyl or auto headliners. It does not hold up over time.

Just fyi for those who are doing DIY. I looked into that as I am in the process of doing exactly what is being done in this thread, but doing the work myself. I wanted stuff that will last, but not discolor or alter the texture of the alcantara like material.

Looking good though, your guy does good work. I only hope my DIY comes out just as nice.
it should, you just gotta be patient.

i easily could have done it myself, but after i go buy the materials and everything, its easier for me to take it to his house (he does all this work at his house, so its not like its a big upholstery place that rips you off pricewise)

EDIT- he just called, he told me 50 bux for the headliner, A/B/C pillars, and the side panels (not wrapping the whole side panel, back will be suede, front will be vinyl, ill explain why later when i pick them up.

but i agree on the super77, i used it on the headliner in my explorer 2 years ago and im surprised its still holding up, especially in florida sun. (no sags to this day) but i didnt want to take the risk, so i took it to him. he buys his upholstery glue by the gallon (or 5 gallons) and uses an airgun to spray it, so its never gonna come loose

but the parts arent really hard to cover. you can see from the pic i posted of the back of the pilliar, its just wrapping the front, and using a razor blade to slice the ends, and wrap them onto the back. the corners just requires you to cut a slice about every 1/2" or so. just takes time.

now for the side panels (by the back seats) those will require sewing, which i couldnt have done anyways, thats why i said id just let him do my whole interior.

Originally Posted by shooler
Looks great! I should have all my "sueded" pieces back next week from the upholsterer. Are you still able to slide the seat belt height adjuster on the B pillar cover? There was some question as to whether or not the suede would bunch up when you tried to adjust it.
Thanks-David
i cant adjust them, we were gonna just dye those parts so they're still slideable, but i had him just cover them (dyed the button) but he covered the center thing, and just put it back in (its a VERY tight fit) but he put it back in at the top position.

and to be honest, i never wear my seatbelt (i know i should) but when i do, the little slider will be in the top position, so who cares, ill deal with it.

Originally Posted by Coen_de_K
@ pimpedout97x

When are you planning to finish the roof and pillars!!?

I NEED SOME PICS vbmenu_register("postmenu_1939278", true);
more pics later today!!

the windshield is getting replaced (free in Florida) becuase of a TINY TINY crack, but that crack WILL expand when i get my system all finished, so while i have the A pillars off, might as well have them replace it!

Old 12-22-2007, 09:44 AM
Coen_de_K
4th Gear
Check this... I started today....and I say...

A BIG ^*&# YOU TO THE PEOPLE WHO SAY YOU CAN'T DO IT YOURSELF!!!

For now.... will update tomorrow

What do you think

Coen

Old 12-22-2007, 11:27 AM
pimpedout97x
6th Gear
that looks great!!!!! good job dude

where did you get the suede and how much was it? mine is made for automobiles, so its not supposed to purple, my windshield is tinted with 15% all the way down, so it should help alot with the sun hitting the A pillars. the B and C's wont get any sun, nor the headliner.

my suede was 27 a yard....i used the black suede at Jo-Ann's fabrics before...that stuff looks good, but it will purple in a week of sun....and if u use it where its gonna be sat or rubbed on (armrests, seats, etc) it will wear out FAST....i had it in my first explorer i owned, and my friend owns it...and i see what it looks like now...... :barf:

also, what adhesive you use?

Old 12-22-2007, 11:51 AM
Coen_de_K
4th Gear
Originally Posted by pimpedout97x
that looks great!!!!! good job dude

where did you get the suede and how much was it? mine is made for automobiles, so its not supposed to purple, my windshield is tinted with 15% all the way down, so it should help alot with the sun hitting the A pillars. the B and C's wont get any sun, nor the headliner.

my suede was 27 a yard....i used the black suede at Jo-Ann's fabrics before...that stuff looks good, but it will purple in a week of sun....and if u use it where its gonna be sat or rubbed on (armrests, seats, etc) it will wear out FAST....i had it in my first explorer i owned, and my friend owns it...and i see what it looks like now...... :barf:

also, what adhesive you use?
My mother likes to cover seats in alcantara.. indoor seats and coutches so the alcantara/suede is of great quality.. Not wears out and not purples..

I used the BISON glue spray.. On the first picture...

I just wanted to do it myself and new pillars aren't that expensive in case I ruin them..

I also want to say that it was pretty easy to do.. Just take your time!! :D

Thanks

Coen

btw.. the costs are nihil... was here lying in the house

Last edited by Coen_de_K; 12-22-2007 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:38 PM
pimpedout97x
6th Gear
What kind of suede though? Is it automotive suede? If not, it may fade...purple... Lol

Just a warning from past experience lol

Old 12-22-2007, 01:41 PM
shooler
5th Gear
Originally Posted by pimpedout97x
my suede was 27 a yard.
I paid $65 a yard for the stuff I am using. It is supposed to be the best you can use for this application (better be for the price!).

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Complete interior make-over