Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior ALTA Gauges and Pods for R56

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 12:11 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ALTA Gauges and Pods for R56

Ok I will expand more on this later but lots of folks were asking! Here is the link to the Gauge Page! Let me know what questions you folks have!

CLICK HERE!

Can buy just one, two or THREE! Pods also available with out gauges too!

Thanks folks for the patience!

Old 02-12-2008, 07:21 PM
morbius
Dr. Morbius
Yeah, order placed

Cheers,
Roberto

Old 02-12-2008, 08:38 PM
lxjose9xl
3rd Gear
Niiiice! Hey Adam, those look to be 60mm, woudl they happen to be available in 52mm diameter? I've got a 52 mm gauge sitting around that I would like to use.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:41 PM
lxjose9xl
3rd Gear
Well I guess I jumped the gun and posted without checking out the website, It answered my ?....I will be ordering on thursday!!! oh yea

Old 02-13-2008, 07:03 AM
MiniJayhawk
4th Gear
I see that now re: the 52mm. Adam, can you show a photo of a 52mm gauge in the pod? I really like the design but want to see a 52mm application.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:00 AM
Salty
3rd Gear
could you PM or post the instruction on how to install the Boost gauge?

Old 02-13-2008, 09:04 AM
mikeg4572
5th Gear
+1 I want to see how easy/hard it is.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:02 AM
spfdhed
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can give some insight re boost install. It will take the average person who is comfortable working on cars a good afternoon (working slowly and carefully). No major disassembly. The intake comes off with a few screws and friction fittings and under that is the map (see my previous pix). Unscrew that fitting and place the Alta stand-off adapter and then reattach the oem map. Vacuum hose to the transducer which mounts on the firewall. Then you have to remove the cowling under the wipers-again, no big deal, just take your time. The access to the the cabin for wires is under the cowling. Cabin work is next and involves mounting the gauge(s) on the back of the tach (it has to be loosened from the mount) and adjustment of the gauge to your liking. Wiring involves taping into the obd port wire(driver side under dash) as well as the dsc and cig lighter wires (under the console) with wire taps. Run the wires neatly and then screw everything back together. Sounds complicated, but really not a big deal. You just have to be comfortable with taking things apart and putting them back together the way they were (in you new car!).

Old 02-13-2008, 11:04 AM
Salty
3rd Gear
sounds a bit out of my league. I don't mind taking things apart and putting back together, but I have zero knowledge of wiring

Old 02-13-2008, 11:35 AM
fronjoni
4th Gear
any plans on making a white face in the future? would i be able to swap the face if you do?

Old 02-13-2008, 11:45 AM
mikeg4572
5th Gear
Humm............I ordered one anyway. I'll post a writeup when I am done to let people know how it was. I guess I did manage to hardwire my UNICHIP in with no problems, so I hope this will not be too difficult. I am curious to how much boost I am running.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:55 AM
masterd78
MANIAC
I just ordered the boost and water temp! I will give my insight when I install them. When it comes to installing stuff I just keep thinking "You can do it......You can do it all night long!"

Old 02-13-2008, 07:22 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Where does it get the water temp from? I don't see instructions up yet on their site.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:41 PM
masterd78
MANIAC
I think I can speak for most of us watching this thread. Can we see some install instructions for the boost and the water temp? It would be appreciated and I think alot more people would be interested in jumping in if they knew what was involved in the install. Thanks!! But I am still in, I placed my order online and was wondering when the gauges will be sent out.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:14 PM
spfdhed
3rd Gear
The water temp transducer requires you to drill and tap into the coolant reservoir (I did this with some trepidation as I had never tapped and created threads-but it was easy) and the transducer screws in the bottom of the reservoir. No leaks! The wiring runs directly to the back of the gauge in a "plug and play" (if you have have more that one gauge they "daisy chain" together for power and illumination).

Old 02-13-2008, 11:08 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I may end up using an Alta pod with a PLX gauge that picks up the water temp from the OBCII port.

How accurate is the temp in the reservoir? Seems like the coolant in the tank isn't always circulated if it's designed just to catch overflow from expansion/pressure increase.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:07 AM
morbius
Dr. Morbius
That is the setup that I am going with, Alta pods and PLX guages.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:13 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by MiniJayhawk
I see that now re: the 52mm. Adam, can you show a photo of a 52mm gauge in the pod? I really like the design but want to see a 52mm application.
Let me see what I can do! Thanks for asking!

Old 02-14-2008, 09:15 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by spfdhed
I can give some insight re boost install. It will take the average person who is comfortable working on cars a good afternoon (working slowly and carefully). No major disassembly. The intake comes off with a few screws and friction fittings and under that is the map (see my previous pix). Unscrew that fitting and place the Alta stand-off adapter and then reattach the oem map. Vacuum hose to the transducer which mounts on the firewall. Then you have to remove the cowling under the wipers-again, no big deal, just take your time. The access to the the cabin for wires is under the cowling. Cabin work is next and involves mounting the gauge(s) on the back of the tach (it has to be loosened from the mount) and adjustment of the gauge to your liking. Wiring involves taping into the obd port wire(driver side under dash) as well as the dsc and cig lighter wires (under the console) with wire taps. Run the wires neatly and then screw everything back together. Sounds complicated, but really not a big deal. You just have to be comfortable with taking things apart and putting them back together the way they were (in you new car!).
Nice! Pretty good cliff notes version. It really isn't hard, just requires some time, patience and minor tools! Thanks again!

Old 02-14-2008, 09:17 AM
scott48
6th Gear
I've had the boost gauge installed for quite a while now and really like it.....really compliments the oem gauges well, sweet lighting, and peak recall is really cool, and you can wire it completely clean so you don't see any wires.....totally worth the little $.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:19 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by fronjoni
any plans on making a white face in the future? would i be able to swap the face if you do?
We will offer them as soon / if they become available, as an option.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:19 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by masterd78
I just ordered the boost and water temp! I will give my insight when I install them. When it comes to installing stuff I just keep thinking "You can do it......You can do it all night long!"
and to MikeG:

THANK YOU!

Old 02-14-2008, 09:22 AM
morbius
Dr. Morbius
When I get my Alta pods, I will post pics showing it setup with PLX ODB gauges in a master/slave setup.

I also plan to modify the PLX gauges to have a dimmer circuit (something they left off for some strange), hopefully I will be able to tie that into the dimmer circuit in the tach so everything works like it should

More to come very soon !

Cheers,
Roberto

Old 02-14-2008, 09:23 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
INSTRUCTIONS: I just spoke to the office. They will get them compressed and on the website (under the instructions tab on each page) later today. Sorry for the delay!

minidrivr and morelli: Sounds like a great option as well. Let us know how you like em once they are installed.

scott48: Thanks for the info! Glad you are still liking it!

Chat soon folks. Let me know how I can help further!

Old 02-14-2008, 04:12 PM
SlowB00st
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
INSTRUCTIONS: I just spoke to the office. They will get them compressed and on the website (under the instructions tab on each page) later today. Sorry for the delay!

minidrivr and morelli: Sounds like a great option as well. Let us know how you like em once they are installed.

scott48: Thanks for the info! Glad you are still liking it!

Chat soon folks. Let me know how I can help further!
Does the boost adapter plate fit with the stock airbox? I have not removed it so don't know what is under it. Any price on that yet?

Also where would the third gauge pod go, any pics?

Have a defi BF boost gauge coming in and buying a Oil press from a local guy, but also want oil temp in the mix so wanted to know.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior ALTA Gauges and Pods for R56