R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Disrespecting the MINI: He finds the MINI "annoying"

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 01:17 PM
schmoopy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disrespecting the MINI: He finds the MINI "annoying"

Came across this little "opinion" posted on this site:
http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/

"...The Mini Cooper is the Felt Curbside of automobiles in that it's a neutered version of something that was once authentic, it evokes racing for people who will never race, and it's "cute" in a completely derivative and studied way. As a cyclist, I find Minis particularly annoying, because the trendier neighborhoods of Brooklyn are filled with them, and they're generally driven by the sorts of people who text their friends to ask them what kind of wine they should pick up for the party as they roll through stopsigns into busy intersections. It's only fitting then that these rolling graduation presents would be sold as a way to " go green." The people "going green" these days are the same people who did graffiti or experimented with homosexuality at their liberal arts college--they enjoy flirting with a lifestyle they don't understand in an environment where it's looked upon favorably, but as soon as it becomes difficult, unsafe or embarrassing they conveniently abandon it. Fortunately for them, you don't have to give up your car to "go green." Instead, you just need to buy a new one with marginally better gas mileage. And fortunately, "going green" also allows you to measure just how pretentious you are by calculating your "carbon footprint." Or, in the case of the Mini, your "carfun footprint." Hey, if people want to "go green" by buying a car, or they want to go vegan by ordering a hamburger instead of a cheeseburger, who am I to complain? But I still think a much better ad would have been: "Mini: It's Fun-tarded."

Old 08-08-2008, 01:22 PM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like someone needs to lighten up and let the sunshine in...of course, he DOES call himself the "Bike Snob" so I suppose we can't expect too much, yes?

Old 08-08-2008, 01:28 PM
greystone
3rd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Seems like the ad bothered him more than anything else. Good for him and his opinion, who cares?

Old 08-08-2008, 01:28 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It takes all kinds. His username is quite appropriate, though: BikeSnob. I'd have to say, reading all through his garbage that he's VERY full of himself and thinks VERY highly of his own intelligence...Not to mention the fact he seems to firmly believe he's one of the "cool crowd"...although that could be his very own defensive mechanism.

So he's a sad man lacking in skills -- obviously he can't read or research what he critiques and I feel bad for him. He is grossly misinformed, and it seems he limits himself to "topical" research by those who, themselves, tend to be misinformed. Do you know of any MINI ads that promote "going green?" We use premium fuel - how is that "green" compared to hybrids?? "Rolling graduation presents:" obviously he doesn't understand MINI demographics, and can't be bothered to find out the truth.

Sigh....I know it takes all kinds of people to make the world go 'round...but boy do I wish more of THOSE KINDS would walk in traffic....

Old 08-08-2008, 01:29 PM
schmoopy
2nd Gear
Old 08-08-2008, 01:29 PM
bradchatellier
3rd Gear
I'm glad there are at least *a few* haters out there lest the roads be so peppered with Minis we drown in our own homogenity...

Old 08-08-2008, 01:32 PM
Deviant
5th Gear
Can't make everyone happy but I'll bet he's never driven one. I've ridden a bicycle before, does that make me qualified to comment on his hobby with any sort of authority? Well, was for a time more into riding than average so maybe, but still. He seems to be one of those cyclists that feel the roads should really be exclusively for them. They're of the same mentality as SUV driving soccer mom's but are in denial about it.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:32 PM
Hellion
3rd Gear
lol does anyone ever listen to bikers in new york???? please they are the idiots trying to convince you that the space is for them to ride in not for you to open your door after you park

Old 08-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Calmante
3rd Gear
Seriously! I find myself wishing that the MINI wasn't so loved.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:34 PM
Bemmerondubs
2nd Gear
I think some one needs a hug

x uh oh x
6th Gear
I probably beat him up in grade school and he's compensating now. Beat by a girl!! (A girl in a very fast, economical MINI, by the way.)

schmoopy
2nd Gear
I live right near the area he is speaking about. Williamsburg Brooklyn has become the chic, trendy location for all of the "hipsters" and those who feel that you should never buy new clothes (go to the 'thrift shop'). They ride the trendy new "fixed gear" bikes with one gear, only a coaster brake, no helmet, etc....

Old 08-08-2008, 01:37 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by schmoopy
I live right near the area he is speaking about. Williamsburg Brooklyn has become the chic, trendy location for all of the "hipsters" and those who feel that you should never buy new clothes (go to the 'thrift shop'). They ride the trendy new "fixed gear" bikes with one gear, only a coaster brake, no helmet, etc....

Oooooh, good traffic targets! (OH, DID I SAY THAT OUT LOUD??)

Old 08-08-2008, 01:39 PM
schmoopy
2nd Gear
Old 08-08-2008, 01:39 PM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
I had heard there was an escape from the local insane asylum. This nutter's rant confirms it.

CROC 411

Old 08-08-2008, 01:40 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
10 points for the guy on the bike...

Old 08-08-2008, 01:41 PM
schmoopy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
Oooooh, good traffic targets! (OH, DID I SAY THAT OUT LOUD??)
The reason I found this site is because I am an avid road and mountain cyclist .... so just watch out for me please !!

Old 08-08-2008, 01:46 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
50 points if the wheels are still spinning when you're done.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:51 PM
schmoopy
2nd Gear
There's this group that causes all sorts of headaches for drivers on a regular basis ::
They're sort of like the cycling version of ACT UP!, PETA, Environmental Terrorists, etc....
http://times-up.org/index.php?page=critical-mass

Old 08-08-2008, 01:53 PM
schmoopy
2nd Gear
Maybe a few of us NYC area MINI Motorers can show up and all park along his street in one big line... that would very funny !!!

Old 08-08-2008, 01:57 PM
schmoopy
2nd Gear
This guy actually is quite a good writer; very funny...not that it makes his MINI comments O.K. though

Old 08-08-2008, 02:01 PM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
Maybe a few of us NYC area MINI Motorers can show up and all park along his street in one big line... that would very funny -- schmoopy

Count me in! I love city driving among the targets.

CROC 411

Old 08-08-2008, 02:12 PM
xqb3b
3rd Gear
Sounds like one of those bike riders who insist on equally "sharing the road" with cars, yet blow through stop signs and red lights, etc etc

Old 08-08-2008, 02:13 PM
irieman
5th Gear
My take- He spelled the name right didn't he? (lol) The thing about blogs/independent media these days is that they are much like political talk shows- the people listening, or in this case, reading, are pretty much "on board" to the views already, and need no convincing, so its not like the writer is changing anyone's opinion (if you look at the comments of that entry, its clear we have nothing to worry about! lol) In many respects we, the MINI community are the same way (example: SUVs) and even at times just as critical and harsh. So what's a little disparate opinion now and then?! Plus, it gives us all something/someone to laugh at. No seriously- did you read the comments?!

I got this negative review/eval in my InBox today, and again, the writer was humorous, and spelled the name right. I should probably link back to it on my own blog. You know- for funsies.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:14 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by xqb3b
Sounds like one of those bike riders who insist on equally "sharing the road" with cars, yet blow through stop signs and red lights, etc etc
Oooh! Those guys drive me nuts! And you're supposed to walk your bike through the crosswalk dip****!

Quick Reply: R56 Disrespecting the MINI: He finds the MINI "annoying"