Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Remove Wax residue from Wheel molding

Old 08-27-2004, 01:47 PM
flyingsluzer
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remove Wax residue from Wheel molding

I'm sure anyone who has ever waxed a car has made a smudge onto onto their vinyl or rubber trim, which leaves that annoying white mark. Doh!

I have one spot on my back wheel well that has a such a smudge. I can't seem to scrub it off. I have cleaned it several times with Meguiars Glod Class Vinyl and Rubber cleaner. It looks great for about a week; but the white smudge always comes back.

Anybody know of a way to clean it for good?
I read somewhere that either Klasse AIO or Zaino Z?? would take wax smudges off. I've been trying to decide between Klasse and Zaino for some time and that could break the tie.

Old 08-27-2004, 02:33 PM
grnmene
1st Gear
This was the subject of a rather lengthy set of posts somewhere, but try rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush. I just did it to mine today and with a couple of tries and scrubbing, it came off. Then use the Maguires stuff again. Just be sure to re-wax the finish around the vinyl, as the alcohol will take that off too - it doesn't damage the paint though.

Some other suggestions were peanut butter(??) or peanut oil, but that seemed a little wierd to me.

Old 08-27-2004, 05:48 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Peanut oil works fine as does an artist's eraser.

I'm very careful not to let the wax hit the vinyl. I use Zaino rubber and vinyl treatment for the black plastic and rubber parts and it works really well.

Old 08-27-2004, 07:37 PM
JustGo4It_
5th Gear
The easiest way to get it off is not put it there in the first place.
Read this thread on autocare.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ght=black+trim

If you do get wax on your trim there are at least 5 threads on removal.

I'm sure there are more, I only went back 1 year. The search function is our friend.

Old 08-28-2004, 08:05 PM
BradB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All of the above will work to a certain degree. The trick is to pull the embedded wax out of the textured plastic. It is full of little pits and holes that trap wax. The wax is hydroscopic (sucks in water) which then turns white.

The trick is to get that pulled out with a tool like a tooth brush. But don't use something so stiff as to damage the plastic with repeated burnishing or mar the paint at the edge. The rubber "hinged" Colgate toothbrushes are great. I use my wifes all the time (Shhhhh.)

I like to use isopropol alcohol (rubbing alcohol) as well. It's safe, clean and cheap. You will find dozens of uses for it. It's a staple in my detailing chest. For tight spots I apply with medical swabs. These are like Q-Tips only much larger and on a longer stick. Get them at the pharmacy. A box of 50 is only a couple bucks. You will find a million uses for these things!

Here is a short article on detailing trim which recommends a few products to keep things in tip top shape.

Brad

Old 08-30-2004, 08:05 AM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Along with the other suggestions above, I've often heard of using peanut butter (or peanut oil if you happen to have some around from your frequent wok cooking). You smear on a coat (smooth... not chunky), let it sit for 5 min or so and then remove most of the excess. Work it with a toothbrush a bit to get deeper into the pores. Wash and treat the rubber as usual.

I haven't tried it myself, but every time I've seen it suggested on forums, I've seen the later posts of jubilation from members who tried it and had good results.

You also get the added benefit of a tasty smelling car!

Old 08-30-2004, 11:03 AM
ImaVunDerBrah
6th Gear
Originally Posted by agranger
I haven't tried it myself, but every time I've seen it suggested on forums, I've seen the later posts of jubilation from members who tried it and had good results.
Here's the post of jubilation... it works great! I don't even think you need to let it sit for that long. I just applied it, worked my way around the car, then when I got back to the start, I wiped it off. Didn't even need the toothbrush. :smile:

Old 08-30-2004, 11:09 AM
DragonSlayer
4th Gear
Yes it work quite well
Originally Posted by grnmene
This was the subject of a rather lengthy set of posts somewhere, but try rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush. I just did it to mine today and with a couple of tries and scrubbing, it came off. Then use the Maguires stuff again. Just be sure to re-wax the finish around the vinyl, as the alcohol will take that off too - it doesn't damage the paint though.

Some other suggestions were peanut butter(??) or peanut oil, but that seemed a little wierd to me.

Old 08-30-2004, 11:22 AM
BradB
6th Gear
Yep, that an old trick. It's the oils. But remember if you do this you have to carry a stick with you.

.....to beat off the dogs that chase you down the street licking at your trim.

The following users liked this post:
JCWMark (11-20-2023)
Old 08-31-2004, 10:02 AM
string
4th Gear
Originally Posted by grnmene
...but try rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush.
Word.

Old 09-10-2004, 08:10 PM
apexer
6th Gear
Well, the RainX trick didn't work that well , after a few washing the white residue sp? (and I use Zaino) is back. I did put "Back To Black" on one front fender flair, just to see haow it works, and it seems to be holding quite well. Think I'll try the peanut butter/oil trick next.

Old 09-10-2004, 08:22 PM
BradB
6th Gear
Just use isopropol alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and a toothbrush and be done with it! Trust me!

Old 09-11-2004, 12:00 PM
apexer
6th Gear
"TRUST ME" God...How many time have I tried that line and, sometimes it actually worked .

OK BradB.. I'll try the rubbing alcohol... just this once!!!

Old 09-11-2004, 02:55 PM
ImaVunDerBrah
6th Gear
I tried the rubbing alcohol and toothbrush method today. It was effective, but substantially more work than the peanut butter.

Old 09-13-2004, 07:36 AM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Maybe the trick is to use the peanut butter AND the isopropyl alcohol... The peanut butter removes the wax and then the alcohol cleans away the peanut butter...

robj (03-15-2020)
Old 09-13-2004, 10:11 AM
twoturbos1mission
1st Gear
3M Adhesive and Wax remover has worked excellent for our MC. I'm going to start masking off the trim with painter's tape when I wax her.

Old 09-13-2004, 12:53 PM
jwardell
6th Gear
I tried some Vinylex with a foam sponge this weekend, just cuz I had it sitting around. It worked pretty well but after another wash, the white is black slightly, but it is still very much improved. I think I'll just get some peanut oil next time I go shopping. Here's a pic.

Old 09-13-2004, 05:12 PM
BradB
6th Gear
Originally Posted by twoturbos1mission
3M Adhesive and Wax remover has worked excellent for our MC. I'm going to start masking off the trim with painter's tape when I wax her.
Taping is effective but REALLY time consuming. If you use a wax that is hydroscopic and creates a white residue (shame on you) then consider using a painters masking guard. They are plastic and come in a variety of lengths, shapes and sizes. If you are not familiar with them, they are flat pieces of plastic, similar to bondo spreaders. They are very thin on one edge and highly flexible. You can even cut them to shape.

I have several of these. I can take one that is 6" long, with one hand easily curve it to the shape of my black plastic fender trim, drag it along the fender edge next to the paint. With my other hand I have a foam applicator up against, or near, the masking guard. I run both hands together in one quick arc. Zip! 5 seconds and the edge of the fender is done. No residue spillover. No mess. No masking tape to put on or off.

These are very thin, easy to bend, flex, shape, etc. They are plastic so there is no fear of ever scratching your car if you ever touch it. Piece of cake.

Just an option. It's a HUGE time saver over masking and every bit as accurate.

bratling (06-06-2018)
Old 09-15-2004, 12:52 PM
apexer
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BradB
Just use isopropol alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and a toothbrush and be done with it! Trust me!
I tried the isopropol alcohol on one fender flair, using a toothbrush, and it worked OK but required much rubbing. On the other two I used peanut oil, again with a toothbrush but much less rubbing. The 4th. one has had "Back to Black" on it for several weeks and it also looks fine.
Now... the test will be... did the alcohol actually remove the residue? Did the peanut oil remove or just mask the residue? Will the residue raise its ugly head after a couple of washes ? Stay tune kiddies

Old 09-15-2004, 01:39 PM
BradB
6th Gear
.......will the car owner stop using white residue waxes?

This has been another edition of ...As The MINI Turns.....

Old 09-15-2004, 02:11 PM
ImaVunDerBrah
6th Gear
In my experience, yes, the peanut butter/oil will remove the residue. The aocohol as well will remove the residue... with some elbow grease. The real trick, as noted by others, is to stop using products that leave behind a residue! I just got a Zymol kit in the mail. The wax itself will not leave behind streaks on the plastic trim but the HD Cleanse took quite the toll. Thus, the reason I tried out the alcohol & toothbrush method.

Old 09-15-2004, 05:14 PM
apexer
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BradB
.......will the car owner stop using white residue waxes?

This has been another edition of ...As The MINI Turns.....
If you check my signature you'll see that I use Zaino and thats the only thing I've ever used on my Mini. Still got some residue. Must admit that I thought that I'd get no residue with Zaino and was probably not as careful around wheel wells as I should have been.

Old 09-15-2004, 06:34 PM
BradB
6th Gear
Oh, wow! I missed that! Hmmm, that really surprises me. I have never gotten white residue from Zaino. Hmmm. Wonder what the caused that?? Your wax choice is obviously as well chosen as your mods!

Old 09-16-2004, 07:52 AM
AlanB
2nd Gear
I just saw something in the newest Griot's Garage catalouge that claims to remove wax. Maybe worth a look?

Old 09-16-2004, 11:13 AM
jwardell
6th Gear
I use Zaino as well and do get the white residue. You have to understand, it is a tiny, small, fraction of what regular waxes leave. It is normally not noticeable on other cars because they don't use much textured black plastic but on the mini the trim goes all around. Of course it is due to me being lazy. I could keep it off but I'd rather be sure I get the zaino even in the corners of the paint. It's not bad, but after a good five or so waxings the slight white spots were beginning to annoy me. I can only imagine this being a true nightmare for those who use standard waxes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remove Wax residue from Wheel molding