R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Depressed....

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 03:39 PM
SteyrTMP
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depressed....

::sigh::

I was on the way to work today, and there was an accident up ahead with about 1/4 mile of cars and whatnot... I slowed down and stopped well behind a girl in a white car, and started waiting for the wreck to be cleared, when....

BANG! I vaguely remember hitting a hard right, as I was coasting uphill... into someone's driveway, and crawled out.

Some girl in a Ford F150 wasn't paying attention, and hadn't seen the string of cars (visible from a hill over 1/2 mile away). She took out my left rear corner at 55mph+.

I got out, and tried to get my bearings. I was wearing Schroth harnesses, and that kept me from going anywhere, but the sun visor broke loose and nailed me in the forehead. I have a pretty good welt, and a splitting headache. I just got back from the hospital, and they said everything looks good.

Both the plastic and the metal bumpers are off the car, the left rear pillar is bent and gouged, the whole left rear corner is gone, the left rear wheel is dented/broken, there is quite a bit of underbody damage, i.e. axle, suspension, the rear left window and back windshield are broken, and the frame is bent--if you look into where the rear seats are taken out, you can see buckling in the metal.

Her truck was missing the entire front right axle assembly--I watched the tow guy wheel it back to the truck, with the trailing arms, axle and other parts sticking out of it. I never saw the front end of the truck.

There is one good thing--it proves that, in spite of all the minor problems I've had with the Mini, that BMW does make good stuff. For a 55+ hit, it's not as bad as it could have been. Luckily, she didn't hit me directly in the back, as it would have probably been a bit worse.

I'm hoping the insurance company will consider it totalled. I don't want a stretched car, as I was planning on hitting the tracks this summer. There was no maybe about it--it was her fault completely. Luckily, I didn't hit the girl in front of me. I really don't feel like having to try to be happy with a repaired car, as I think this is beyond repair. It won't feel the same, sound the same, and drive the same. I shouldn't have to suffer from some moron, most likely on the cell phone.

If they consider it totalled, I'm not sure what I'm going to buy next. I'm thinking of a Z3 M Coupe, a 350Z, or possible a beater Civic with a project Porsche 951 on the side. I doubt it will be another Mini, as much as I did enjoy this one.

Here's the pics

Nate
SteyrTMP

Old 04-22-2006, 03:46 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It is a bit of a hit. But is the frame damaged? If the frame is bent, then you have a pretty good shot at getting it totalled. If the insurance company won't total it, then tell them they have to pay you the difference between its value as a damaged car (get some quotes from dealers to back up your claim) and the Kelly Blue Book Private party value. If they refuse, then it would seem to be time to talk to an attorney. In fact, you might want to consider getting an attorney involved for the personal injury issue that you have.

P.S.: You might want to send the pictures off to Schroth - they are a pretty good testimony to the benefits of the harness. I seriously doubt that you would have gotten away with only a whack from the sunvisor with O.E.M. belts.

Old 04-22-2006, 03:51 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OH! OW!
Thankfully you're here to tell us.

What a stupid stupid other driver

Old 04-22-2006, 04:10 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Would a Z3 M Coupe or a 350Z have fared as well if hit by that F150? You should consider replacing your MINI with another one. It really protected you and crumpled itself so YOU weren't crumpled. So sorry about your wreck, and hope that the welt on your forehead is truly your only health issue. Best wishes to you!

Old 04-22-2006, 04:11 PM
eVal
6th Gear
OMG, I hope you are okay - see a doctor after an impact like that for sure! Why is it that the most distracted drivers are often in the largest vehicles? I mean she was even higher up then you and should have seen the stopped traffic from a greater distance

Sorry to hear of the accident, I know exactly how you are feeling - take care

Old 04-22-2006, 04:12 PM
SteyrTMP
2nd Gear
Yeah...

If you look you can see that the frame is bent--look where the rear seats used to be. You can see buckling in the metal... I'd take that as a sign of a bent frame.

Old 04-22-2006, 04:17 PM
asodestrom
6th Gear
Sorry about your car. Glad you are OK. You may want to get an independant appraiser to do a market value study and diminished value claim for you. I am in a similar situation and believe me, your insurance people will be looking out for their own interests first.

Mine wouldn't total it but they know I will be pursuing a diminished value claim.

My plan is to offer it for sale privately and claim the difference between what I sell it for and the market value we agree on. If I can't sell it before my new one gets here then I will ask for the diff between trade-in and market value.

I don't know how hard they will fight me, but we'll see.

Old 04-22-2006, 04:19 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Condolences. Hopefully they total it so you don't have to deal with the aftermath...

Old 04-22-2006, 04:22 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SteyrTMP
If you look you can see that the frame is bent--look where the rear seats used to be. You can see buckling in the metal... I'd take that as a sign of a bent frame.
First, there is no frame. However, just looking at the pics, it appears to be about $7,500-$8,500 damage. Good chance that they will total it.

Steve

Old 04-22-2006, 04:27 PM
SteyrTMP
2nd Gear
Frame/unibody...

I was given 22k as the bluebook price, and then there's all the aftermarket. You have to consider replacing that trim isn't going to be cheap--for the Aero front bumper and all the trim painted costed me 1400 bucks. Along with 500 for the wheel and tire, just cosmetic stuff is going to be expensive. I'd like to see their overall estimate, and see if they have BMW give an estimate as well.

Old 04-22-2006, 04:28 PM
Purple Hazel
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by asodestrom
Sorry about your car. Glad you are OK. You may want to get an independant appraiser to do a market value study and diminished value claim for you. I am in a similar situation and believe me, your insurance people will be looking out for their own interests first.

Mine wouldn't total it but they know I will be pursuing a diminished value claim.

My plan is to offer it for sale privately and claim the difference between what I sell it for and the market value we agree on. If I can't sell it before my new one gets here then I will ask for the diff between trade-in and market value.

I don't know how hard they will fight me, but we'll see.
Ohio doesn't do dimished value.

Old 04-22-2006, 04:28 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dang!! sorry to hear.... was she asleep or something? geeez.

Old 04-22-2006, 04:29 PM
Purple Hazel
2nd Gear
Glad you're ok, sorry about the mini

Old 04-22-2006, 04:37 PM
asodestrom
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Purple Hazel
Ohio doesn't do dimished value.
If you are not at fault then you can get diminished value in every state. You have to push, but it can be done. There are only a few states where diminished value can be awarded if you are at fault.

Old 04-22-2006, 04:38 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow your MINI did a great job of keeping you safe. If it were mine I'd be hoping they'd total it too. My guess is that they probably will. Resale is high on our cars, don't let the insurance company low ball you. Those other cars you've mentioned are nice, but would they hold up as well as your MINI did? I think not.

Glad you're OK!!!

Old 04-22-2006, 05:00 PM
SteyrTMP
2nd Gear
Two more pics--3/4 and side

Old 04-22-2006, 05:03 PM
Louisxiii
4th Gear
Glad to hear that you're doing fine. Sorry to hear about your Mini. I'm very surpised to see how well the Mini took from behind at 55+ (this is mph right? then it would about 100 km/h for me). Also the fact that you had a harness made me actually get one. Good luck on your next purchase and get well soon.

Giancarlo

Old 04-22-2006, 05:07 PM
SteyrTMP
2nd Gear
Yes, 55mph or higher--and there were no skid marks at the scene. As it wasn't a direct center hit, it is not as bad as it could have been, but if I had my camera at the site, I would have taken pictures of her F150 on 3 wheels and the wheel with axle and suspension sitting in the ditch--about 100 feet behind her.

Old 04-22-2006, 05:30 PM
bolus
4th Gear
Wow, glad you are okay. So sad to see the car like that :(

Old 04-22-2006, 05:39 PM
Checkmate
5th Gear
That is completely terrible what happened, but it also has to be comforting it is so safe, being as small at it is. I hope you are able to make the most of it and it's kinda sad we are going to lose a fellow miniac, although your choices sound like fun as well.

Old 04-22-2006, 05:57 PM
ToBFree
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
WOW. Glad you are okay! Perhaps I should invest in those Schroth harnesses.

Wait a minute. This the same MINI I helped change out the rear bumper cover on with you and Chad at the pulley party? <shakes head>

Good luck with your insurance company.

Old 04-22-2006, 06:00 PM
Mishka
6th Gear
That's a heck of a hit! I worked for 7 yrs as an EMT and 13 yrs in law enforcement and have seen many accidents. Your MINI faired quite well for the impact it sustained from a larger vehicle.

Hope everything works out and no other injuries show up from your accident.

Old 04-22-2006, 06:39 PM
SteyrTMP
2nd Gear
What's the blue book value for a loaded 2004 MCS? It has just about everything except the onboard navigation system, the HK sound, and the JCWorks. My insurance has me at 22k... which seems pretty good to consider it's two years old, 39k miles later, and costed me 25 or 26k when I got it new. I'd have to strip all the mods off though :( Won't gain a ton selling those.

Old 04-22-2006, 06:55 PM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't forget personal injury.
I hate to bring it up, but you should be compensated for your injury. Not millions but it should be soomething and that will help some.

Old 04-22-2006, 07:16 PM
Coop d'etat
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Really sorry to hear about your accident. I was rear ended by a girl in a mini-van while I was stopped at a stoplight. She was doing about 40, and I saw the whole thing coming (curb to the right, car to the left and front) and couldn't do anything but lay on the horn. The Mini is in amazing shape as far as Im concerned though! It really proves the safety they put into it. I hope you find one to replace yours that is just as good

-Jake