Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Drivers door window dipper

Old 11-25-2008, 01:00 PM
Craig & Bertie
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drivers door window dipper

My drivers door quit doing the dipping thing, the other door works fine, is there anything I can check before going back to the dealer? Thanks C&B 08 mc

Old 11-29-2008, 10:44 PM
airecken
1st Gear
me too

mine just started having issues too. my driver window dips down every time i open the car door, but it never goes back up. if open and shut too many times the window keeps coming down until i manually put it back up. any ideas what i should do?

Old 11-30-2008, 12:31 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Awhile ago someone posted the procedure to reset the window height mechanism. I think it was something like continuing to hold window toggle for x number of seconds after the window was all the way up. Or, was it down? Anyway, that cured a number of problems with window function.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:20 AM
flyinlow
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If its anything like my Corvette was, you bring the window all the way down holding the button, then keep holding it for a few seconds. Then raise the window all the way up holding the button, then keep holding it for a few seconds. This effectively "indexes" the window. Not sure how many seconds you have to hold the button after the window stops, I would hold it for at least a count of 5.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:23 AM
phild-opmd
Neutral
Do you think this may be the source of a slight rattle/squeak noise from the right side of the car?

Phil D
www.opmd.com

Old 12-12-2008, 01:59 PM
Psychout
1st Gear
Hi guys - I'm still having this same issue reported above...I even took it into the dealer and they reported this as "Normal Operation - Original Spec". When it is quite clearly not dipping to the correct level as per the passenger door.

Any help so I can S.P.E.L.L it out to the Service Technicians...as they are trying to blow this issue off.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:27 PM
kimmy2000
Neutral
Hi,

I am having the same problem, the window no longer dips but when you close the door you can hear it trys to raise it. I had taken it into the dealers and they said they fixed it, but it was excatly the same. Then they mentioned that there is a software upgrade to fix this which is due in mid Jan, so they have told me to rebook it in then. Mine is a UK Cooper D June 2008 Build.

Kimmy

Old 12-21-2008, 02:34 PM
TChezem
2nd Gear
I have had my Clubman to the dealership 3 times, in less than 3 months, for the same problem, it seems my passenger side window always forgets to dip/loses it's memory position within 2 to three weeks after the visit.

My drivers window is possessed! also. I rolled it down and it bounced up and down, and then the auto up/aut down went out, etc. I am very dissapointed with BMW and my dealership, as they are failing to fix the problem. This week will be my 4th visit to the dealership, for the exact same problem.

Do you ever get the feeling, that if you don't give them "All Fives" on the service review, that you'll get crappy service from there forward? I feel like the dealership holds me hostage with the rating system they use as follow up after service. The techs are nice and well educated, the SA is pretty good (he could be more aware of what the cars does vs. just selling service). I worry what happens in 4 years when this is no longer a warranty issue, do we all get to pay $100 to have our windows reset multiple times each year?

This is beggining to remind me of the automatic transmission shift interlock problem that BMW clearly knew about, but would not admit that they had a problem willingly.

How many of us are going to need to "make noise" about this problem before BMW/MINI steps up and fixes it? (Assuming they can????) They have tried three times to fix this on my car, and well here I go for round four on the same problem.

I love the car! The annoying details like this really irk me though. Don't let your dealers and SAs blow this one off. It need to be remedied and solved. How many other MINI owners (that don't use NAM or other websites) are experiencing this problem? It is likely larger than we know.

If anyone figures out how to "train the windows" to the open and close point, please post it. It is no fun waiting at the dealership everytime the windows get possessed.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:02 AM
GregO
4th Gear
window dipping

My passenger side window now dips but will not go back up (except manually). This morning driving in, my driver's side window began rattling, so I drop the window and put it back up to reseal it. No dice, so I try to drop the passenger side window to compare it and "woop, woop, woop" window icon lights up now the window doens't autoup or undip after closing the door . Looking closer, my driver's side window top seal seems crushed, so I wonder if that was part of the original problem, although the passenger side one seems relatively fine???

Just what I wanted, another trip to the dealer. Yay. !$#%$%$$#@!!!
Greg

Old 12-22-2008, 08:56 AM
TChezem
2nd Gear
My Clubman goes back to the dealership tommorrow for service to reset the window dipper programming. Please note, if they reset the entire computer, you have to re-program your radio stations, re-program both keys, and your trip odometer and OBC will be reset to 0s. Just a little "surprise" bonus I got last time I took may car in for service to fix this problem, less than 2 weeks ago. We'll see how it comes out on the fourth attempt to fix the problem.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:01 AM
rexicon
4th Gear
Up, down up again and hold for 15 seconds is what I've heard. I had to use this "reset procedure" recently when my auto-up stopped working.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:06 AM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
I never liked this door dipper idea, had it in my 350Z and it always caused problems too. I'm sure they could have designed a window that didn't need to dip every time you opened the door; after all, 95% of cars don't have this feature.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:46 PM
Browser_23
4th Gear
Please correct me if I am wrong as far as the MINI goes but I know that on some cars with the frameless windows it helps keep the windows intact. On very airtight cars if you shut the door with a frameless window the pressure can blow the window out. have seen videos of it (many years ago). So it is actually a very practical feature. Just seems to forget itself once in a while.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:52 PM
meadbar
2nd Gear
Had enough of holding switches up and down going back to the dealer on 29th for the second time

Old 12-22-2008, 06:10 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Browser_23
Please correct me if I am wrong as far as the MINI goes but I know that on some cars with the frameless windows it helps keep the windows intact. On very airtight cars if you shut the door with a frameless window the pressure can blow the window out. have seen videos of it (many years ago). So it is actually a very practical feature. Just seems to forget itself once in a while.
Interesting, but I doubt cars are that airtight. Air leaks through the air conditioning, door seals, boot seals, the floor, door panels, you name it. I've owned several cars that had frameless windows with no problems and no dipper.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:16 AM
corcoranwtnet
4th Gear
My 2002 Tacoma regular cab had windows with frames. If you didn't roll a window down slightly, it was difficult to close the door due to the air pressure buildup. If you did leave the windows up and slammed the door to close it, you could feel the air pressure buildup in your inner ear. Those were tight doors!

Old 12-23-2008, 05:37 AM
flyinlow
2nd Gear
The cars from the late 60's and early 70's had frameless glass with no window dipper. My 2005 Corvette is frameless as is the Mini. There is one big difference. On the Corvette, the weatherstrip is a V shape and the window fits in the V, thus necessitating the need for a dipper. The Mini is similar, there is a groove it fits in.

I can tell you from experience from owning cars from the late 60's that even with properly adjusted doors and new weatherstripping, you still got air leaks and the windows had a tendency to pull out at higher speeds because of the differential in pressure between the interior and exterior. The air rushing by the window on the outside creates a high pressure and the interior is low pressure causing lift towards the outside, same principle as an airplane wing. On my Corvette, there are no air leaks, wind whistling, etc. its very tight. The reason for the frameless doors is some weight savings but mostly the look.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:55 AM
Browser_23
4th Gear
Originally Posted by flyinlow
The cars from the late 60's and early 70's had frameless glass with no window dipper. My 2005 Corvette is frameless as is the Mini. There is one big difference. On the Corvette, the weatherstrip is a V shape and the window fits in the V, thus necessitating the need for a dipper. The Mini is similar, there is a groove it fits in.

I can tell you from experience from owning cars from the late 60's that even with properly adjusted doors and new weatherstripping, you still got air leaks and the windows had a tendency to pull out at higher speeds because of the differential in pressure between the interior and exterior. The air rushing by the window on the outside creates a high pressure and the interior is low pressure causing lift towards the outside, same principle as an airplane wing. On my Corvette, there are no air leaks, wind whistling, etc. its very tight. The reason for the frameless doors is some weight savings but mostly the look.
Good analogy but you got your low and high pressures reversed. The air rushing by creates a low pressure area. The higher pressure inside causes the window to bow outward.

And for the rest, it is not necessarily the air tightness but how fast the pressure can equalize. If it can't equalize fast enough (better air tightness) then it is hard to close the door and for frameless windows can make the window bow outward. It seems in the case of the MINI that the dip serves 2 purposed based on what I read above. Dip window so it clears the groove and make it so the pressure can equalize easier when closing a door.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:43 PM
TChezem
2nd Gear
Dec 23rd, 2008 left the Clubman at the dealership from 8:00 am until 2:30 PM, SA calls me, says "It's working fine, come get your car anytime today." He also says they don't know why my car has had so many problems with the window dipper and auto up setting and are starting a PUMA case on it....What??

We'll see how long it works this time.....this is the 4th visit for this same problem. Aaaaarrrrrrggghhh!!!! Maybe a custom plate that says "PUMA" would fit my car. The transmission linkage and lock out solenoid were also a PUMA case on my car. Watch for updates on the windows issues.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:33 PM
flyinlow
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Browser_23
Good analogy but you got your low and high pressures reversed. The air rushing by creates a low pressure area. The higher pressure inside causes the window to bow outward.

And for the rest, it is not necessarily the air tightness but how fast the pressure can equalize. If it can't equalize fast enough (better air tightness) then it is hard to close the door and for frameless windows can make the window bow outward. It seems in the case of the MINI that the dip serves 2 purposed based on what I read above. Dip window so it clears the groove and make it so the pressure can equalize easier when closing a door.
Oops, you're right. I was typing quickly and hadn't organized my thoughts.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:33 PM
corningjeff
1st Gear
My passenger window was doing the "dip" - dipping down rather than going up. I tried various "15 second" methods but it did not help. In fact, my window is now stuck 1/2 open and will not go up or down!

Old 12-31-2008, 02:35 PM
TChezem
2nd Gear
Good news? or Bad news? Anyhow, the local MINI dealer just called me...they want me to bring the Clubman in and have them change out the footwell module. This is what Dr. PUMA prescribed. Evidently this module controls the window dippers, turn signals, and a myriad of other items on the car. I expect they (the PUMA crew) think the module is randomly acting up...I would agree with them.

The good news is that since my last visit to reset the window dippers, on 12/23/08, they have worked perfectly since then, flawlessly. I almost want to wait for the dipper to fail again, before I take the Clubman in to have the footwell module changed. If it's not broke, don't fix it, right?

For what it's worth, there's my update on the window dipper issue. My Clubman was one of the first, of many R56/R55s, to have the automatic shift linkage/interlock mechanisms changed out (it's first PUMA case), and now perhaps it will be another leader in the beggining of another bewitched batch of parts (this time the foot well modules?). We'll see. I really hope that mine is an isolated case, but from the notes I see from others I get the idea that there will be many more foot well module changes in the future.

If anyone else has been advised to, or had the foot well module changed out, please put your notes on this thread. BMW NA seems to think the foot well module is part of the window dipper failure (Ghost of Lucas!) issue. It would be interesting to know how many, if any, of these modules have already been switched out, and if doing so corrected the window dipper problem.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:18 PM
SmokeM
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Benibiker
Interesting, but I doubt cars are that airtight. Air leaks through the air conditioning, door seals, boot seals, the floor, door panels, you name it. I've owned several cars that had frameless windows with no problems and no dipper.
No, they can be. I owned a Jeep Wrangler and shutting the full door with the top up moved the back windows. Also, you can feel the difference in pressure with the trunk openned vs. closed with the mini. The door closes easier with the trunk open.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:45 AM
heli_guy
2nd Gear
Hi all,

There are three of us here in Calgary with the problem now. The driver's side window will not close properly (it hits the top and bounces down again).

I had an issue with my passenger window, where it would not auto-up, and that was fixed easily by holding the window toggle down, then wait for 5 seconds, and hold it up and wait for 5 seconds. The car must be running, stopped, with the doors closed for it to work.

This however did not fix my driver's window. I guess I need to take it in to see what is up...

Old 01-04-2009, 05:31 PM
corningjeff
1st Gear
Originally Posted by heli_guy
Hi all,

There are three of us here in Calgary with the problem now. The driver's side window will not close properly (it hits the top and bounces down again).

I had an issue with my passenger window, where it would not auto-up, and that was fixed easily by holding the window toggle down, then wait for 5 seconds, and hold it up and wait for 5 seconds. The car must be running, stopped, with the doors closed for it to work.

This however did not fix my driver's window. I guess I need to take it in to see what is up...
When did you start counting - after the window finished moving (all the way down, for instance), or as soon as you pushed on the toggle? Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drivers door window dipper