Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension Torque steer ,help

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 06:11 PM
larmini
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torque steer ,help

Will a strut brace or anything help with torque steer on cooper clubman s. Or sway bars etc

Old 08-25-2014, 06:17 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Strut brace won't do squat I have wicked torque steer. A good LSD would be your best bet to eliminate it.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:17 PM
vetsvette
Received 452 Likes on 344 Posts
LSD doesn't help much. At least it doesn't in mine.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:56 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
Kinda the nature of front wheel drive, some worse than others. I found a little less pressure on the throttle calmed it down considerably.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:18 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
X-brace helps a bit, but not a ton, with torque steer. I agree that the strut brace is unhelpful there.

--Matt

Old 09-07-2014, 03:26 AM
boxter4ever
3rd Gear
Torque !

Torque arm insert .

Old 09-07-2014, 05:52 AM
Drivehard
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by boxter4ever
Torque arm insert .
Agreed. From what I have read this seem to be the first and easiest mod to do to help the TQsteer For the $ it's worth the try. I'm ordering mine next week.

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Old 09-07-2014, 06:19 AM
larmini
3rd Gear
Where do u get them and what are they

Old 09-07-2014, 06:23 AM
Drivehard
4th Gear
Originally Posted by larmini
Where do u get them and what are they
http://www.nm-eng.com/287/11/0/1456/...rm-insert.html

Nmengineering.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:32 AM
HardTop09
1st Gear
So would a 2009 JCW would not benefit from this? Below a cutout from the link.

"Some late 2007 cars come with this torque arm design. Please visually check your fitment before ordering."

Old 09-07-2014, 06:38 AM
larmini
3rd Gear
I have a 2013 s with sport package. How do you know if u have better one or need it.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:09 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It doesn't matter which model MINI you have. They all HUGELY benefit from a polyurethane torque arm insert or just replacing the entire unit with a new torque arm from a company like BSH. Heck, all FWD cars benefit from a stiffer torque arm!

Beyond that, FWD cars will always have some degree of torque steer due to the physics of the platform. A better LSD will help you put power down more effectively, but it won't solve the torque steer problem.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:41 AM
neonsteve
4th Gear
I have a 2009 Clubman S. When going around a corner, especially at lower speeds with a lot of acceleration, I noticed a lot less slippage of the inner wheel with stickier tires. Went from the 16" Continental run flats to 17" Continental DW Extremes.

Later went to a larger rear sway bar and that helped a little too. I still notice inner wheel slippage a little though like when trying to get through a left turn when the light is turning yellow and turning the steering wheel quickly. Being smooth with the accelerator and steering helps a lot. I don't notice much torque steer, as in I don't really feel the steering wheel getting tugged much, just a little slippage of the inner wheel sometimes which seems to prevent me from accelerating. Could be the DSC kicking in but I don't think so.

I agree that the strut brace does not help with torque steer. And when canyon carving I notice no torque steer or slippage with my setup. I am curious about the torque arm now...

Old 09-07-2014, 09:05 AM
neonsteve
4th Gear
For straight ahead acceleration I think that stickier tires helped the most with torque steer. What tires are you running?

Old 09-08-2014, 12:32 PM
larmini
3rd Gear
Anyone have a link where to get the torque arm from. And is it easy install

Old 09-08-2014, 07:20 PM
Drivehard
4th Gear
Originally Posted by larmini
Anyone have a link where to get the torque arm from. And is it easy install
Look up 6 posts

Old 09-27-2014, 04:16 AM
Drivehard
4th Gear
I did get them and install them. As every one else has said it takes longer to get the car up on stands then to put the inserts in.

I recommend doing it all under the car. No need to unbolt the arm from the small side just loosen it and let the arm swing down once u removed the big end bolt.

Observations on 1 week of having them. Seems to do the job. I noted a slight tiny bit of vibrations transfered to the floor board but it has subsided. I guess until the bushing and the insert found a "happy place". I definitely don't feel and or see the steering wheel jump , jerk, turn to one side nearly as much as it did before the install. ( of course the amount of torque is relative to your right foot and what your doing at that point and time).

Overall 2 thumbs up. For install and effectiveness epically considering the cost of the part

Got mine from the great guys at NmEngineering. I like their stuff.

Regards.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:44 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Also you can one step further and get the Powerflex bushing insert for the small side of the torque arm. This will require a press however and because of this, its not a job the average guy can do at home. I did this at the same time as the NM insert, so I can't say how much more it helps compared to just the NM insert alone. But I'm happy with it! Everyday drivability improved as well!

Old 09-27-2014, 11:39 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 207 Likes on 171 Posts
The Torque Arm Insert will reduce engine movement and allow crisper delivery of
power, but I can't see how it would have any bearing on torque steer.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:07 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Powerflex control arm inserts, there stiffer that the stock soft ones.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:31 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
My GP2 has always suffered from large amounts of TQ Steer, and I keep spending money to make my car faster and faster. All this does is makes my situation worse.

Once, I sold my OEM Coilovers and purchased some KWV2's it helped the TQ steer, but only if I cranked the rebound/compression **** way up.

Now, my third set of C/O are KW V3's with separate rebound and compression adjustments. My TQ steer is almost gone, because I have the rebound a little stiffer, but the compression lighter for life's bumps. Having control of just the rebound, makes the strut move quicker to the ground. Having both tires being pushed to the road, has increased my straight line acceleration, turning in and out or corners.

I'm very happy with the comfort and being able to control, a close to 300hp Mini
Mario

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 09-27-2014, 02:33 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by boxter4ever
Torque arm insert .
This is a great mod and helped, for a more immediate throttle response, because it reduces the motor from rocking. I did not notice it helped with TQ steer at all

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 09-28-2014, 05:01 AM
Drivehard
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cristo
The Torque Arm Insert will reduce engine movement and allow crisper delivery of power, but I can't see how it would have any bearing on torque steer.
As we all know torque steer is inherent to front wheel drive vehicles and is only worse with more powerful ( torque-e ) engines. One of the main causes is unequal length axels. Although mini touts " equal" length axels they really aren't. The right axel is much longer then the left axel ( diff and trans mounted on left side of car ) they do incorporate a center mount to aid in supporting the right longer axel thus reducing the change in angel of the axels at the outer most point under acceleration.

We all agree that the engine trans and diff are 1 unit as they are all bolted together. And in addition to the unequal length axels. There is engine movement. In our case as it's one unit any support of said engine to reduce the angle change of the axels upon acceleration will help withh the torque application. The torque arm and it's insert we are talking about is mounted on the right side of the centerline of the engine assy. And it's there for a good reason. Its aid in the engine movement backwards which also effects the angle of the axels under acceleration.

Stiffening the torque arm therefore aids in mitigating torque steering effects. YMMV

As you can see in this pic. ( excuse the poor representation of layout. But you can see the point ). The angle of the engine upon power application changes. Ours is actually the other way but it makes no difference for our conversation here.

Torque steer ,help-image-372881202.jpg

This is our left side short axel

Torque steer ,help-image-95242648.jpg

This is our right side longer supported axel.

Torque steer ,help-image-1524151093.jpg

I would say that driving the car at 10/10ths ball to the wall and flat out at every acceleration point epically while turning , no bushing insert shy of welding steel arms to everything so nothing moves will help But driving the car spirited under somewhat more normal conditions would benefit from the inserts or full poly inserts

( not affiliated with NM or anybody else )

Just my .02.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:51 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Drivehard
As we all know torque steer is inherent to front wheel drive vehicles and is only worse with more powerful ( torque-e ) engines. One of the main causes is unequal length axels. Although mini touts " equal" length axels they really aren't. The right axel is much longer then the left axel ( diff and trans mounted on left side of car ) they do incorporate a center mount to aid in supporting the right longer axel thus reducing the change in angel of the axels at the outer most point under acceleration.

We all agree that the engine trans and diff are 1 unit as they are all bolted together. And in addition to the unequal length axels. There is engine movement. In our case as it's one unit any support of said engine to reduce the angle change of the axels upon acceleration will help withh the torque application. The torque arm and it's insert we are talking about is mounted on the right side of the centerline of the engine assy. And it's there for a good reason. Its aid in the engine movement backwards which also effects the angle of the axels under acceleration.

Stiffening the torque arm therefore aids in mitigating torque steering effects. YMMV

As you can see in this pic. ( excuse the poor representation of layout. But you can see the point ). The angle of the engine upon power application changes. Ours is actually the other way but it makes no difference for our conversation here.

Attachment 100009

This is our left side short axel

Attachment 100010

This is our right side longer supported axel.

Attachment 100011

I would say that driving the car at 10/10ths ball to the wall and flat out at every acceleration point epically while turning , no bushing insert shy of welding steel arms to everything so nothing moves will help But driving the car spirited under somewhat more normal conditions would benefit from the inserts or full poly inserts

( not affiliated with NM or anybody else )

Just my .02.

Wow thanks for the lowdown on torque steer, this should become a sticky thread under Suspension! Thank you Sir.