Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain VGS thoughts.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 08:44 AM
Spikedacrzyman
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VGS thoughts.....

When you guys did the VGS, did that make a big difference in the way power hits. Anything with gas burning faster, Whats the best way to do this improvement, ETC... I would like to know what peoples feedback is about doing this. Hope to hear back from some people. Thanks Spike

Old 08-18-2006, 09:37 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A little while after I did it, I got a SES light for a lean condition. I then removed the VGS and had my friend(a MINI tech)reset the ECU/DME at the dealer. It's been fine ever since.
I would rather go with the BPV from Detroit Tuned.

Old 08-18-2006, 10:06 AM
Kentiki
5th Gear
I did this a month or so ago. I definitely noticed the boost coming on sooner, and a bit stronger, than with the stock setup. I do notice the IC feels a lot hotter, but then again, it's been VERY hot here in SoFla, so it's hard to judge.

Old 08-18-2006, 11:22 AM
pberry51mini
No Fear Gear
Much smooooother acceleration and engine dynamics for me. Well worth the time and the small expense.

I do plan on replacing my BPV with a detroit tuned one soon though to fix this more permanently.

Pablo

Old 08-18-2006, 11:52 AM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
On my car it made a huge differance, boost came quicker stayed longer; huge differance WOT. I took it off for a little while (just to experiment) huge drop in performance, delayed response to the gas pedal esp. on upshifts. It's back on and I don't seem to have much reason to change it.

On another car I did it on, no noticable effect, whatsoever.

Make sure you get everything tight and routed properly, no leaks and you shouldn't have any issues.

Old 08-18-2006, 12:36 PM
obehave
6th Gear
It works. Do it.

Old 08-18-2006, 01:46 PM
sdv515
4th Gear
there is another thread where someone said that some temperatures were extremely high. i dont know where or who said it. i have it on and just noticed the hitting boost sonner. not more boost per se but for a longer period.

Old 08-18-2006, 01:53 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sdv515
there is another thread where someone said that some temperatures were extremely high. i dont know where or who said it. i have it on and just noticed the hitting boost sonner. not more boost per se but for a longer period.
MSFITOY posted the #s they were siginifcantly higher pre-IC temps, but not enough to make me worried, but it does make IC efficency that much more important.

I know is I had more fun with an ALTA intake and VGS than in a fully prepped JCW car, on the same strech of road 2 runs within an hour of each other, same traffic.

Old 08-18-2006, 01:57 PM
obehave
6th Gear
This thread

His are high, mine are normal. No one else has tested/measured this so there you go.

Old 08-18-2006, 02:03 PM
shankrabbit
6th Gear
Highly recommend!

Though, be careful when you first put it on to make sure ALL of your hose connections are tight. I didn't tighten them perfectly the first time and one day on the highway I was downshifting and POOF, off flies the hose to the FPR.

Of course, didn't find that out until I took the IC off again.

Oh, and wear gloves. If this is the first time you'll be taking your IC off by yourself, it's kind of a pain. Cut my hands up all pretty.

Other then that, it's an amazing mod for such little cost.

Old 08-18-2006, 02:41 PM
sdv515
4th Gear
yes i lost all of the skin on my knuckles with the stupid intercooler.

Old 08-18-2006, 05:11 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
yes i lost all of the skin on my knuckles with the stupid intercooler.

Everytime I remove the intercooler, I leave some skin behind... lol

Old 08-18-2006, 06:44 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DarkMiniCooperS

Everytime I remove the intercooler, I leave some skin behind... lol
What the heck are you guys doing? I have taken mine off a few times and it was simple. I still have all my skin.

LongBoard

Old 08-18-2006, 06:48 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Longboard Mini
What the heck are you guys doing? I have taken mine off a few times and it was simple. I still have all my skin.

LongBoard
First time it took a while but I never left skin behind. and now I can do the whole process on a clod engine ina bout 15 min. (WEAR GLOVES IF THE ENGINE IS HOT !!!!)

Old 08-18-2006, 06:53 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
I have both the VGS and the Detroit Tuned Bypass valve and love the way the car felt after I did it. It pulls harder and I no longer have the Yo Yo's.

LongBoard

Old 08-18-2006, 07:00 PM
PGT
Banned
is this a benefit for an '06, or just the older MCS? VGS vs. the Detroit Tuned piece.....different things?

Old 08-18-2006, 07:24 PM
inimmini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by obehave
This thread

His are high, mine are normal. No one else has tested/measured this so there you go.
My outlet air temps from the SC are normal, too. I posted in
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=71261

I like the VGS mod.

Old 08-18-2006, 07:27 PM
TampaMCS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Patagonian GT
is this a benefit for an '06, or just the older MCS? VGS vs. the Detroit Tuned piece.....different things?
I have an 06, it def is a neat mod. If you are already modded, its nice to have even more low end power!

They are 2 different things, the DT BPV has a stronger spring to help close all the way without doing the vgs, but together they are probably awesome.

Old 08-18-2006, 07:29 PM
PGT
Banned
ok...I'll ask again...VGS? Sorry....the acronym is new to me.

EDIT - found it

Old 08-18-2006, 08:15 PM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear
Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts
with the vgs i find that i come onto boost faster than i did before the mod, almost instantaneous when i press heavily on the go pedal. I do find it hard to drive smoothly sometimes, i should take off the vgs and see if it changes anything...

Old 08-19-2006, 04:00 AM
TampaMCS
5th Gear
I find the same, you have to judiciously use the big pedal...

Old 08-19-2006, 06:20 AM
Spikedacrzyman
3rd Gear
Please let me know how it feels when pulled off. I was thinking of trying this mod out and see how it does. Please let me know Also whats the best way to do this mod. I am looking forward to your comments. Thanks Spike

Old 08-19-2006, 11:39 AM
TampaMCS
5th Gear
I didnt like it, I went back to stock. Should be interesting to see what the DT BPV feels like.

Old 08-28-2006, 02:16 AM
wrecker
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TampaMCS
I didnt like it, I went back to stock. Should be interesting to see what the DT BPV feels like.
I agree, I did not like it either. I have an 05 MCS with Alta CAI, 15% pulley, Craven 2% over lightweight crank pulley, magnaflow exhaust.

I never had any yo-yo to eliminate, I will say it improved my gas mileage about 1 mpg, but saw no significant gains in power, low end or high. It actually seemed to have a little more hesitation at the lower RPM's.

I took the mod one step further, I lengthend all of the hoses and brought them up beside the Alta CAI box so I could swap lines without removing the IC each time. Just swap out the line to the bpv with either the VGS line or the original line and use a vacuum cap on the other. I have put about 2K miles on with the VGS and just swapped back to original yesterday. I drove to work this AM and was much happier with the performance, smoother and no hesitation in the lower RPM.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 10-24-2006, 05:44 AM
Johan
5th Gear
Ok here's my thoughts, I have logged about 5000 miles with VGS and the last 1000 without...On MY mini I think it made the flat spot worst. The BPV wouldn't come on slow it was either wide open or shut, and with a quickness. The car was extremly jerky and would nearly snap my neck off sometimes trying to feather the throttle through a turn. My EGT temps were about the same either way. It was nice how fast the boost would come on, but theproblem is that the boost would cut off just as quick. For example if I were wide open throttle and took my foot off quick, the car would give a good hard buck. After I removed the VGS I felt such a relief and drivability was MUCH better! The boost was smoother coming on and off, the flat spot I feel was better, and overall the car was more fun to drive. Just MY thoughts -- Johan

Maybe with a stock mini it would be different

Quick Reply: Drivetrain VGS thoughts.....