Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Do I Need a Porter Cable Polisher?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 10:32 AM
Stringmaster
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I Need a Porter Cable Polisher?

Since Santa is on the way and I've been good, I was considering a PC, but not sure I really need one. I guess you could say I'm not a seriously OCD detailer, but I'd like to keep my MINI nice--I'll probably wax a couple/three times a year, and use QD regularly. I might do my other vehicles once a year or so.

Should I just continue doing my waxing/polishing by hand, or should I take the plunge into power tools? I would want to make sure I'd be 100% safe with the PC, so as not to do paint damage. How much does it weigh? The last time (about 20 years ago), I tried to polish my car with a power buffer, my arms about fell off in a few minutes--plus I took some extra paint off, down to the metal, because of my lack of experience--this was using professional body shop equipment that my friend brought home, but I was no pro!
Thoughts?

Old 12-02-2006, 10:57 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want to wax your car faster get a PC.

If you want to have the easiest time to remove the wax where the wax just glides off instead of requiring a lot of work to remove due to not putting an even thin layer of wax on, get a PC.

If you see swirls in your paint and want to remove them, get a PC.

If you think you might damage your paint with a PC, then it's time to buy my DVD. Actually you should buy this before you get a PC so you can feel comfortable when it's time to use it.

Read this thread about how the PC and my DVD helped this NAM member.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=85168

The PC isn't a rotary buffer. It's not going to hurt your paint, unless you drop it on your MINI! You can hold it firmly over one spot for several minutes and the paint will neither be hot nor harmed by this. With a professional rotary buffer, in a few seconds your paint will be smoking. The PC is NOT this type of buffer.

I say get one, you won't be disappointed. (unless you don't watch my DVD )

Richard

Originally Posted by Stringmaster
Since Santa is on the way and I've been good, I was considering a PC, but not sure I really need one. I guess you could say I'm not a seriously OCD detailer, but I'd like to keep my MINI nice--I'll probably wax a couple/three times a year, and use QD regularly. I might do my other vehicles once a year or so.

Should I just continue doing my waxing/polishing by hand, or should I take the plunge into power tools? I would want to make sure I'd be 100% safe with the PC, so as not to do paint damage. How much does it weigh? The last time (about 20 years ago), I tried to polish my car with a power buffer, my arms about fell off in a few minutes--plus I took some extra paint off, down to the metal, because of my lack of experience--this was using professional body shop equipment that my friend brought home, but I was no pro!
Thoughts?

Old 12-02-2006, 11:10 AM
ARTSJCW
6th Gear
You need a PC. Much faster and better results.

Old 12-02-2006, 02:28 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
i would get it if santa's going to get it for you... also ask santa to
throw in pads.

but be prepared to spend another $1k on 'other' detailing goodies.
well, thanks to me ( ) i already did the leg work for you guys so
just get the Prima package and you're all set.

i thought Prima was great from the get go and Octaneguy supports it.
so you got wide approval from an amature to pro. that says a lot.

Old 12-02-2006, 02:49 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy

then it's time to buy my DVD. Actually you should buy this before you get a PC ...
Just so you hear it from someone not financially tied to the DVD sale, it's a great place to learn how to use the PCDA.

I still apply my zaino by hand and buff it off by hand, but the PCDA is a wonderful tool for paintwork polishing and swirl-mark removal. It's also a very safe tool to use and learn with.

Along with the PCDA, you will need a set of foam pads. See the kit sold at www.detailersparidise,com or www.autopia-carcare.com. There are other foam pads sets that will work perfectly well but the DP set and the sonus pads from autopia always seem to get good reviews.

Old 12-02-2006, 08:24 PM
OctaneGuy
Re: Foam Pads
There are different systems out there.
DetailersParadise.com is the corrected URL from agrangers post, uses the Lake Country pad system. Sonus is similar.

Meguiar's is completely different. I've said this before, and I will say it again. Choose your system, learn it well, and use it often. IMO, the Meguiar's system is the simplest and easiest to learn. It has the least number of variables to deal with and that's important when you are first starting out. As you get better, having more options is helpful, and you can stay with the Meguiar's system and get all you can out of it, or you can try a different manufacturers system.

The end result will be the same--it's just how you want to get there.

Today, I find a combination of Meguiar's and DetailersParadise products to be my ideal solution. I use the Meguiar's pads and polishes with the DP wax and polishes interchangeably.

And while it's true I'm "financially tied" to my DVD, I'm not sure how my experience should be discounted any less, just because I was responsible for producing it, read what members from our SCG forum have said about the DVD.
Well I just finished watching the video and I am very impressed. It is well worth the money. I can't tell you the amount of tips that I learned from watching it and some of the things that I found I was doing wrong with the Porter Cable. Like they say "Knowledge is power". Mike takes the time to go over issues several times in the video and keeps reinforcing points. I will definitely be looking for future videos from you guys.-Pats300zx

...What really surprised me however was the thoroughness of the information being covered! I have well over 20 years of detailing experience, and many of the tips and suggestions Mike made, were things that I discovered over the years the hard way! In fact, whether you are an amateur at detailing or even the seasoned Professional, there is something in the video for everyone! Again, many of the tips and tricks Mike teaches are things that take most people many years to discover! For any amateur, these tips are priceless in my opinion!-2hotford

For me this DVD is priceless, best money detail related that I have ever spent. I was able to pick up alot from mike. So many things I was doing wrong or not using the best technique. But not only the techniques that he teaches where beneficial to me, I was also able to take away more confidence and motivation in my detailing and made me feel more comfortable doing the next detail.- Arousa

Well I have to say I'm on my 3rd viewing and I just keep finding things I never knew. This video is a must for beginning detailers. - Mark Maguire

Just recieved my copy a few days ago. I am a complete newbie to detailing and I got a TON of great info from this for both applying by hand, and also using a DA. I also got a DA about a week and a half ago, but was waiting to get the DVD before I tried it out. I'm glad I did as I would've made some of the mistakes mentioned in the video. It was great to see an explination of the proper hand speed to use.- Robbo

I got mine yesterday and watched it last night. Awesome video! I wish I had it two years ago when I got my PC...would have helped me from making some obviuos mistakes!- Volunteer1816

Way to GO! YOU have knocked one out of park with this!
Take a bow, smile and punch your fists into the air because you did good [a Southern saying]. I took 8 pages of notes to double check myself and my techniques to see if I was using the correct techniques recommended and to help remember the many “tips” that are discussed as well as shown. I know that I will refer back many times during the rest of my career detailing and I will require all new hires and current employees to review this HTPC CD once a year so that we are all on the same page when it comes to talking about and taking care of the paint. All future HOW-TO CD’s that are made by SCG Productions will also be required watching as part of working with me.
Do you sell stock?
-ibstoney1

Originally Posted by agranger
Just so you hear it from someone not financially tied to the DVD sale, it's a great place to learn how to use the PCDA.

I still apply my zaino by hand and buff it off by hand, but the PCDA is a wonderful tool for paintwork polishing and swirl-mark removal. It's also a very safe tool to use and learn with.

Along with the PCDA, you will need a set of foam pads. See the kit sold at www.detailersparidise,com or www.autopia-carcare.com. There are other foam pads sets that will work perfectly well but the DP set and the sonus pads from autopia always seem to get good reviews.

Old 12-02-2006, 08:45 PM
MINI Monkey
5th Gear
I just order a PC from www.autodetailingsolutions.com last night. After seeing Octane Guy fix a bad spot in my paint at the dragon with his, a PC has been on my list of things to get. It has a lifetime warrenty and there is a few different PC bundle packs to choose from. I thought there prices seemed pretty good.

Richard's DVD is incredable helpful. It walks you though the whole process and answered every question I had. I recommend it highly.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:13 PM
El_Jefe
6th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
pc allows for an even job and a faster one.

its cool in many ways, yet, hands can do the same thing just have to work at it. you also have to be good with you hands and used to manual labor.

One day, I will get a pc or the one from griot's because I think Octaneguy is sexy and it makes me think of him when I detail.

Old 12-03-2006, 12:11 AM
OctaneGuy
What can I say??? It's all that working out day in and day out. Too bad you aren't a girl.
Originally Posted by El_Jefe
One day, I will get a pc or the one from griot's because I think Octaneguy is sexy and it makes me think of him when I detail.

Old 12-03-2006, 09:27 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Too bad you aren't a girl.
doesn't look like he minds.

Old 12-04-2006, 12:15 AM
El_Jefe
6th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Old 12-04-2006, 07:29 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
NEED it? No.

Just never try one or you WILL want one. Bad. Honestly, once you PC your car, you'll never want to go back to doing it by hand.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:29 AM
PredMini
3rd Gear
Get the OctaneGuy's video! That alone will probably convince you to get the PC. It's only small change and you could probably resell it on NAM if you didn't decide to get the PC.

Aside from dropping the PC on the car I think you'd have to be very deliberate to damage your finish. I was apprehensive about the PC at first. I was afraid I'd hurt my baby! After watching the vid and doing the test spot you'll have no worries. Once you have a chance to actually work one you'll be glad you got it. I haven't had mine on my Mini yet, but it was a HUGE help on my 07 Suburban. I'd have never attempted it by hand.

I picked up the # 2 NXT Package @ http://www.autodetailingsolutions.co...20Specials.htm along with a couple of other things and have been very happy with the results. Don't by shy, go ahead and ask Santa!

Disclaimer : Auto Detailing is an addiction. Once you spring for the polisher don't be suprised if you quickly spend as much or more on chemicals and other detailing goodies. Welcome to the club!

Old 12-04-2006, 12:09 PM
Prima Car Care
Banned
Once you get the PC, you'll never go back! I won't be redundant, so I'll just say for all the good reasons OctaneGuy listed in his first post.

I would also recommend OctaneGuy's DVD. The PC is such a safe and easy tool that it truly is a no-brainer to use. However, the DVD (and/or other PC training, like we offer here locally in CO) really helps boost your confidence with it (which will likely help you maximize its potential) and helps speed you through the learning curve. Even though I think the learning curve is quite short on the PC, why stumble along the first few times when someone else already has and can share their knowledge?

There are several pad systems out there... ours (Lake Country), Meguiars, Griot's, Sonus/Autopia. IMHO, the broader pad systems (read: more types of pads), such as our Lake Country system and the Sonus/Autopia system are better because they give you so many more variations in your techniques, allow for different responses from different paint (ie, your MINI paint will react a little differently than your, say, BMW paint), and will help you attain perfection more precisely. Having said that, the systems with fewer pads do make the process more simple... it's just that they can be very limiting too.

We offer a PC and Pad Bundle which consists of the PC, the hook and loop (aka Velcro) backing plate, and 1 each of the 4 main types of pads (cutting, swirl removing, polishing & finishing/waxing). We offer this as a discounted set for $179.95. And as always, orders over $100 ship for free.

We setup this bundle so that the hobbyist will be fully equipped for just about anything! Beyond this bundle, all you would need are your polishes and wax.

Hope this helps!

-Heather

Old 12-04-2006, 12:14 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Heather, Do you know if your company's pads will fit Griot's RO polisher ?

Old 12-04-2006, 12:34 PM
trentf
2nd Gear
True!

Originally Posted by ImagoX
NEED it? No.

Just never try one or you WILL want one. Bad. Honestly, once you PC your car, you'll never want to go back to doing it by hand.
That is a very true statement. OctaneGuy has twice worked his magic on my MINI. I have not done hand polishing/waxing since. The PC is a great tool (and hopefully under the x-mas tree already!) and with the tips I've learned from OctaneGuy, there is no reason to go back to doing it by hand!

Old 12-04-2006, 02:54 PM
moreorless
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want to wax your car faster get a PC.

If you want to have the easiest time to remove the wax where the wax just glides off instead of requiring a lot of work to remove due to not putting an even thin layer of wax on, get a PC.

If you see swirls in your paint and want to remove them, get a PC.

If you think you might damage your paint with a PC, then it's time to buy my DVD. Actually you should buy this before you get a PC so you can feel comfortable when it's time to use it.

Read this thread about how the PC and my DVD helped this NAM member.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=85168

The PC isn't a rotary buffer. It's not going to hurt your paint, unless you drop it on your MINI! You can hold it firmly over one spot for several minutes and the paint will neither be hot nor harmed by this. With a professional rotary buffer, in a few seconds your paint will be smoking. The PC is NOT this type of buffer.

I say get one, you won't be disappointed. (unless you don't watch my DVD )

Richard
Ok gang, now don't laugh, but I really like the feel of the MINI.

Alright, I heard that!

But seriously I like the feel of the MINI under my hand. I also liked the feel of my '66 Chevelle. My wifes 4Runner does nothing for me, but the MINI and the Chevelle just feel good. I like the flow of the lines, I like the symmetry. But then I do the same thing when building a piece of furniture, that's why I use Tung oil on the finished pieces 'cause I get to rub the oil into the piece by hand.

Alright, let the snickers commence....

...Les

Old 12-05-2006, 07:24 AM
S Curvz
6th Gear
NEED it? No.

I feel bad you got hocked on the PC and I kinda feel responsible. Why dont you heat your garage. You share your garage space, i will share the PC through the winter.

Stringmaster - Yes, you want a PC and Richards DVD. I bought the DVD but didnt watch in until after I put the final wax on my car for the season. It was watch the dvd or wax the car...I waxed. I have been using a PC for 7 years....and I learned a ton from the DVD. If your going to spend money and time detailing your car...get the DVD.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:15 PM
Prima Car Care
Banned
Originally Posted by Chili Red & Pepper White
Heather, Do you know if your company's pads will fit Griot's RO polisher ?
Yes, Lake Country pads (which are the pads we sell) fit on the Griot's RO polisher. The Griot's polisher has a fixed hook and loop (aka Velcro) backing plate. The Lake Country pads are also hook and loop and will mount directly on the Griot's polisher/plate.

We carry the standard 6.5" foam pads, the curved-edge 6.5" foam pads, and the 4" foam pads. I wouldn't try the 4" pads with the Griot's polisher because that plate is so big (with the PC you would just use a smaller detachable backing plate for this size pad). Either of the 6.5" pads would work great with the Griot's polisher though. I recommend the standard 6.5" type.

-Heather

Old 12-05-2006, 12:30 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks, Heather... appreciate the great info, as always !

Thanks for describing my Griots R/O Polisher to me... I haven't actually seen it yet because it's under the Christmas Tree.

Your standard 6.5" foam pads. Match the color of the pad to the product I'm using. Got it.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:38 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by S Curvz
I feel bad you got hocked on the PC and I kinda feel responsible. Why dont you heat your garage. You share your garage space, i will share the PC through the winter.
It IS all Sean's fault... "the first one's always free" indeed. Don't feel bad though - I'm just thankful you let me borrow yours.

Sean, I have a heater in my garage now, bro. Hopefully, Santa granted my wish though and one's being loaded onto the sleigh as we speak. It was SO worth standing in line to sit on his lap at the mall, and DAMN the funny looks I got from everyone!

Old 12-05-2006, 01:44 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I heard that the TRUE Santa suit is made from DP Monster Fluffy towels.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:49 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
::: raises eyebrow :::

"Ho, ho, ho!", indeed.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:50 PM
S Curvz
6th Gear
It IS all Sean's fault... "the first one's always free" indeed. Don't feel bad though - I'm just thankful you let me borrow yours.

Sean, I have a heater in my garage now, bro. Hopefully, Santa granted my wish though and one's being loaded onto the sleigh as we speak. It was SO worth standing in line to sit on his lap at the mall, and DAMN the funny looks I got from everyone!
Very nice. I too have a heater in the garage, but there is a difference between having a heater in a garage and having a heated garage.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:54 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
La de freaking da... Real men can take a bit of chill.

Quick Reply: Do I Need a Porter Cable Polisher?