Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Paulo Uber Stubby Antenna Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 08:51 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paulo Uber Stubby Antenna Issues

In January of 07 when I purchased my Mini the same evening my brother ordered a P.U. Black Anodized antenna for me. Took about 2 weeks to be delivered, but thats not the issue, just a data point. As you can see in the image below the Antenna on the right has turned purple. That was the orginal antenna purchased in January of 07. I called the company and left a message, no reply. I called a week later and spoke to someone, I forget whom it was. They told me they had issues with the antenna's that were anodized in the L.A area turnign purple and they would send me a new one. A week later the new one arrives. Thats the one on the left. To my eyes that is not an anodized piece it looks painted. It has orange peel like paint. There are small chips on the side that was facing forward, they look like paint chips. At AMVIV I discussed this issue with the person that claimed to be Sir Patrick. I was told that it was anodized in the UK due to the issues with the L.A. based shop and "they do it differently". If yuo look at the image those are paint splatters on the base. You can see the texture of both as well. The right one, anodized, looks like a piece of metal that has been anodized. You can see the machine marks as one would when anodizing. The one on the left has orange peel. After all I've read and heard about this company I'm not going to waste my time or my dime calling them again. The replacement is clearly a painted item. I was out and out LIED to by a person claiming to be Sir Partick at AMVIV.

If you read this P.U. people, just like your intials in this case your quality stinks too.

Old 04-01-2007, 01:07 AM
SayGoodbye
6th Gear
Looks like they are sourcing out a different antenna from a different supplier. I wonder where their new wing comes from?

Old 04-01-2007, 05:54 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
If they "market" anodized and you got anything else then its false advertising. It would be appropriate to get this confirmed - perhaps a member here w/ anodizing knowledge/experience could look at it and confirm/negate.

Perhaps it could confirmed/negated with more pics.

Could this be "hand painted" by the "artist" Palo Uber?

Old 04-01-2007, 06:26 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like anouther Uber moment. I wonder whom they will threaten to sue about this one??

Old 04-01-2007, 06:49 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
Looks like anouther Uber moment.
You know NAM is a tough place, perhaps at times too tough but at the end of the day real information/feedback is produced (at least that is my sentiments). I appreciate that for vendors; we can be a tough community to please. At the same time, we offer the financial rewards to those vendors that participate, deliver and bring quality products to market.

I look forward to PU's participation in this thread.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:23 AM
SpunkytheTuna
4th Gear
Color anodizing fades in the sun. The color is just a dye put in the anodizing solution, and it degrades when exposed to UV light. Some colors are more stable than others, but they all fade over time. You can prolong it's life by using some sort of UV blocking coating.

Black turns purple, blue fades, red pinks.

That's the way it goes.

That part's not Uber's fault necessarily.

If they sold you a painted part that they told you was color anodized, that might be another thing, but paint will often be more color stable than color anodizing is. But you're right, it's not the same thing.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:13 AM
gnatster
6th Gear
I know anodizing turns in time, but 2 months in the winter when the sun is lowest in the sky. The car is garaged most of the time and is not a daily driver. It had 1800 miles on it when I first noticed the issue. Always hand washed with gentle soaps, no Dawn or stuff like that.

The kicker to me is telling me the new one is NOT painted and is double anodized. Here are 2 more pictures. Look at the level of orange peel. It's not even a good paint job!

Look at the chips here, anodizing does not chip like this.

I bought anodized, it failed quickly and they acknowledged an issue and replaced it. The replacement is not as billed even though I was assured by the rep at AMVIV that British anodizing is different and it is anodized. If there was an issue with anodizing and now they have to offer a painted one at least have the decency to be honest and tell me. I'm not unreasonable, Stuff happens, changes sometimes need to be made in product specs. But tell me, don't try to pull the wool over my eyes.

I'm fed up with P.U., I asked their rep, they could have been honest. Since they were not I did not bother contacting them again about this issue and chose to air my greivance, alibet a small one, in public to add to the public knowledge of how this farce of a company works.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:43 AM
amorican
4th Gear
This does not surprise me in the least! Save your time, money and frustration, and get an Alta stubby for half the price...mine still looks new after 2 years.

What a joke Palo Uber is all around. Enough already.

TJM

Old 04-01-2007, 10:04 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by gnatster
Look at the level of orange peel. It's not even a good paint job!
That is a TERRIBLE paint job, but meticulously hand crafted.

3" UBER ANTENNA.....
SKU: 9h

A new concept design by Palo Uber for 2007. Rid your Mini Cooper of the "RC Car" oem look with the billet Palo Uber antenna. Maintains same reception as the stock antenna but features a low sleek apperance. Makes an incredible visual appearance to your Mini. Each antenna is machined by hand from aircraft grade aluminum. Meticulously hand crafted in England. Each antenna is anodized in Uber winter black or Uber clear which has a transparent coloring that is truely incredible.The silver antenna is protected by this Uber clear formula.
PRICE: $49.95

Old 04-01-2007, 10:05 AM
supercoopers
3rd Gear
Get a OEM Honda S2000 aerial and your worries will be solved They are brilliant. Stubby yet great reception; I've had one since day one.

Cheers,

Henry

Old 04-01-2007, 01:08 PM
SpunkytheTuna
4th Gear
I know anodizing turns in time, but 2 months in the winter when the sun is lowest in the sky. The car is garaged most of the time and is not a daily driver. It had 1800 miles on it when I first noticed the issue. Always hand washed with gentle soaps, no Dawn or stuff like that.

The kicker to me is telling me the new one is NOT painted and is double anodized. Here are 2 more pictures. Look at the level of orange peel. It's not even a good paint job!
You're absolutely right. I didn't know how quickly the other one faded and hadn't looked close enough to see what a hack-job spritzed in the garage paint job that is. I've done better jobs than that going rattle-rattle-foosh standing in my driveway.

If I were you, I'd be just as ticked off.

Old 04-01-2007, 04:05 PM
Rogue Cooper
3rd Gear
Still no recourse from Palo Uber? Hmm..

Anyway the "replacement" is clearly painted. That's the trouble with buying over the internet.

I would be fuming right now.

Old 04-01-2007, 04:40 PM
minjae
6th Gear
that sucks..i'd be pissed. but so in conclusion..get the alta? haha im trying to get one. x]

Old 04-01-2007, 05:57 PM
nparker
4th Gear
Here's the one I got for my car about 3 years ago. It was anodized and has faded slightly. Can't really tell though.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/O-Bla...QQcmdZViewItem

Here's another style:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLACK...QQcmdZViewItem

And one more:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLACK...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 04-01-2007, 07:29 PM
El_Griton
6th Gear
I was hoping it would be like 300$ for that bad boy.......way to disappoint uber!!!!!

Old 04-01-2007, 07:49 PM
mini b
2nd Gear
My "clear anodized" Palo Uber antenna has gone to poop in a matter of 6 months. It looks like it has black specks all over it. I've said it before and I'll say it again...PALO UBER...NEVER AGAIN.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:10 PM
jimz68
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
At AMVIV I discussed this issue with the person that claimed to be Sir Patrick.
You mean someone actually admitted an association to PU?
Jim

Old 04-02-2007, 07:32 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
I have said this numerous times - we do not make enough useage of the REVIEW SECTION. Its keeps things short and sweet and askes for pro and con. I encourage that you all post a product review which will help others in selecing products.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:09 AM
PGT
Banned
my black anodized McGard SplineDrive's have a similar purple patina when new out of the box. As for the replacement, that looks like they sprayed an alloy antenna with an underbody coating or something from the finish.

I've got the old reliable....stubby rubber S2000 antenna - hard to beat for $12

Old 04-02-2007, 09:52 PM
GoodFinder
4th Gear
My Palo Uber stubby antenna turned the same "purple" (from original black) in a very short period of time. I set it in the drawer and put one of my other stubby antennas on the GP. This thread reminds me I need to contact PU to see what's up!

Old 04-02-2007, 10:11 PM
Nuff
4th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Me too ...

While I really liked the design of the P.U. Stubby Antenna (I have an Alta Stubby, too) I definitely do not like the faded purple look. I too have contacted P.U. and will let you know what they say.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:58 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bahamabart
I have said this numerous times - we do not make enough useage of the REVIEW SECTION. Its keeps things short and sweet and askes for pro and con. I encourage that you all post a product review which will help others in selecing products.
Look, Sir Patrick, people are entitled to bit*h when they are ripped off. I, for one, am glad to learn of these issues so that I will know who to order or not order from.

Last edited by Loony2N; 04-03-2007 at 03:59 AM. Reason: censorship
Old 04-03-2007, 05:05 AM
PGT
Banned
/\ what happened here LynnEl? a moderator edit your comments??

Last edited by LynnEl : Today at 06:59 AM. Reason: censorship

Old 04-03-2007, 05:21 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
/\ what happened here LynnEl? a moderator edit your comments??

Last edited by LynnEl : Today at 06:59 AM. Reason: censorship

Old 04-03-2007, 07:20 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LynnEl
no, i tried to type the obvious word for a female dog and it automatically turned into "*****", so I edited.
Glad to see that you found a way to bypass the swear filter.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Paulo Uber Stubby Antenna Issues