1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof or no?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 12:10 PM
LondonCalling
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Tancho -

I just hold down the "wings" on my key and the windows and sunroof open as long as I hold it down. I thought this was just part of the deal. Is it not anymore?

Old 05-13-2007, 12:57 PM
princeofwaldo
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gotta have one to intimidate those tail-gating SUVs. Something about seeing me with a bowling ball in my hand as I open the sunroof makes them drop off my bumper.

But seriously, I can't imagine driving a Mini without one. Would be one thing if the Mini sunroof were like every other on the road, but it isn't. Very big and when added to the sky-light above the rear seat it makes the car what it is.

Old 05-13-2007, 08:33 PM
iTao
1st Gear
Thanks for everyone's reply!

The dealer tolde me that the sunroof makes the interior space 3 inches shorter. But, it does look nice.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:55 PM
dix
6th Gear
While I like the look of my sunroof...it absolutely bakes the interior of my car during the summer. Sunroof + leather seats= hot rump roast. Next Mini, NO sunroof, I've already decided!!

Old 05-13-2007, 10:14 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Had I known that i was going to get this deep into the performance aspect of the car I would not have ordered it with one . It is 55 lbs in the worst possible place as far as cornering goes. It also has had its rattle issues from time to time but its the weight that is the big minus to me personally.

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 05-13-2007, 10:39 PM
dix
6th Gear
Originally Posted by maxmini
Had I known that i was going to get this deep into the performance aspect of the car I would not have ordered it with one . It is 55 lbs in the worst possible place as far as cornering goes. It also has had its rattle issues from time to time but its the weight that is the big minus to me personally.

Randy
M7 Tuning
The rattle...I hate the rattle! I drive 5 miles an hour on my gravel road to try to maintain the integrity of my car and the sunroof still rattles!! :impatient Very annoying.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:54 PM
Jurrell
4th Gear
This is my first car with a sunroof, I love it. There's nothing like driving on a beautiful day with all the windows down and a hand sticking out of the sunroof.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:32 AM
gforce23
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dix
While I like the look of my sunroof...it absolutely bakes the interior of my car during the summer. Sunroof + leather seats= hot rump roast. Next Mini, NO sunroof, I've already decided!!
That's what limo tints (5%) are for.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:08 AM
StGabriel
2nd Gear
I opted for no sunroof. Reasons:

* You get a lot moree headroom without, with a sunroof installed I didn't have enough.
* I didn't like the look of it, how it "breaks up" the the otherwise distinctive and handsome roof. Since taking up interest in MINI's I notice this a lot when looking at other cars...the ones without sunroofs look cleaner/nicer to me (although this is mitigated if you go with a black roof).
* I don't want to work harder to keep my car cool. I live in Sunny Southern Cal and I've gotten slightly sunburned driving to work and I already have the A/C on more often than I'd like.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:57 AM
princeofwaldo
4th Gear
Originally Posted by maxmini

Randy
M7 Tuning
I can't imagine that 55 pounds is going to make that much difference either way. Although the concept does provide a great excuse to nix the boob job plans of any regular passenger. "Sorry honey, --it isn't the expense of it, honest it isn't-- It's just that the corning on the Mini...,, -well, you know..."

Old 05-21-2007, 08:38 AM
dennisd63
5th Gear
I opted for the sunroof. In Canada we only have 3 months of hot weather, then about 5 months of average to cool weather, and then 4 months of absolute freezing weather. In winter, we need all the sunlight we can get. In summer, it's so short that you want to collect all the heat and sunlight you can get. The heck with a/c...open the sunroof and windows and let the remaining hair on my head fly!

I would think it depended on where you lived...if you get lots of sun and don't like it, don't get the roof. If you don't get much sun...get it. If you like it...get it...if you don't like it..don't get it! Simple?

Old 05-21-2007, 09:34 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mini44
Yes , yes oh yes. Important for resale too
Not if the buyer doesn't want a sunroof. We've been looking for a second Mini from time to time, and everytime we find one that is close, it's got a sunroof, and that's a deal-breaker for us.

Extra weight, possible leak problems, more mechanical/electricals to go wrong... If you want open air, get a Cabriolet.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:45 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
I got the sunroof 'cause it's hard to see the stars through the other roof.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:49 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
I got the sunroof 'cause it's hard to see the stars through the other roof.
So who's watching the road while you're looking at the stars?

Old 05-21-2007, 12:31 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Back in time awhile, if your car had Any roof it wouldn't have been considered a sports car. I live in central California, don't get much hotter here than anywhere in the USA and haven't had a problem with my car getting to hot inside. All cars are hot inside in the summers here .

Old 05-21-2007, 01:37 PM
mixdorfs
2nd Gear
Clearly personal preference. I have allergies, so don't drive with the windows open much. I'd rather see to drive rather than have itchy eyes!

Old 05-21-2007, 10:43 PM
hotjanitors2
1st Gear
i absolutely love my sunroof but i hate the rattle!!!
it usually only rattles when its closed so its just an excuse to open it. ha

Old 05-21-2007, 11:13 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by iTao
Hi,

Is it good to have the sunroof? Any pros or cons?

thanks
It's good to have a sunroof if you want a sunroof.

I have a 2003 MCS with hardtop no sunroof, bought off the lot, sunroof not an option I was willing to pay for. I don't miss it.

My last car before the MINI was a Maxima with sunroof that worked for 2 years then leaked and didn't fit right and was fixed then went and broke again another 2 years later. I operated but leaked and didn't close tight.

For the MINI the sunroof is large and black so it matches the dark top but not really on the white roof (big contrast). Some owners will do a white graphic on the sunroof and that does work well.

The sunroof lets in alot of light, wind, and outside noise. If you like the open air feel then it's fine but for those who like to listen to radio or music it isn't so helpful.

For racing the added and high positioned weight is unwanted about 56 pounds estimated.

For electronics on the MINI it's another thing to break or worry about.

It robs a little headroom from the ceiling.

Added sunlight in a sunny climate can be strong enough to sunburn, just be careful.

A sunroof adds to resale value most of the time.

I have a sunroof in my new Civic sedan and close it up, hardly use it. Lets in quite a bit of heat during the day. Usually open the liner at night to see the stars and keep the noise out.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:48 PM
dix
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gforce23
That's what limo tints (5%) are for.
Hate to disagree...but with my tint...still darn HOT!! I've been driving a MINI for over a year...no sunroof next MINI!

Old 05-24-2007, 05:54 PM
JohnnyF
4th Gear
For me, the sunroof is a must-have. I used the sunroof in my old car all the time (partially because I had no A/C), but still have been using it in the MINI with regularity. The weight isn't much of a concern for me, though I will eventually get into autocross and other fun stuff. I'm not stuper concerned about electrical or mechanical issues, and my sunroof has been quiet for all of the 120 miles or so I have on it currently (knock on wood).

Old 05-24-2007, 06:01 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been skipping the sunroof (on both my MINIs) because of weight (not that I race or anything...just optimizing) but also because the MINI sunroof has a mesh visor that lets a lot of light in. It has no solid shade (although some enterprising folks have found remedies for this). Being warm-natured, living in Texas, and having my MINI parked in direct sun all summer meant it would be something of a liability. There are days when it would be nice though...

Last edited by gokartride; 05-24-2007 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:25 PM
Coffeeman
4th Gear
My MCS has the antracite headliner, with sunroof. If you are ordering the dark headliner, I would recommend getting the pano roof, as it "opens up" the interior.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:31 PM
snkbte
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Gromit801
Not if the buyer doesn't want a sunroof. We've been looking for a second Mini from time to time, and everytime we find one that is close, it's got a sunroof, and that's a deal-breaker for us.

Extra weight, possible leak problems, more mechanical/electricals to go wrong... If you want open air, get a Cabriolet.
My thoughts exactly. No thanks, I'll take mine plain...

Old 05-25-2007, 12:42 PM
Ferroequine
4th Gear
I opted for no sunroof for three reasons:
  • I am 6'-2"
  • I thought it would would look rather silly having a nice white roof with a big ol' black square in the middle of it.
  • You had to buy the entire "Premium Package". Couldn't order it by itself in Canada.

Last edited by Ferroequine; 05-25-2007 at 12:46 PM.