1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to forums (and Mini's)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 07:58 PM
rthomas555
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to forums (and Mini's)

Ordered my mini 1 week ago, obviously can't wait for it to show up! (yes I have my VIN)
MCS with premium, LSD, DSC, Sport suspension, and since I wanted reasonably priced black wheels - the 16" all seasons to be used for winters(oh yeah, rooster tail too).
Been obsessing about run flat tires or not, today its not, looking at ASA AR1's with Potenza RE050A's (not run flats). One question I can't seem to get an answer for is, if you run a "run flat" tire flat for a length of time is the tire worthless?

Old 05-24-2007, 08:19 PM
dimini
6th Gear
Welcome to NAM rthomas555.

Good runflat question, but I must admit, even though I've been driving MINI's for four years now, I don't have the answer to that $225 question.

On my first MINI, I ditched the runflats as soon as they were down to minimal tread (for lease return) and replaced them with Michelin all season non-run flats. There was a very nice and noticeable change in ride quality. I haven't driven an R56, but I think even though it's more tame (less harsh) than the R53's, you'll still find the non-runflats to be a superior feel. On my current MINI, I never gave the runflats a chance. I run the old Michelins on OEM 16's for winter and have a second set of 16's with summer performance tires. It's really a great way to go. If you have quite a bit of snow, you'll probably want to replace the all-seasons with actual snow tires.

Congrats on your VIN!

Old 05-25-2007, 05:27 AM
jjbug
3rd Gear
I've been told that you can drive on a "flat" run flat for 80 miles up to 50 miles an hour. Any more than that and you can cause damage.

Personally, I'm very happy with the runflats. I had my tire pressure light come on once, due to running over a large nail on the highway. I was able to get to my destination, then home, and got it fixed the next day (for free). With a regular tire I would have been stranded on the expressway during rush-hour traffic.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:53 AM
ARTSJCW
6th Gear
Welcome
I think that whether the run flat would be worthless or not would depend on where the original puncture was. If it involved the side wall it would be bad' however if the puncture was in the tread area, it may be able to be plugged. I have heard various answers to this question in the forums. Congrats on your order and good luck.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:59 PM
rthomas555
Neutral
Thanks for the info, I guess I have a little more time to make a decision.

As for snow, I live in New England and drove a TR6 in the snow just for fun ( a long time ago) so I think I'll be ok with the all seasons.

As for driving on a run flat, I would probably drive right to the nearest garage to see if it could be fixed and then wonder what damage was done to the side wall.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:21 PM
dix
6th Gear
Hi and welcome to NAM from the Midwest. I switched out my runflats and to me personally: they give my MC a little bit smoother ride.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:29 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
If you run any distance on the run flat I think most tire dealers will want to replace rather than repair. I'm not sure you can tell just by looking if the tire has been compromised or not. Most of the stories I've heard have to do with more delays and more cost with run flat tires. During 40 years of driving I have only changed tires on the roadside a couple of times . . . once a retread blew; once a tread came off an overage tire . . . . Otherwise my flats have been at home or work . . . slow to slower leaks which could be driven on to the gas station for air and then to the tire shop. I run non-runflats and carry an air compressor, plug kit and slime. My run flats were harsh.