1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to mini's

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 01:52 AM
navycav3
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to mini's

whats up guys and girls, i (as you can tell from the screen name) currently own a modded 01 cavalier. As most people do i am looking to upgrade and the mini is definitly my first choice. Im kinda stuck on getting an S because i currently have a supercharged car and i love it, so why not stick with it. Plus i love the little luxuries that the mini provides, ie. six speed, leather, navigation. I have test drove two minis. The first was on 04 s and the other was a loaded 07 demo from the dealership. Honestly i thought the 04 was less complicated and i love not having to wait for the turbo

but yeah im coming from modding out a cavalier and im hoping to get into a mini that i can actually take car of rather than throwing random cheap parts at. Im sure i will learn all kinds of stuff here and i hope i can provide some help myself

thanks

Old 06-10-2007, 04:11 AM
PaulCIssa
4th Gear
Greetings. I'm new also, so I'll convey my opinion based on the fact that the impressions I got are still fresh in my mind.

I was real happy when I test drove a base 2007 Cooper; I thought the car was nimble and reasonably well-powered for it's size. I didn't think I'd be pulling up next to too many GTI's at the lights begging for a challenge, but it was OK for commuting, etc.

Then I tested a base 2007 S and sealed a deal on one that day. There's no comparison in terms of "snot-facter" from the powerplants. The S is a hoot to drive and leaves the base Cooper feeling rather anemic.

If you're concern is turbo lag (as was mine), I think you'll find since the turbine's a dual-impeller design, lag is minimal and the compressor is spinning up rather quickly from about 1500-1700 rpm with moderate throttle openings. My last turbo car was a 1989 Ford Probe GT and you had to bury the throttle and wait for 3000 rpm for the compressor to spool up. When it did, it was a rush for the next gear as the revs climbed through redline. None of that here. The delivery is usable, smooth and more importantly controllable with subtle changes in throttle opening. I think this characteristic is one of the points that makes the car so enjoyable: it honks pretty well when asked, but isn't annoying when doing so.

Go test drive a 2007 S. It will help you form your own opinion!

Hope this helps and good luck!

Old 06-10-2007, 05:57 AM
Silverbullit
6th Gear
Welcome to NAM to you both!! Go with the S you won't regret it.

06MCS/DS/B/Bbonnetstripes/whalen8ballshiftmachine

Old 06-10-2007, 06:46 AM
Uncle_John
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PaulCIssa
Go test drive a 2007 S. It will help you form your own opinion! . . .
Amen, brother. My 07 is my 4th MINI, and I do like the way it drives better than the first three. And I liked the first three a lot!

Old 06-10-2007, 07:25 AM
Marlow Main
6th Gear
Welcome to NAM! I would go with the S, you won't regret it!

Old 06-10-2007, 11:37 AM
navycav3
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by PaulCIssa
Greetings. I'm new also, so I'll convey my opinion based on the fact that the impressions I got are still fresh in my mind.

I was real happy when I test drove a base 2007 Cooper; I thought the car was nimble and reasonably well-powered for it's size. I didn't think I'd be pulling up next to too many GTI's at the lights begging for a challenge, but it was OK for commuting, etc.

Then I tested a base 2007 S and sealed a deal on one that day. There's no comparison in terms of "snot-facter" from the powerplants. The S is a hoot to drive and leaves the base Cooper feeling rather anemic.

If you're concern is turbo lag (as was mine), I think you'll find since the turbine's a dual-impeller design, lag is minimal and the compressor is spinning up rather quickly from about 1500-1700 rpm with moderate throttle openings. My last turbo car was a 1989 Ford Probe GT and you had to bury the throttle and wait for 3000 rpm for the compressor to spool up. When it did, it was a rush for the next gear as the revs climbed through redline. None of that here. The delivery is usable, smooth and more importantly controllable with subtle changes in throttle opening. I think this characteristic is one of the points that makes the car so enjoyable: it honks pretty well when asked, but isn't annoying when doing so.

Go test drive a 2007 S. It will help you form your own opinion!

Hope this helps and good luck!
thanks for the advice man, and as stated in my first post i did indeed test drive an 07 s, it was a demo from the dealership and retailed at more than 32 thousand as the guy said. It was a blast to drive, but i would rather have an even power band from a supercharger than any type of lag from the turbo. Mind you, the car was a blast to drive, and i LOVE when that turbo kicks and i hit the back of the seat
but i think i would be very happy with the supercharged version, and im only looking to spend around 20-25k

Originally Posted by Silverbullit
Welcome to NAM to you both!! Go with the S you won't regret it.
Originally Posted by Marlow Main
Welcome to NAM! I would go with the S, you won't regret it!
thanks for the welcome, and i will definitly be going with the S

Originally Posted by Uncle_John
Amen, brother. My 07 is my 4th MINI, and I do like the way it drives better than the first three. And I liked the first three a lot!
what are the big differences in your oppinion? i have only taken the cars on mere 10 minute test drives so i really value the oppinion who has driven both around and lived with them

thanks again for the replies everyone

Old 06-10-2007, 08:31 PM
dix
6th Gear
Welcome to NAM! You'll love a MINI!

Old 06-10-2007, 09:05 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to NAM! I say - drive whatever MINI makes you happy - They are all a blast - every one is individualized....you'll find lots of good info. here.

Donna

Old 06-13-2007, 02:50 PM
moodylewdd
5th Gear
The supercharged ones are awesome! I wouldnt trade mine for the world!