1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good things *can* come to...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007 | 12:41 PM
mkp
|
Neutral
Good things *can* come to...

those who obsess, configure, and wait for years!

In my case, I was configuring MINIs as long ago as 2004, after realizing that the impending mortgage payoff the next year meant that my first-ever brand new car might be an actual possibility (after some serious down-payment saving). In spring of 2005, needing to ground the growing obsession on more than just pictures, other people’s anecdotes and "The Italian Job" , I took a test drive and was solidly hooked. Went to a car show, paid off the house, kept a spreadsheet of every MINI spotted in town, lurked in every forum…and hoped that everything would come together for a late 2006 build.

Then life threw me a curve that made 2006 “The Lost Year” on every level.

I was still standing, though, in April ’07, when my Ancient Honda dramatically gave up the ghost. My first thought was that the MINI dream would have to be deferred for who-knows-how-long while I made do with yet another junker, but, with a lot of forum encouragement and a few phone calls, there was a lovely leftover new (built Nov. 2006) PW/B Cooper waiting at the closest dealership…and the numbers *just* worked.

During the drive home, I knew it was a “he”. It was nearly two weeks later that I was staring at his face (for the gazillionth time) and realized that “he looks like a Bertie”. So, PW/B MC is (formally) HRH Prince Consort Albert…’Bertie’ to his friends. Queen Victoria would disagree, but I *am* amused.

It’s not often that your expectations are not only met but exceeded, but that’s my experience so far. Bertie is a truly joyful ride every single day.

mkp

Old 06-19-2007 | 12:45 PM
rooandren
6th Gear
CONGRATS! Very nice to hear you are enjoying the payoffs of your patience! Great name too!

Now, where are the pics?

Old 06-19-2007 | 03:01 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Your post made me smile Thanks for sharing with us. Congrats on the new MINI and yes - we want PICTURES!!! Welcome to NAM

Donna

Old 06-19-2007 | 04:10 PM
mkp
|
Neutral
Originally Posted by rooandren
CONGRATS! Very nice to hear you are enjoying the payoffs of your patience! Great name too!

Now, where are the pics?
Well, I just uploaded a couple, here's day of delivery, ready to leave the dealer.

My patient MA kindly installed the badge for Sunshineminis while I finished the paperwork.

mkp

Old 06-19-2007 | 04:18 PM
mkp
|
Neutral
Originally Posted by Donna/Mike
Your post made me smile Thanks for sharing with us. Congrats on the new MINI and yes - we want PICTURES!!! Welcome to NAM

Donna
Thanks...it was quite an exercise in patience and I didn't even have the experience of waiting while he was built and then shipped.

I have a bunch of nearly-identical photos of Bertie sitting in the driveway (we really have to take him somewhere interesting and do some glamor shots), so I only uploaded one of those...this is immediately after his first full wax job.

He *does* seem to enjoy his baths.

mkp

Old 06-20-2007 | 08:44 PM
dix
6th Gear
Bertie....What an adorable and totally English name! By the way, Bertie's an adorable Mini!!

Old 06-22-2007 | 07:34 AM
h20baby
2nd Gear
Bertie...Ilike that..it sounds youthful and mischievous...

Old 06-22-2007 | 07:54 AM
tigwantstoplay
6th Gear
Congratulations! He's precious. Welcome to NAM, MINI ownership, and miles and miles of smiles.