1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I kneed I kneed... Well I can't decide.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 08:47 AM
Scoobywrx
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I kneed I kneed... Well I can't decide.

Rant vent:
Cliffs: want a MCS...
However not sure if its the most friendly choice to get.
-Reliablilty/ Maint/ wise after the warranty is over.....

I'll be going to college in one year, and my parents have told me this since my freshmen year of highschool, that as long as I kept a decent 3.5+ GPA, never "screwed up", and saved my money for a nice down payment that they'd help me with a car purchase (pretty generously) as long as I went in state to college. I obviously want to go instate, as the CA weather is nice, and I refuse to be in sub zero temps, and its not too humid here.

So far for my DP I'm at around 3800 (+ then my GSR) which my parents paid 1/2 for I could sell for 6k

My mom's brother said he'd help me out with a large $ of money (10-15k)...I'm not 100% sure of how true it is, but for sure he's helping me out with the car purchase.

Now onto the debaucle.

I wanted to get a mini cooper S originally, I've always been into the R53's since they came out; but then I liked WRX's for a loong time...
Reality struck, Gas+MPG= well nono...
I've had a GSR for the past 2 years and well its a great car, but modding a car is not me(I want to but I've gotten to the point of where, "A nice factory warranty is nice")
I'm the biggest car freak though, ask anyone.

I've been set on these cars for awhile:
2007/8 Toyota Camry V6 SE (its just sooo bland) but my parent's are die hard Toyota fans.
2007/2008 Mazda Speed 3
2000-2004 GS430(yes I realize its a V8 however on the freeway it gets 25 mpg.
And the car that keeps coming in my mind
2007/2008 MCS.
I've cut the options down on the MCS to be the most needy:
PW-B/ Sport Susp/ Rear Fogs/ Leatherette/ Hi-Fi/ ArmRest /Auto AC/ LSD / MFSW/Factory Alarm/ Sport Package/ and Sport Suspension...

After the Mini warranty is over, how reliable are these cars? I know BMW parts are a bit more in $$ though....

Old 07-15-2007, 08:53 AM
Scoobywrx
3rd Gear
My uncle also likes the MCS as its fuel friendly and easy to manuever in and out of CA freeways.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:57 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Gas milage - the GS430 = MCS...MCS is a little better, even.

The newer MINIs are very reliable. If you're looking for reliability stay away from 02-04.

However, you are looking at brand new (07-08) so that's a moot point. So far, the 07s have only been out for a few months but seem to be pretty reliable. However, it is a new model and a lot of things are different from the reliable 05/06s, so we are yet to see really what happens. But so far, they are already much better than the 02/03s when they first came out.

But I'm not going to lie to you. Of course a Camry is going to be more reliable - a Toyota vs. a British car, it's not even a contest in terms of reliablity. And a Mazda will come with a better warranty.

The bottom line is, with a MINI, you really have to WANT a MINI. And that means dealing with not-Toyota/Honda-level-reliability. There are tons of people that drive their MINIs into the ground without a single issue. And there are many who give up after the issues just won't stop. I own a MINI because I loved them, desperately wanted one, and am more than willing ot deal with whatever crap it might throw at me (which, to date, has been none).

Old 07-15-2007, 10:02 AM
Scoobywrx
3rd Gear
My mom's Camry however has been a troubled cause (1999) since the day we bought it(it hates cold 65*F( start ups) stutters( has CEL's)-I've run seafoam, the TPS/IAC has been changed twice...Other than that 50k trouble free miles.
Dad has had very good luck 250k out of one Toyota, and now on a 07 Tacoma with 10k right now(bought on Thanksgiving weekend).

Old 07-15-2007, 10:19 AM
Mgibrace
4th Gear
We have an 02 wrx(my wife's) and I just got my MCS 2 wks ago. No reliability issues with my wife's rex. 66k mi. NO engine mods. averaging only 14mgp in town and ~ 20 on the hwy. My first tank in the r56 was a very hard run on narrow , 2 lane roads from sea level to 5000 ft. Avg mpg 29. Calculated, not onboard computer. The rex has a much cheaper feel, tho nicer susp. Compliant, yet stiffens quickly. AWD makes sense up here, not so much in CA unless you're making winter runs up to the mnts. The rex is prob cheaper unless you do some whittling of your wish list for the mcs

Toyota and Subaru consistently have great longevity. They're my recc to non-car people.

Long term reliability will favor the rex, tho both would prob survive college. Resale favors the mcs. FWIW, I put my daughter in an Impreza(non rex) as she's in Montana @ college.

Best of luck. Prob no bad decision between the 2.