1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Group Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 06:53 PM
arby
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Group Newbie

Hello there. I guess I am the newest member of this group. I've joined because I'm interested in purchasing a Mini Cooper S and know nothing about them. Reliability? Dependability....breakdowns, travelling in snow, problems noticed on the '07, etc? Honesty please.

I currently am the owner of a pickup truck and am also wondering if I'd be shooting myself in the foot for trading in the versatile truck for the cooper. It would be my only vehicle, well my other being a ducati. Anyway as a firefighter I need to be able to get to work regardless of the weather conditions. Anything else anyone would like to share would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 07-28-2007, 07:00 PM
1QukMINI
6th Gear
It's a great car. It really is. I came from a small SUV, and I don't miss it a bit! I recommend it wholeheartedly. They do have an AWD MINI in the works that might meet more of what you're looking for, as well as the Clubman which would make it easier to get your gear in and out of. I'd check those things out, as well. But you can't go wrong, just more right with one of the options...
jason

Old 07-28-2007, 07:05 PM
andyde
5th Gear
Arby,

here is a question, what do you use the pick up for? is it just to get through foul weather or do you actually haul things around quite a bit?

Remember, you are comparing two completely different vehicles. The mini gives me that grin factor all the time, but I also know that I am sacrificing space. I came off a 4runner into a MCS. Truthly I feel safer in the MINI than I did in the 4runner.
I cannot speak much for reliability but try doing a search here or the net to check it out.

I think it is funny how we, as people, can adjust to not having a lot of cargo space and still do just fine. I drove around my 4runner for 2 years with all thet extra room when 90% of the time I was by myself or with my wife and nothing to haul around..

Old 07-28-2007, 07:11 PM
arby
Neutral
Thanks

Thanks for the quick replies! First, what is a "Clubman?" I don't think I saw that on mini's web site. As for the fair question of what do I really use my truck for? Well, that's one I've asked myself. I guess I had bought it for the versatility. I always hate having to ask people to use their truck when I need to do some home improvements. Although I will admit, I havn't used the truck bed much.

Thanks again.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:01 PM
Mini S Pilot
5th Gear
Welcome to NAM!

I think you'll be able to make due without the truck considering you mentioned you've barely used the bed for hauling. Trucks have their place, but those that just use them as pleasure rides don't know what they're missing with the Mini.

I'm not having to give up the truck, for now anyway. We do a lot of traveling towing our jet skis and quads around camping. The Mini couldn't handle that task, but who knows we may grow out of all this other stuff after the Mini arrives. New adventures to be explored for sure.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:44 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Welcome to NAM.

If you don't mind... could you please share the recipe for your fabulous secret roast beef sauce. We promise to keep it a secret & only share it amongst NAMers

Old 07-29-2007, 01:57 PM
arby
Neutral
Again, thanks for the comments. I am looking at MCS Pepper White w/ black top and black bonnet stripse as well as: Premium and Cold Weather Packages, Blue tooth, driving lights, white turn signals. Debating about invisible protectors, iPod adapter, and the need for car alarm. Suggestions are welcome.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:49 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
The Clubman is a new model that will be making its European debut in November and will come to the U.S. in February. It features a slightly longer wheelbase and a club-car-type door on the passenger side. Also has swinging-gate doors on the back.

Here's a complete rundown on it:
http://www.motoringfile.com/2007/07/...buts/#comments

When I started looking at the Mini a few years ago, its seeming lack of reliability worried me. The Portland dealership is 200 miles away and I wasn't interested in having to go there frequently to have it worked on.

The reliability has been greatly improved over the past three years and in summer 2006, Consumer Reports recommended the Mini for the first time. It doesn't have that recommendation for the current model, but they wouldn't have been able to obtain one before their new car guide came out this spring.

I've had my R56 since the middle of April and have been completely satisfied. Hope you're able to find adequate information for you to make the right choice for your needs.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:47 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome from So Cal! You've definitely entered MINI land here...LOTS and LOTS of info. and great peeps. Information overload when you have a few days to read through some of the threads you might be interested in...

Donna