1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MINI bullies

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 01:20 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yep... I've had better luck since installing a pulsing circuit for the 3rd brake light. I like the flying pennies idea... I've got a cupful in the MINI right now!

Old 08-01-2007, 06:10 PM
dieselhead
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
proper defensive driving technique is to pull over and let the tailgater go by,better to have him in front of you than behind, and proper following distance is 2 seconds regardless of speed

Old 08-01-2007, 06:21 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by dieselhead
proper defensive driving technique is to pull over and let the tailgater go by,better to have him in front of you than behind, and proper following distance is 2 seconds regardless of speed
I always thought it was better to turn them into tiny specks in the rear view mirror...learn something new everyday...

Old 08-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Dan00Hawk
5th Gear
I find it convenient to repeatedly wash my front windshield when dealing with tailgaters. The over spray forces them to clean their windshield as well, and they usually realize that if they weren't so close, they wouldn't have gotten the overspray. It's a "passive" way of dealing with them, since you aren't really doing anything wrong.

Although, I've enjoyed the thought of turning the nozzle of my rear washer around to "p!ss" backwards on them in a more aggressive manner for the people that just won't take the hint...

Old 08-01-2007, 07:42 PM
pinkMINIgirl
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Dan00Hawk
I find it convenient to repeatedly wash my front windshield when dealing with tailgaters.
I do that all the time if someone is being exsessively rude, however in Atlanta everyone tailgates

Old 08-01-2007, 07:51 PM
tigwantstoplay
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dan00Hawk
I find it convenient to repeatedly wash my front windshield when dealing with tailgaters. The over spray forces them to clean their windshield as well, and they usually realize that if they weren't so close, they wouldn't have gotten the overspray. It's a "passive" way of dealing with them, since you aren't really doing anything wrong.

Although, I've enjoyed the thought of turning the nozzle of my rear washer around to "p!ss" backwards on them in a more aggressive manner for the people that just won't take the hint...
Not that I condone it, but my husband's rear washer mysteriously got turned around. That thing sprays a good 10 feet!!!!

Old 08-01-2007, 09:27 PM
memphis9k
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by memphis9k
yes, those tailgaters. they probably think they can intimidate us. what i usually do is slow down and make them change lanes and try to pass me. then i speed up and dont let them.
Originally Posted by MINIdave
Please don't do this..........if they bother you just move over and let them go on by, or speed up and leave them in your dust, but don't become a rolling chicane - you'll only make things worse. How does this make the rest of us MINI owners look when you do this? Besides being extremely anti-social behavior, it's against the law..........Try to take the high road, OK?
ok.....

Old 08-01-2007, 10:22 PM
Jurrell
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I notice suvs like to creep up on my bumper while at stop lights. Doesn't bother me that much, but it is annoying.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:38 PM
Scoopmama
6th Gear
Gee, I'm always amazed at the coincidental need to clean my windshield. Squirt squirt squirt!!!

Old 08-02-2007, 01:49 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm one of those people...go ahead and crawl up my tailpipe, but you better be awake because after about 10 seconds (I give people time to realize how close they are and back off), I'm slamming on my brakes, scaring the crap out of you, and then flooring it.

I sent some guy in Wisconsin into the ditch last winter. I kept going, but I did use my cell to call State Troopers to come help him out It was wayyyyy too icy out to be following that close!

I have to say though, I don't really notice it THAT often. I think I've only done it twice with the MINI, once as mentioned above last winter, and once maybe two weeks ago.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:01 AM
yellowbritishrocket
Banned
my license plate says I C 911.... nuff said

Old 08-09-2007, 06:03 PM
Reverend Heat
1st Gear
I have the same problem. I have had my Mini for a week now and it happens several time each day. I just slow down and act like I don't notice them behind me. It only takes a minute or two before the xoxox behind me gets frustrated and speeds off around me.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:56 AM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MLWagner79
I sent some guy in Wisconsin into the ditch last winter. I kept going, but I did use my cell to call State Troopers to come help him out It was wayyyyy too icy out to be following that close!
It is not cool to tailgate, but it's even worse (IMHO) to continue a practice that you now know could put someone's life in jeopardy. I thought that the pennies were kinda funny, but I'd probably never do it as I've recently seen the impact dents that they cause. Even the rear-facing washer jets could startle someone enough at high speeds to cause an accident. What if the guy in Wisconsin had lost control and crossed over into oncoming traffic (or any other tragic outcome). Had someone died and you been caught, you very well could have been charged with manslaughter as your actions intentionally caused the accident.

Please... DO NOT BRAKE-CHECK OTHER CARS! Just because someone else is being an 4$$, doesn't mean that we have the right or reason to endanger their life or property. They may not be very considerate of us, but it still doesn't mean that we can do the same to them.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:12 AM
1QukMINI
6th Gear
They're just jealous, and compensating for something. :-)
jason

Old 08-10-2007, 01:22 PM
Blue Skies 05
4th Gear
Originally Posted by agranger
It is not cool to tailgate, but it's even worse (IMHO) to continue a practice that you now know could put someone's life in jeopardy. I thought that the pennies were kinda funny, but I'd probably never do it as I've recently seen the impact dents that they cause. Even the rear-facing washer jets could startle someone enough at high speeds to cause an accident. What if the guy in Wisconsin had lost control and crossed over into oncoming traffic (or any other tragic outcome). Had someone died and you been caught, you very well could have been charged with manslaughter as your actions intentionally caused the accident.

Please... DO NOT BRAKE-CHECK OTHER CARS! Just because someone else is being an 4$$, doesn't mean that we have the right or reason to endanger their life or property. They may not be very considerate of us, but it still doesn't mean that we can do the same to them.
Agranger, I appreciate your post. I had a horrifying experience 24 years ago on I5 up in Seattle. A young guy thought I wasn't going fast enough at the speed limit in the right lane, and cut me off. Not only that, he SLAMMED on his brakes as a "Gotcha!" I could see him laughing his a... off. That little "tit for tat" road rage could have killed my ex, myself and my 6 month old daughter as I had to slam the brakes and went into a tailspin.

Bottom line, we need to drive compassionately even when others don't