1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Owner with Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 03:19 PM
slhawk
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Owner with Questions

I have a new Cooper on order and will want to install a "workaround" to solve the mesh-screen-below-the-sunroof problem. Also I want to install a fork-mount bike rack on the roof. Any suggestions on either or both of these issues?

Last edited by slhawk; 08-08-2007 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:04 PM
andyde
5th Gear
First, welcome to NAM!

Second, what is a walk around for mesh-screen below the sun roof??

Old 08-09-2007, 01:52 PM
slhawk
Neutral
"Workaround"

Thanks!

My wife and I noticed on our demo drive the mesh screen which attempts to shield the sun from coming thorugh the sunroof into the ineterior and we are concerned about getting too much sun. We are lookig for an OEM company product that would solidly shield the sun.

By the way, I noticed that your post has a picture with it of your car. How do you make that happen?

Old 08-09-2007, 05:00 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Welcome, as well.

I came from a Civic that had a solid slider and was befuddled to find out Minis didn't have the same. I thought all cars did. Guess I need to get out more.

I bought a set of flexible screens from Stratmosphere. They cut the sun and the heat and roll up with a velcro tie when you don't want them up. Fit perfectly.

http://www.stratmosphere.com/mini_interior.htm

Old 08-09-2007, 07:34 PM
Ferroequine
4th Gear
Originally Posted by slhawk
By the way, I noticed that your post has a picture with it of your car. How do you make that happen?
Visit this thread, play with photoshop, and then go to your user panel to add the image to your signature.

For the roof rack, you may want to check out the MINI OEM roof rack. I believe you can add a bike rack to that.

Oh, and welcome to the club.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:30 AM
rockridge
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The size and openness of the sun roof, even with the screen, was the biggest problem I found when taking my test drive. Overall too much light & glare for me. I ordered mine with the solid roof and a Union Jack...

Old 08-10-2007, 08:56 AM
Blue Skies 05
4th Gear
Yep, I like the "solid" sun roof cover in my Civic Coupe. But, I also did a limo tint on my MC sunroof. The tint job made all the difference.

See these threads on AC/sunroof issues:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ght=Blue+Skies

And, I've done roof, interior carrying, and hitches over the years. IMHO, roof carrying is the biggest PIA. Here's a thread on carrying bikes on MINIs:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=82072

Oh, and WELCOME

Last edited by Blue Skies 05; 08-10-2007 at 08:58 AM.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:37 AM
slhawk
Neutral
Thanks!

Thanks to you all who have already replied. I will follow on your suggestions. Anyone else? This forum is great and it just makes us more excited about our imminent membership in the world of MC owners.

Old 08-12-2007, 02:14 PM
baygirljin
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Sowellman
Welcome, as well.

I came from a Civic that had a solid slider and was befuddled to find out Minis didn't have the same. I thought all cars did. Guess I need to get out more.

I bought a set of flexible screens from Stratmosphere. They cut the sun and the heat and roll up with a velcro tie when you don't want them up. Fit perfectly.

http://www.stratmosphere.com/mini_interior.htm
Thanks so much for this post - it really helps me with the same dilemma everyone has just commented on - just ordered yesterday EEK and took for a long extended test drive and could not get the car to cool down at all... I finally reconciled myself to the fact that it will be parked in a garage most of the time (vs the day in the heat yesterday at the dealer) and well I live in Chicago.... our hot summers are truly 9 weeks long if we are lucky - this is SO helpful and calms me down that I made the right choice!

thanks again - cant wait till she arrives!

Old 08-12-2007, 02:31 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by baygirljin
Thanks so much for this post - it really helps me with the same dilemma everyone has just commented on
I also bought a windshield shade from them. It's the same material and rolls up, as well. I've been surprised at how well the combination has served to keep the interior temperature down while parked.

In this part of southern Oregon, we typically get summer temps between the high 80s and low 100s, but without the humidity you have back there.

Old 08-12-2007, 02:41 PM
millerd2
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by slhawk
Thanks to you all who have already replied. I will follow on your suggestions. Anyone else? This forum is great and it just makes us more excited about our imminent membership in the world of MC owners.
Welcome to the asylum!