1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Documentation and dealership charges

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 08:09 PM
miniphatty
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Documentation and dealership charges

So i looked at my vehicle order and i saw these two charges:

1. Documentation for 50$ (Based on a search of these forums, this seems a reasonable charge)

2. Dealership charges for 600$ <-- what exactly does this contain? I am going to ask my MA the same question but what the frack is that for?

Erm: sorry if this is the wrong forum

Old 09-08-2007, 08:33 PM
Tharkun
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniphatty
So i looked at my vehicle order and i saw these two charges:

1. Documentation for 50$ (Based on a search of these forums, this seems a reasonable charge)

2. Dealership charges for 600$ <-- what exactly does this contain? I am going to ask my MA the same question but what the frack is that for?

Erm: sorry if this is the wrong forum
The MSRP window sticker should show a " Destination Charge" usually $650. Any other charges addded by the dealer you need to inquire what they are for/include as that can varry from dealer to dealer.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:55 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
I believe that Northwest Mini charges more than MSRP. That's the fee you see.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:03 PM
miniphatty
4th Gear
Ah the pain i have to go through for phatty I always used to preach that "patience is a virtue" - well i think it's about time patience got redefined. Patience is driving your friends and forum post readers nuts so you remain sane enough to take delivery of the mini.

When i get my mini, i'll sleep inside the mini

Old 09-08-2007, 09:19 PM
ma78
Coordinator :: Super Secret Orange County MINI Cooper Club
Ah the pain i have to go through for phatty I always used to preach that "patience is a virtue" - well i think it's about time patience got redefined. Patience is driving your friends and forum post readers nuts so you remain sane enough to take delivery of the mini.

When i get my mini, i'll sleep inside the mini
If you can, drive down to Rassmussen MINI in Portland. I've heard very good things about them.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:27 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ma78
If you can, drive down to Rassmussen MINI in Portland. I've heard very good things about them.
The service at Rasmussen is great. They charge an extra $175 in exchange for floor mats, a tank of gas and detailing. Still less than in Tacoma. And the drive home to Washington is pleasant, too.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:46 PM
ma78
Coordinator :: Super Secret Orange County MINI Cooper Club
Originally Posted by Sowellman
The service at Rasmussen is great. They charge an extra $175 in exchange for floor mats, a tank of gas and detailing. Still less than in Tacoma. And the drive home to Washington is pleasant, too.
I almost bought from them in '04. Really liked the sales people there, and they have a good reputation.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:29 AM
miniphatty
4th Gear

Well, the deposit is refundable till i get assigned a prod. number - if my MA can reply satisfactorily and give me a break, i guess i'll stay with Northwest or else, /call Rasmussen and just order over the phone

Old 09-09-2007, 05:40 AM
Blue Skies 05
4th Gear
Good luck on getting a break. Northwest has always, to my knowledge, charged over MSRP.

You can easily order from Rasmussen over the phone, and you'll be in your MINI much quicker.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:48 AM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Well, the deposit is refundable till i get assigned a prod. number - if my MA can reply satisfactorily and give me a break, i guess i'll stay with Northwest or else, /call Rasmussen and just order over the phone
That's interesting about the deposit. With Rasmussen, the deposit is refundable up until you take delivery of the car. You could come to their showroom, decide the car you ordered isn't what you wanted and walk away with your full deposit.

I live 200 miles south of Portland and I did all of the arranging for my car over the phone and by email. I never actually met my MA, Larry Larson, until the day I drove up to pick my Cooper up. If you end up going there, I would heartily recommend Larry. He's a good guy.

Good luck.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:06 AM
mpreuss
Neutral
My MA at Northwest Mini couldn't explain the extra fee - its just extra profit, I'm sure.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:47 AM
GRichard
1st Gear
Of course that is just extra profit! Some states have laws that prohibit or limit the amount of fees. Its not always easy to shop out of state.

It's really annoying to negotiate and agree on a price only to get to closing and there, preprinted on the form, is a dealer fee of several hundred dollars. The Closer always indicates that it is legitimate, after all it's pre-printed right there.

Last year I bought a Prius and paid the fee because it I wanted it that bad. Last week while in for an oil change, a Prius on the lot had a $3995 "Market Adjustment" charge on the sticker. I'll bet any thing that the dealer fee is still on the sales contract.

Check my thread "Where to buy?" in First Gear.

Too much is never enough for some people.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:55 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Aren't ALL deposits on vehicles in the US are refundable at any time? I thought it was a law or something...

Old 09-09-2007, 10:09 AM
Tharkun
6th Gear
Well the trick here is that even if there is a law, if they put it on the contract and you agree to it by sigining.........then you just abated the law.

Here in Tracy the dealers have always added 1 -5 grand to the MSRP and if people are willing to pay it they are happy. I can not deal with the dealers in this city, I have always needed to buy out of town. A 30 mile drive to save several grand only makes sense to me.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:35 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Right, but I didn't sign a darn thing when I put down my deposit. I wrote he check, they handed me a print-out of my order, and I went on my merry way.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:01 PM
harley0711
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
While I was in my Local dealer (EB Mini - CA) I met a couple there From WA - they were loading their luggage into theire new MCS - I was/still am very new to the Mini's - I ask them why fly to CA for their Mini - their answer was WA Mini was over MSRP and they were quoted a 8 month order time and EB Mini was 8 weeks - They were all Smiles and driving away as I left - They were Happy and thats what counts. Since I have started this quest - I have learned about (production slots) and why some dealers orders move faster than others - when talking to your MA I would strongley suggest you ask about order time and Produciton number slots - I would Not pay over MSRP but thats me and I have 5 Mini dealers within a two hour drive and and another 8 within 6 hours if I were to get really pissy - for those that only have one or None in your state - well, thats a different story - I see the main problem with paying anything over MSRP - that really goes away on resale...

It really is only $$$ - so enjoy...

Old 09-09-2007, 12:35 PM
miniphatty
4th Gear
Newbie question time: If i were to buy from Rasmussem, when my mini needs service, do i still have to drive to Oregon or can i show up at Northwest Mini? :O

Old 09-09-2007, 12:54 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
If i were to buy from Rasmussen, when my mini needs service, do i still have to drive to Oregon or can i show up at Northwest Mini? :O
You can have service work done at any dealer. Some west coast buyers have even bought their cars from a New York dealer that offers cheap shipping and they don't have to drive back there for service.

Old 09-09-2007, 04:38 PM
miniphatty
4th Gear
That's interesting about the deposit. With Rasmussen, the deposit is refundable up until you take delivery of the car. You could come to their showroom, decide the car you ordered isn't what you wanted and walk away with your full deposit.

I live 200 miles south of Portland and I did all of the arranging for my car over the phone and by email. I never actually met my MA, Larry Larson, until the day I drove up to pick my Cooper up. If you end up going there, I would heartily recommend Larry. He's a good guy.

Good luck.

Sold.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:52 PM
miniphatty
4th Gear
I just emailed the MA at NWM asking him to cancel my order. The difference (650 vs 175) is substantial enough for me to do that but i see myself driving 4 hours each way just for the principle of the thing.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:17 AM
jaridp
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Tharkun
Well the trick here is that even if there is a law, if they put it on the contract and you agree to it by sigining.........then you just abated the law.

Here in Tracy the dealers have always added 1 -5 grand to the MSRP and if people are willing to pay it they are happy. I can not deal with the dealers in this city, I have always needed to buy out of town. A 30 mile drive to save several grand only makes sense to me.
Ahh my home town of Tracy!!!

Old 09-10-2007, 10:41 AM
beowulf777
2nd Gear
miniphatty - Did you find out what the doc fee is for Rasmussen? Most doc fees are in the range of 400 - 600. You may find that you aren't going to save any money.

Just thought you might want to check, but I totally understand your decision based upon the MSRP+ at NVM.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:44 AM
Tharkun
6th Gear
I just emailed the MA at NWM asking him to cancel my order. The difference (650 vs 175) is substantial enough for me to do that but i see myself driving 4 hours each way just for the principle of the thing.
Well besides having a nice motoring back to Seattle in your new Mini, the difference in cost will give you about $58 an hour drive time, minus expenses.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:03 AM
miniphatty
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Tharkun
Well besides having a nice motoring back to Seattle in your new Mini, the difference in cost will give you about $58 an hour drive time, minus expenses.

Hehe

The other advantages i see are:

1. Shorter wait time (if i am to trust jarid )
2. Get some of the break-in mileage out of the way

Old 09-10-2007, 11:27 AM
Lerzard
1st Gear
Bought in NM, drove back to CO

The beautiful State of Colorado only has one MINI Dealership. When I was ready to purchase (as I walked out of my test drive) I attempted to buy and was met with indifference. SO, I decided to call around and see where I could buy and have a sweet drive home. Nevada was going to charge me $1,000 for an "out of state" fee, give me a break! I ended up at Sandia in NM and it was a wonderful experience. They even came and picked me up at the airport! I took 3 days to drive back to the Denver area, stopped in Santa Fe and Taos and took in the mountains. Best vacation I've probably ever had! (Don't tell my wife!)

I've had all of my service in Denver, about an hour away from my home. No issues and I really like the service folks. Have had to replace my expansion tank and thermostadt, and of course the windshield. LOL!

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Documentation and dealership charges