1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just got the worst news ever

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 09:41 AM
zach999
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got the worst news ever

A week after my mini was scheduled for delivery my MA calls me up and gives me the worst news EVER!

He says while at the port/VDC my car was damaged beyond repair and I'll have to order a new one or select one from their stock.
He said it would be another 2 months before I could get another one if I ordered again.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:43 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zach999
A week after my mini was scheduled for delivery my MA calls me up and gives me the worst news EVER!

He says while at the port/VDC my car was damaged beyond repair and I'll have to order a new one or select one from their stock.
He said it would be another 2 months before I could get another one if I ordered again.

Oh my terribly sorry

Maybe as a teeney tiny silver lining you can get some free stuff out of them for your troubles. It's worth a try at least.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:52 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Totally agree with bamatt...this is a major inconvenience to you and you ought to have some restitution coming your way. In fact, I'd be insistent about it. Your MA ought to be falling all over him/herself to make this up to you...

...but I do feel your pain at the added delay. I know some folks post about not being able to sleep or eat well during the wait because of their excitement and anticipation. I'm indeed sorry for your situtation -- it's a total bummer.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:54 AM
pedrocooper
3rd Gear
At least they were upfront with you. When I traded in my '02 (bought new) for the '05, my car was inspected for trade in. The bodyshop manager said the frame was an inch from being out of whack! I was asked what I hit in the front-nothing! Always notices front right bumper didn't line up right It sucks being psyched up but just think you'll have it for Christmas.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:58 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
While terrible news, hardly the worst ever. I thought you were going to tell us one of your children was diagnosed with an incurable disease, or something.

Okay... that does suck. Sorry for your misfortune. I'm sure MINI will do something for your troubles. Free options, accessories, $1,000 off MSRP... all of the above ??

Old 10-13-2007, 10:06 AM
Tharkun
6th Gear
Sorry to hear the bad news, needing to re-order because of severe damage does happen and sucks when it is your Mini. From the few others that
I have seen post about this issue, try for a nation wide search, and if they do locate one with a few options you did not have, request it with no additional cost to you.
Second you can try to request a loaner well you wait for a new Mini to arrive, and they should be able to "rush" your replacement in the production slots.
If I was in your situation, I would "try" to re-order your original Mini and inform them since you must wait, you feel you should receive the 2008 model at the 07 price.
They may not go for it, but worth a try.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:08 AM
MINIxB
6th Gear
So what did happen to it?? (this thread is worthless without pics )

Old 10-13-2007, 10:09 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's terrible!

What port was this at? Mine was also damaged at the port but is being repaired. I has a lot less damage than your car; ony a scratch on the door, less than 1 inch long. Really took all the excitement out of getting a Mini. I don't think I could wait another 2 or 3 months (it will be about 4 total for me when they finish fixing the car).

Old 10-13-2007, 10:12 AM
bahawton
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That really sucks!!!

It took 9 months to get my car & my co-workers thought it would be funny to play a joke on me before I received the car...

The had someone call me to say my car was damaged beyond repair knowing there were no more JCW R53s being built!

They definitely got me ; )

Old 10-13-2007, 10:38 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Unbelieveable!!! Sure makes you wonder how bad off the ones that are damaged and repairable might be!!!

Old 10-13-2007, 10:47 AM
SteelersFan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
Unbelieveable!!! Sure makes you wonder how bad off the ones that are damaged and repairable might be!!!
Agreed. I'm taking the fact that mine spent only a couple of days at the VDC as a VERY good sign!!!

Old 10-13-2007, 11:10 AM
zach999
3rd Gear
Thanks all, I am going to take a trip down to the Mini dealer to have a word with my MA, I'll see if I can get some freebies or at least any pictures of my totaled car.
I'm probably going to order a new one and wait it out since I dont really want to pay for packages/options that I dont want or need, and the main reason I wanted a Mini is so I could pick exactly howit will turn out.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:18 AM
corgwn
2nd Gear
Wow- that is awful!
I agree with pretty much everybody- while it's not "the worst news eVar", it does suck major-league ****.
I also agree that you should probably try and reorder -especially if your Mini dealer doesn't bend over backwards to do right by you and make a helluva deal.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:39 AM
billie_morini
5th Gear
zach,
Perhaps you are prone to exaggeration. Be assured, what you have shared with us today about and automobile is by no means the worst news ever.
Billie

Old 10-13-2007, 12:53 PM
harley0711
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Call EB Mini in Northern CA (Bay area) talk to Blair - tell him your story and ask about ordering from him and what production date you can get... I did a re-order last week, ordered on 10/3 Mini is now completed and being loaded on a ship headed to CA on 10/15 - can't be any faster than that... I talked to another member here that was being told by his MA from Mountain View Mini that all his production slots for 07 were gone and that he would have to order an 08 and that he would not get the Mini until Feb 08 - he put his deposit down and talked about it here on the forum... I PM him and suggested he contact EB/Blair - he did and got his production number that day and is in week 42 of production... all this happened last week...
I do agree with the other posters here - Either YOUR MA should bend over backwards for you or MINI should - Someone should.... Its really up to you and how You choose to push... Good luck,, keep us informed...

Old 10-13-2007, 12:54 PM
harley0711
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Worst ever news,,,, finding out my Divorce from the "Devil" was void and we are still Married.... I shiver just typing this,lol

Old 10-13-2007, 12:55 PM
tdm156
Ruling the curves
We feel your pain but in the end you will be better off with your reorder. Keep us posted

Old 10-13-2007, 01:45 PM
zach999
3rd Gear
Update:
I just got back from the dealer and I ended up reordering. My MA said that MINI automatically reorders immedately the same car to get the best spot possible whenever something like this happens.
I ended up changing a few things that I overlooked previously, so in the end I will be much happier with my new car.
My MA said that he knew nothing about what happend to the car other than what info the VDC sent them: that it is damaged beyond repair. He also said that he doesnt have any pictures.

As far as the title of this thread: yes I may have over reacted as this news isnt the VERY worst in the world, but, imagine if your MA called you and said he'd like to hear back from you because of some bad news...

Old 10-13-2007, 01:47 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
As far as the title of this thread: yes I may have over reacted as this news isnt the VERY worst in the world, but, imagine if your MA called you and said he'd like to hear back from you because of some bad news...
Unless your MA is also your oncologist, the news can only be *so* bad...

Old 10-13-2007, 02:03 PM
VeryRedMCS
2nd Gear

Actually you may have been lucky, as I've heard horror stories of pre-ordered vehicles arriving with damage incurred during transit. Not totaled, as yours apparently was, they would require the buyer to take delivery of the exact car they ordered. (after repairs, of course!) At least you'll end up with a pristine car that you'll be proud of.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:20 PM
Lordon
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
Makes me wonder if this is why we see MINIs with 2 VIN stamps on them. Perhaps they turn them right back around and either repair or recycle what they're able to.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:25 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Lordon
Makes me wonder if this is why we see MINIs with 2 VIN stamps on them. Perhaps they turn them right back around and either repair or recycle what they're able to.
As far as I know, the only double-VIN MINIs are the 147 2006 convertibles that were mistakenly given 2007 VIN numbers at the factory.

I would think that any damage in transit that would prevent the car from being fixed and sold would also prevent the chassis from being re-used for another car.

They may strip the car for usable parts, but the carriers and VDC have insurance for that kind of thing, so they may just write the car off and scrap it entirely.

Old 10-13-2007, 03:28 PM
FranticFreddy
6th Gear
That just plain "Sucks" In the words of a former president. "I feel your pain."

Old 10-13-2007, 03:39 PM
miniGarfield
2nd Gear
I didn't have to wait as long as you all did because I bought mine at the dealership...but I'd just not reorder and just buy one already here!

Old 10-13-2007, 03:51 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by VeryRedMCS
Not totaled, as yours apparently was, they would require the buyer to take delivery of the exact car they ordered. (after repairs, of course!)
Required, by who? Here, at least, I would have been able to reject my car upon delivery to the dealer with no penalty. My deposit was completely refundable and my dealer made it very clear that if I decided not to take the car, they would give me the entire amount back.

Quick Reply: I just got the worst news ever