1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Production Week 46 Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 11:09 AM
lagrasta
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lagrasta
For anyone who might be interested. I have plotted the current progress of the Maersk Wind using Google Maps. It's basically the same thing as the http://www.sailwx.info site, but I like being able to pan and zoom.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?f=q&h...5&t=h&z=4&om=1

I found an easy way to code my google map conversion of the sailwx data. Even better, IT NOW UPDATES AUTOMATICALLY. I have it timed to look for the data a few times a day. (I noticed the ship updates come in at pretty predictable times).

Here is a link:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=http:/...maerskwind.kml

What do you think about that minicooperwill?

Old 11-27-2007, 11:39 AM
The Meal
4th Gear
Super cool! How difficult would it be to convert your code to another call sign (such as, oh let's say, SBLI)?

~Neal

Old 11-27-2007, 12:19 PM
lagrasta
1st Gear
Originally Posted by The Meal
Super cool! How difficult would it be to convert your code to another call sign (such as, oh let's say, SBLI)?

~Neal
Not that hard:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=http:/...gmaps/SBLI.kml

It doesn't have your dealer on it like mine, but that's the plot points.

Google caches these maps pretty aggressively, so they don't always refresh right away. If you run into that, just throw a ? and some random characters on the end. Like this:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=http:/...s/SBLI.kml?123

That should cause it to think it is a different link and not use the cache version. I wish I knew how long it took to expire. Or whether someone requesting the page extends the expiration of the cache. Sorry, thinking out loud...sort of.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:24 PM
lagrasta
1st Gear
By the way, do you guys think the sailwx.info are aware of us tracking our orders? I can't imagine that we constitute any noticeable part of thier traffic. But, technically, I'm not abiding by their usage agreement here.

Code:
Automated or bulk downloads of ship tracks are not supported with this web page.  Please contact sailwx@sailwx.info to discuss licensing of this site content or custom development.
I guess it says "not supported". Good. I just won't ask them for help.

...clears throat and tries to look innocent...

Old 11-27-2007, 12:36 PM
The Meal
4th Gear
Now *that* is super cool! Thanks so much!!

~Neal

Old 11-27-2007, 07:15 PM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lagrasta
I found an easy way to code my google map conversion of the sailwx data. Even better, IT NOW UPDATES AUTOMATICALLY.

What do you think about that minicooperwill?

I think that is just what the doctor ordered! Awesome! When is our boat scheduled to arrive at the VDC?

Old 11-27-2007, 08:40 PM
lagrasta
1st Gear
Originally Posted by minicooperwill
I think that is just what the doctor ordered! Awesome! When is our boat scheduled to arrive at the VDC?
Glad you like it.

It was originally scheduled for 12/10/07, but it looks to have moved up a day to 12/9/07. I think the biggest influence right now will be the Panama Canal. If it gets through there smooth we may be a day ahead of schedule.

So far everything has moved along pretty smoothly for me. I just don't know what to expect once it reaches the VDC.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:01 AM
sancochojoe
4th Gear
Have no clue where my ship is...it stopped tracking on the 25th. I can only go by the WW website because the port doesn't have it tracked even though it was suppose to drop off cars today in Canada. So i'm working blind right now with the ship, Otello.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:34 PM
sancochojoe
4th Gear
It (Otello) made it to port Halifax in Canada....from there it will be a 2 day trip to NYC

http://aisfree.aislive.com/Influx.as...20of%20Halifax

Old 11-28-2007, 11:13 PM
infamousxfob
1st Gear
any latest shipping information? i want my car to get on the ship ASAP!

Old 11-29-2007, 05:17 AM
sancochojoe
4th Gear
Originally Posted by infamousxfob
any latest shipping information? i want my car to get on the ship ASAP!
what ship are you booked for??? Thats where it all starts...you know where to go look, right?

Old 11-29-2007, 09:12 AM
Carrie
1st Gear
Hello!
Sailwx is not showing any information for my vessel (Toronto...callsign mkke3). How could I go about tracking them on google maps?
Thanks in advance for the help!
Carrie

Old 11-29-2007, 09:34 AM
lagrasta
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Carrie
Hello!
Sailwx is not showing any information for my vessel (Toronto...callsign mkke3). How could I go about tracking them on google maps?
Thanks in advance for the help!
Carrie
The google maps thing I made is simply a display of the data from the sailwx.info site. I don't know of any other ways to track the ships while they're out at sea. Near the harbor there are more options.

Everything I know came from this post:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=70301

Old 11-29-2007, 10:31 AM
lagrasta
1st Gear
Carrie,

Are you sure about that name and call sign? Out of curiousity I did some googling and found a couple of things...

http://cgmix.uscg.mil/PSIX/VesselSearch.aspx
The US Coast Gaurd has records for similarly named ships:

And sailwx.info has records of these ships/call signs:

I don't know if that helps, but I figured it was worth a shot. The internet is a magical and frightening place.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:42 AM
Carrie
1st Gear
Confused

I got the vessel name from the Wallenius Wilhelmsen site when I was monotoring the Mini arriving in port / loading on vessel etc etc. I then got the call sign from the ais-live site looking at the satelite pictures from southampton. When I clicked on "vessels en route" (or something), it showed me the Toronto and gave me the MKKE3 call-sign. However, I've not been able to match them up anywhere else....so I'm confused.

And I've not found anyone else who's shipping on the Toronto so my mini is all lonely.

Cannot wait for DS/DS to be here!

Old 11-29-2007, 08:53 PM
infamousxfob
1st Gear
Originally Posted by sancochojoe
what ship are you booked for??? Thats where it all starts...you know where to go look, right?
no, i have no idea where to look for. where do you find your shipping info?

Old 11-30-2007, 04:20 AM
sancochojoe
4th Gear
Yeah....my ship, Otello is pulling into the NY Port!!!

Old 11-30-2007, 04:26 AM
sancochojoe
4th Gear
Originally Posted by infamousxfob
no, i have no idea where to look for. where do you find your shipping info?
You should have your VIN number of your car and that can be found on MINI website or you can call ASK Mini and get it from the rep that picks up the phone.

Go to the below link:

http://schedule.2wglobal.com/AppTrac...trackType=Auto

Click the "auto cargo" link on the right

type in your VIN number on the left and click TRACK and it should tell you your ship that your car will be on....it won't be there until after your car is built though and you can keep calling "ask mini" to find out the status.

If you click the voyage number, which is a link, to the right of the word VOYAGE it should tell you the dates of departure and arrival throughout the ships voyage.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:27 AM
sancochojoe
4th Gear
Car has been discharged!!!!

DISCHARGED NEW YORK, NY 30/11/2007 08:00

Old 11-30-2007, 08:16 AM
jimmieshear
3rd Gear
folks on the maersk wind should keep an eye on the panama canal webcam today, the ship is running a full day ahead of schedule and should be passing through this morning. I'd give out a weblink but I'm on my phone typing this out. Just google panama canal webcam and you should get the right page.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:50 AM
drewster
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jimmieshear
folks on the maersk wind should keep an eye on the panama canal webcam today, the ship is running a full day ahead of schedule and should be passing through this morning. I'd give out a weblink but I'm on my phone typing this out. Just google panama canal webcam and you should get the right page.
looking at lagrasta's google maps link from yesterday, it had shown the ship passing thru the panama canal a few days ago and was already heading north in the pacific ocean. Was that tracking not correct? Now the daily updates on that google maps link doesn't seem to show current tracking.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:36 AM
lagrasta
1st Gear
I made the google maps for two ships. One was the Maersk wind which is carrying my car and another I can't remember right now. The other ship was already through the canal, but not the Maersk Wind.

It also looks like my anti-anti-copying efforts aren't working anymore. Like I said before sailwx.info technically discourages that "automated" use of their data.

Sorry, it was good while it lasted. To make up for it, here is the Panama Canal webcam link:
http://www.pancanal.com/eng/photo/camera-java.html

I'm gonna see if I can make a little script to grab images automatically. Maybe I can catch our ship. Does anyone know if they post a schedule? I saw some similar links, but the info was all generic.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:39 AM
austinMCS2007
1st Gear
Second Shipping Company?

What's the name of the shipping company other than Wallenius that Mini uses? And do they also allow you to track by VIN?

Old 11-30-2007, 09:43 AM
lagrasta
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jimmieshear
I'm definitely keeping my eyes on it, but it seems like it's progress has slowed near land. It's due to post an updated position in about twenty minutes. I guess I'll know more after that.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:58 AM
jimmieshear
3rd Gear
I think Sailwx goes off weather report information from the ships, and I believe they turn that off the closer to shore they get. So that's not a bad thing, just means they're close to the panama canal.

Our ship looks something like this (although I wouldn't count on it looking as nice as the picture in the link, or being the same paint job).
Maersk Wind info

Given the distance she can travel in a day I was assuming to see the ship in the locks this morning anywhere from 9am to noon PST, but who knows, the ship might have to slow as it approaches shore, then ask for a pilot .. ect .. could take hours. So .. I'll just keep my eye on the webcam and see what I find :-)

And it appears that the Maersk Sea is in the lock right now .. doh .. so close.

Quick Reply: R56 Production Week 46 Support Group