1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New MCS JCW arrives... with deep door scratch

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 05:34 PM
Halifax
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New MCS JCW arrives... with deep door scratch

Well, after waiting since mid-October for our new MINI, we got the word that she was going to be ready tonight when... our MA called and said that they found a 2" scratch on the passenger door, down to the metal!

She was sent to their body shop where they are re-painting the entire door. We are REALLY discouraged... Not a good way to start the MINI experience. She went from the factory to the port to the ship to VDC to Fairfield, CT and then in Fairfield she gets what the MA said looked like damage from a key....

We're now supposed to pick her up on Saturday.

Last edited by Halifax; 12-12-2007 at 07:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-12-2007, 06:24 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
That sucks! Be sure to really check the re-paint for color matching as well as paint texture. If your happy, ask for a discount, if you're not, then refuse it and order another.
function __RP_Callback_Helper(str, strCallbackEvent, splitSize, func){var event = null;if (strCallbackEvent){event = document.createEvent('Events');event.initEvent(str CallbackEvent, true, true);}if (str && str.length > 0){var splitList = str.split('|');var strCompare = str;if (splitList.length == splitSize)strCompare = splitList[splitSize-1];var pluginList = document.plugins;for (var count = 0; count < pluginList.length; count++){var sSrc = '';if (pluginList[count] && pluginList[count].src)sSrc = pluginList[count].src;if (strCompare.length >= sSrc.length){if (strCompare.indexOf(sSrc) != -1){func(str, count, pluginList, splitList);break;}}}}if (strCallbackEvent)document.body.dispatchEvent(even t);}function __RP_Coord_Callback(str){var func = function(str, index, pluginList, splitList){pluginList[index].__RP_Coord_Callback = str;pluginList[index].__RP_Coord_Callback_Left = splitList[0];pluginList[index].__RP_Coord_Callback_Top = splitList[1];pluginList[index].__RP_Coord_Callback_Right = splitList[2];pluginList[index].__RP_Coord_Callback_Bottom = splitList[3];};__RP_Callback_Helper(str, 'rp-js-coord-callback', 5, func);}function __RP_Url_Callback(str){var func = function(str, index, pluginList, splitList){pluginList[index].__RP_Url_Callback = str;pluginList[index].__RP_Url_Callback_Vid = splitList[0];pluginList[index].__RP_Url_Callback_Parent = splitList[1];};__RP_Callback_Helper(str, 'rp-js-url-callback', 3, func);}function __RP_TotalBytes_Callback(str){var func = function(str, index, pluginList, splitList){pluginList[index].__RP_TotalBytes_Callback = str;pluginList[index].__RP_TotalBytes_Callback_Bytes = splitList[0];};__RP_Callback_Helper(str, null, 2, func);}function __RP_Connection_Callback(str){var func = function(str, index, pluginList, splitList){pluginList[index].__RP_Connection_Callback = str;pluginList[index].__RP_Connection_Callback_Url = splitList[0];};__RP_Callback_Helper(str, null, 2, func);}

Old 12-12-2007, 06:54 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that. Give it a look & if it's fixed to your satisfaction take delivery. But first have them knock some $$$ of the price.

If it isn't done to your satisfaction refuse the car.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:15 PM
old81
M6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your MCS appears to be quite the MINI. Lots of super nice options. If the paint work is to your satisfaction take the MINI.

I would suggest you get an addendum that any and all paint issues on the door are fixed with a lifetime warranty by the dealer.

I would think this one would be a hard to replace but if you want an 08, then now might be the time.

Good luck.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:17 PM
Halifax
4th Gear
Thanks for the reply. I will check it thoroughly... man, I hope it's a match and smooth as silk. It's an hour and a half ride to the dealer... should be quite an anxious trip. This baby is way spec'd out ... we even did the 3M clear film thing to protect her. .. so oooouch. Maybe if I was a little less neurotic about my cars, it wouldn't be so bad. Our MA is like the dream car salesman, I'm absolutely awed by how easy (and refreshingly different) he's made this process for me and want to keep the relationship positive. In light of all of this ...any idea as to how much I should ask for a discount? Thanks again, I really appreciate the wisdom.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:40 PM
Mark Kurzius
3rd Gear
What color is LaB,I had painting done on my car before it was delivered and it was a perfect match,the car should be fine...just enjoy it...my JCW is just to much fun...as to a discount,why don't you talk to the manager and see what he might do for your aggrevation...who knows what they may do,I'm sure they have gotten to know you pretty well through the ordering process..In any case you will have a super fun Mini and one you should be proud of..Take care and enjoy

Old 12-14-2007, 06:11 AM
Halifax
4th Gear
LaB is Laser Blue (the toughest choice was color). I'll see what the dealer offers, but if it looks (and feels) 100%, I'll just ask for a lifetime warranty for the door. Tomorrow is the big day ... let us pray that there is not a meteor somewhere out in space bearing down on her this evening.
Thanks again Gents!

Old 12-14-2007, 06:23 AM
rockridge
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Be sure to get us a photo if you decide to accept it!

Old 12-15-2007, 08:18 PM
harley0711
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I am sorry, but I would NOT pay full price for a car with a re=paint... If you had two cars to choose from and one was a repainted door and both were the very same price - which one would you take???? thats my point... make the deal drop the price... this really sucks... good luck... if they won't and you still want the car - at least get something in writting that if the paint does change color then you can come back.... this alone should get them to drop the price some....

Old 12-15-2007, 08:55 PM
Mark Kurzius
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Halifax
LaB is Laser Blue (the toughest choice was color). I'll see what the dealer offers, but if it looks (and feels) 100%, I'll just ask for a lifetime warranty for the door. Tomorrow is the big day ... let us pray that there is not a meteor somewhere out in space bearing down on her this evening.
Thanks again Gents!
Just enjoy...you have special little car that you have put together...The paint will be fine....Take Care

Old 12-17-2007, 09:18 PM
fairline45
1st Gear
This is the problem I see with dealers. If you take that car in for a trade 3 years down the road, even at the same dealer, I can almost guarantee you that they will notice it when inspecting it and will dramatically reduce the value of the car. When they screw up and re-paint the car, they are trying to make it seem like everything is great but I think you should definitely get a discount.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:11 AM
Halifax
4th Gear
Hi Gents, Thx for all of the sage advice. The repair was perfect, absolutely perfect. We "did good" .. our MA gave us a nice MINI "zipper" cover, JCW door sills, and a bunch of other neat little things.

Photos in my gallery or at:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co....php?p=1938799

Thanks again!!!