1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for good buying strategy

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 08:12 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Think like you're going to a Saturn dealership. 99% of the time, the best you're going to do is MSRP.

We shopped all the Bay Area dealerships, and ended up getting it at Niello in Sacramento, because none of the Bay Area dealerships would even give us MSRP, and they wanted $1000 deposits as well.

Maybe you'll get some free goodies.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:13 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Carrie's example is exactly what I was talking about.......and she did a good deal and got exactly what she wanted. Plus, working with her local dealer like this means she's already got a relationship with them started. If something happens along the way, they'll be more likely to help her than if she bought it from dealer X, 2 hours away. Congrats on your new MINI, Carrie!

Old 12-27-2007, 05:23 AM
eleanor44
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
one suggestion I would make to a future buyer, as we did this, was to consider using a car broker. It cost $150 and for that price the broker consulted several dealers that he had worked with before. Got exactly the car I wanted (07 BRG/W MC) and got $1900 off- all negotiated by the broker. It really reduced the stress of the purchase process by leaving it to a professional and the broker fees more than paid for themselves. The guy was recommended by a friend but I'm sure you could find one online for your area.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:31 AM
sarafil
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BobsElise
Anyone know if anyone has been able to get this rate on an 08?
You CAN NOT get this through MINI unless you are buying a 2007... but I believe some other banks are now in the mid/upper 5's with top tier credit.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:23 AM
mikenaron
2nd Gear
I had some luck with mini of concord, but I just bought their internet special mini which was about 2.5k off MSRP. Got a 2007 Cooper S convertible with leather, 17 inch rims, heated seats, the stripe, and auto transmission for exactly 30k out the door. But they wouldn't budge much on others, so I found a car I could live with and I figured, I'd just mod it the way I wanted to.

MSRP for the car I have is 29,670 with the destination charge.

But the only way I got below MSRP was to take their "special" car from the lot. It just so happened that it was the color I wanted and an auto.. Everything else I couldn't care less for.

I bought my 2007 mini in early November.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:30 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pay msrp and quit yr bitchin, or wait until the 07 models have stacked up on lots right when the 08s come in, then y'll really get a deal like $500 over invoice. And for those of you bitchin about how Bay Area dealers wont budge off msrp, just remember those same dealers (like Concord) once had huge markups *over* msrp, but went to sticker when dealers like East Bay (always msrp) started to take their business.

The popularity of the product, and the supply to meet this popularity, is one reason msrp is the norm. And when it just PAINS you to pay msrp remember this: the average yearly depreciation on a MINI over its first 5 years is about 8-9%/year. It's not like yr losing 30-40% just driving it off the lot like most new cars.

I'll pay msrp for any car that loses less than 10%/year over its first 5 years.

PS the more expensive the MINI is, one loaded with a ton of accessories ($30k+), the more y'll likely be able to talk down a nickel or dime discount. Or buy a demo.

Last edited by sequence; 12-27-2007 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:35 PM
heilige
2nd Gear
I have one MINI dealer in my state. I spec out my MINI online. I check out the dealers reputation. I give my MA my configuration. I test drive a similar model. My MA says MSRP. I order and make out the check for the deposit.

I got what I want.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:04 PM
i8chilis
2nd Gear
I'm a resident of one of the 7 states that collect a state sales tax but do not collect a state income tax (Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Washington and Wyoming).
So I'm hoping Congress passes another extension of the 2004 American Jobs Creation Act (which expires at the end of 2007) so I can still deduct the $1412 sales tax from my MINI purchase (which won't complete until January 2008 or later) off next year's income taxes (if I itemize).
In the 28% bracket, assuming my ciphering is correct, that's $395 in savings (well, income tax refund) without having to negotiate with the MA at all.
For buyers itemizing their 2007 income taxes who can find something they like already on the lot within the next 4 days, it might be relevant.
http://www.kiplinger.com/columns/tax...7/tax1207.html

Old 12-27-2007, 07:40 PM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
I ordered exactly the car I wanted. The local MINI club out here (which I was a member of already, since I have an 05 MCS) has a great relationship with our local dealer. The Sales Manager assured me as a member of the club that I would get the lowest price possible; he even gave me his personal cell phone number. I was given a price over $1000 off of MSRP. Due to some difficulties once the car arrived (mainly some financing issues), I was given an additional $500 off, and still got the 4.9%

My advice would be to contact the local MINI club and see what their relationship is like with your local dealer. If it is good, see what they recommend you do (most likely a reference to a specific MA or the Sales Manager) and take it from there.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:20 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
deals like this are not the norm, and only happen if there's competition in areas where dealers are a-plenty like S CA or the NE. IOW anything like this would be impossible in areas like the intermountain West (3 dealers) or the Pac NW (2 dealers). As I said before, right when the 08s arrive is the best time to get a deal on remaining 07's. Sure U may not get the exact car U want, but hey U got a deal U can brag about for years, right?

And here's further proof that MINIs justify their msrp prices

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/...t_cars//7.html

Last edited by sequence; 01-07-2008 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:59 PM
yiyid416
1st Gear
Thanks for all the tips from everyone. Anyone from the South East region
(mainly Ga or the surrounding states) know the good dealers from the bad?

I heard that south Atlanta Mini people are nice. So i will definitely check it out. Being a girl, i think i will wait until my boyfriend is back from his business trip to go with me. Girls walking into a dealership just get no proper respect most of the time :(

Old 01-02-2008, 01:50 PM
oryx
2nd Gear
My bf and I just ordered two 08 MCSs from Mini of South Atlanta through amanda. We emailed several dealers in the SE (since we are in AL, and would have to drive anyway a couple hrs any direction to get one) to get quotes 1st. We ended up going to Global Imports 1st since they quoted us prices below MSRP out-the-door, but did not give me that great of a price for my trade-in, and wouldn't guarantee the trade-in offer for the time when my car would come in 6 weeks. (I wasn't surprised that this was going to happen, based on the others I've chatted to on here and their experiences).

So we walked out and decided to go down to MoSA and meet with amanda. They ended up matching our quote from Global and gave me a little bit better trade (still not the greatest), and they would guarantee me a minimum price on my trade-in by the time my car arrives in 6 weeks. We decided to order from them bc they were very nice and willing to match a quote and seem easier to work with.

Good Luck!