1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many credit card awards did you get on your new car purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 04:10 PM
AT T 2D
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AT T 2D
I am going to put a significant amount on my Mini Visa when I pick up my car on Saturday. I have already notified the dealer of this and they did not respond. I spoke to both the 800 number for the Mini card and the corporate offices for Visa. It is in the merchants agreement that allows them to accept Visa cards that they CAN NOT limit the maximum amount you can charge as long as you have the amount available on your credit line.

They can suggest that they only want you to put $2,000 on the card for example, but if they refuse more, they are risking losing their ability to accept credit cards. I have worked at one of the largest banks in the country for over 20 years.

I am very disappointed to say that the above quote almost kept me from purchasing the car I have been waiting since the beginning of December for. I went through with the deal because I ordered it for my daughters 16th birthday which is this week. The dealer determined my identity from the type of car I have on order, my city, and the date I was picking it up. They were not happy with my post, but when pressed could not tell me what was wrong with it (I have not edited it). I do not want to go into more details here, but be aware that the dealers watch these forums very closely. Needless to say of the 23 brand new cars I have purchased, three in the last year, this is the worst experience I have had with a dealer. I do not want to name the dealer for fear of what they might do next, but I do want to state that it is NOT the Charlotte, NC dealer. I made the wrong decision to drive a little farther north for a better deal - obviously the wrong decision on my part.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:16 PM
BlackdogTurbo
1st Gear
That's extremely creepy

I'm very sorry you had such a terrible experience. One would think that an organization which is prepared to accept an enormous sum of money from you would treat you at least a little nicely. I hope it doesn't detract from the fun of the new Mini,
Blackdog

Old 01-14-2008, 06:32 PM
kgardnez
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Um, I hope you guys can do better than 1% back, my lowest card is 2% back on everything and there are a number out there that will provide more on specific items.

My dealer will allow an entire car, but they will card you a % (I believe 2%) on anything over $2,500.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:54 PM
BlackdogTurbo
1st Gear
eh?

I don't understand - They charge you extra for paying by card? That doesn't seem quite right either...Unless there is a corresponding discount for paying by cash!

Old 01-15-2008, 05:59 AM
i8chilis
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by AT T 2D
I am very disappointed to say that the above quote almost kept me from purchasing the car I have been waiting since the beginning of December for. I went through with the deal because I ordered it for my daughters 16th birthday which is this week. The dealer determined my identity from the type of car I have on order, my city, and the date I was picking it up. They were not happy with my post, but when pressed could not tell me what was wrong with it (I have not edited it). I do not want to go into more details here, but be aware that the dealers watch these forums very closely. Needless to say of the 23 brand new cars I have purchased, three in the last year, this is the worst experience I have had with a dealer. I do not want to name the dealer for fear of what they might do next, but I do want to state that it is NOT the Charlotte, NC dealer. I made the wrong decision to drive a little farther north for a better deal - obviously the wrong decision on my part.
Perhaps one of the NAM coordinators or long-term members can reply with whether it was inappropriate (or just plain rude) for me to start this thread.

Regarding saving money on the process, I've previously posted here, without listing my "out the door" cost...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=125555

Is anyone else divided between respect for (and/or fear of retribution from) the dealer, and trying to help NAM members get a lower price?