1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All Aboard TRIANON!!! Departing SH 3/13/08 (FINALLY!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 08:52 AM
tigermann
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks RJ,

I get the feeling that MINIUSA is running at least a day behind actual status, so I don't know what good it will do when status changes to "at your dealer" since I would think the dealer would have called us by then.

Anyway, now we're in a race to see which dealers get our cars first, and I'm curious to see how much the distance from VDC to the individual dealers really plays in delivery time.

So shipmates, please post when you hear of the final dealer arrival.

Cheers!

Old 04-10-2008, 09:05 AM
Ivygirl702
4th Gear
Lucy's status has also been updated in the OL.
My husband is calling our MA today, so if we get any useful info, I'll post it.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:22 PM
caulyne
4th Gear
Just popped up on my email. YEAH!! If they can get it done by this weekend, I'll be up in Phx this weekend! hehehhehe

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][FONT=&quot]Your MINI came in today [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Wingdings][SIZE=4][FONT=Wingdings]J[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][FONT=&quot] We’ll have to get the accessories put on it, when do you think you’ll be up here so you can pick up your MINI? [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 04-10-2008, 03:26 PM
caulyne
4th Gear
Looks like I might be picking up on Sunday. YEAH!

Old 04-10-2008, 03:47 PM
Ivygirl702
4th Gear
I didn't get to talk to my MA, but another gentleman helped me, looked it up on the computer and said that my Mini was loaded onto the truck. They (the dealer) wasn't sure if the truck was leaving this afternoon or first thing tomorrow morning.

Either way, they will have her tomorrow and they will be calling me as soon as they get her.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:48 PM
caulyne
4th Gear
Yeah for Lucy!

Old 04-10-2008, 03:50 PM
MINIchaser
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ivygirl702
...I didn't get to talk to my MA...
I see that you're in SanDiego... did you order through Brecht? If so, who was your MA?

I actually didn't order through there I ended up going through a broker, but the guy that helped me out at Brecht is super awesome! His name is Rod Johnson.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Ivygirl702
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIchaser
I see that you're in SanDiego... did you order through Brecht? If so, who was your MA?
Yes, we went through Brecht. My MA's name is Clifford Oko-Odoi (everyone calls him Okey-dokey! ), but everyone that I've come in contact with at Brecht has been overly nice. I can't say enough nice things about them!

Yay for you Caulyne!! Make sure to post pictures when you get your Mama-mobile!

Old 04-10-2008, 03:59 PM
MINIchaser
4th Gear
[quote=Ivygirl702;2154306]..My MA's name is Clifford Oko-Odoi (everyone calls him Okey-dokey! )...quote]

haha that's great!

Old 04-10-2008, 04:30 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
My MA says Molly should arrive on Saturday. We will call 1st (per Husband) and go for a short visit!! Delivery will be next Friday or Saturday!! They will have alot of work to do on Molly. ClearBra, Mud Flaps, Bonnet Stripes, if they are not already on her, and an Alarm. She's almost LOADED!!!

Old 04-10-2008, 04:36 PM
caulyne
4th Gear
Yeah for Molly! Hope you have a great "first date" before you take her home!

Hopefully by Sunday I'll know if my Mini is a girl, Moneypenny, or a boy, Mr. Darcy. Or Mr. Knightly. Not sure on that one.

Sadly, I don't think the MINI POOPER t will arrive in time for Gavin to wear on Sunday. At least we have his big boy carseat:

I think Fred the dog will have to drive home with daddy in the Jeep.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:45 PM
caulyne
4th Gear
Compiled from other posts: things to look for on delivery:

-All options present? Go down your build sheet line-by-line.

-Uneven panel gaps? Run your finger along the different panel seams. hood, doors, boot and bonnet. If you feel (or see) the gap "pinch" together, ask them to fix it.

-Windows, trim and seals. No cracks or dings in the glass. All seals appear smooth and even? No budges or gaps that might suggest a future leak?

-All panels securely attached? Everything appear solid at the edges? Black plastic fenders, too? Grab 'em. Give 'em a wiggle. Rear spoiler, too?

-Bonnet, boot and doors. Do they all open and close in a uniform manner? Latches secure? Levers and handles feel solid? No notcheyness, snags or strangeness? Everything appear to seal up tight? Listen for wind-noise during your test-drive, too.

-Even paint coverage and color? Make sure to look in a well lit area. Outside, if possible.

-Dents, dings, scratches or scrapes in the surface suffered during shipping (rare, but happens)?

-Fit and finish of interior. Look for stitching issues in the seats. Even/uniform carpeting coverage. Headliner, too. Scrapes or scratches on the side panels, dash or color line.

-Steering wheel & Column. Doest it tilt and telescope as designed? No strange noises going lock-to-lock?

-Windows go up & down? Smooth consistent motor speed?

-Full sunroof operation (if applicable)? Tips both panes and fully retracts.

-Check the fit and function of all the control ***** and switches. Check 'em one-by-one. Stereo, too. Don't be afraid to play it LOUD at the dealer. Use the radio. Used the CD player. AUX-in port, too. Make sure it all works. As well as the fit of the speakers in the doors and dash. This includes your remote key, too.

-Interior lighting. Changing colors as designed. All other door-sill, foot-well and reading lights working (wherever they may be)?

-Air conditioning blowing cold and all climate controls working as intended? Check it if you've got it.

-All lighting equipment operational? Lights, blinkers, etc... headlights aimed properly.

-All fluids present and topped off? Sounds silly, but... I never assume.

-Tires. Check tire pressure and double-check they are mounted in the proper direction. There are little arrows on the side that show which way they should be rotating. Improperly mounted and inflated tires can effect something as simple as gas mileage... or cause something as bad as a firey crash (a mild exaggeration if you look at the big Firestone/Bridgestone fiasco a few years back). This is particularly important with runflat tires, since it is not likely that you will notice the feel of an under-inflated tire.

-Paint & Finish - go over the entire exterior paint with your hand to identify the smoothness of the finish, there have apparently been damaged/repaired areas during transport that are not the same as manufactured quality.[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/CAULYN%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]

-Rear headliner - is it firmly attached to the interior roof above the rear passenger windows.

- Car jack and wrench - they should be identified as 5DD on the Vehicle Inquiry Report.

- Clear plastic paint-rub circles for the bonnet and hood intact? They are located where the rubber "stand-offs" meet the painted bodywork, to eliminate paint damage.

Then go for a test drive:

-Rattles or squeeks? all cars have 'em... but any that concern you, bring up to the dealer.

-Transmission noise and function. Upshifts and downshifts well? Any noises out of the ordinary tranny whine (particularly downshifting from 3rd to 2nd)?

-Engine noise and function. Does it sound smooth? No misses, pops, surges or stumbles?

-All gauges appear to be working as intended? No bouncing speedo or burnt out LEDs in the display screens (very rare, but it happens)?

- Cruise control - Operate as normal, not inadvertently cut-off during operation.[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/CAULYN%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_image002.gif[/IMG]

- Does the VIN number on the vehicle match that listed in your purchase paperwork?

Questions to ask before delivery:
  • Are there dealer stickers that you apply? Please don't
  • If you are in a state that does NOT require a front license plate, ask the dealer to NOT apply one. Otherwise you will have two drilled holes in your front bumper, however make sure you receive the bracket for the plate upon delivery.
  • Ask or specify which programs you would like applied. Examples: Follow me home lights, Auto door locks, auto unlock, Daytime Running lights, Sunroof/Hood key operation, etc.
  • Please keep the sticker intact.
Questions to ask at dealership/Things to be sure is included:
  • Was there any damage repaired that was incurred during shipping?
  • Has the cold start software update been applied?
  • First inspection checklist
  • Battery maintenance form
  • Any freebies? :smile::smile::smile:
Under Bonnet:
  • Check oil levels
  • Check coolant level and color
  • Check for coolant tank leaks and seals
  • Check brake fluid
  • Check transmission fluid
  • Check windshield wiper fluid
  • Remove clear sticker on Mini logo if it is there
  • Check for loose battery cables
  • Check all connections are tight
  • Check for condensation in headlights
  • Check headlight lenses for scratches or blemishes
Car Interior:
  • Interior lights are operable with opening doors
  • Passenger and Driver side doors are well lit
  • Interior dash and door pockets are not scratched
  • Check driver/passenger seats work and move well. Check condition
  • Check rear passenger seats fold down properly
  • Check all seatbelts work and are in good condition
  • Check glove compartment
  • Received Owner's Manual
  • VIN matches
  • Check the miles on the car
  • Check for all ordered options
  • With windows closed, check that glass sits flush with seals and there are no gaps
  • Check windows for cracks or marks
  • Check that all rubber seals around door housings are not loose and in place
  • Check A/C fans and operation.
Boot:
  • Check boot shuts flush and properly- check 3-4 times
  • Check for condensation in the tail lights
  • Check lenses on tail lights for scratches or blemishes
Paint/Exterior:
  • Check all lamps (Headlights, Brake lights, Right Directional [front and rear] Left Directional [front and rear])
  • Check paint work is free of dirt marks, hairline scratches or any type of scratches and factory paint drips (Visible areas, underneath your doors, around edges of boot and bonnet)
  • Check alloys are free from marks or scratches
  • Check wheel spats are free from marks or scratches
  • Check underneath bumpers
  • Check windshield seals and condition
  • Check folding wing mirrors
  • Check tires (condition, pressure, rod nuts-while there check to see plastic spacers were removed from springs-photo is attached on inmmini's post-#25)
Key:
  • Received extra keys
Test Drive:
  • Smooth transmission operation
  • Check brakes
  • Check for squeals, rattles or any strange noises
  • Check for left hand pull
  • Check for steering column noise (clicks or pops upon rotation of wheel)
  • Automatic locking at 10 MPH
  • Navigation is operational (if applicable)
  • Check cruise control (if applicable)
  • Check radio/CD and speakers
  • Automatic wipers on cleaning
  • Speed sensitive wipers
  • Horn
  • Are all warning lights in working order? Do any stay on?

Old 04-10-2008, 05:21 PM
TheEnglishGuy
1st Gear
Rod Rocks. Shame He's Hamstrung.

Originally Posted by MINIchaser
I actually didn't order through there I ended up going through a broker, but the guy that helped me out at Brecht is super awesome! His name is Rod Johnson.
We loved Rod.

Unfortunately, while he told us he could do $500 under MSRP and we agreed to progress there and then, he went in the back to sort out paperwork and the guy back there refused him.

Rod was amazing. It just felt like Brecht as a business' attitude was, "Screw you guys, we're the only shop in town. We can make you pay if you want a Mini."

Long Beach were more interested in doing the deal so we went with them. $500 is more than worth two three hour round trips (to order and to pick up). Plus $500 not $1,000 on the downpayment. Plus far less of a fight to get their dealer options removed.

Shame though, for all his help, we'd have loved to have placed the order with Rod.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:30 PM
TheEnglishGuy
1st Gear
Just spoke to Long Beach...

Released to the carrier 2 days ago. Sat there doing nothing. They're expecting it either tonight or in the morning.

They need an hour for inspection, about three total so they can detail it.

We'll likely be heading up tomorrow night. Yay for Friday San Diego to LA traffic.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Ivygirl702
4th Gear
Wow, thanks Caulyne!

I love the Jane Austen names, both are favorites. I'm in the middle of "Emma" right now. But, Mr. Darcy takes all.. Elizabeth and he are my favorite literary characters.

Is it true that you get a birth certificate with your Mini, stating the sex? I would hate to have my heart set on "Lucy" only to find out my Mini's boy!

Old 04-10-2008, 07:34 PM
caulyne
4th Gear
I think it may depend on your dealer as to what the birth certificate says. I'd make them change it if I thought it was wrong! heheh. We'll see once I meet him/her!

It's tough for me to pick between P&P and Emma as my fav's. I reread each about once a year. Of course, I thought about maybe naming it Firth for my fav Darcy..but I don't know...

I can't believe we're all getting so close. I took hubby out to dinner tonight, just so I could have a martini to celebrate. (GREEN apple of course! heheh)

Looking like Sunday at noon!

Old 04-10-2008, 09:03 PM
TheEnglishGuy
1st Gear
They're in at Long Beach. Someone with a very flaming voice was bemused as to how I could know within half an hour of their getting in. I told him they had an active stalker community on the internet.

They apparently need a few hours before it's ready to be picked up but stalk...calling first apparently has ours in the front of whatever queue for getting checked out, detailed, etc. for an afternoon pickup tomorrow.

We're grabbing a ride with a colleague up there in the early evening so we can both drive back together tomorrow night.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:31 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
So what does "Estimated Delivery Date" really mean?? I'm not supposed to pick up Molly until next Friday. Does that mean she's on a Covered Wagon heading up I-5 on her way to the Dealership TODAY!!!

Old 04-11-2008, 02:10 PM
MINIchaser
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TheEnglishGuy
... It just felt like Brecht as a business' attitude was, "Screw you guys, we're the only shop in town. We can make you pay if you want a Mini..."

Shame though, for all his help, we'd have loved to have placed the order with Rod.
That is exactly why we went through a broker. The broker actually placed the order through South Bay MINI in torrance, and I agree, it's well worth the drive to get the deal and terms you want.

I, also, would have loved to place a MINI through Rod. Too bad

Old 04-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Ivygirl702
4th Gear
Wow, sorry to hear that the experience at Brecht wasn't good for either of you, Minichaser and TheEnglishGuy. I have had nothing but good stuff happen...

Except that they said they would call today to tell me when I can pick her up... And they haven't. But, really, who's sitting by the phone waiting? No one.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:40 PM
TheEnglishGuy
1st Gear
Wow, sorry to hear that the experience at Brecht wasn't good for either of you, Minichaser and TheEnglishGuy.
The first 99% of the experience was great.

Right up until money was about to change hands.

Rod was awesome. The selection was decent (aside from only having one manual S). They took their time, let us look endlessly, gave us multiple test drives.

It was just that very last hurdle, after Rod had agreed what he believed was a price he could offer, when the guy out the back yanked the rug from under him.

It sucked because we'd have gone out of our way to ensure Rod got the commission after the great experience with him... we just couldn't bring ourselves to drop $500 extra to simply say thankyou.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:48 AM
TheEnglishGuy
1st Gear
Bannister (named after Roger, the Englishman who broke the 4 minute mile) is now home.

Stem caps and carpet floor mats got thrown in for free.

The $2499 72mth/100k maintenance plan became $1999 once we hesitated. Regular oil changes and an extra set of brake pads after the initial warranty is up will cover that. Plus now we only have to worry about actual repairs rather than any maintenance costs for the next six years.

They tried to hit us up for Lo Jack, tire protection, extra insurance, clear coats, paint protection, etc. for a little over $7k total. 2k went to the maintenance, the rest we left.

As for that 1200 miles under 4.5k rpm... Ooops.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:46 AM
Ivygirl702
4th Gear
Congrats on your new baby! Post pics when you get a chance!

Old 04-12-2008, 08:11 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TheEnglishGuy
As for that 1200 miles under 4.5k rpm... Ooops.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:18 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
I'm glad to hear most of your experiences have been great. I couldn't get any info. yesterday on Molly. My MA is off on Friday's, so if I wanted any info. I needed to call back when he was in which is TODAY!!

Quick Reply: All Aboard TRIANON!!! Departing SH 3/13/08 (FINALLY!!!)