1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All Aboard TRIANON!!! Departing SH 3/13/08 (FINALLY!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 08:17 AM
caulyne
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you pushing it in long enough? I found that you push and hold, and then do short pushes to advance, push and hold to set. There are A LOT of menus. In fact, I was getting frustrated when trying to set the three click turns, and finally found a "More" listing.. and then it worked!

The directions aren't really clear.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:31 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Caulyne...guess I just need t o figure out when to 'hold' and when to 'tap'...I guess!!

Last edited by RJKimbell; 04-20-2008 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Misplaced *smiley*
Old 04-20-2008, 08:32 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
BTW...Gavin will be driving THAT car before you know it!!!

Old 04-20-2008, 08:32 AM
caulyne
4th Gear
Don't worry.. I'm wishing I had pushed to have my MA help... I need to get out there today and do a little more programming myself.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:34 AM
caulyne
4th Gear
I know! My little butter ball (born on Thanksgiving) is growing up soo fast! He loves the MINI!

Old 04-20-2008, 08:53 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Caulyne...Stupid Question (Duh Moment??) Does the Molly have to be running when setting the computer?? Hubby thinks that might be where I'm having the issues.

Last edited by RJKimbell; 04-20-2008 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Adding...
Old 04-20-2008, 08:55 AM
caulyne
4th Gear
I don't think it HAS to, but I think I had mine on.

Also, the menu before the menu you want looks a lot like the one you need. (Wow, how's that for a non-specific statement?) Make sure the picture is the same as the one in the manual. I was getting frustrated, then realized I needed to go one further.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:17 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Thanks for the Help...I'll be working on it again shortly, going to get ready for the day!!! Enjoy your Sunday!!!

Old 04-20-2008, 12:54 PM
Ivygirl702
4th Gear
RJK -- You don't have to have the car on, but the ignition has to be on. [Put your key in and push the start button - foot off the brake]. I tried to set up my automatic locks and it didn't work right away... I'll be doing the programming all this afternoon.

Caulyne -- I love the stripes, Fitz looks great.

Lucy already has a fine layer of dust due to our dirt driveway.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:41 PM
a517458
2nd Gear
im really jealousy you guys we still have 2 more weeks to wait..

Old 04-20-2008, 02:39 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Ivygirl...tell Molly that. She wanted to be Humming softly while I was able to program her in the Fry's Parking Lot. Hubby broke down and bought a 80g iPod, I got an 8g Nano!! I kept telling him once we go OUT the Door you cannot complain about Apple AGAIN!! (I know it's NOT the end of it)
Had more HAIL while sitting in the parking lot and showers on the way home, I need to recalibrate Molly's Auto-Wipers, she amused us both by swiping away and I had NO idea how to stop it!! Oh...and the Rear Wiper has a mind of its OWN!!
It's been a Great Day!! We put about 70+Miles on her today. She was quite comfortable at the Higher Speeds and getting onto the Freeway I think I topped the 4500rpm NO...NO...Oooops!

Old 04-20-2008, 06:42 PM
Ivygirl702
4th Gear
Lucy already has almost 200 miles on her! Today we set up the automatic locks and the bluetooth. That is the most awesome thing I've ever seen! The calls are so clear, I love it!

RJK -- I'm so glad you are having fun with Molly. Basically, I'm so glad that the wait is over for all of us!

Old 04-20-2008, 06:50 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
What phones do you have Ivygirl...I may be looking for some assistance once we upgrade our Phones, Plan and Carrier.
Looks like tomorrow will be Molly's 1st AM/PM Rush Hour commute. Hope she's READY!!

Old 04-20-2008, 07:08 PM
Ivygirl702
4th Gear
We each have a Blackberry Curve. It's a great phone that I can't live without and now I love it even more [and I didn't think that was possible] because it worked perfectly with Lucy. Fairly easy to integrate.

If you need help with your phone [or your new iPods], let me know, I'd be happy to help.

Tomorrow is Lucy's first rush hour commute as well.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:35 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ivygirl702
We each have a Blackberry Curve. It's a great phone that I can't live without and now I love it even more [and I didn't think that was possible] because it worked perfectly with Lucy. Fairly easy to integrate.

If you need help with your phone [or your new iPods], let me know, I'd be happy to help.

Tomorrow is Lucy's first rush hour commute as well.
Thanks for the offer...Hubby will be getting the Sony Ericson Walkman and I will be getting the Samsung Blackjack II. We have to wait until June when our current plan expires, but if we have issues then I'll definitely holler. Glad to hear the system is working as described and the sound quality is so good.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:50 PM
caulyne
4th Gear
Sounds like you are having fun!! Fitz has been to Target and Home Depot and back twice each today. (Put my motoring badge holder on and needed longer screws, and then, on someone's recommendation, I got the wrong size. Then we washed the cars and have been hangin' out.

Have fun on your commutes! I go from my bedroom to my home office as my commute, but I'll be heading up to Phoenix again next weekend, so I'll get some more miles on him then. Should be through with the break in by mid-May at this rate! heheh. 403 miles on him so far...

Old 04-20-2008, 09:32 PM
Ivygirl702
4th Gear
I still need to get my badge holder. I'm leaning towards the one from gominigo that attaches to the license plate. I did put in my floor mats. And I keep finding reasons to just go out there...

Old 04-20-2008, 09:39 PM
tigermann
1st Gear
Fellow shipmates,

Glad you're all enjoying your new rides! Now that I've had the Clubbie for a few days I have some really dumb questions.

First, being from the "old school" of automotive maintenance, I'm kind of disappointed that we don't get a real maintenance schedule (like every car I have ever owned in the past) and as far as I can figure out, all my computer says is my next service is at 15,000 miles or 3/2010?. Is that what you are seeing? No way I'm waiting that long for the first oil change. I have always done a first change at around 1,500 Mi, then followed by a second at 5,000, and every 5K after that...What am I missing?

The other confusing thing is the CD player - I ordered the base radio and assume I have a single CD player - the one in the dash - as I see no way to load more - but I can't really tell - no where in any paperwork or on the MINIUSA build options does it ever state how many CDs my system has, nor any option for a multiple (6) CD changer, but the manual says if you have a multiple CD player, it will be in the glove box (nothing in mine). So my question is; what option did you have to order to get the multiple CD changer?

Anyway, went to AAA and got CA personal plate "CLUBBIE" for lack of anything more clever (CLUBMAN was taken).....and, just having a ball watching the first tank of gas slowly move down Vs my 12 MPG pickup - already saved around $60 this week!!!

Cheers,

Old 04-20-2008, 10:02 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tigermann
Fellow shipmates,

Glad you're all enjoying your new rides! Now that I've had the Clubbie for a few days I have some really dumb questions.

First, being from the "old school" of automotive maintenance, I'm kind of disappointed that we don't get a real maintenance schedule (like every car I have ever owned in the past) and as far as I can figure out, all my computer says is my next service is at 15,000 miles or 3/2010?. Is that what you are seeing? No way I'm waiting that long for the first oil change. I have always done a first change at around 1,500 Mi, then followed by a second at 5,000, and every 5K after that...What am I missing?

The other confusing thing is the CD player - I ordered the base radio and assume I have a single CD player - the one in the dash - as I see no way to load more - but I can't really tell - no where in any paperwork or on the MINIUSA build options does it ever state how many CDs my system has, nor any option for a multiple (6) CD changer, but the manual says if you have a multiple CD player, it will be in the glove box (nothing in mine). So my question is; what option did you have to order to get the multiple CD changer?

Anyway, went to AAA and got CA personal plate "CLUBBIE" for lack of anything more clever (CLUBMAN was taken).....and, just having a ball watching the first tank of gas slowly move down Vs my 12 MPG pickup - already saved around $60 this week!!!

Cheers,
Tigermann...I agree with you TOTALLY. I and/or Hubby will be taking Molly in for a 1250mi. Oil Change, then every 5000mi. after that. You will end up paying for 2 Oil Changes per/yr. but so what...Molly is a PERMANENT member of our family and I will NOT let her go without adequate maintenance!! Once the time gets close call the Dealer and get the appt. some may balk at you, but it is that important.
Single Disc CD Player...at least that's what we have, we are happy with that. See previous Hubby & I got iPods, they work GREAT!!! I think the Multiple CD Changer is $725 (see Build Configurator #5 under Audio/Electric).
Have had AAA for years, don't think Molly will be needing since Road Side Assistance is covered, but keeping it for our 12mpg (Commute mpg) '01 Dodge Durango.
Glad you got a FUN CA Plate!!

Old 04-20-2008, 10:11 PM
Ivygirl702
4th Gear
Ok, I don't want to sound lame [since I know NOTHING about cars], but why is it so important to get an oil change after 1500 miles? The Civic I owned prior was changed every 5000, but my MA assured me that Lucy could go 15000 miles between oil changes. What am I missing?

We also have the single cd player due to the permanent attachment of the iPod to my hand.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:02 AM
tigermann
1st Gear
Thanks RJ,

Ivygirl, the philosophy behind the importance of that FIRST oil change is this; your new engine is a mechanical beast with a bunch of brand new mechanical moving, mating and meshing gears and parts. Those first few hours of running is when all those new moving parts start to "fit" together and define their true mating surfaces. That process releases microscopic metal particles into the oil. This happens forever, but never as much as in the engine's infancy, when everything is new.

The purpose of an oil filter and in many cases, a magnetic oil drain plug, is to get those floating metal particles out of the oil as quick as possible so they don't return through the engine and speed up the wear process. The belief is that doing that first oil change so early, say around the first 1500 miles, is to get rid of that first batch of metal particles from your engine - and should enhance the life of the motor greatly.

As far as the rest of your oil changes' regularity, in the old days (and even today if you listen to a Jiffylube ad) the recommended change was every 3,000 miles. Today, with better oil technology (synthetics) and maybe better filters, the school of thought is to change every 5,000. Sure, dealers claim you can go longer (some Cadillacs say first change at 100,000!) but if you are going to keep that car more than 3 years I recommend 5,000, if nothing else, just to insure minimizing reduced performance as it ages.

OIL CHANGES ARE CHEAP - ENGINES ARE NOT

Cheers,

Old 04-21-2008, 10:11 AM
caulyne
4th Gear
I'd recommend the plate-holder-attaching motoring badge holder if you want an easy project. Taking the front grill off wasn't TOO bad, but one of the pins was sort of melted, so I had to drill it out, and now I'm going to have to see if I can track down another one to replace it. Then drilling through part of the grill was a little crazy. But, I love the look of it.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:44 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Great explanation, I couldn't have said it better myself!!
Caulyne...You've DRILLED into your Grill??

Old 04-21-2008, 10:47 AM
caulyne
4th Gear
Yes, as per this link: http://www.robrobinette.com/MiniGrill.htm

The front motoring badge holder requires two tiny holes. Though, if any of you are considering this, I recommend #6-32 1 1/2 inch screws, not #10.

I'll take some pics in a bit today.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:16 PM
caulyne
4th Gear
Here's some pics of my motoring badge holder installed:

Quick Reply: All Aboard TRIANON!!! Departing SH 3/13/08 (FINALLY!!!)