1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 16 Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 11:20 AM
SeattleMini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The OL just now reported my mcs at the vdc... I wonder if was damaged en route and that's why its taking so long? This week has been hard watching everyone else get their minis! (Congrats to you guys though)

I'm hoping for delivery next week.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:37 AM
cutters68
2nd Gear
MiniBella, Wow that Nightfire RED is s hot! I wish that color was available for S's. It might have swayed me from my Astro Black. Just an awesome looking Mini! Congrats peter314! What took you soooo long. I know it was killing you. Great looking CR/B. Love the lounge leather! I have been enjoying mine for nearly three weeks now. Just changed my break-in oil and I would highly recommend anyone who plans on keeping their baby for the long run to do the same. Its easy thanks to my NAM friends, but alas that is another thread topic. Happy Motoring!

Old 05-29-2008, 11:42 AM
cutters68
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by SeattleMini
The OL just now reported my mcs at the vdc... I wonder if was damaged en route and that's why its taking so long? This week has been hard watching everyone else get their minis! (Congrats to you guys though)

I'm hoping for delivery next week.
I am sure its fine. The OL can be as much as 3-4 days behind. Heck your Mini may already be on its way to the dealer. You should call your MA. Their info is more up to date. Goodluck and we are all waiting for the photos.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:37 PM
steaming79
4th Gear
cutters is right about calling your dealer/MA, seattlemini.

and yeah....if nightfire red was an S option, i would've gotten it. and minibella's shots got the nice deep richness of the color.

my gas light came on today on the way to work. earlier than i expected actually (hopefully its not because i stalled the car like 2 dozen times since i got it. i haven't stalled in the past 2-3 days though.). it started off with a full tank. i just don't know what grade. the gas light light went off as soon as 2 bars were left (66 miles left according to the computer). so now theres a triangular exclamation mark next to my mileage. i figure i'm gonna fill up when theres just a bar left to clean out the tank. so judging by the computer, i'm only going to get 440 miles from this current tank.

definitely going to change my oil once i reach 1200 miles. i've seen the pics & how to in the coupe forum, but man that engine bay is more cramped than i thought it would be. but i should learn how to change the oil on this MINI, even if its a tad more complicated than my previous vehicles.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:16 PM
cutters68
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by steaming79
(hopefully its not because i stalled the car like 2 dozen times since i got it. i haven't stalled in the past 2-3 days though.).
I have found that hitting the SPORT button when I am in town really eliminates potential stalls and jumpy starts. I haven't stalled mine yet, (haven't owned a manual since college '91) but have came close then I discovered how much better the throttle response is in the SPORT mode and every start is way smoother. I haven't noticed any drop in MPG with SPORT button either.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:34 PM
steaming79
4th Gear
i'll have to remember to push the sport button whenever i'm in car. i forget that the button exists (along with the dsc off button). thanks for the tip!

Old 05-29-2008, 04:49 PM
MiniBella
4th Gear
Thanks guys! That's what I thought when I first went to the dealer. Had planned on one of the silvers. When I narrowed it down to a JustaCooper instead of an S that sealed the deal. I really do love the richness and how it changes color depending on the lighting.

Good to hear that shifting is getting easier for you s79. Pretty soon it will be second nature.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:01 PM
Satsloader
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Steaming79 said "so now theres a triangular exclamation mark next to my mileage."

Me too, I was ( and still am ) wondering what that was indicating, as I only have 129 miles on the vehicle. I thought it might have something to do with the fact that I'm also getting the tire low indicator when I install the FOB. It came on when the M.A. powered up the vehicle while giving me operator instructions, and his comment was "Hmmm, I wonder why that's on"? It quickly went off, and so he didn't seem to think it was anything. I'm now thinking the air pressure calibration, if there is such a thing, is off, as the tires look OK. I'll do a check of each tire with my gauge just to be sure though.. Any thoughts folks?

Bill in P.G.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:28 PM
SteveJ
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Satsloader
Steaming79 said "so now theres a triangular exclamation mark next to my mileage."
Doesn't that mean "high score"?

Hey stats,
You'll all see the roof hopefully this weekend. The MA said they are still waiting for the Clubman decalsets to come in. They are eager to see a sharp "dressed" 'man.
My wife was more than a little bummed...no...pissed about the roof not being done on pick up. I have to take the car in for the decals maybe tomorrow. I'll use that as another opportunity to work on a spare tire. At the least I'll make sure we get the Clubman script mats.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:34 PM
danhen
1st Gear
Congrats to all! It's great seeing the list fill up with mini-logo's. I'm thinking that the remaining Independence II travelers have simply not checked in?

Old 05-29-2008, 10:01 PM
peter314
5th Gear
well thanks guys, the car is great, i love it, i fixed the problem with the seat, if you look at the track and there’s a little thing i have no idea what to call it, but if you can see something on the left side track or the drivers seat and the right of the passenger, push that towards the front of the car and then try the memory seat thing, it worked for me, and the TPMS, go into the cars computer and find the screen that says "active - reset" click reset, i called the dealer today on the TPMS, and asked if i could click the reset and he said yea, so i did and its fine now, tires are all fine, and the message doesn’t come up now, Oh and today was a great day, met up with a friend, S79 you know who, its cool between us, had a great day in the mini, went out to eat, went to a nice dark spot and chilled and looked at the stars, great night and when it was time to take her home, driving down the Tobin bridge, who do i meet? Boston police speed trap! *****-F*******!!!! didn’t see any signs on the bridge after the tolls, so i just got back up to highway speed, and in the mini everyone knows this, you can get up to speed Very quickly without knowing or wanting to, which happened to me, so as was driving, tunnels coming up and sign says "reduce speed ahead 30mph" ok so im off the gas and just coasting down into the tunnel and EVEN before i get into the tunnel there’s a cop in my lane from about 600 ft in front of me pointing me to the side of the road, there were also two other cars with me, traveling the same speed because one was in front of me but not pulling away or me passing him, and the same for the guy behind me. He Waves the other two cars past, Letting them continue driving, and singles me out, [FONT=Arial]i didn’t know what was going on at first after seeing how he let the other cars pass by, i thought to my self, he couldn’t be pulling me over for speeding, he let the others go by, is this a random search? he comes over to the window and im like visibly shaken, i didn’t know wtf was going on. and scared to think of whats to come if i got a ticket, which i ended up having to face, and it was not pretty, parents assumed i was boy racer in the mach 5 when i got pulled over tonight, says license and registration, this is the first time I’ve been pulled over so im kind of intimidated, takes it, I didn’t get to say anything, comes back over says do what the ticket says on back and walks away, I didn’t even get to explain anything or defend my self, all I got in was the sign says reduce ahead and he didn’t care and walked away, boy oh boy do I love Boston, the ONE time I drive in to Boston in 10 months I get my first ticket and a hefty one too…. $270!!!!! AHHH F***! That’s like 2000 miles worth of gas and a lot of other stuff, oh my god what a way to end a night, so unfair, he was pulling over the “Hot” cars only, as I pulled over a Mitsubishi evo 8 pulls behind, then a Honda accord two door with xenon’s like me, and then a Acura with xenon’s like me, but the Nissan sentra flys by and continues, on. The other cars that were with me were both white and one was a Pontiac sunfire the other, I don’t know. it just sucks a ton now because now i cant have anyone eles in the car and its being threatend to being taken off the road. honestly if i was speeding i would have been going alot faster than 57mph. .... so mad. because i was just driving, not racing or screwing around. oh and on the way back i kept to the speed limit to avoid further problems and all kinds of Mass-holes were being *******s, tons of people honked and gave me looks because i was driving the speed limit, and one honda comes driving like a complete jackass and is swerving in and out of the cars, including mine in the left lane and a jeep in the right ahead just enough so that the honda could squeeze through and continue driving like a A-hole. which he preceeded to swerve in and out of others after passing me. Now why did i get pulled over and he gets off scott free?.... sorry for the vent, kinda had to. i'll upload some pics from today when it was going good after.[/FONT]

Old 05-29-2008, 10:03 PM
peter314
5th Gear
holy sh*t only now that i posted it do i realize how much i wrote.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:22 PM
MBX5
4th Gear
Peter314 sorry to hear your story If it makes you feel better I also got a ticket the day after I picked my car up in NY. Driving back to CO in OH I'm doing 78 in a 65 and to top it off my radar detector was in the back seat because I had my Garmin GPS plugged in. I drove a VW Touareg for a few years before the mini never got a ticket and never did less than 15mph over the limit. My wife who was with me in OH said it's because I was in a more sporty car than the Touareg. The only plus for me was being out of state it's just a fine no points

Old 05-29-2008, 10:33 PM
sfomini
3rd Gear
Got home from Albuquerque tonight and had stuff to do so have *not* gone out for a drive! BUT I did go downstairs (underground garage) and longingly stare at my baby for a while (should have just gone for the drive).

Bill (Satsloader): nice to hear you got the car; I'm jealous about your drive in the santa cruz mtns. How is it up there, any smoke still there? Last weekend things were pretty bad, and since I've been out of town all week I haven't heard anything about the fire. And how was Katy? Did you get any freebies? I did not, but I suspect that's SOP in Mountain View, they don't have to give anything away.

Peter: very sad to hear about your ticket! I'm worried - are MINIs singled out by the police/state troopers? If that's the case I'm *really* going to be in trouble.

MiniBella: I just have to say again how much I love your car! Wow, it almost makes me wish I hadn't bought an S, just so I could have that color!

Steaming: thanks again for all your work keeping track of all of us. I for one appreciate it and I am sure many others do too.

I won't be driving far tomorrow but Saturday I plan to take a drive; I was planning on going to Stinson beach but Bill has me thinking I should do a Skyline/Route 9 thing instead. Hmm, maybe I could do one drive on Saturday and the other on Sunday! Then again, I have my huge new Zaino kit just waiting to be tried out. Sunday might be a good day to wash the wax off and try my hand at claying the car. I've never done that before.

Oh, one other thing, totally off topic, but what the heck. During the week when I'm in Albuquerque I rent a car. I usually get some small american car, or if lucky a Hyundai. This week they gave me a Mustang. Wow, that is the anti-MINI! What a disappointment. All I could think was "I could be driving my MINI."

Tony

PS: Have I said today how much I love the anthracite?!? It seems like a silly thing to be excited about, but it really looks nice.

Last edited by sfomini; 05-29-2008 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:49 PM
peter314
5th Gear
these are from maine.

Attached Thumbnails Week 16 Support Group-cimg2210.jpg   Week 16 Support Group-cimg2214.jpg   Week 16 Support Group-cimg2216.jpg  
Old 05-30-2008, 01:04 AM
steaming79
4th Gear
well....my triangular exclamation disappeared after i filled the tank up tonite at the local chevron. 13.448 gallons equaling to $59.70. my first ever premium fill up. as soon as i was driving off, i noticed the MINI was driving with alot more spirit. so much spirit i went faster than i should've, but LUCKILY i had my glasses on so i was able to see the parked police car 3 seconds ahead of time.

peter314... sucks to hear about your incident with the speed trap. my friends in boston was JUST telling me about their speeding tickets that they got over memorial day weekend. i guess your city is trying pick up some extra funds. moving on... those new photos are real nice to look at.

mbx5... sucks about your ticket too. but yeah...its amazing how much speed these cars have. i know if i don't pay attention i'll be 15-20 mph more than i was seconds ago.

sfomini... let us know how that zaino works out for you. i really was intending on getting the zaino, but i decided to try out the prima stuff i read about in the detailing forum.

and i'm glad my list is doing some good here. its not only to keep track of everyone's status, but also to lift spirits by seeing the little wings next to the names.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:31 AM
peter314
5th Gear
oh well, i just think its not fair, i honestly was not trying to drive fast or anything, i was just going with the flow of traffic, im gonna try not to think about it, but thats going to be kinda hard every time i open my wallet and see its empty, but thanks on the pics and everything eles everyone, i'll contiune posting pics of the car along my travels and sharing my storys, hopefully not any more involving tickets. but your completely right if you dont pay attention you'll be 15-20 more than you want to be, these things are seriously quick. i can only Imagine what a Veyron is like.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:03 AM
wendybryn
Neutral
FINALLY!

I have an appointment to pick her up on Monday afternoon!!

Sounds like I better watch my speed driving home!

Old 05-30-2008, 10:36 AM
MiniBella
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Satsloader

Me too, I was ( and still am ) wondering what that was indicating, as I only have 129 miles on the vehicle. I thought it might have something to do with the fact that I'm also getting the tire low indicator when I install the FOB. It came on when the M.A. powered up the vehicle while giving me operator instructions, and his comment was "Hmmm, I wonder why that's on"? It quickly went off, and so he didn't seem to think it was anything. I'm now thinking the air pressure calibration, if there is such a thing, is off, as the tires look OK. I'll do a check of each tire with my gauge just to be sure though.. Any thoughts folks?

Bill in P.G.
Same here. Have been wondering if has to do with initializing the on board computer settings. But haven't had time to go through them yet. Hopefully later today... if not today it will be tomorrow. Will report back my findings.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:42 AM
sfomini
3rd Gear
Speaking of speeding:

In Albuquerque they installed "red light" cameras a while back (in the past couple years, I think). This week my colleague told me that last weekend he returned home to a speeding ticket in the mail. Apparently they are now tracking speed by camera, not just red light runners. Another colleague there also got a ticket this week by mail. Ugh, feels very much like "big brother" to me. Almost enough to make me change my political philosophy from liberal to libertarian.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:56 AM
MiniBella
4th Gear
Thanks sfomini! If I had gotten an S it probably would have been DS.

Peter & MBX5... sorry to hear about your tickets. Been through similar Peter sucks when you are intending to do the right thing only are not slowing fast enough.

Steaming79... good to hear that the "triangle !" went off. Look forward to my first fill up!

It is easy to drive fast... even in my JustaCooper. Just don't feel the speed as much as I did in my last car. I guess the plate I'm getting was a good choice... "WHOOOSH".

Old 05-30-2008, 11:06 AM
peter314
5th Gear
hey Minibella, the name is fitting for that it is a Beautiful Mini, congrats to you and everyone else in the thread On the Subject of the Tire pressure moniter, i had the same thing and i called my MA and he said just to go into the computer and reset it under the screen that shows the tire and says "Active (or) Reset" i did and now its fine, it showed the icon in the speedo for a sec but then it went away. and as for the red light cameras, god dang it, technology will be the end of us, it very much the case of big brother now these days.....rrr

Old 05-30-2008, 11:13 AM
peter314
5th Gear
I knew it! it wasnt just me, but in the mini you just dont realize the speed your going unless your really moving, like last night i didnt think i was going that fast, i had to drive my sister jeep liberty before this and you knew how fast you were going because of the weight, in this its so light its unapparent, its good to know im not the only one who thought that. maybe if i can get - and this is going to sound weird- my father to drive the car, yes i know, who wouldnt want to drive one? maybe he'd understand what happened last night and see it more from my side.

Last edited by peter314; 05-30-2008 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:13 PM
steaming79
4th Gear
wow...this car is sooo much fun.

now that my gear shifting is finally smooth and i'm no longer stalling.
add the fact the MINI is now running 91 octane...i wouldn't be surprised if i join the speeding ticket club soon. well...i hope not, but at least i would be in good company if i were to. haha.

in the meanwhile.... i can't wait to hear from the rest of you still awaiting pick up. i'm so excited for you guys!!!

Old 05-30-2008, 03:54 PM
SeattleMini
1st Gear
Lost in the VDC

So I called my MA, but he wasn't there. The woman who answered the phone was able to verify that my MINIs still at the "final processing center." I asked her if there was an estimation for delivery and she said in 2 weeks?!

I'm hoping she just didn't have enough details and was being very safe with her estimate, but I'm getting suspicious...

Quick Reply: Week 16 Support Group