1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 16 Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 08:08 AM
hcubed
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got around to taking some pictures

I finally got around to taking some pictures this morning on the way into work. The back drop - the Pacific Ocean at Torrey Pines here in San Diego. It is really amazing the number of people that are checking out the new Clubman both on the road and up close and personal!

On the way back from dinner Saturday night, we drove back through town on a road that goes from two lanes to one and then makes a 90° left. We were being followed by a Honda with two teenagers. I drifted a bit to the right and then accelerated hard into the left hand turn. My oldest son looked back and said the kids in the Honda had just a blank look of awe on their faces. Got to love the MINI!

Attached Thumbnails Week 16 Support Group-img_0664.jpg   Week 16 Support Group-img_0663.jpg   Week 16 Support Group-img_0667.jpg  
Old 06-02-2008, 02:02 PM
steaming79
4th Gear
nice shots of the clubman oceanside, hcubed! pretty cool about the positive attention you're getting. magic of the MINI....

Old 06-03-2008, 09:13 AM
wendybryn
Neutral
I picked up Stella last night!!! So cute! I got just about every bell and whistle but the nav system. Getting the hang of all the convenience features will probably take forever.

My delight was slightly tempered by our classic Oregon rain, but had so much fun driving around. I also have my tire indicator warnings going off, but now I know how to fix it!

Planning a trip to the Oregon coast later this week, which should be great fun.

Attached Thumbnails Week 16 Support Group-newtoys004.jpg   Week 16 Support Group-newtoys005.jpg   Week 16 Support Group-newtoys007.jpg  
Old 06-03-2008, 01:25 PM
steaming79
4th Gear
UPDATE for TURANDOT

STELLAAAAAAAA! congrats on picking up stella, wendybryn. the MINI is a beaut! i think i finally figured out how to use the keyless entry buttons properly myself.

EAST
coasters Group A // INTEGRITY // DEPARTED 04/19/08 // ARRIVED 04/27/08:
-cutters68
-filet0fish
-jkling17
-majorbill11
-MBX5
-peter314
-rockhouse
-ShaggyMike
-subdude

EAST coasters Group B // ELEKTRA // DEPARTED 04/23/08 // ARRIVED 05/02/08:
-fenwayscout (Honorary 16'er)
-sottili

EAST coasters Group C // WESTERN HIGHWAY // DEPARTED 04/21/08 // ARRIVED 05/01/08:
-JLL319

MIDWESTERN & SOUTH CENTRAL coasters // INDEPENDENCE II // DEPARTED 04/26/08 // ARRIVED 05/11/08:
-badzboy11
-chaoticx6
-danhen
-Doogs
-kevnallen
-lenhart05
-MiniBella

WEST
coasters Group A // ABOARD TURANDOT // DEPARTED 04/28/08 // ARRIVED 05/19/08:
-Altruego
-bd_stance
-Btwyx
-dlaw255
-eron
-hcubed (Honorary 16'er)
-Magpie
-paradigm_crash
-Satsloader
-SeattleMini
-sfomini
-steaming79
-SteveJ
-wendybryn

WEST coasters Group B // ABOARD FALSTAFF // DEPARTED 05/09/08 // ARRIVED 05/28/08:
-booyun

Old 06-03-2008, 02:54 PM
booyun
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So its just me and Magpie left? Hmm..thats funny..we both ordered from the same dealership (South Bay) although we were on different boats. Magpie, any word from them? I would have figured you would have picked yours up already, no? I hope to be picking mine up sometime this week!

Oh, and does anyone know how long it takes for the check to arrive from PenFed? I signed up about a week ago, called back yesterday and they said they needed to see 'exactly' how much I wanted to borrow so I told them and they said they would send it out the same day. I chose standard delivery so hopefully 3 or 4 days?

Old 06-03-2008, 04:10 PM
steaming79
4th Gear
Originally Posted by booyun
Oh, and does anyone know how long it takes for the check to arrive from PenFed? I signed up about a week ago, called back yesterday and they said they needed to see 'exactly' how much I wanted to borrow so I told them and they said they would send it out the same day. I chose standard delivery so hopefully 3 or 4 days?
wow. you should've gotten it by now. its like 3-5 business days.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:40 PM
Altruego
1st Gear
Originally Posted by wendybryn
I picked up Stella last night!!! So cute! I got just about every bell and whistle but the nav system. Getting the hang of all the convenience features will probably take forever.

My delight was slightly tempered by our classic Oregon rain, but had so much fun driving around. I also have my tire indicator warnings going off, but now I know how to fix it!

Planning a trip to the Oregon coast later this week, which should be great fun.
That's a cute MINI!!!! My new MINI got rained on to. I thought of it as christening.

I'm surprised at how quickly I'm adjusting to the convenience package. In a couple more days I will be wondering how I ever lived without it!

Old 06-04-2008, 12:53 AM
steaming79
4th Gear
so..... the alarm system is loud on the MINI. like REALLY loud. so that should give a peace of mind to those who got that option.

but how is it that i came to find this out? well....

i have the keyless access option for my car. and i've been doing things exactly the way i have been since the 23rd of last month. i hold (or push) the button on the handle to unlock it AND disarm the alarm. and when i get out i push the button on the handle again to lock it AND arm the alarm.

about 30 mins ago i left my gf's house and walked towards my car. i went to unlock my car like stated above and the alarm went off. i freaked out because the sirens is quite ear piercing. i pretty much woke up the whole block since its like midnite. i tried pushing the unlock button on the keyfob to deactivate the alarm, but it didn't do anything. same thing with the other buttons on the fob. it finally went off about 20-30 secs after. maybe it finally registered a button press or something.

anyways...needless to say...when i got in, i immediately buckled up and got the hell out of dodge. and when i finally got home, i decided not to mess with the keyless access button on the handle and just chose to lock it using the lock button on the fob.

weird. thats like the 2nd electronic related incident i've had.

the 1st is something i never bothered to mention. it has to do with the sunroof. seems that when it gets hot (if the sunroof is cracked open diagonally) when i push the toggle to close it, after it closes it reopens. it doesn't bother me too much, though it really shouldn't do that to begin with.

i just really hope that alarm crap doesn't happen again.

and a non-electrical thingy that bothered me today: the seat was squeaking like there was metal rubbing against metal. i think i fix it after fully moving the seat forwards, backwards, up, & down. and reseating all the wires underneath the seat.

anyways....thats all. just wanted to give you guys a heads up. also see if anyone from this thread noticed anything similar or new that hasn't been brought up yet. i guess i'll go search the forums and see if anyone else encounter my same "issues".

Old 06-04-2008, 09:44 AM
MiniBella
4th Gear
Your new Minis look gorgeous Btwyx & hcubed! Lovin' the DS Btwyx!!

Great to hear you will be getting your Mini soon Booyun!

Steaming79... Alarm in the middle of the night. Bummer! I have had the sunroof bounce back too. I find it helps to touch the toggle lightly and to let go before it finishes closing. Not sure if that will help but it seems to work for me.

On another note I decided to order the bottom of the door seals from Pelican Parts. The part number is 51767146093. Mini used to install them on the R56 but deleted them last fall... trying to save a few pennies I guess. When I washed my Mini I found that I had water on the door sill so did a search and found out that a seal could be added to take care of that. Seeing as they are only 15 bucks seemed like a good idea.

Image on Real OEM. It's part number 5.

Last edited by MiniBella; 06-04-2008 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:52 AM
steaming79
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniBella
On another note I decided to order the bottom of the door seals from Pelican Parts. The part number is 51767146093. Mini used to install them on the R56 but deleted them last fall... trying to save a few pennies I guess. When I washed my Mini I found that I had water on the door sill so did a search and found out that a seal could be added to take care of that. Seeing as they are only 15 bucks seemed like a good idea.

Image on Real OEM. It's part number 5.

ooooh. nice find, minibella.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:24 PM
booyun
2nd Gear
Great News! I'm about to pick up my MINI!! I scheduled it for tomorrow, but I need my PenFed check to come in!!! ARRGGGHH! I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will be in the mail today (or tomorrow at the latest) since I'll be coming home first!!

Old 06-05-2008, 09:17 AM
Satsloader
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Steamy,

The door lock/Sunroof problem is a known issue with Mini. Make an appointment with your dealer, it's a quick fix..

Bill in P.G.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:33 PM
steaming79
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Satsloader
Hey Steamy,

The door lock/Sunroof problem is a known issue with Mini. Make an appointment with your dealer, it's a quick fix..

Bill in P.G.
thanks. i just sent an e-Mail to my guy. i'm very interested to see what the responses will be for the four points.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:48 PM
danhen
1st Gear
Reached 1200 miles tonight. Break-in is over!!! I don't think I'll ever grow tired of this car. I'm amazed at how smoothly and effortlessly I can get up to speeds that would get me into tickets/fines that would require me to get a second job to pay.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:25 AM
steaming79
4th Gear
congrats on the break in, danhen. must be nice to rev past 4500 and other stuff....

i'm halfway there. tonight i just filled the tank up for the 2nd time. $64.36.
i'm getting about 400'ish miles a tank the way i drive. so thats like 28 mpg.
i fill up with one notch left on the gas meter and the OBC says i have 20 miles left to go before trouble.

MINI running on premium sure is fun though!

Last edited by steaming79; 06-06-2008 at 02:40 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:01 AM
booyun
2nd Gear
steaming....I'M READY FOR MY WINGS!!!!

Officially picked up my MINI last night and lets just say that I got about 4 hours of sleep last night... I seriously woke up a couple times last night pretty tempted to walk out to my garage and just sit in my MINI (or maybe sleep in it??) in fact, I normally get up around 7am dead tired, but here I am typing on my laptop all energized at 6am!! (I could have easily gotten up at 5am but I was TRYING to fall back asleep).

WOW, I cannot describe how great it feels to be finally united w/ my MINI. The wait was long...but WELL WORTH IT!! The car drives like a beauty!!!! I cannot wait to get on the road today!

So luckily my PenFed check came in yesterday (just in time!) and everything at the dealership went smoothly... I felt bad keeping my MA stuck at the dealership late last night (he probably wanted to leave so that he could watch the Lakers game! eehh..Lakers lost, so he didn't miss much)... I ended up declining all the extras (warranties, tire protection, etc).. I hope that was the right decision! Well, at least I know for extended warranty, my auto insurance (Geico) covers up to 7 years!

Anyways, I think I am offiically the last production week 16'er to pick up my MINI? At least I HOPE everyone else has picked theres up! CONGRATS TO ALL!!!

Pics to come...

Old 06-06-2008, 10:17 AM
steaming79
4th Gear
UPDATE for FALSTAFF

booyun... there's your wings.
congrats on the pick up! wow. you actually contemplated sleeping in the car. would've been nothing wrong with that. you just might've OD'd on 'new car smell'. we can't wait to see those pictures. have fun cruising around in the new MINI!
okay....looks like i need to start finding out what happened to the remaining four:
chaoticx6?... (PM'd)
kevnallen?... (picked-up, but never notified the thread)
Magpie?... (PM'd)
SeattleMini?... (PM'd)

EAST
coasters Group A // INTEGRITY // DEPARTED 04/19/08 // ARRIVED 04/27/08:
-cutters68
-filet0fish
-jkling17
-majorbill11
-MBX5
-peter314
-rockhouse
-ShaggyMike
-subdude

EAST coasters Group B // ELEKTRA // DEPARTED 04/23/08 // ARRIVED 05/02/08:
-fenwayscout (Honorary 16'er)
-sottili

EAST coasters Group C // WESTERN HIGHWAY // DEPARTED 04/21/08 // ARRIVED 05/01/08:
-JLL319

MIDWESTERN & SOUTH CENTRAL coasters // INDEPENDENCE II // DEPARTED 04/26/08 // ARRIVED 05/11/08:
-badzboy11
-chaoticx6
-danhen
-Doogs
-kevnallen
-lenhart05
-MiniBella

WEST
coasters Group A // ABOARD TURANDOT // DEPARTED 04/28/08 // ARRIVED 05/19/08:
-Altruego
-bd_stance
-Btwyx
-dlaw255
-eron
-hcubed (Honorary 16'er)
-Magpie
-paradigm_crash
-Satsloader
-SeattleMini
-sfomini
-steaming79
-SteveJ
-wendybryn

WEST coasters Group B // ABOARD FALSTAFF // DEPARTED 05/09/08 // ARRIVED 05/28/08:
-booyun

Last edited by steaming79; 06-06-2008 at 10:35 AM. Reason: snooped around and found some people's status
Old 06-06-2008, 10:20 AM
MiniBella
4th Gear
Congrats booyun!! Look forward to seeing those pics!

Have fun getting acquainted!

Old 06-06-2008, 10:31 AM
badzboy11
1st Gear
My break in is finally done. Went through three tanks know. First tank was 39.5mpg, second tank was 43mpg and third tank was 37mpg. All checked with calculator. I am really impressed with this car as is my wife. Lots of people stop and ask questions and want to check it out. My wife went to her doctors appoinment and they seen her pull in. Well before they started her appoinment all of the nurses and doctor wanted to check out the car. I am so glad we bought this.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:08 AM
steaming79
4th Gear
Originally Posted by badzboy11
First tank was 39.5mpg, second tank was 43mpg and third tank was 37mpg. All checked with calculator.
golly! those are some great numbers. i'm only getting around 28mpg (city/stop & go driving). i must be doing something wrong....

Old 06-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Satsloader
2nd Gear
28mpg with your foot in it for an MCS sounds right to me during break-in. The difference between the MCS and MC seems about 5 mpg when driving with authority, as I got 33.97 mpg on my first tank, using calculator, my MC computer said 34.1 mpg ( continuous accelerating/decelerating for the duration of the 10+ gallons ), 2nd tank was 37.5 mpg ( computer said 36.2 ), some freeway miles, but maintaining healthy accelerating/decelerating.

I find the computer takes a long term sample/average, thus a major change in driving style from one tank to the next wont be reflected quickly in the display.

Bill in P.G.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:44 PM
danhen
1st Gear
I'm getting 31.5 according to OBC, but have been driving it pretty hard. If I were careful, I think I'd be pushing 40 mpg.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:28 PM
sfomini
3rd Gear
I'm with you steaming, still getting 28 MPG. A lot of highway driving, but I am not "easy" on the car. I know gradually increasing to a legal speed is the best thing for MPG, but it is so much fun to rev it when getting on the freeway - it really takes off. I am still keeping it under 4500 RPM, but I won't be for long; about 200 miles to go.

Anyway, finally did drive up route 1 to stinson beach this morning. Traffic wasn't too bad (I expected worse for a sunday) but when I was about a half mile from Stinson beach the traffic stopped; turns out today of all days is the annual "dipsea" run; (a grueling run through the mountains, a race you have to qualify for). I sat in traffic a while and then turned it around and drove back the same way. The way back was painful: first behind someone clueless who would not pull into the turnouts - finally passed him and then two bicyclists were in front of me and they would NOT ride on the side of the road, and there was no way to pass without risking a head collision (lots of curves); it made the drive back less fun, but overall it was great. Now I've got to do it on a weekday.

Congrats Booyun - great to hear you got your car at last. I know what you mean about wanting to sleep in the car!

Tony

Old 06-08-2008, 07:08 PM
Satsloader
2nd Gear
SFO,

Sorry you got stuck in the Dipsea crowd.. I did that race many moons ago, and it was crowded then.

I took my Mini on a three day camping trip last week, drove Hwy 1 from Monterey to SF, stayed in Guerneyville the first night, then headed west to the coast the next morning. I think my favorite drive of all is that stretch on Hwy 1 up to Ft. Bragg, especially since it wasn't foggy, and being a weekday I got to motor well! North of Ft. Bragg I saw a road heading east with a sign warning against large vehicles or trailers, man am I glad I took it. The pavement was in good shape, and I didn't see a single vehicle in either direction on it. Real nice winder's! It ended a mile north of Boonville. I headed up to Hendy Woods state park for the 2nd evening, and headed home the next day. Absolutely beautiful!

Bill in P.G.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:32 PM
SeattleMini
1st Gear
Sorry for disappearing, I picked up my MINI on Wednesday! Northwest mini is great, they had my mini in the showroom and did a nice unveiling of it for me. AND they didn't drill in the front plates.

I'm about 3/4 tank in and i'm getting 28.4 mpg. So far, I love it. Its so much fun! I'll post pictures later... if it ever stop raining long enough to take my camera outside.

Sorry for the delay in the update!

Quick Reply: Week 16 Support Group