1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member from Texas

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 10:51 AM
noraa
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hello, from houston texas!

Old 03-30-2008, 01:41 PM
Quesera
5th Gear
I'm enjoying an interesting Shiner Helles lager right now (Munich style it says), part of their Countdown to 100 years commemorative brew series. I think I'm actually more partial to Bock and Blond, but beer I'm learning, is a young man's drink. Must be the carbs. Anyway, we now return you to your regularly scheduled MINI thread.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:29 PM
mom2jmg
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Fig Faun
Whoop! is from the wildcats each class says after the cheerleaders lead a yell during a sporting event. Each class (freshmen, softmore, junior, senior) has a different wildcat, and it's considered bad form to do a wildcat for a class higher than your own (and in the case of those in the Corps of Cadets, doing so can earn you a punishment in the form of push-ups.)

Juniors are the first class allowed to use the "Whoop!" (though it has to be preceeded by yelling "Ai!" three times. Seniors can use the Whoop at will.

There are a lot of silly traditions like that at A&M, but it really does do its job in creating a huge sense of school pride (quite a feat for a state known for its overwhelming state pride.)

I went to A&M my first year in college, and then "turned traitor" and transferred to UT Austin.
Good explaination with one mistake, they are yell leaders not cheerleaders. A&M and t.u. are both good schools, A&M has more of tradition behind it.