1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All Aboard the Western Highway Departed 3/22/08

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 12:22 PM
CarolinaCooper
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3DogDepot
In a matter of minutes Western Highway will be in the "USS Yorktown view" on the real-time web cam site. We will try to capture images. She's within site now, almost at the Charleston Union Pier !!!
Excellent! 3Dog, please pass along the Web cam site url ... My ship will be there on 4/10, and I'd like to see her come through ....

Thanks!

Old 04-05-2008, 12:41 PM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Carolina Cooper, look here:
http://www.charlestonscrealestate.us/

Refer to my post #19 above to navigate to your particular pier. Best of Luck!

Ours is still on the way in, moving a little slow.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:53 PM
harold47
3rd Gear
can't find the website

Old 04-05-2008, 01:05 PM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by harold47
can't find the website
Link is working fine. If you don't have Java, you can't see camera. Husband recommends using Firefox as browser instead of Internet Explorer.

You can see the stills we've captured so far by looking in my Gallery.

Last edited by 3DogDepot; 04-05-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:16 PM
harold47
3rd Gear
Thanks!

Old 04-05-2008, 09:18 PM
harold47
3rd Gear
when do they go in to and leave the VDC?

Old 04-05-2008, 10:16 PM
boostednorm
3rd Gear
I have my doubts they work on Sunday, so, my guess is Monday. I've read it's usually there about 2 days, then off to your dealer to finish adding any accessories you've asked for from them.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:24 PM
boostednorm
3rd Gear
Here's a night shot of what we believe is the Western Highway docked:

Old 04-06-2008, 03:47 AM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Port of Charleston finally updated and shows Western Highway as currently docked. Officially arrived a 3:50PM yesterday; Work Start Time: 7:00PM. Now get 'em off that ship, onto a truck and rolling toward a dealer near you! Getting closer...

Old 04-06-2008, 05:40 AM
boostednorm
3rd Gear
I have read of some owners getting their MINI's thru VDC in a day. So, best case for me would be at the dealers by Thursday, ready for pickup on the 11th. Worst case, Monday the 13th or later.

Has anyone already purchased aftermarket do dads yet?

I have the nuvi 660 to transfer to it from my other car so I bought the kuda mount and bracket and other items needed for assembly. I had forgotten to buy the bracket and the seller calls me up and asks if that was a mistake and suggests the correct one for me and sends it out, free shipping. I thought that was really nice and a very good business practice. I'll order from him again. I just got all the parts in and I must say the mount is of very high quality and I've been told will match great with our interior.

Also bought the LightInSight vinyl to help with seeing street lights.

I've purchased an assortment of Prima detailing merchandice.

Next up are the pulsing 3rd brake light and/or brake light working with rear fogs modification. I'm curious if I can have both so I'd end up with 5 brake lights... one that strobed, two that were extra bright since they are typically fog lights and the 2 regular ones. That might be too much... that's why I'm still thinking about it.

Anyone have other plans for their MINI?

Old 04-06-2008, 07:52 AM
CarolinaCooper
4th Gear
Wow! If that comes true, you'd have your baby within 5 weeks! Superb!

Charleston to the Greer plant/VDC is 4 or 4 1/2 hours NNW by car. Longer by train, IF they go by train, but I believe they do (I see lots of cars on rail coming through Columbia from Charleston) .... My MA, who is in Charlotte, NC (1 1/2 hours E from Greer) told me to plan on a couple of days at the VDC, and 10+ days from docking in Charleston to pickup after dealer prep.

I told her forget the wait! I'm in Columbia (between Charleston and Greer), and I plan on hijacking my car when I see it come through. I will camp out along the RR track, binoculars in hand ...

Old 04-06-2008, 08:00 AM
harold47
3rd Gear
have a box of Zaino stuff and new towels, mini antenna

Old 04-06-2008, 09:01 AM
boostednorm
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by harold47
have a box of Zaino stuff and new towels, mini antenna
Oh yeah.. I forgot I ordered one of those 2in mini MINI antenna's.

I'd like to get a graphic for the top to place on the sun roof but until I check it out myself on a sunny day, I don't really know how bad it might be. I might just tint it along with the windows.

I thought of putting on side stripes too. I like the ones that have "Cooper S" written with the porsche font. But again I need to see the car up close for awhile to determine if that would be too gaudy.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:05 AM
boostednorm
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by CarolinaCooper
Wow! If that comes true, you'd have your baby within 5 weeks! Superb!

Charleston to the Greer plant/VDC is 4 or 4 1/2 hours NNW by car. Longer by train, IF they go by train, but I believe they do (I see lots of cars on rail coming through Columbia from Charleston) .... My MA, who is in Charlotte, NC (1 1/2 hours E from Greer) told me to plan on a couple of days at the VDC, and 10+ days from docking in Charleston to pickup after dealer prep.

I told her forget the wait! I'm in Columbia (between Charleston and Greer), and I plan on hijacking my car when I see it come through. I will camp out along the RR track, binoculars in hand ...
Okay.. you win the MMMOAD reward... "Most Militant MINI Owner Awaiting Delivery".

10 days.. ewwww.. that would put me out to the 15th!!! ugh.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:40 PM
CarolinaCooper
4th Gear
Ha-ha! You're proabably right!

I'm hoping it won't take that long, BUT, I'm looking at close to 9 weeks from order date to take delivery at this point .... Murphy's Law has applied so far. Your baby may make its way to you sooner ... (fingers crossed)!

Old 04-06-2008, 07:40 PM
boostednorm
3rd Gear
Total time should be quicker for me but you should take delivery before me since you live so close to the VDC... and because of you stalking the railways.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:53 AM
boostednorm
3rd Gear
Well, according to the Port of Charleston Vessel Report, Western Highway has moved on from Charleston. That means are cars are unloaded and either on their way to the VDC or already there. OL of course still shows them as being Enroute and will probably won't change until our vehicles are already at the dealer and then only to state they are at the VDC.

Wonder how CarolinaCooper is doing stalking the railways?

Old 04-07-2008, 10:02 AM
CarolinaCooper
4th Gear
Not too well ... I took the long way to work this morning ... crossed RR tracks at 3 locations, all spanning to/from the main rail yard. Yeah, right. Like, what are the odds? Probably as high as picking a lottery ticket off the street.

Oh, well. Will keep up the vigil. At least it's something to occupy my mind while we wait ...

Old 04-07-2008, 10:45 AM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by boostednorm
Oh yeah.. I forgot I ordered one of those 2in mini MINI antenna's.

I'd like to get a graphic for the top to place on the sun roof but until I check it out myself on a sunny day, I don't really know how bad it might be. I might just tint it along with the windows.

I thought of putting on side stripes too. I like the ones that have "Cooper S" written with the porsche font. But again I need to see the car up close for awhile to determine if that would be too gaudy.
Someone please tell me about this mini MINI antenna (including where's the best place to buy it if I need one); seems a lot of people are getting them. What's wrong with the stock one?

We recently bought a Nuvi 650 and are looking for some kind of mount other than the windshield suction cup which always seems to leave a mark; may try it on the center speedometer face if we can avoid marring the clear plastic (maybe try one of those GPS glare guard/screen protectors between the suction cup and the speedo plastic?). None of the other mounts so far seem to appeal to my husband.

One thing I've seen so far that looks definitely useful (without actually having the car yet), is a set of "easy-pull straps" for the rear seats. But even for those, I think I'll wait 'til I get it to see if it's necessary. I've had a habit of buying stuff I just "had to have" for a new vehicle, only to find I didn't really use or need it after I got the car. I'm also waiting 'til after delivery on the sun roof graphic assessment; still not sure what the best way to block out the sun will be.

Already have all my detailing supplies since I've been fanatical about maintaining my Miata for the last several years and now there will be two extra-special babies to care for.

BTW, anybody got any recent tracking info. now that Western Highway has left port? I just called "Ask MINI" and the automated voice says "In Transit" - duh, no help there!

Old 04-07-2008, 01:06 PM
boostednorm
3rd Gear
Someone please tell me about this mini MINI antenna (including where's the best place to buy it if I need one); seems a lot of people are getting them. What's wrong with the stock one?

We recently bought a Nuvi 650 and are looking for some kind of mount other than the windshield suction cup which always seems to leave a mark; may try it on the center speedometer face if we can avoid marring the clear plastic (maybe try one of those GPS glare guard/screen protectors between the suction cup and the speedo plastic?). None of the other mounts so far seem to appeal to my husband.

One thing I've seen so far that looks definitely useful (without actually having the car yet), is a set of "easy-pull straps" for the rear seats. But even for those, I think I'll wait 'til I get it to see if it's necessary. I've had a habit of buying stuff I just "had to have" for a new vehicle, only to find I didn't really use or need it after I got the car. I'm also waiting 'til after delivery on the sun roof graphic assessment; still not sure what the best way to block out the sun will be.

Already have all my detailing supplies since I've been fanatical about maintaining my Miata for the last several years and now there will be two extra-special babies to care for.

BTW, anybody got any recent tracking info. now that Western Highway has left port? I just called "Ask MINI" and the automated voice says "In Transit" - duh, no help there!
The antenna that comes with our MINI's works fine. It's just that it gives the car a "Radio Controlled" look to it. The smaller ones, which come in 4 in and 2 in varieties reportedly work just as well and helps to take away from the toy look of the car. Completely personal opinion. The NAM product review of the Craven Speed 4 and 2 inch versions can be found here:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ate/1109906780

The kuda mount I purchased was found while reading thru modifications done by an owner here on NAM. Complete parts list with where to buy them and instructions to install with pictures can be found here:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=111280

I took a few pictures of the mount with the nuvi attached on top of a small pillow to balance it here in my dining room. I've uploaded them to my gallery here:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...IMG_0048-1.jpg
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...IMG_0049-1.jpg
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...IMG_0050-1.jpg

I had the exact same feeling about those straps as you did. Maybe I need them, maybe I don't. We'll see how often I even put the seats down.

As far as tracking our cars now... I don't think there's anything other than calling your MA and asking what they think is the estimated delivery date. They will give you their best educated guess. Probably a window of 5 to 10 days.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:21 PM
boostednorm
3rd Gear
Oh, I just got my cravenSpeed 2 inch antenna...! So cute! Beautiful piece of machined metal.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:38 PM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by boostednorm
Oh, I just got my cravenSpeed 2 inch antenna...! So cute! Beautiful piece of machined metal.
Please post pix once it's in place on Bruiser! Thanks for all the links; more stuff to think about. Good to have it sorted out and know where to get things.

Called MA and he was busy selling a car, but got word that our Clubman is at the VDC today. Guess things are moving right along; Wednesday delivery may be too optimistic, hopefully by Thursday (fingers crossed)?

Old 04-07-2008, 03:57 PM
harold47
3rd Gear
Please post pix once it's in place on Bruiser! Thanks for all the links; more stuff to think about. Good to have it sorted out and know where to get things.

Called MA and he was busy selling a car, but got word that our Clubman is at the VDC today. Guess things are moving right along; Wednesday delivery may be too optimistic, hopefully by Thursday (fingers crossed)?
Wow. VDC to Orlandoin 3 days. Guess I'll see mine in 4?

Old 04-07-2008, 09:27 PM
boostednorm
3rd Gear
All depends on how long they keep it at the VDC then how long it takes to ship it to your dealer. I'm hoping for a day at VDC and 2 days to truck it up to Minnesota. Then a day for dealer prep. I'm being very optimistic but it's possible that I get mine on Friday.

Oh, I just thought... since we aren't on the ship anymore.. we should be posting in the Week 12 Thread! See you all over there!