1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All Aboard the ISOLDE

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 08:12 AM
frupp
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On day 2 with MINI and loving every minute of it. I got the integrated garage door opener setup last night, I didn't even know I had a 'rolling' pass code system. Not hard to setup once you figure that out. The AUTO air conditioner is flippin awesome. Living in AZ you'd be surprised that it can get too cold in the cabin in some instances, the MINI's A/C control is perfect. I posted some pics from when it picked it from the dealer on Wednesday. Looking forward to seeing everyone elses too.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:30 AM
()()==
2nd Gear
Enjoy a full weekend with your new rides, all! I'm starting to get a little excited about picking mine up next week.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:43 AM
ropyro
Neutral
So, sometime yesterday while I was working, AZ nature offered up some dirty rain for my 2 day old Clubman. Normally this wouldn't be a problem for me but my wife has been out of town all week and had not yet seen my new car. I was to pick her up from the airport last night and I wanted the car to look new for her so I took the car to a car wash. I told the guy working there that all I wanted was a rinse and a vacuum since the car is brand new. He asked me if I wanted any scent sprayed on the inside or other extra services and I reiterated my simple request. So, I'm watching and waiting while a man dries my car eagerly anticipating my car looking shiney and new when the man reaches for a bottle of the worst smelling ***** excuse for a car scent and, before I could stop him, sprays down the interior of my car. So much for the new car smell. Now my car smells like some cheap pimp cologne.

Otherwise, this car is awesome!

Old 05-16-2008, 09:08 AM
MissConduct
Neutral
I'm picking up my new mini tomorrow morning. I can hardly wait!!!

Old 05-16-2008, 09:24 AM
aem
1st Gear
I have a big problem. The car is for my wife. We picked it up Tuesday night. She went out of town yesterday and won't be back until Sunday. Here is my problem. I have been driving it since yesterday and I DON'T WANT TO GIVE IT BACK! HAHA! I love this car. It is so much more fun to drive than my under powered Mazda 3. Would I be sleeping on the couch for the rest of my life if I take back this 1 year wedding anniversary present?!

Old 05-16-2008, 09:45 AM
frupp
1st Gear
ha ha, that is a big problem. Our first anniversary is in July too. Curious, are going to give her the Title as the gift. They say the first year is Paper. Sorry to hear about the pimp Cologne ROPYRO. I am sure the MINI will over come it soon. I got a hit with some of the mud rain too. We fortunately have covered parking here, but it came in sideways and got my hood. I need a portable car cover . Well worth the wait MissConduct. Eat dinner/lunch before you go. Mine took 4 hours with questions and financing inclusions. Suggestion to anyone with the MCS, they offer a tire warranty that I got and strongly suggest. I had researched Discount Tires insurance on wheels and its a little cheaper but the one at the dealer covers the tire and rim and at least 4 claims on tires and I think 4 on the rims too. Could save you thousands because the run flats can't be repaired when punctured. The repairs can be done anywhere (including Discount Tire), you don't have to go to the dealer. They average $300 or so and $1000 with standard rim if it gets damaged. Piece of mind.

Last edited by frupp; 05-16-2008 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:46 AM
aem
1st Gear
Frupp, did they include floor mats for your MINI?

Old 05-16-2008, 09:55 AM
frupp
1st Gear
No, had to buy them, $100. They are nice though. Regular black cloth but there is a reflective cording around the outside that spruce them up a bit. I only got front and back, not the boot.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:19 AM
cloud10
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ropyro
So, sometime yesterday while I was working, AZ nature offered up some dirty rain for my 2 day old Clubman. Normally this wouldn't be a problem for me but my wife has been out of town all week and had not yet seen my new car. I was to pick her up from the airport last night and I wanted the car to look new for her so I took the car to a car wash. I told the guy working there that all I wanted was a rinse and a vacuum since the car is brand new. He asked me if I wanted any scent sprayed on the inside or other extra services and I reiterated my simple request. So, I'm watching and waiting while a man dries my car eagerly anticipating my car looking shiney and new when the man reaches for a bottle of the worst smelling ***** excuse for a car scent and, before I could stop him, sprays down the interior of my car. So much for the new car smell. Now my car smells like some cheap pimp cologne.

If I were you I would pick up a bottle of Odor Blaster from Natural Magic. It will eliminate odors of all kinds, even cat pee and skunk. You can get it in unscented. I found it at True Value, but I've seen it other places. It is amazing stuff.
I'm allergic to perfumes and scents and this stuff is fantastic. If that person had sprayed my car down I would have taken some sort of action as perfumes bother my asthma. Was exposed to carbon tet fumes years ago and it ruined me for life.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:21 AM
cloud10
4th Gear
Originally Posted by frupp
No, had to buy them, $100. They are nice though. Regular black cloth but there is a reflective cording around the outside that spruce them up a bit. I only got front and back, not the boot.
Some time when you have some extra cash check out the Cocoa Mats. There is a thread on NAM about them.
After waiting over 2 years for my Clubby from N. Scottsdale, they still didn't throw in mats or anything else, so I ordered red and black cocoa mats for my CR/B Otto. They are fantastic mats and will hold up forever. I haven't read a lot of good comments on longevity of the MINI mats.

Congrats on getting your baby! Looks great!

Old 05-16-2008, 12:38 PM
MissConduct
Neutral
ha ha, that is a big problem. Our first anniversary is in July too. Curious, are going to give her the Title as the gift. They say the first year is Paper. Sorry to hear about the pimp Cologne ROPYRO. I am sure the MINI will over come it soon. I got a hit with some of the mud rain too. We fortunately have covered parking here, but it came in sideways and got my hood. I need a portable car cover . Well worth the wait MissConduct. Eat dinner/lunch before you go. Mine took 4 hours with questions and financing inclusions. Suggestion to anyone with the MCS, they offer a tire warranty that I got and strongly suggest. I had researched Discount Tires insurance on wheels and its a little cheaper but the one at the dealer covers the tire and rim and at least 4 claims on tires and I think 4 on the rims too. Could save you thousands because the run flats can't be repaired when punctured. The repairs can be done anywhere (including Discount Tire), you don't have to go to the dealer. They average $300 or so and $1000 with standard rim if it gets damaged. Piece of mind.
4 Hours?! Wow, thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to bring a snack!

Old 05-16-2008, 01:11 PM
ropyro
Neutral
My pickup took around 2 hours -- still seemed like forever, though

cloud10 -- thanks for the tip! I'll definitely get some -- the smell is making me sick

Last edited by ropyro; 05-16-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:16 PM
()()==
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ropyro

On the bright side, you'll be driving your new Clubman tomorrow and the pimp scent guy will still be washing cars for a living.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:26 PM
ropyro
Neutral
Originally Posted by ()()==
On the bright side, you'll be driving your new Clubman tomorrow and the pimp scent guy will still be washing cars for a living.
Can't argue with that

Old 05-16-2008, 10:56 PM
drummergirl
2nd Gear
maybe he likes to play with water!

Old 05-17-2008, 04:54 PM
drummergirl
2nd Gear
Ok, so here is a pic of mine from when I took delivery. It isn't the greatest pic, but at least it's something. It is dirty all ready (at least more dirty than I will want for taking pics) and I am getting a phat sound system installed next week, so more pics by next weekend. By then I will have the windows tinted, and the car washed.

Attached Thumbnails All Aboard the ISOLDE-delivery.jpg  
Old 05-18-2008, 03:50 PM
frupp
1st Gear
So what is everyone averaging for gas milage. I picked mine up a 5 days ago and 222 miles. I am getting about 34 mpg so far. I'm happy. My goal is 40 at some point. Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend of motoring.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:58 PM
MINISV
1st Gear
I still do not get my Mini clubman until Friday, Next week!!!! Thanks for sharing all your experiences.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:09 PM
helloimpaul
1st Gear
heey drummergirl, your baby looks good!

Old 05-20-2008, 06:46 PM
()()==
2nd Gear
FINALLY! I'm picking up WIKIMINI tomorrow afternoon! I'm starting to get excited again after a week of looking at your pics. I'll bring my camera.

Unfortunately, we've been battling rain and scheduling conflicts so I have literally no driveway and no way to the garage. The front of my house is all concrete forms, gravel, and torn-up lawn. So WIKIMINI will need to learn to live at the curb for a few days even if we manage to get this poured over the next two days (to allow for concrete cure time).

And I haven't yet placed an ad to sell my Camaro so it's living at my Dad's house. Of course I fried the stereo after driving the car for a week -- the thing is fine for 14 years and then shorts out when it's time to sell. Sheesh! I think I'll get motivated to get rid of the Camaro after I finally drive my MINI. I'm intrigued at the idea of getting double the gas mileage while driving a 1/4 mile 2/10ths *faster* than GM's finest -- after break-in, of course.

One thing I want to mention -- Yay for Sears DieHard. The battery on my Camaro died after 33 months. Sears replaced it even though I had no receipt. I'm now a die hard Die Hard fan.

Drummergirl, you look quite pleased with your Pepper White. It looks beautiful. aem, you'll get to see my goofy face soon enough! Thanks for all your photos, fellow Isoldites.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:38 PM
()()==
2nd Gear
HOW COOL IS THIS? Sorry -- ahem, how cool is this?

Wow. I love this car.

Yikes. How do I get my pics uploaded? I don't have time. I need to go drive some more. Soon, very soon.

I have no clue how to embed a pic here, so you'll have to go to my gallery to see my goofy, naive face.

I love this car. However, I really must recommend a non-S for an inexperienced driver. This "cute" car has a mean streak. It is much quicker than you think. It handles so well that you can recover if you are calm and quick. But I'd recommend approaching the car's adhesion limits with respect.

Life is good.

...after another couple of days. The only nastiness I've found in the car is under hard acceleration. People debate whether the car has torque steer. I really don't know what that feels like, but I did get strong feedback through the steering wheel as the tires struggled to hook up. I'm used to gripping a steering wheel relatively lightly (with rear wheel drive), but you need to hold on pretty tight in this car. And the car is just so quick that you end up where you intended to go a lot sooner than you might expect. So you need to start your next maneuver that much more quickly. It's a little startling at first.

On the other hand, the DSC seems perhaps a little too safe. I went into my favorite corner at the end of a freeway with the intent of doing an understeer drift. Because the car is new, I wasn't all that aggressive. But the DSC shut me right down. I went in at 70+ and came out at 40, even though I never touched the brake and kept pressure on the accelerator. It sure feels like the DSC modifies throttle response in addition to modulating the brakes. It seems so backward to brake in the middle of a corner that I'm amazed the DSC didn't make things worse. It's a little disconcerting to feel a car controlling me.

I'm going to hold off turning DSC off until I get more used to the car.

WIKIMINI hopes all its cruise buddies are having a great time! Cheers!

Last edited by ()()==; 05-24-2008 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:50 PM
frupp
1st Gear
So how is everyone from the ISOLDE doing with their new MINI's & MINI Clubmans. I read today that MINI is going to make a MINI CUV called "Crossman" (Crossover Utility Vehicle) around 2010. Maybe I'll get that two if we include kids into the mix by then. Hope everyone is enjoying their MCS as much as I am.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:18 PM
()()==
2nd Gear
So how is everyone from the ISOLDE doing with their new MINI's & MINI Clubmans. I read today that MINI is going to make a MINI CUV called "Crossman" (Crossover Utility Vehicle) around 2010. Maybe I'll get that two if we include kids into the mix by then. Hope everyone is enjoying their MCS as much as I am.
I LOVE my MCS!

Is everyone breaking their car in right? (I have to admit to hitting 5000 RPM a couple of times.)

32.2 MPG so far...

Old 07-04-2008, 08:35 AM
frupp
1st Gear
Happy 4th

I saw the bookmark for the ISOLDE blog and thought I'd update. It's been a couple of months with the MINI and have really enjoyed it I am sooo happy I got the lifetime Sirius. I listen to it at work over the net for free now. Cornering has been awesome. We have a few tight on ramps in Phoenix and its been fun learning to take them at 50+ (when it just me on the ramp). My only gripe at all is the sunvisors. Its hot/bright in AZ and the visors don't go all the way across. Other than that I am more than pleased. Getting great gas mileage, still smiling evertime I push the start button. How is everyone else's time with their MINI been?

Old 07-07-2008, 05:04 PM
()()==
2nd Gear
Happy summer!

Thanks, Frupp. Same to you.

So, WIKIMINI is a commuter car. I also notice that I pretty much don't want to drive/ride anything else. (Pretty, pretty bikes/ gathering dust in the dark/ the MINI drives off.) I've been hauling a compressor and tools back and forth in it because I can't bear to park it and drive my truck. So the backs of the seats are a little beat -- no real damage, just surface scrapes and sawdust.

I have learned to handle the little beast. (Firm grip on the wheel, feather the throttle if you encounter torque steer or tramlining.)

And I had a nasty encounter with a tempered glass window on the freeway. It exploded under a nearby car's tire. Glass shards embedded into my clearbra, a very few "X-Acto" slices were made in the paint, and my windshield was sandblasted-then-cracked. So I have a new windshield. The slices in the paint are very few, very narrow and don't seem to penetrate the primer so hopefully I won't need new paint. I'm so glad I added the clearbra to my order. What an odd first "scratch."

Other than that...I see no MINIs blinking their lights or waiving at me, but gosh people seem to be intrigued by the car. I'm happy with my decision.

Happy summer, Cruise Buddies.