1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All Aboard the ISOLDE

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 01:24 PM
dphouse
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aem
I'm taking screen shots of a ship that looks similar to the Isolde going through the Centennial Bridge right now.
I don't see a ship at the Centennial Bridge. I do see a ship at the Gatun Locks though, is that the ISOLDE?

Old 04-28-2008, 02:30 PM
aem
1st Gear
It was a few hours ago, but the more I look at the screenshots, the less it looks like the Isolde. No idea where it is at right now.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:40 PM
helloimpaul
1st Gear
awesome... I've been missing out, busy busy weekend. But distractions are good right? So, did we make it through the Panama? Go ISOLDE! Meanwhile, Im trying to think of places to take MINI's first pictures.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:07 PM
aem
1st Gear
Ok so now she finally showed up on aisfree in Gatun Lake. So the ship I saw earlier was definetely not the right one.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:00 PM
drummergirl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Minichelle
It's funny reading this thread because our car was on the last trip ISOLDE made to the states, so it's kinda fun watching you guys go though what we did just a couple months ago.

Anyway, just posting to say that on it's last trip, we captured a bunch of shots of the ISOLDE going through the canal locks. So if you guys don't get any, or missed it and want to see the ship going though, i'm happy to re-post them in this thread.
Congrats on getting your new MINI. How long did it take at the VDC? I keep hoping mine will be at the dealer and ready to pick up by May 10th if it gets to port by May 5th.

Thanks for the video links too. Cool!

Old 04-28-2008, 04:04 PM
drummergirl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by helloimpaul
awesome... I've been missing out, busy busy weekend. But distractions are good right? So, did we make it through the Panama? Go ISOLDE! Meanwhile, Im trying to think of places to take MINI's first pictures.
Good thinking. I need to remember to bring my camera to the dealership so I can take better pics than cell phone ones. I saw a pic somewhere (don't remember where) of someone who had a cool sign from their dealer saying something like "this MINI is reserved for so-and-so" I hope my dealership does something cool like that for me when I pick up my car!

Old 04-28-2008, 04:24 PM
()()==
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by aem
Ok so now she finally showed up on aisfree in Gatun Lake. So the ship I saw earlier was definetely not the right one.
If you are watching Isolde's position on the free AIS website, that information is randomly delayed by at least an hour. You have to pay to get real time positions. So when you see Isolde on Gatun Lake, you know that is where it was at least an hour ago. The ship you saw earlier could be Isolde. You may want to not delete any pictures you got until you know.

I can't figure out how to zoom to the canal. When I click on the red box, nothing happens. Do you have any tips?

Thanks!

Old 04-28-2008, 04:37 PM
aem
1st Gear
Old 04-28-2008, 04:43 PM
aem
1st Gear
It's going to be dark by the time she rolls through Centennial Bridge :( Wow, I've wasted a lot of time today tracking this!

Old 04-28-2008, 05:42 PM
()()==
2nd Gear
A Very Exciting Day

Originally Posted by Minichelle
It's funny reading this thread because our car was on the last trip ISOLDE made to the states, so it's kinda fun watching you guys go though what we did just a couple months ago.

Anyway, just posting to say that on it's last trip, we captured a bunch of shots of the ISOLDE going through the canal locks. So if you guys don't get any, or missed it and want to see the ship going though, i'm happy to re-post them in this thread.
I feel an urge to use burb language and say I'm totally into it. It's true.

It's very excellent. Awesome. Cool. Mellow, ... I feel like a pig in slop.

What an interesting day. I haven't been able to make connection from my Mac, parallels, bootcamp. But still, I'm as excited as can be. I am SO glad I ordered my ride. I wouldn't miss this day for the world.

Anyway, with respect to today, can you please save and post your pics, plots, routes, links, wmv's etc? I'll take pictures of my car and post. Please do the same. Can we make a "photo" montage of our links and messages? How are you celebrating? (I'm working at home, pretty exciting, huh?) How will you commemorate your ride home? Then bookmark this. Of course, we only just met here, and there are lurkers, so please be careful with your posts.

I'm just very curious/interested in this shared experience. If we meet at a MINI event, it would be fun to have this shared thread. But meanwhile, this is a very fun experience that we are sharing simultaneously. I really like the idea of making a thread that shows it.

Please ignore this if it seems whacked.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Minichelle
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by drummergirl
Congrats on getting your new MINI. How long did it take at the VDC? I keep hoping mine will be at the dealer and ready to pick up by May 10th if it gets to port by May 5th.
Lessee, I believe the ship arrived at Port Hueneme on Feb 9th, and we picked up on the 18th.

IIRC, others in CA and Arizona got theirs a little sooner, so it depends some where you live. But i'd say about a week or so once the ship docks.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:03 PM
porifera
1st Gear
Isolde at Miraflores

AISFree shows the Isolde at Miraflores (but as previously mentioned, add at least an hour...)

Old 04-28-2008, 08:41 PM
porifera
1st Gear
Look quick!

And compare it to ()()== sig...

http://webcams.pancanal.com/common/p...iraflores.html

Old 04-28-2008, 09:05 PM
aem
1st Gear
E90post.com show pictures of the Isolde going through the locks. I wasn't home at the time it cross so no pictures from me :( Now the count down to the VDC!

Old 04-28-2008, 09:14 PM
porifera
1st Gear
Originally Posted by aem
E90post.com show pictures of the Isolde going through the locks. I wasn't home at the time it cross so no pictures from me :( Now the count down to the VDC!
Don't say I never gave you anything...

Old 04-28-2008, 09:28 PM
LaLaMini
1st Gear
It was really fun to watch her go through the locks. I added the pics to my gallery. The countdown is really killing me, I swear.
LET'S GET READY TO MOTOoOooOOOoR!!!!

Old 04-29-2008, 10:07 PM
()()==
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by porifera
Don't say I never gave you anything...

Great posts! Yeah, baby.

Porifera, this is just so freakin cool! I really like the map plot too.

Thanks!

P.S. From this angle (and if you squint) it looks kind of like a giant WA state ferry.

Last edited by ()()==; 04-29-2008 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:13 PM
drummergirl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by aem
I hear you on the countdown... When we wake up tomorrow morning just 5 more days til VDC!!!!!

Old 04-29-2008, 10:15 PM
drummergirl
2nd Gear
oh yea, thanks for the great pics proifera. i wanted to catch it while in panama but missed it. hope the ship gets in early on the 5th.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:29 PM
()()==
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by LaLaMini
It was really fun to watch her go through the locks. I added the pics to my gallery. The countdown is really killing me, I swear.
LET'S GET READY TO MOTOoOooOOOoR!!!!
Nice. Really nice. I looks like you could make flip cards showing the motion of the boat.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:00 PM
dphouse
2nd Gear
My MA says the estimated arrival of ISOLDE at the VDC is on 5-6-08. Has anyone else heard from their MA's or checked the tracking website?

Old 05-01-2008, 09:35 PM
drummergirl
2nd Gear
The last my MA said (but that was early last week) was the 5th. Since Isolde apparently left on the day after it was originally slated to leave Panama, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the 6th. I won't go ballistic if it's the 6th, but I must say I won't feel good until the cars are off the ship and into the vdc. What I am more concerned about is the west coast strike that occurred today. Did you hear anything about it? I don't have a tv, but a coworker told me, so I looked it up: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080502/us_nm/usa_ports_dc

I sure hope there won't be any issues for us regarding that. I just want my baby home safe and sound. I was really hoping to get it by that weekend but now I am less hopeful... Oh well, I guess I won't worry about something that may or may not happen. But I am counting the days until I have my sweet new ride!!!

Old 05-01-2008, 09:41 PM
dphouse
2nd Gear
drummergirl,

I didn't know about the strike, thanks for the input. I won't go ballistic either, but my fiance wants her Mini already (I want it too). I guess we have to wait and see. Thankfully I live only 30 minutes from the Port, so I'm hoping to receive the car pretty quickly.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:48 PM
LaLaMini
1st Gear
Just checked the tracking website, and lo and behold, under "voyage details," the date for Isolde's arrival at the port has indeed changed to the 6th.

I haven't received any calls from my MA yet *grr* but, I'm sure if he called, nothing he'd tell me would be much of a surprise.

Hang in there, everyone! One more day isn't too painful...

Old 05-01-2008, 09:52 PM
drummergirl
2nd Gear
wow, only 30 minutes from the port - aren't you lucky! i confess if i lived that close i would probably drive over there on teh 5th (and 6th) and see if i could spot the ship and my car.

i live in the bay area so more like 6or more hours away. of course a truck won't go as fast as a car would so i am allowing for a day on the road.

you may even have your car by the end of the week. my ma said that in general the trucks drop cars off m-f (not sat but there is the ocassional exception). so since you are so close i hope they get your car to the dealer by friday so you can pick it up that day or next. he also told me to call back midweek since they may at least have an eta for me as to when it should get to my dealer. i will feel better with an eta even if the eta says it won't be until the 12th or 13th.

Quick Reply: All Aboard the ISOLDE