1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All Aboard the ISOLDE

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 09:53 PM
dphouse
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey LaLaMini,

What part of socal are you located in? I'm in Calabasas.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:55 PM
dphouse
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by drummergirl
wow, only 30 minutes from the port - aren't you lucky! i confess if i lived that close i would probably drive over there on teh 5th (and 6th) and see if i could spot the ship and my car.

i live in the bay area so more like 6or more hours away. of course a truck won't go as fast as a car would so i am allowing for a day on the road.

you may even have your car by the end of the week. my ma said that in general the trucks drop cars off m-f (not sat but there is the ocassional exception). so since you are so close i hope they get your car to the dealer by friday so you can pick it up that day or next. he also told me to call back midweek since they may at least have an eta for me as to when it should get to my dealer. i will feel better with an eta even if the eta says it won't be until the 12th or 13th.
It would be great to take delivery next week. I don't have the time to drive up to the port, or else I would. We're getting impatient...

Old 05-01-2008, 09:55 PM
drummergirl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by LaLaMini
Just checked the tracking website, and lo and behold, under "voyage details," the date for Isolde's arrival at the port has indeed changed to the 6th.

I haven't received any calls from my MA yet *grr* but, I'm sure if he called, nothing he'd tell me would be much of a surprise.

Hang in there, everyone! One more day isn't too painful...
aw shucks, i was hoping the ship could make up for lost time and still get there on the 5th. drat!

you are right though, one more day isn't too bad... maybe they can work a little faster at the vdc to get our cars to us!

Old 05-01-2008, 09:59 PM
drummergirl
2nd Gear
BTW everyone, i sure am glad we have this forum to bond and vent. it would be much harder without my mini family to keep me company in the agony of waiting.
here's a little prayer of hope that we may we all get our cars sooner rather than later-
drummergilr

Old 05-01-2008, 11:37 PM
porifera
1st Gear
The last my MA said (but that was early last week) was the 5th. Since Isolde apparently left on the day after it was originally slated to leave Panama, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the 6th. I won't go ballistic if it's the 6th, but I must say I won't feel good until the cars are off the ship and into the vdc. What I am more concerned about is the west coast strike that occurred today. Did you hear anything about it? I don't have a tv, but a coworker told me, so I looked it up: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080502/us_nm/usa_ports_dc

I sure hope there won't be any issues for us regarding that. I just want my baby home safe and sound. I was really hoping to get it by that weekend but now I am less hopeful... Oh well, I guess I won't worry about something that may or may not happen. But I am counting the days until I have my sweet new ride!!!
Yeah, I saw this on the news tonight. I guess I might have to go down and unload my own car...

Old 05-01-2008, 11:55 PM
LaLaMini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by dphouse
hey LaLaMini,

What part of socal are you located in? I'm in Calabasas.
Hey!

I'm in Burbank, but picking up my mini from monrovia.

Not too far from each other, eh? Will definitely see each other motoring around. We all need to post up pics with our rides once they get in. It'll be so exciting!!! woo hoo!!!

I wonder if any of us happened to order from the same dealerships....hmmm...

Old 05-01-2008, 11:56 PM
LaLaMini
1st Gear
BTW everyone, i sure am glad we have this forum to bond and vent. it would be much harder without my mini family to keep me company in the agony of waiting.
here's a little prayer of hope that we may we all get our cars sooner rather than later-
drummergilr
ditto to all the above! I really thought I was overly-obsessed about this whole "tracking Isolde" thing, but now that we're all in the 'same boat,' it doesn't seem too crazy anymore...

Old 05-01-2008, 11:59 PM
dphouse
2nd Gear
We ordered ours from Bob Smith. Looking forward to breaking the motor in...

Old 05-02-2008, 12:06 AM
LaLaMini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by dphouse
We ordered ours from Bob Smith. Looking forward to breaking the motor in...
You know, I got really close to going over to Bob Smith for my mini. (My whole family is tied to Bob Smith toyota, that's why), but after dropping by other dealerships, I got impatient, and finally settled on this one. I would've loved to check it out! Is it a large mini dealership? I'm sure you got great service, and non-pushy sales people...I hope...

Old 05-02-2008, 12:09 AM
dphouse
2nd Gear
You know, I got really close to going over to Bob Smith for my mini. (My whole family is tied to Bob Smith toyota, that's why), but after dropping by other dealerships, I got impatient, and finally settled on this one. I would've loved to check it out! Is it a large mini dealership? I'm sure you got great service, and non-pushy sales people...I hope...
It's a small mini dealership. They usually charge 3k over MSRP, but I negotiated my way out of that. I live a couple miles from the dealership and told them that I had no problem taking my business to Nick Alexander or South Bay if they didn't comply. Nevertheless, we are paying MSRP for our 08 MCS.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:57 AM
()()==
2nd Gear
ditto to all the above! I really thought I was overly-obsessed about this whole "tracking Isolde" thing, but now that we're all in the 'same boat,' it doesn't seem too crazy anymore...
...maybe you're not crazy. Or maybe we all are.

I guess I'll probably be a week behind you in getting my MINI. I don't really know how long it takes to truck it to NW MINI. That's ok. It will give me another week to sell my Z-28 so I'll get off my bike for that time and drive the old car around now that sunshine is finally finding us.

I'm also demolishing and pouring a new, wider driveway and drywalling my garage. Is anybody else doing anything special for you MINI's arrival?

Old 05-02-2008, 02:45 PM
LaLaMini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ()()==
...maybe you're not crazy. Or maybe we all are.

I guess I'll probably be a week behind you in getting my MINI. I don't really know how long it takes to truck it to NW MINI. That's ok. It will give me another week to sell my Z-28 so I'll get off my bike for that time and drive the old car around now that sunshine is finally finding us.

I'm also demolishing and pouring a new, wider driveway and drywalling my garage. Is anybody else doing anything special for you MINI's arrival?
I'm TRYING to clean out my garage, but it takes forever when you have years of junk stored up. I'll have to get back into it just to take my mind off the waiting process

Old 05-02-2008, 03:45 PM
frupp
1st Gear
Fellow ISOLDE MINI waiter

Hey everyone, I am also anxiously awaiting the arrival of my MCS on the ISOLDE. I've really enjoyed reading everyone's comments. In terms of preparations, I have already gutted the garage and I am considering having a professionally installed epoxy floor before the Mini's arrival. I am uber looking forward to gaining 4 extra feet in front of the car for my Mini (pun intended) wood working bench area to gain that space. I've already ordered a ALTA Performance 2" replacement car antenna and should get it way before the Mini arrives. I'm hoping its small enough to clear my kayak that I like to plop on top of some thick pads on my current Civic. Prepping the Civic for trade is a whole different story. *rubs palms together* got some work to do.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:59 PM
()()==
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by frupp
Hey everyone, I am also anxiously awaiting the arrival of my MCS on the ISOLDE. I've really enjoyed reading everyone's comments. In terms of preparations, I have already gutted the garage and I am considering having a professionally installed epoxy floor before the Mini's arrival. I am uber looking forward to gaining 4 extra feet in front of the car for my Mini (pun intended) wood working bench area to gain that space. I've already ordered a ALTA Performance 2" replacement car antenna and should get it way before the Mini arrives. I'm hoping its small enough to clear my kayak that I like to plop on top of some thick pads on my current Civic. Prepping the Civic for trade is a whole different story. *rubs palms together* got some work to do.
Hey, frupp. Good to hear from you.

I'm in Lala's position. We've lived in the same house for ...gulp... 20 years! I have a very big job ahead of me cleaning out the garage.

But I really want to get some drywall up so I need to take on the big cleanup.

And I have been thinking about an epoxy floor for some time now. Have you looked into doing it yourself?

I think that if the short antenna doesn't clear your kayak, you can probably just unscrew the antenna while the boat is on the car. I read on another thread that at least urban NAMers were getting pretty good radio reception without any antenna installed!

Old 05-02-2008, 06:20 PM
frupp
1st Gear
I just arrive home and the 2" antenna has already arrive. That is a good idea about just removing it all together. I wasn't sure how tricky it was to remove. This one looks like a glorified screw it's so small. Can't wait to test out three options in terms of receptions. Good luck on the dry wall. I have a chunk of the ceiling in the garage I have to replace. Its above the wife's car though, ha ha. I'll do it, I'll do it. I went to a Home and Garden show in Phoenix last weekend and talked to a few vendors. Apparently not all epoxy floors are same. Many fail in the first year because the tires stick and rip up the floor etc. The ones that do that are types they sell at Home Depot and Lowes. The other concern is time, that stuff sets up quick as I'm told and its best to have a crew of three working simultaneously to get it down and smoothed out before it cures. I'll let you know if I decide on something.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:45 PM
()()==
2nd Gear
That's important information about the epoxy floors. Thanks. I'll go see what I can find online about the performance differences between brands.

I have heard that floor prep is extremely important.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:35 PM
dphouse
2nd Gear
Has anyone hear heard about VentureShield clear bra's? I have heard that the other brands turn yellow and the venture shield's don't. Anyone know a reputable installer in the San Fernando Valley? Thanks

Old 05-02-2008, 10:06 PM
aem
1st Gear
Originally Posted by frupp
I see you are in Tempe. Our Mini's get to come home on the same boat and probably the same truck. Maybe we'll see each other when we pick up our cars and around town!

Old 05-02-2008, 10:26 PM
porifera
1st Gear
Just another confirmation

Here is the latest vessel schedule

Old 05-02-2008, 11:08 PM
()()==
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by porifera
Here is the latest vessel schedule

238 MINIs!?!

Old 05-04-2008, 07:29 PM
helloimpaul
1st Gear
Hi everyone, so from what I've been reading, ISOLDE is pushed back one more day? I'm still getting my finances in order, so I can wait... but not too long.
How is everyone else holding up?
I'm prepping my current car, getting it ready to be passed down to my sister. busy busy!

Old 05-05-2008, 08:36 AM
frupp
1st Gear
Fellow Tempe Res. on ISOLDE

AEM, yeah, we might even meet each other up at the dealer in Scottsdale. What does yours look like, I'll keep an eye out for you on the road. Mine is a Dark Silver body, White roof, chrome mirrors and dual sunroof MCS. What part of Tempe do you live? I'm South of Baseline, West of McClintock.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:22 AM
drummergirl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by helloimpaul
Hi everyone, so from what I've been reading, ISOLDE is pushed back one more day? I'm still getting my finances in order, so I can wait... but not too long.
How is everyone else holding up?
I'm prepping my current car, getting it ready to be passed down to my sister. busy busy!
Holding up fairly well. I am at peace knowing that the boat arrives tomorrow at Port Hueneme. Something about just knowing that it will be safe on dry land and being inspected at the VDC relaxes me. The remaining days until it reaches the Bay area are not a big deal for me now.

In the meantime I have been buying a couple little goodies for the car and planning what mods will take place after I get it. I am planning on a new stereo; I got the hifi but I wasn't that impressed when I listened to it on my test drive. I am a musician so pretty hard to please when it comes to sound. I paid for the hifi because I read it is easier for the installers to make changes and add speakers since they can just replace the ones already there. So I have been doing last minute research on brand of equipment, prices and installers so that I can just get it done right away. I will probably have them tint the windows while there too.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:56 AM
helloimpaul
1st Gear

In the meantime I have been buying a couple little goodies for the car and planning what mods will take place after I get it. I am planning on a new stereo; I got the hifi but I wasn't that impressed when I listened to it on my test drive.
Awesome! I'm just happy to have a CD player! hehe, speaking of which, I still need to put together a soundtrack for my first drive home... AC/DC maybe? ...

Old 05-05-2008, 11:41 AM
LaLaMini
1st Gear
Yippie!!! Just got a call from my MA on Saturday, and he said I should be picking up my little one on the 17th!!!!!!!! I really need to finish the garage now, hehe. So close yet so faaaar!

Quick Reply: All Aboard the ISOLDE