1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Delivery Timing Problem - advice required

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 01:59 PM
matthewsjl
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Delivery Timing Problem - advice required

OK, history: I started looking for my current lease replacement in early April. I have a BMW that is end of lease on 21st June 2008.

I found a dealer who offered $500 under MSRP on a build and ordered a car at the start of April. In all my conversations I explained to the dealer that I was looking to take delivery at the end of May at the earliest (ie: after final payment on the current lease). No delivery date was listed on the order form.

So, the car got built early. It's looking to be at the dealer before the end of April (that's less than four weeks to the dealer) - and the dealer wants me to take delivery. I explained my position that I always said that I would take delivery at the end of May. My MA isn't happy about this as they will have a car sitting on the lot for a few more weeks.

I have one payment remaining on the current lease of $421 - it's a BMW lease and the Mini would be with BMW Financial Services again on a lease.

I really want to work with the dealership on this - and the MA is going to get his manager to call me (his doing, not mine). I'd be interested on opinions here as to how I should handle the situation. Just to be clear, I'm not going to run two cars overlapping and/or be out of pocket on remaining payments.

Cheers,

John.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:29 PM
Modshack
3rd Gear
The dealer will incur costs having the Mini sit around for a month (it's called "Floor Plan" interest...) They basically Borrow the money. Quick turnaround keeps these cost to a minimum. I'd offer to cover some of that for them or at least pitch some more down payment money their way so they don't sell it out from under you. Interest for one month should not be that much... I'm assuming you're OK with the car sitting at the dealer for a month and potentially being used for a showroom unit etc...

Old 04-22-2008, 02:33 PM
matthewsjl
2nd Gear
If I pay more money, I incur cost because the MA didn't listen/hear that I wanted to take delivery at the end of May. Why should I take the hit for their error?

I'm thinking if they make the final lease payment ($421) then I'll take the car in April.

John.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Modshack
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by matthewsjl
I'm thinking if they make the final lease payment ($421) then I'll take the car in April.

John.
Ha ha! Good luck on that! It's cheaper for them to sit on it (if they're willing). It's a crapshoot figuring delivery scheduling. Would you rather the car come earlier or later and have to worry about being without a car?

Last edited by Modshack; 04-22-2008 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:40 PM
howie289
2nd Gear
What does your ordering contract state? If it is consistent with your wishes, you should have no obligation to the dealer.

Yours is a common situation. You told the dealer when your lease is up and he/she should be able to have the car ready for you at that time.

Keep us posted and best of luck!

Old 04-22-2008, 03:54 PM
matthewsjl
2nd Gear
I'm easy about when I take delivery. No delivery date is on the contract. The only verbal deal I had was that for the $500 discount, I would take the car before the end of May (getting it in that month's sales figures). By that time my last payment is gone anyway so there is no real loss to myself.

You're right when you say that it's not difficult. Somehow the MA has ended up pissed at me when he didn't pay attention to my lease end date and ordered the car too early.

John.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:45 AM
Juancho
2nd Gear
Tough situation. When I put my order in, I did it based on them telling me there was a 6-8 week turn-around time on special orders. So this would have put me in the end of May-beginning of June. As it stands right now, I should take delivering in closer to 4-5 weeks, so around second week in May. I kind of had a feeling this would happen, since I figured they were just trying to deter me from ordering and go with something off the lot, so they stretched the turn-around time a bit.

Anyway, like Modshack said, they're incurring cost when they have cars sitting on the lot. The MA should've handled this better, but you should also try to meet them halfway since the requested delivery date isn't in writing. Talk to the Sales Manager and see what he tells you.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:28 AM
Derk
3rd Gear
You guys realize the OP has had his car for 3 years now, right?

Old 04-28-2011, 08:29 AM
Juancho
2nd Gear
Woah! HAHA! Gotta pay attention to the post dates on these. LMAO!