1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 23 2008 Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 06:48 AM
YsIFit
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gemgirlpa
no seriously, i do know that, but not to the extent that you just explained, so tell me what is the chassie thingy???
The new model convertible comes out in August/Sept. doesn't it?
The current convertible is still based on the first generation (2002-2006) MINI, which was internally coded as R50 for a Justacooper, R52 for a convertible, and R53 for a MCS. The Justacooper had a 1.6L 4 cylinder making 115hp and the S version had a 1.6L supercharged 4 cylinder which made either 162 or 168 hp. The engine was made by Chrysler in South America.

The 2007-2008 Cooper and MCS (R56) was almost a complete redesign ... it shares almost no parts with the first generation. If you look closely, the nose is 1.5" longer, done to certify the car to new European pedestrian impact standards. But the big changes were to the interior and the engine. The interior was completely reworked and they moved around the radio, etc ... to make the center stack narrower and give the driver more footroom.

As far as the mechanicals, BMW did away with pure hydraulic steering for an electric power steering setup. (Which is why some were referring to the gen-1 MINI as having better steering feel.) But the big change was to the engines. BMW entered into a joint venture with Puegeot/Citroen to come up with a new base engine for the Justa and a turbocharged version for the MCS, making 118 in base form and 172 in the MCS.

The Clubman was introduced earlier this year (R55) and MINI starts taking orders on the new conv. (R57) later this year.

Hope that "brief summary" helps. I had a 2004 MCS and just got my 2008, so I've had both. The R56 is bigger and feels more solid, but does lack a bit of the visceralness (is that a word) of the original R53. Tomato, to-mah-to.

You really can't go wrong either way .. they're both a blast!!!

Old 07-10-2008, 08:35 AM
cooperfan1024
2nd Gear
Bad news everyone....my MINI has come and gone due to my poor poor credit. The plan was for me to pay cash, but the car got here before my money (there's a holdup at the insurance company). I'm not giving up though! As soon as my money comes in I'm either going to order again or pick something awesome off of the lot. Congrats to everyone who's gotten their MINI!

Old 07-10-2008, 08:39 AM
DanceForMINI
3rd Gear
cooper- I am so sorry! Is the one you ordered "Melvin" already sold off the lot? :( I can't believe the dealer didn't try and work with you to get you the car, well, I guess I can cause I know they are worried about making $ first of all but still... well at least you aren't throwing in the towel!

Old 07-10-2008, 08:42 AM
DanceForMINI
3rd Gear
Okay after the NAM down yesterday here is what I have to catch up on:

SPF- what a beaut! That color is great, beautiful rich interior and I am sure the photo's don't due the paint justice, looks like a "must see in person" color, I have yet to see anything like that on the road.

As for automotive table talk, yesterday I saw a car peel-out like crazy out of the apartments I live in and my boyfiend asked "What type of car was it." I said "White. I think it was a four door" all I got was this:

On another note I was at Kroger returning bottles last night and there was another MINI in the lot, I tried to park close, I waved to three MINI drivers yesterday and not-a-one waved back (maybe they didn't see me?)

Old 07-10-2008, 08:43 AM
DanceForMINI
3rd Gear
Fun motoring in Buttercup but I guess my MA is sending me the actual loaner today???

Old 07-10-2008, 08:44 AM
OWG
5th Gear
Originally Posted by cooperfan1024
Bad news everyone....my MINI has come and gone...
You've taken this ride all the way. I nominate you as an Honorary Week 23 member.

All in favor say Aye!

Last edited by OWG; 07-10-2008 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:47 AM
DanceForMINI
3rd Gear
Aye

Old 07-10-2008, 08:54 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
thanks YsIfit, that is very well put... that pretty much clears that up. And i still love Nugget!

Old 07-10-2008, 08:55 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Cooperfan - i'm so sorry!! Next one will be even more exciting then this wait, if that is imaginable!

Old 07-10-2008, 08:59 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
AYE was there with us the entire trip!

Old 07-10-2008, 09:25 AM
DanceForMINI
3rd Gear
GUESS WHAT GUYS?!?! I spoke to my MA annnndddd..... my "missing" MINI is scheduled to arrive at the dealership tonight or tomorrow morning (at the latest) which means tomorrow I get my MINI!!!!!!! Oh my goodness I am soooo happy! This means I'll be Motoring in my own car on vacation not to mention it will now start a day early! The first person I called was my boss who has been following me through this whole saga and I told him it's going to be in and I am going to be "sick" tomorrow!!! WHOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!!

Old 07-10-2008, 09:26 AM
DanceForMINI
3rd Gear
p.s: No one can seem to answer why it was put on the wrong boat and sitting at the wrong port. I did get told the port is "union opperated" which is why it was sitting there for so long before someone even realized it, I am assuming since last week was the holiday and all. Either way, it's on it's merry little way to me now!

Old 07-10-2008, 09:39 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
WOWOOWOWOW - THAT IS FANTASTIC DANCE!!! I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!!! YES, ANOTHER ONE IN (AND FOUND)!!!
post pictures early since you will be out sick!!!

Old 07-10-2008, 10:02 AM
DanceForMINI
3rd Gear
I will

Old 07-10-2008, 10:22 AM
spidrz06
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by OWG
You've taken this ride all the way. I nominate you as an Honorary Week 23 member.

All in favor say Aye!

AYE!

Old 07-10-2008, 10:23 AM
MiniZonker
1st Gear
Visit the incarcerated

DanceforMini,
It'll be a couple of days from the time they get your baby and have it ready for you. Cleaning up and all that... But you can go visit!
MiniZonker

Old 07-10-2008, 10:25 AM
SPF ZERO
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DanceForMINI
GUESS WHAT GUYS?!?! I spoke to my MA annnndddd..... my "missing" MINI is scheduled to arrive at the dealership tonight or tomorrow morning (at the latest) which means tomorrow I get my MINI!!!!!!! Oh my goodness I am soooo happy! This means I'll be Motoring in my own car on vacation not to mention it will now start a day early! The first person I called was my boss who has been following me through this whole saga and I told him it's going to be in and I am going to be "sick" tomorrow!!! WHOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!!
I read this, and I swear I could hear the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing "Hallelujah!"

Old 07-10-2008, 10:28 AM
DChap
5th Gear
Aye I am in favor, make it so.

Dance that's soooo awesome, have one last ride in buttercup and go get your motor. Congrats and I will wait for photos with great anticipation.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Euseys
3rd Gear
Hi, OWG, if you'd like to, you could update Eusey status to "July 21 pick up" because that's 100%.

And, lucky Matt gets to take his sailor buddies to Caserta BMW this Saturday with the sales rep from Pentagon Auto Sales to "check on" the Mini. She (he?) won't be pick-up ready until next Mon, but we can visit-- like visiting the swaddled babies in the delivery ward!

Dance--I am delighted a happy solution has been found and you will get your girl. I wish they wouldnt blame the "union", thats like blaming the "boogeyman".

Over here in Naples, keeping warfighters communicating with warfighters via maintained satellite communication uplinks and pushing paperwork....Soon to be crusin' and motoring in our girl (boy?)

Euseys

Old 07-10-2008, 11:34 AM
hexnut
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by OWG

All in favor say Aye!
aye

Old 07-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Mozza
5th Gear
So my financing and insurance is all in place and ready to go, I'm not having them install any accessories so once my car arrives at the dealer my MA has told me all they have to do is detail it and I can come get it. The JCW's are leaving the VDC very early morning next Monday the 14th and my MA said if it arrives before noon on Monday I can have it Monday night!!! This is excruciating!

Old 07-10-2008, 12:45 PM
OWG
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Euseys
Hi, OWG, if you'd like to, you could update Eusey status to "July 21 pick up" because that's 100%.

Euseys
Done!

Old 07-10-2008, 12:55 PM
OWG
5th Gear
A little late, but...

Originally Posted by Axela
I picked mine up this week on 1st as well!! Been too busy driving around, and not posting here...

So pleased with how the car drives. Even on all-season runflats, I love how this thing goes... can't wait till I get some sticky summer tires.

Only downside from the whole experience... I asked the dealer not to drill the front bumper for license plate, but the service guy missed the note and drilled. I was quite upset at the time of delivery. I could have not taken delivery with those holes, but I just wanted the car that day more I guess. R56 actually looks decent with front plate, unlike R53. I guess I can find bumper plugs later if I wanted to fix it.

Salesperson felt bad about the bumper holes, and gave me a JCW shift **** for free... the one with carbon fiber and suede leather. Not bad, but I like stock ****!

Time to find installer for clear bra now...
On behalf of the members of Production Week 23, 2008

Delivery #24

Old 07-10-2008, 01:17 PM
DanceForMINI
3rd Gear
MiniZonker- my MA knows that I need this car yesterday and all of all of the stuff I had to deal with the past couple weeks when even he wasn't able to track it down. There are no dealer accessories being installed (except perhaps a bumper protector) and he knows I need it for vacation Saturday morning so they just have to prep and wash it. I'll be able to get it tomorrow.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:20 PM
DanceForMINI
3rd Gear
Thank you DChap
Buttercup and I will spend a quality 3 hour ride together down to the dealership tomorrow. It will be sad to see her go though.

Quick Reply: Week 23 2008 Support Group