1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 23 2008 Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 09:31 PM
Mirrim
Wrench Wench
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According to my MA, we're supposed to take delivery of the Oxy Blue MC this week. Not sure I could manage to wait any longer anyway! Could tell I'm anxious as I actually had a dream of driving it last night. ;P Great dream by the way.

Glad to see more folks than not are motoring along. The last few of us will be there soon!

Old 07-21-2008, 04:25 AM
mrmrsjackson
2nd Gear
With the new week starting, the excitement builds. I am over the wait and just want my car. 3 days short of 4 weeks at the VDC. Supposed to get the car 6 days ago and nothing. Oh well, hopefully this week. Will update as soon as I have more information.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:22 AM
Tennessee Cutty
2nd Gear
we had to wait on the vdc for three weeks because they were out of sport stripes! finally got Jim last friday and the MA was mad because they messed up the stripes a little in the front. My MA is ordering new ones for us and said they would install them at the dealer and that it takes about ten minutes! only bummer is the dealer is 120 miles away. Oh well another road trip!

Old 07-21-2008, 06:44 AM
MCEnvy
3rd Gear
Interesting. What specifically was messed up with your stripes? My stripes have fine scratches all over them and I asked that they be replaced as well.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:26 AM
richs10
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mrmrsjackson
With the new week starting, the excitement builds. I am over the wait and just want my car. 3 days short of 4 weeks at the VDC. Supposed to get the car 6 days ago and nothing. Oh well, hopefully this week. Will update as soon as I have more information.
I don't want to cause you any undue concern, but something about a 4 week delay at the VDC would bug me. I understand that sometimes, a vehicle is damaged in the transport process and that repairs are done at the VDC. Apparently, they have the ability to repair even very severe damage.

If it were my car, I would make sure that the delay is not because the vehicle was damaged and they have been repairing it. I don't know all the details, but I know they only have to disclose damage/repair if its over a certain dollar amount. And once you have accepted the vehicle, your ability to return it gets much more complicated.

Last edited by richs10; 07-21-2008 at 07:29 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-21-2008, 07:29 AM
richs10
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MCEnvy
Interesting. What specifically was messed up with your stripes? My stripes have fine scratches all over them and I asked that they be replaced as well.
The VDC messed up installing one of my stripes also. It had wrinkle marks in it. I was going to let it go until I decided to have the clear bra installed. My dealer stepped right up and re-did the damaged stripe. The clear bra installer said he sees a lot of damaged stripes because they use the wrong tool to smooth the stripe as they float it on the car body.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:44 AM
MCEnvy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by richs10
The VDC messed up installing one of my stripes also. It had wrinkle marks in it. I was going to let it go until I decided to have the clear bra installed. My dealer stepped right up and re-did the damaged stripe. The clear bra installer said he sees a lot of damaged stripes because they use the wrong tool to smooth the stripe as they float it on the car body.
Interesting... something you would definitely not expect! I'm really surprised. My stripes not only have fine scratches all over them, but one of them has a few water mark streaks that I just can't get rid of!

Old 07-21-2008, 07:57 AM
ThommyG
Banned
Originally Posted by richs10
I don't want to cause you any undue concern, but something about a 4 week delay at the VDC would bug me. I understand that sometimes, a vehicle is damaged in the transport process and that repairs are done at the VDC. Apparently, they have the ability to repair even very severe damage.

If it were my car, I would make sure that the delay is not because the vehicle was damaged and they have been repairing it. I don't know all the details, but I know they only have to disclose damage/repair if its over a certain dollar amount. And once you have accepted the vehicle, your ability to return it gets much more complicated.
I doubt that's the issue -- a number of us have JCWs sitting at the Charleston VPC - initially due to the 7/14 market roll-out for 2009 JCWs; and for a week now because the portfolio wasn't there (supposed to be FedEx'ed). The thought of the vehicles being damaged is too much to bear.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:17 AM
richs10
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ThommyG
I doubt that's the issue -- a number of us have JCWs sitting at the Charleston VPC - initially due to the 7/14 market roll-out for 2009 JCWs; and for a week now because the portfolio wasn't there (supposed to be FedEx'ed). The thought of the vehicles being damaged is too much to bear.

Sorry! You are absolutely right. I missed that their car was a JCW.

As Emily Latella would say, "Never mind"

Old 07-21-2008, 08:38 AM
StarryEyed
4th Gear
SORRY!!! I've been gone for a few days! lol

Congrats -- Did yours come through the Charleston VDC?
Yes I did

Originally Posted by MINImalistnam
ABOUT TIME, Starry!
My wife has been asking about you every few days. Don't forget the pics, can't wait to see yer paint job. Will there be PINK stars?
No pink stars yet. Vinyl guy is working on it!

Starry..........Where are your photos? I am MINImalistnam's wife and I can't wait to see your car!!! You've been waiting sooooooo long. We love our "Sparky"......
I know.. sorry... My computer is down so i use my friends.... I have to get pics up soon!

Originally Posted by DChap
she forgot about us :-(
No I didn't! It's been raining here everyday! lol... I'm headed to give her a batha s soon as i finish this! then pictures!

Originally Posted by gemgirlpa
hi guys, i'm here waiting for Starey's pics also...
hahaha... SOON!!!

WHERE are you Starryeyed ? Do we all have to motor to Michigan ?
(Hey, there's an excuse)
MR MINImalistnam
Yes you do!

Starey is probably motoring, after all she is probably making up for lost time.
I have been! It's amazing!

Originally Posted by Tweeckey
Anyone heard from Starry yet?
Nope! But im here now! lol... again, My computer is down. So i have to find ones that i can use! hahaha... Im off to wash her! ill be back and hopefully able to put pics on this computer!

Old 07-21-2008, 08:47 AM
DanceForMINI
3rd Gear
Hey guys!!!

Wow- so much to catch up on, I read all 10 pages I had missed during my vacation- caongratulations to all of the new MINI mom and dad's!!! Beautiful cars added on here everyday!

Hope each of you still waiting are able to remain patient and all of the kinks with any current issues get worked out ASAP.

Let's see... as of today I have 900 miles on Ziggy. From Ohio to MI on day 1 then the vacation starting day 2- drove it in the rain and it handles wonderfully, no different than dry roads. Fit a weeks worth of vacation/camping stuff (albeit we stayed in a house so no tent) for 2 people fine. The MINI was well used up north, took it to the beach so it has some sand :( inside. The boyfriend and I saw a rock chip? the third day I had it on the passanger door and I swear- it was gone the next day!?!? Paint still wet or "healing paint" similar to Mercedes as the boyfriend suggested?? Went above 4000 RPM on accident in 1st gear (whoops) still adjusting to driving a manual again.... GREAT car!!! I got back this past Saturday and started moving on Sunday- holds a surprising amount of stuff!!! My parents are impressed too. My boyfriend keeps pointing out MINI's in the area we just moved to, I swear it's like a MINI-zone!!! I keep waving and not getting seen or seeing other MINI's too late so I have yet to get the first wave/wave. Goodness it's a fun/great car. Well worth the wait!

I'll get around to posting pics soon. Shutting cable/internet off at my apartment tomorrow so I will try to get pics from the vacation up tonight!

p.S: 500 miles on my first tank- no joke!!!

Old 07-21-2008, 09:18 AM
OWG
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Tennessee Cutty
we had to wait on the vdc for three weeks because they were out of sport stripes! finally got Jim last friday and the MA was mad because they messed up the stripes a little in the front. My MA is ordering new ones for us and said they would install them at the dealer and that it takes about ten minutes! only bummer is the dealer is 120 miles away. Oh well another road trip!
On behalf of the members of Production Week 23, 2008

Delivery #45

Old 07-21-2008, 09:23 AM
OWG
5th Gear
Originally Posted by StarryEyed
Congrats -- Did yours come through the Charleston VDC?
Yes I did

ABOUT TIME, Starry!
My wife has been asking about you every few days. Don't forget the pics, can't wait to see yer paint job. Will there be PINK stars?
No pink stars yet. Vinyl guy is working on it!

Starry..........Where are your photos? I am MINImalistnam's wife and I can't wait to see your car!!! You've been waiting sooooooo long. We love our "Sparky"......
I know.. sorry... My computer is down so i use my friends.... I have to get pics up soon!

Originally Posted by DChap
she forgot about us :-(
No I didn't! It's been raining here everyday! lol... I'm headed to give her a batha s soon as i finish this! then pictures!

hi guys, i'm here waiting for Starey's pics also...
hahaha... SOON!!!
WHERE are you Starryeyed ? Do we all have to motor to Michigan ?
(Hey, there's an excuse)
MR MINImalistnam
Yes you do!

Starey is probably motoring, after all she is probably making up for lost time.
I have been! It's amazing!

Originally Posted by Tweeckey
Anyone heard from Starry yet?
Nope! But im here now! lol... again, My computer is down. So i have to find ones that i can use! hahaha... Im off to wash her! ill be back and hopefully able to put pics on this computer!

Delivery #46

Last edited by OWG; 07-21-2008 at 09:37 AM. Reason: fixing the quotes
Old 07-21-2008, 09:24 AM
OWG
5th Gear
Ten to go!

East Coast –
Halifax

MIGNON Departed: 11‐Jun Arrived:17‐Jun EX806-MIG FEDORA Departed: 18‐Jun Arrived: 25‐Jun EA824-FEDNYC VDC
FIDELIO
Departed: 05-Jun Arrived: 14-JunPATRIOT Departed: 07-Jun Arrived: 16-JunMIGNON Departed: 11‐Jun Arrived: 20-Jun EX806-MIG ASIAN CHORUS Departed: 12-Jun Arrived:20-Jun ED823-ASC

FEDORA Departed: 18‐Jun Arrived: 27‐Jun EA824-FEDCOURAGE Departed: 21‐Jun Arrived: 2 Jul EB825-COG DON JUAN Departed: 24‐Jun ETA: 3‐Jul EA825-DOJ

Unknown VesselCharleston VDC
PATRIOT
Departed: 07-Jun Arrived: 21-JunSIERRA NEVADA HIGHWAY Departed: 8‐Jun Arrived 20-JunWESTERN HIGHWAY Departed: 13‐Jun Arrived: 26‐JunEMDEN Departed: 25‐Jun ETA: 5‐JulCOURAGE Departed: 21‐Jun ETA: 5‐Jul EB825-COG

Unknown Shipping Info
Brunswick VDC
FIDELIO
Departed: 05-Jun Arrived 19-JunWest- Port Hueneme VDC
RIGOLETTO
Departed: 04-Jun Arrived:27-Jun ASIAN CHORUS Departed: 12-Jun Arrived:3-Jul ED823-ASCEuropean Delivery
July 21 pick up
Honorary Week 23

Last edited by OWG; 07-24-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:01 AM
Euseys
3rd Gear
Ok. Euseys are WINGED!
OWG, whenever you get the chance, "wing me!"

Here is the tale of our five hours at the Italian BMW office.

We met Carmine, the guy from Pentagon Car Sales at his office in Grecignano, Italy about 5 mins. from the naval base at 9:25am. (We had a 9am appointment, but Saturday he cut his leg really bad with a rusty weed whacker, so he's a bit slow now...poor guy).

We headed to the base to drop off my car, a 1995 Lancia Dedra. (Italian beater car). We took a factory demo BMW 200 series to the BMW dealer in Caserta. We arrived by 10:00am.

First, the paperwork only took 10 minutes. That was awesome. Ok, let's go downstairs, below ground into the secure vault area where the cars are kept.

Um, is that dusty, icky, speckled thing my brand new $28,800 car?

Ok, so back upstairs for more waiting while they give the car a quick wash. Tursn out it was cleaned on July 15, when it got off the rail/truck to the dealership in the first place, so it just sat for six days getting icky.

An hour later (11:20am) we see her. She's beautiful. But, we're in the basement, its kinda dark and mildly flourescent lit, so to go over my own 3 page inspection I printed off from N.A.M. we need more light. Ok, lets go over as much as we can here in this vault, and then take it outside for the paint inspection. So, my "dealer' Carmine with his bleedy cut leg (it was weeping red clear fluid--healthy, the Italian hospital told him), Matt and I begin going over the 3 page list.
Problems:
1 scratch on hood
1 yellowish stain or scratch (cosmoline?) on aerokit passenger side bottom
1 USB port for IPOD does not work at all, still does not show iPod as connected
1 missing any carpets or rubber matts at all

The coolest thing: She only had .1 of a mile on her. Only .1
How cool was that? Our biggest worry was that some part time teenaged employee would take her joyriding...no worries there!!

So, we bring our complaints to the BMW People, who were wishywashy about it. They took out a purple bottle and buffed out both stains. Now, its lunch, they are closed. Wait to check on iPod USB and outside paint inspection. (1:02pm)

We hit the MALL in Caserta! WOOHOO A real mall. They even have a Body Shop, so I can stock up on tea tree oil! WOOHOO. Lunch, (we treated Carmine) and time to return (3:04pm)

They pull our car into the service bay, the mechanic comes over to us holding the white USB cable that comes with the iPod. "Wrong cable" he says in broken English. Carmine and I translate and go back and forth in English and Italian. How can this be the wrong cable? One end into the iPod's butt, one end into the USB port. I bet the USB port isnt powered or broken or something....

No, Wrong Cable. Turns out, whether it was dealer error, MINI design or whatever, although the AUX jack and USB port are there, you need a 60 EURO COST cable that plugs into both jacks and the iPod's butt.

I AM NOT PAYING OVER $100 US DOLLARS FOR A DAMNED CABLE TO MAKE MY IPOD WORK IN A CAR I SPENT $28,000 ON. Nobody else in week 23 support group *(0ver 40 deliveries!!!)* ever mentioned buying a damned expensive cable to support iPod.

So, over an HOUR of fighting in both English and Italian, I'm close to tears, this happy day sorta ruined by a dusty, splotchy icky car at reveal, and now, you bastards want cash for a cable?

So, poor Carmine buys the cable, sucks up the 60 euros as a "dealer expense" and will try and get Pentagon to pay him back.

We gather our stuff, its now 5:15pm. We've been here since 10am, with a mandatory lunch break. Its time to go Home.

On the way, we BLAST iPod, Jammin' and Singin' and Motorin' trying to think of a name for our blue and black Beauty.

So, I suggest "Beast" from XMen. He's blue but sophisticated. Matt says nah, she's edgier than that. She's tougher and sexier.

M Y S T I Q U E

That's her name. Its perfect. She's waiting for her registration appointment with the US Navy tomorrow, she'll be plated then. No dealer stickers or decals, pure factory condition, not even a plate yet....may the Euseys introduce our MINI.....Mystique!

So, alls well that ends well. Thanks to Carmine for coming through with the cable thing, and we've got 6 months of good driving on Italian roads...where speed limits are suggestions, cops are too busy chasing the mafia to chase speeders, lots of twists on the AMALFI COAST...OH YEAH, WE'RE GOING THERE. And, our cross Europe road trip to put the finishing touches to.

European delivery is a long, lonely, unsupported road with serious bumps and curves...luckily I've got Matt at the wheel and a MINI beneath me.

WOOOO HOOOOO LETS M O T O R Mystique!
Photos in my gallery, hope I can post them below, if not, come surf over to my gallery!

Old 07-21-2008, 10:06 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
welcome back Dance, sounds like a great trip! 500 on one tank! that is fantastic!!!
I think i need to go on a vacation!!! just hit the open road, so far it is just back road curves,don't get me wrong, that is great, but think i need more!!

Old 07-21-2008, 10:14 AM
zonedguy
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Euseys
No, Wrong Cable. Turns out, whether it was dealer error, MINI design or whatever, although the AUX jack and USB port are there, you need a 60 EURO COST cable that plugs into both jacks and the iPod's butt.

I AM NOT PAYING OVER $100 US DOLLARS FOR A DAMNED CABLE TO MAKE MY IPOD WORK IN A CAR I SPENT $28,000 ON. Nobody else in week 23 support group *(0ver 40 deliveries!!!)* ever mentioned buying a damned expensive cable to support iPod.
Glad to see you got your wings!

Unfortunately the standard iPod cable doesn't work. You MUST have the BMW USB/Aux Y-Cable because it has some magical circuitry that allows the MINI audio system to understand Apple's proprietary formats. It sends data between the iPod and the USB jack and audio through the Aux. I found that out the hard way because I also didn't know I should be checking for it and thus it was left out of my car. Here in the States, the cable is included with the car. Outside of the US, the cable is a non-standard item. I know most people in Canada and the UK pay for the cable.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:16 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Euseys congrats!!!! Mystique is a beautiful name can't wait for photos!!!

Old 07-21-2008, 10:28 AM
Euseys
3rd Gear
did this work?

Old 07-21-2008, 10:29 AM
Euseys
3rd Gear
Old 07-21-2008, 10:30 AM
Euseys
3rd Gear
Old 07-21-2008, 10:31 AM
Euseys
3rd Gear
INTRODUCING.... M Y S T I Q U E
I'm just happy I figured out how to post a photo. Last one, I promise.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:46 AM
chknlil
2nd Gear
SWEET RIDE!! Congrats!

Old 07-21-2008, 11:21 AM
zonedguy
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I thought that the Pacific Blue was likely to be a "nice touch" feature but WOW, now I am jealous my LiB doesn't have matching seats

Old 07-21-2008, 11:27 AM
OWG
5th Gear
ding, ding, Mystique arriving...

Ok. Euseys are WINGED!
OWG, whenever you get the chance, "wing me!"

Here is the tale of our five hours at the Italian BMW office.

We met Carmine, the guy from Pentagon Car Sales at his office in Grecignano, Italy about 5 mins. from the naval base at 9:25am. (We had a 9am appointment, but Saturday he cut his leg really bad with a rusty weed whacker, so he's a bit slow now...poor guy).

We headed to the base to drop off my car, a 1995 Lancia Dedra. (Italian beater car). We took a factory demo BMW 200 series to the BMW dealer in Caserta. We arrived by 10:00am.

First, the paperwork only took 10 minutes. That was awesome. Ok, let's go downstairs, below ground into the secure vault area where the cars are kept.

Um, is that dusty, icky, speckled thing my brand new $28,800 car?

Ok, so back upstairs for more waiting while they give the car a quick wash. Tursn out it was cleaned on July 15, when it got off the rail/truck to the dealership in the first place, so it just sat for six days getting icky.

An hour later (11:20am) we see her. She's beautiful. But, we're in the basement, its kinda dark and mildly flourescent lit, so to go over my own 3 page inspection I printed off from N.A.M. we need more light. Ok, lets go over as much as we can here in this vault, and then take it outside for the paint inspection. So, my "dealer' Carmine with his bleedy cut leg (it was weeping red clear fluid--healthy, the Italian hospital told him), Matt and I begin going over the 3 page list.
Problems:
1 scratch on hood
1 yellowish stain or scratch (cosmoline?) on aerokit passenger side bottom
1 USB port for IPOD does not work at all, still does not show iPod as connected
1 missing any carpets or rubber matts at all

The coolest thing: She only had .1 of a mile on her. Only .1
How cool was that? Our biggest worry was that some part time teenaged employee would take her joyriding...no worries there!!

So, we bring our complaints to the BMW People, who were wishywashy about it. They took out a purple bottle and buffed out both stains. Now, its lunch, they are closed. Wait to check on iPod USB and outside paint inspection. (1:02pm)

We hit the MALL in Caserta! WOOHOO A real mall. They even have a Body Shop, so I can stock up on tea tree oil! WOOHOO. Lunch, (we treated Carmine) and time to return (3:04pm)

They pull our car into the service bay, the mechanic comes over to us holding the white USB cable that comes with the iPod. "Wrong cable" he says in broken English. Carmine and I translate and go back and forth in English and Italian. How can this be the wrong cable? One end into the iPod's butt, one end into the USB port. I bet the USB port isnt powered or broken or something....

So, over an HOUR of fighting in both English and Italian, I'm close to tears, this happy day sorta ruined by a dusty, splotchy icky car at reveal, and now, you bastards want cash for a cable?

So, poor Carmine buys the cable, sucks up the 60 euros as a "dealer expense" and will try and get Pentagon to pay him back.

We gather our stuff, its now 5:15pm. We've been here since 10am, with a mandatory lunch break. Its time to go Home.

On the way, we BLAST iPod, Jammin' and Singin' and Motorin' trying to think of a name for our blue and black Beauty.

So, I suggest "Beast" from XMen. He's blue but sophisticated. Matt says nah, she's edgier than that. She's tougher and sexier.

M Y S T I Q U E

That's her name. Its perfect. She's waiting for her registration appointment with the US Navy tomorrow, she'll be plated then. No dealer stickers or decals, pure factory condition, not even a plate yet....may the Euseys introduce our MINI.....Mystique!

So, alls well that ends well. Thanks to Carmine for coming through with the cable thing, and we've got 6 months of good driving on Italian roads...where speed limits are suggestions, cops are too busy chasing the mafia to chase speeders, lots of twists on the AMALFI COAST...OH YEAH, WE'RE GOING THERE. And, our cross Europe road trip to put the finishing touches to.

European delivery is a long, lonely, unsupported road with serious bumps and curves...luckily I've got Matt at the wheel and a MINI beneath me.

WOOOO HOOOOO LETS M O T O R Mystique!
Photos in my gallery, hope I can post them below, if not, come surf over to my gallery!

Delivery #47

Quick Reply: Week 23 2008 Support Group