1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 23 2008 Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 06:44 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think we are all starting to get a seriously feel for our kids own personality! Yes she loves to go fast. I have said my new pet-peeve is a fast car in slow traffic! she wants to go and people won't get out of the way!

DChaps, aren't you glad to be back behind the wheel of Al? how you feeling anyway? better I hope!

Old 10-10-2008, 06:58 AM
DanceForMINI
3rd Gear
I got the tire warning last week too and was a bit baffled but re-set the tire pressure per MINI manual.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:12 AM
zonedguy
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DanceForMINI
I got the tire warning last week too and was a bit baffled but re-set the tire pressure per MINI manual.
Dance, it looks like you ended up keeping Ziggy! Was there a conclusion to that saga that I missed?

Old 10-10-2008, 08:17 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Dance, i was just going to ask the same, Ziggy staying???? i hope so.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:34 AM
DanceForMINI
3rd Gear
I did decide to keep Ziggy- They left it up to me but after everything we've been through I couldn't give him up!!! The paperwork has yet to be signed, I will have to sign a disclosure stating I am aware the scratch was repaired via filler but my MINI rep is out this week. For all of the trouble they are offering $500.00 worth of accessories, my choice. I wanted rims but those are too much $$ so I think I'll play it smart and go with snow tires- not too exciting but still...I am happy to have Ziggy.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:35 AM
DanceForMINI
3rd Gear
By the way what does the warning mean with the snowflake? Just that it is cold out??? That came on for a few seconds this morning.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:10 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
It means the temp is pretty low so the roads could become slick

Old 10-10-2008, 12:13 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Good for Ziggy, so basically you need to sign the final adoption papers and he is yours forever!!!

Old 10-11-2008, 12:36 AM
Euseys
3rd Gear
With some parts of the car being made more of plastic than metal, I don't think you have to worry about metal corrosion near the site of the damage, but over your next 20+ yrs together, you might keep an eye on the surrounding area. How the filler site reacts to road salts, temp. changes over a year etc. Automotive Technology is so good, I bet you'll never have any issues at all! Glad it all worked out. Happy Motoring!!

Old 10-11-2008, 10:01 AM
dwf137
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i got the tire warning too. confused the hell out of me.

i filled them all up anyway, it's getting colder and the pressures are going to be dropping.

glad to hear you're keeping ziggy. Hopefully you don't get any issues with the filler down the line, but if you can't really tell it's there, it should be fine. Especially since you don't have a mcs and aren't seeing outrageous hood temps.

Old 10-11-2008, 03:58 PM
zonedguy
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It was an early Saturday for me but for a great reason, MINI RALLY!

Drove up to Prestige MINI today after meeting a another NAM member for the drive up so we could attend the Bear Mountain Oktoberfest '08 Rally. I had a great time seeing all the MINIs and driving through the mountains (though come ON old man in the VW, pull over! can't you see the 30+ MINIs stuck behind you on this 2-lane of twisties?!). Even for my first rally, I could tell that it wasn't very well run, but meeting everyone more than made up for the lack of coordination and things to do at our destination.

Speaking of meeting people, I'm walking around the Prestige parking lot prior to the rally and I see this MINI with the license plate, GOKART and a Rangers frame. I'm sitting there thinking to myself, "why do I recognize this MINI? where have I seen it before? hmmmm...." Nobdy was around so I went off and figured I would come back later to see if I could find the owner. Fast forward to after the rally and I find the same MINI in the parking lot, "waaaaaaaiiiit a second!" Do I see a Joey mod? Do I see painted black chrome line? Do I see freshly painted black tires? Yes - yes I do. "And 'lo 'n behold! What is this!? A W23 badge on the boot?" Indeed I had found Mr. TooLazyforaLogin. I have to tell you fellow W23ers, that was pretty awesome! But still no owner in sight...oh well...time for beer!?

Since the only saving grace of the boring Oktoberfest was the waffles, a bunch of us decided to on our own drive through the mountains. When we got back to the MINIs, someone was in TooLazy's MINI! So I walked right over and asked the beautiful woman where I might find the owner of the car and then there he was! You think those black wheels look good in those photos? They look great in real life, very well matched with the rest of his black trim.

Despite some objections from his friends, we decided to take a photo just for our W23 friends, so here it is, followed by some of the lovely fall foliage:

Old 10-11-2008, 06:26 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
very nice foliage shots. And very very cool you met another w23er!!!! Sorry to hear the rally wasn't very well organized but looks like it turned out to be a great day!!! New, fast friends!

Old 10-12-2008, 08:04 AM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
I caught alot of sh.t over that picture from the wife and brother in law! - I believe the words they used were geek & loser (and another I won't repeat but it started with an F and ended with a G) to which I smiled and told them they wouldn't understand. I hope your roommate laid off you a little on the ride home.

Thanks for coming over!

Old 10-12-2008, 08:38 AM
Euseys
3rd Gear
KEWL!
So, who wants to come over so we all can have a week 23 shindig?
I'll bring the best pasta you ever had...its 3 via caprera, casal di principe, Italy.
HAHA. Will try it seriously when we're in SoCal!

Old 10-12-2008, 03:41 PM
DChap
5th Gear
i want to go on a rally.....hmmmm

Old 10-12-2008, 05:29 PM
dwf137
5th Gear
^I responded to your post about your performance tires.

You'll be fine. I ran summers on my accord for 2 winters. I drove from west chester to pittsburgh two winters ago in that massive ice/slush storm, if you remember that.

I find that in the SE PA/DE area, there's not a whole lot of snow. When it comes, it only stays on the road for a few hours before it's plowed away. You might have to deal with it on some of the back roads for a day or so until the plows make it back there.

Just use common sense and you'll be fine.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:32 PM
krim
5th Gear
so i went on this mtn pass/rim road yesterday... heading up was great, only encountered 2 mtn bikers climbing up to switchbacks. Stopped near the top to view the IE (Inland Empire for you out of towners) and take in some breezey air and silence. Saw a EVO heading down the mountain, and I decide it's time to head to the top and the rim. Well, i miss the turn and I accidently head back down the backside of the mountain, which is tight switches instead of the long esses of the rim road.

Anyways, long story short. I went down to fast that I got myself carsick. I actually had to stop at the bottle of the river grade road and get out and walk around for a few minutes. I also realized that i need to swap out the runflats soon, and maybe get some better brake pads.

--
oh, some more updates...

3500miles and Yuko's exhaust note is deepening, i think she just went thru puberty. She's starting to growl more when i accelerate harder. And my mpg is starting to climb just a hair, i'm starting to see more consistant 29mpg, instead of 27-28mpg, but i wonder if that's because of the recent cool down.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:57 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DChap
i want to go on a rally.....hmmmm
DChaps, did you check out the Phillymini.org? the next rally (we won't be able to make) is hosted in Delaware! great group of people... and if you join you will know us !!! they have a few people from delaware and the one guy from there is the one responsible to putting this rally together... check it out!!!! it is fun, they do all kinds of dinners and rally's and the next one we are going to is a members only social, to meet others.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:22 AM
DanceForMINI
3rd Gear
Wow sounds like everyone has been out enjoying the Minis, testing them on new road conditions and weather conditions. Ziggy needs another bath while the weather is still nice.
Has anyone else received the MINI adventure kit via mail??? I got mine a couple weeks ago and have already utilized almost everything in it! I decided to take the UK antenae ball off though.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:57 PM
DChap
5th Gear
Yeah I know about Philly Mini, I know the lady who was the founding member, Julie. I just don't like auto groups that make you pay a member ship to attend. Makes me salty inside.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:20 PM
dwf137
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DChap
Yeah I know about Philly Mini, I know the lady who was the founding member, Julie. I just don't like auto groups that make you pay a member ship to attend. Makes me salty inside.
that sucks... the mini club here is free to attend any event you want.

the only downside is that you're not covered by their group insurance, so if you get an accident you're stuck using your own.

I paid though because I get lots of discounts on products around here and online. Saved me more then what I paid for the membership.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:18 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
yes discounts on products (even ottos). but this is a very organized and all the rally's i'm been to so far we have been given CD's and tote bags full of cool stuff, we have raffles with some pretty cool gifts. I have been pretty happy about joining. You can also go to the rallys with out being a member, but again there is probably a fee.
Oh well -It is fun! Hope to see you and Al at one, Nugget misses him!

Old 10-13-2008, 09:19 PM
dwf137
5th Gear
yea, just a different approach i guess. We've gotten some tote bags and all rallys have printed directions and complimentary walkie-talkies for everyone, you just don't get a tote bag if you're not a member.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:23 PM
krim
5th Gear
i'm going to repost from another forum i mod, cause i'm too lazy to retype.

From the "What bothers you" thread...

It bothers me that i didn't have a camera with me on sunday. I was down in Irvine having lunch then frozen yogurt w/ a friend of mine when we passed two rolling tumbleweeds crossing the road.

Why you ask, does it bother me?

THEY WERE HUGE.
Like at least 5' across, each, just rolling across Jeffery Blvd near the 405. I could've easily hidden my car behind them. That would've made an awesome photo.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:00 PM
dwf137
5th Gear
i finally found someone to switch my side marker lenses with! now I've got the amber lenses just like the justacoopers! Now all of my signals match, finally!

Quick Reply: Week 23 2008 Support Group