1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 23 2008 Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 09:10 AM
dwf137
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow.

i hate to say it, but i hope they find a reason to total it.

you need a new car, there's no way you're going to be happy with that when all's said and done.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:21 AM
krim
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dwf137
same reason i have them... i have snow tires though, i don't think i'll ever find a situation where i'll want chains. I could understand the general public needing them though.
yeah, i dont go into the mtns enough to warrant buying snow tires.

OWC: Holy moly!

Old 03-16-2009, 11:28 PM
Euseys
3rd Gear
I am beginning to share the consensus about writing it off. Hopefully the loser has plenty of insurance, and your company is taking care of you. I think you might want to have a conversation with the guys in the shop-- i.e. decision to not be able to make it like "brand new".

Meanwhile, MYST1Q with a number one instead of the letter (i) was too close for Patty and Selma in the Cali DMV. I got a letter today in lieu of my licence plates explaining they were refunding my vanity plate fee, and I need to pick another one, they are too close-- yet the auto system on dmv.ca.gov allowed me to input the plate. ANNOYING.

The plate "WAVE BAK" is avail, and I love it, but its not sexy enough for Matt, so we might pout and just save the vanity plate cash, and go annonymous. GACK!

Having some local MINI folks over on Sunday for BBQ housewarming, so if any week 23er is near CHULA VISTA this Sunday....come on by, burgers on the grill at 11am!

Will tell stories about AMVIV 6 once we get back. Kitchen all unpacked, now only dining room downstairs and office/Matt Zone upstairs. Its his man cave, he can unpack+organize it!

I bought (gasp) a 1995 Ford Escape Limited today, decent at $9,200 Total, taxes and everything. Only 74K miles, black leather w moon roof. We needed a more substantial vehicle for eventually towing the medieval encampment stuff, plus trips to IKEA. Right now the MINI is our only car, and its not fair to ask Mystique to haul lumber!

But she could, I betcha. She's a hot, tough girl! hahaha

More to come...

ps. Should we start a new thread "Week 23 09" so the upcoming week 23ers of the next year dont confuse US with true newbies?

Old 03-17-2009, 11:10 AM
OWG
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Euseys
ps. Should we start a new thread "Week 23 09" so the upcoming week 23ers of the next year don't confuse US with true newbies?
From what I am gathering as I scope out the possibility of ordering a replacement vehicle, the only three month waits are for the R57 convertible. So perhaps we just allow the new kids to bounce in with all their enthusiasm and then direct them to their special, happy place.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:14 AM
zonedguy
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OWG
From what I am gathering as I scope out the possibility of ordering a replacement vehicle, the only three month waits are for the R57 convertible. So perhaps we just allow the new kids to bounce in with all their enthusiasm and then direct them to their special, happy place.
Now, I'm not opposed to welcoming '09s into the W23 family...their renewed enthusiasm would be fun to follow. Buuuut....then again, who knows what shady characters they might be

OWG can you retroactively edit the Thread title for Week 23 2008? That might be our best solution.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:26 AM
OWG
5th Gear
I can't edit the thread title, but I have asked the Mod's to change it.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:33 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by OWG
I can't edit the thread title, but I have asked the Mod's to change it.
Done.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:39 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
great thanks!! that should work 2008 should be great!

OWG you are thinking of a convertible??? niceeeee.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:45 PM
proximal
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zonedguy
Now, I'm not opposed to welcoming '09s into the W23 family...their renewed enthusiasm would be fun to follow.
Yes, who doesn't want to relive those days? We should make it a recurring thing.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:57 PM
krim
5th Gear
hmmmm... hate to say it, the more i look at the damage, i'm also leaning towards totaling it.

Oh, oddly enough, I got chased down by a LiB R57 on the highway today. Looks like the guy just picked it up very recently.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:27 PM
zonedguy
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by krim
hmmmm... hate to say it, the more i look at the damage, i'm also leaning towards totaling it.

Oh, oddly enough, I got chased down by a LiB R57 on the highway today. Looks like the guy just picked it up very recently.
Krim, it has only been 9 months, how can you forget about the power gains that LiB gives in such a short time? It is the fastest color after all...

Old 03-18-2009, 02:52 AM
OWG
5th Gear
Originally Posted by gemgirlpa
OWG you are thinking of a convertible??? niceeeee.
Thought of, yes, but executing, no. This is our primary car, the other vehicle is a '99 Tacoma that we will likely keep forever. There are three of us (five if you count the dogs) and when I floated the convertible, by better half, the convertible lover, vetoed the idea saying that we need a car we can all be comfortable in at the same time.

That would be our preference, but the insurance company disagrees, even at $16947. Strangely, if it were a stripper, it would be donating parts to fellow MINI's right now.

Last edited by OWG; 03-18-2009 at 04:57 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:35 PM
krim
5th Gear
Originally Posted by zonedguy
Krim, it has only been 9 months, how can you forget about the power gains that LiB gives in such a short time? It is the fastest color after all...
But two LiB cancel each other out. Besides, I was slowing down to merge over to the offramp when he caught up.

Originally Posted by OWG
Thought of, yes, but executing, no. This is our primary car, the other vehicle is a '99 Tacoma that we will likely keep forever. There are three of us (five if you count the dogs) and when I floated the convertible, by better half, the convertible lover, vetoed the idea saying that we need a car we can all be comfortable in at the same time.

That would be our preference, but the insurance company disagrees, even at $16947. Strangely, if it were a stripper, it would be donating parts to fellow MINI's right now.
Wow, if the cutoff is 50% like the last time I totaled a car, that'd be enough for me.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:20 AM
OWG
5th Gear
Wow, if the cutoff is 50% like the last time I totaled a car, that'd be enough for me.
I think that it varies from state to state - in DC it's 75%. And of course that depends on where they place the ACV. We rolled off the lot at 28.9k, and the NADA is useless for such a new, low mileage car. Against the sticker we are at 60%. For it to be a total we would have to have depreciated some 6+k in just driving it off the lot.

Last edited by OWG; 03-19-2009 at 04:28 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:37 PM
Euseys
3rd Gear
I am so sorry they STILL wont write it off...the squeaky wheel will get the grease on this one-- keep pressing.

Otherwise, life's good. Had some of the West Coast MINI group over, along with some non-MINI owner friends this Sunday for a BBQ Housewarming, and to introduce Matt.

of course, he was BBQing outside, so nobody even really met him, but you know how that goes!!

This Thursday we meet up with some other drivers in Escondido CA for the "scenic route" to Sin City...stopping in 29 palms for lunch, and passing Joshua Tree nat park along the way to Vegas.

Hotel booked, banquet tickets bought. SOOO Excited. Matt starts a school to prep for sea duty the Monday after the AMVIV ends, so its our last hurrah before "real life" begins.

Job hunt begins in earnest then, too. And so does the well intentioned plan of going jogging after work/school...so Tuesday we'll be grumpy but skinnier...

Keep your chin up OWG, and thanks to the moderator for the "2008" add. That will keep it straighter for newbies-- but sure they could join us over here, whats a few thousand more posts, eh?

HAHAHA

Old 03-24-2009, 06:30 AM
OWG
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Euseys
This Thursday we meet up with some other drivers in Escondido CA for the "scenic route" to Sin City...stopping in 29 palms for lunch, and passing Joshua Tree nat park along the way to Vegas.
And my son and I will be traversing in the opposite direction. My better half is taking her robotics team to participate in a Sumo-Bot competition in Las Vegas. Dallas and I are going to escape Sin City for Legoland and some quality father and son time.

Why the lunch in 29 stumps? Not much there but a bunch of ugly Marines

Old 03-24-2009, 10:59 PM
Euseys
3rd Gear
Not sure for 29 stumps hahaha nice name for it. Ive never been there myself.
Oh, I was reading another thread here on NAM and GemGirl PA has a job now!! So, GemGirlPA if u r reading this, congrats, and hope its a great experience.
Signing off to pack for vegas...maybe I'll see you there!

Old 03-25-2009, 04:58 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
thanks Euseys, sorry for not posting it here first, peeked in last night and was tired and went to bed..
it's been 2 days now, finally in the working world again!!!

Vegas you say??? have a great trip!!!

Old 03-25-2009, 05:35 AM
krim
5th Gear
congrats!!!!!

Old 03-25-2009, 05:48 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Thank Krim!

Old 03-31-2009, 05:10 AM
OWG
5th Gear
Gem - Belated congratulations.

Repairs on Maxwell are progressing - Most of the parts are in, the new door shell has had it's jams sprayed and is on its jig for the transfer of the door internals. The rear quarter panel is off.

I am impressed with two things - the structural design of this car, and the meticulous work of this shop.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:07 AM
dwf137
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
glad to hear things are going well with maxwell!

Old 03-31-2009, 04:07 PM
krim
5th Gear
great to hear OWC.

I almost clipped a guy this morning. he decided to go jogging in the dark, wearing mostly black and dark gray, no reflectors anywhere. Ran across a five lane artery in the middle of the block away from any intersections about 20' from where I was while traveling 40mph. I swerved and missed him by about 4 inches, no joke. im glad the steering is rather responsive, otherwise, i'd have an unwanted hood ornament and a heap o trouble.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:07 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OWG
Gem - Belated congratulations.

Repairs on Maxwell are progressing - Most of the parts are in, the new door shell has had it's jams sprayed and is on its jig for the transfer of the door internals. The rear quarter panel is off.

I am impressed with two things - the structural design of this car, and the meticulous work of this shop.
thanks OWG...

glad to hear Maxwell is moving along nicely! Keep us posted!

Old 04-08-2009, 08:37 AM
Euseys
3rd Gear
Hi gang!

Wow I had to look on page 2 to find our thread...I guess we've moved on from the days of being the 3rd thread after "welcome to NAM" and "FYI".
HAHAHA

But, for a while, we were there!!

My reason for posting today is totally selfish, I am reaching out to Week 23ers formally to ask you to network on my behalf.

We're here in San Diego. I am still actively looking for work. I have a Masters in Human Relations through the University of Oklahoma,
have office skills, can work independently, love teaching/leading, dislike math and working with numbers.

I am sincerely asking anyone reading this to consider if there could be an opportunity for me in your circle. Do you know a friend/cousin/neighbor/co-worker in the greater San Dego area who could use a dynamic person like me?
Thanks, and sorry for using bandwidth, but mello roos impound got messed up at closing and they want an extra $276 per month...

I truly appreciate any input you might have. I'm on monster.com, signed up with professional temp agencies, but its molasses slow right now.

Thanks again Week 23 08!!

Quick Reply: Week 23 2008 Support Group