1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 23 2008 Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 11:39 AM
MINImalistnam
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
two years later

Thought I'd be the last one to post here (hopefully, I do not turn out the lights). My signature has the repairs to date. Still having a great time with the car, but bought my wife a big buick floating boat so's we can also have that smoooth ride.

Other things I have learned since 6-31-08: The free oil changes are not sufficient, stick is fun but not in stop-and-go, MPG is still amazing at 33, shortest tire life I have ever had, most fun of any car in memory.

Gem is right, the 7 week wait for the new MINI went by slower than the last 2 years !

Old 07-28-2010, 11:11 AM
OWG
5th Gear
MINImalistnam - Nope you aren't turning out the lights.

What have I learned in two years:

* The body structure is tank like.
* MINI road side assistance is reallllly good - they covered almost $700 in trip interruption cost and flatted the car back to DC from New Jersey when the radiator let go on the Jersey Pike.
* Tire life is really short – new shoes @ 25k.
* 38 MPG is realistic on the open road.

Life is good!

Old 07-29-2010, 01:06 PM
spidrz06
3rd Gear
2 years later and still having a blast in Oliver. We're planning to attend Mini's in the Mountains and the conclusion of Mini Takes the States coming up in about two weeks..

Old 09-17-2010, 07:45 AM
Euseys
3rd Gear
MyStique is still here and going strong, but I am having DUAL MASS FLYWHEEL and clutch issues. New Clutch at 28,000 miles. Hard to believe.

You can read the saga below....

I am writing today regarding the premature clutch/dual mass flywheel failure and related, subsequent major scrape damage to my aero kit, and damage to my bumper on MyStique, my R56 2008 MINI COOPER S

I have completed an extensive internet search, and discovered other MINI owners who also reported <span>'worn out' clutches and flywheel cracks at very low mileage. All of these MINI owners report dealerships across the world refusing to cover the problems, suggesting this is just 'wear and tear'! I urge MINI to launch their own investigation. There is enough anecdotal evidence to initiate a recall, and mass replacement of all dual mass flywheels/clutches in R56 six speed, manual transmissions!</span>

<span>A driver in England writes, “Am predicting a battle with the lease company as to who foots the bill, but this is ridiculous.” (Driver Mini 007, London, England, posted July 21, 2009). Driver MOS writes, “I got my clutch done under warranty at 21k, and know others with r56s of similar age to yours that have had their clutch done at more miles than yours, try other dealers, or ring BMW.” (July 20, 2010, Great Britain).</span>

<span>Dave PM wrote “Same happened to me at 23K, tried warranty, wear and tear I was told went to MINI themselves and they said the same. The dealer has to conclude that there was a fault if you are to get a warranty claim, BMW will need to see evidence, unfortunately a worn clutch is the only evidence so no luck there, mine cost £1600 to get fixed, I needed a new flywheel as well. Dealer was sympathetic and offered me 15% off a new car” (July 24, 2009). </span>

<span>T.Baker, Connecticut USA, wrote on 11/20/09, “Hello All, I hate to make this my first post on the forums, but I need some help. My fiancé purchased a 2009 Mini Cooper S almost exactly one year ago. It currently has about 14,000 miles. Today on her way to work the car broke down and from what the dealership says it looks like her clutch failed. They are telling her that clutches are a "normal wear item" and therefore the repair won't be covered under warranty. I know clutches wear out eventually, however it's insane to think that an OEM clutch should wear out after 14k of highway commuting. We have never had issues with the car before today, it's been perfect. From my experience, one can usually feel a clutch wearing out well in advance of outright failure. They have yet to tell me exactly what part failed, so I don't know if it's the pressure plate/ throwout bearing etc... Has anyone else has this type of issue? If so, were you able to get it warranty? Up until today we loved the whole Mini experience but now…” </span>

<span>Thumper MCS, Arizona, wrote on 11/20/09, </span><span>Have had clutches replaced under warranty on both of my MINI's...Just had my clutch replaced at 25k miles...under warranty.</span><span>This is a very dealer dependent thing, if they will warranty it or not. If the clutch is simply worn out...and they see no other signs of damage, they might not warranty it. But, if they see any part of it failed...throwout bearing or pressure plate like you say, there’s no reason why it should not be replaced under warranty. Throwout bearing failure is a common problem on MINI's...as they are complete junk on these cars. Good luck fighting with them...if you bug them/convince them enough you might get them to do it as a "one time, goodwill" repair under warranty.”</span>

<span>Kevin C writes, “In my short time following this site, I've read about WAY too many premature clutch failures. It's clear as a bell that MINI is putting inferior clutches into these cars. And I suspect that all the stealership service departments know it and would agree, based on how many they must be replacing. It's one thing for some young kid to bring in his "first" car, that shows signs of being abused/driven hard, and the kid has never driven a car with a stick before - and quite another when it's an adult-driven car owned by someone who's been driving manual tranny cars for decades. In the latter scenario, a clutch should be good for 100k miles and beyond. Failing at something ridiculous like 14k is CLEARLY a defect. Don't stand still for the warranty denial!”</span>

<span>To conclude T Baker’s story, they posted on 11/24/09, “The dealership left a message with my fiancé this morning. They are repairing the clutch under the maintenance plan as a "one time goodwill repair." They say we'll have to pay for the rental because maintenance plan repairs don't include a loaner/rental car. I tried calling them back to find out what part broke, but the receptionist puts me through to voicemail every time I call. I'm hoping they will spell it out on the repair order when we get the car back…Now that I have a resolution, and for all who were interested, the dealer is Mini of Fairfield County in Stamford, CT. They are owned by BMW of Darien. If anyone ends up working with them in the future, I would suggest bookmarking this thread just in case they give you a hard time about any clutch issues.”</span>

There are many, many more reports of premature clutch failure on R56 models. Valeo Service issued a service bulletin about the premature failure of the dual mass flywheel, in March 2008.

I am firmly of the opinion that the dual mass flywheel OEM equipment in my car is faulty, and should not have had to pay anything to repair defective equipment. There is anecdotal evidence in USA, Canada and UK to support warranty work on prematurely failed clutches and flywheels.

The Tale Continues...

On the advice of MINI USA, I formally requested “goodwill”, and my cost share was half of the repair, had it been covered under warranty. My bill came to $987.52.

From the sampling of stories above, most customers did not have any cost-share; their repairs were covered by Goodwill, 100%, with no out-of-pocket expenses.

On Friday September 10, 2010, I drove more than 55 miles from my home to the dealership to retrieve my MINI COOPER S and pay $987.52.

When my SM and I were done in the office, I walked toward my MINI, I noticed several huge gashes on the passenger side front, the aero kit was completely mauled, with the curls of fiberglass still hanging perilously across the scars, where the car had been bottomed out. The car has been seriously damaged, and upon further inspection, the bumper or paint had some parallel lines, as if the car’s bumper was harmed during the few days it was in the dealership for the premature clutch failure service.

Imagine my devastation. The MINI is my husband’s pet. We carefully hand wash it on the weekends, have paid for custom graphics, and only fill it with premium unleaded fuel. We are active in our local MINI car club; participate in the Halloween Parade of Cars, MINIs for Kids, which is a fundraiser for Loma Linda Ronald McDonald house, and also, the MINI Toys Car drive, where club members fill a MINI with toys for underprivileged children.

My vehicle is now a damaged vehicle. The major damage is being repaired, but it will never be the same. Its resale value has been affected, to say nothing of the ongoing inconvenience of being without my MINI. I do appreciate the loaner MINI, but this situation is unacceptable. $987.52 is what I paid for a clutch that evidence suggests was a malfunctioning part, only to suffer the negligence of the staff, as they caused thousands of dollars of damage to our beloved MINI.

In compensation for my further inconvenience, I demand that all work relating to this entire experience be completed without cost to me, therefore, I request a refund of the $987.52 I have already spent. I urge you to do the right thing in the face of such egregious negligence. Particularly, since other MINI owners in the USA had their dealerships cover the costs, 100%.

As the spouse of a deployed service member, underway at sea until February 2011, I do appreciate what has been done thus far, but this situation remains painfully incomplete, and I have suffered beyond reason during this entire experience. This vehicle is very important to him.

I can only attest to my competence and skill in driving. I was willing to drive to the dealership and back, taking over four hours and nearly 200 miles of my time and effort, all for nothing, because of the damage, the car remains in the custody of the dealership.

I called MINI USA Customer service, they will call the dealership on my behalf, to request the refund. But, if the dealer says NO, theres NOTHING we can do.

Thus, you are now up to date with the SAGA of my R56, we'll see what the dealership says about refunding me my money!

Old 09-17-2010, 09:35 AM
spidrz06
3rd Gear
Wow... All I have to say it that is horrible. I am so sorry. I have heard of the inconsistency of the dealers regarding various items like the clutch...I'm sorry you got one the jerks. But it's even more outrageous that they treated MyStique so horribly, and caused all that damage. There is no call for that. They are suppose to be trained BMW/Mini service people, not some summer hire kids that screw around....Please let us know what responses you get.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:46 PM
Euseys
3rd Gear
Hi all,
32,000 miles is just around the corner. I was hoping others would pop by to share what last minute warranty checkups they had done.

Brecht (Mini of Escondido) is the complete WORST, I hope they shut down soon, and MINI of SAN DIEGO rocks, is polite, and does excellent work.

We bought the extended warranty-- one saga with a clutch is one too many, so I'll prepay for my next one.LOL.

MyStique is still motoring strong with WEST COAST MINIS, check them on yahoogroups and facebook.

Hugs and love,
MOTOR ON!
I miss checking this forum everyday like I did for most of 2008, 2009.
xoxxoxoxoxo

Old 06-07-2011, 06:08 PM
richs10
5th Gear
My Clubman is right at 36,000 miles. Got it in to the dealer at 35,920 when the OBC had been indicating a service call in 1100 miles for the front brakes. They checked the pads and replaced them under the Maintenance program. Wheww! $555.00 saved!

I also had a potential issue with the clutch which is going to be solved. On a few occasions after downshifting a lot in stop and go traffic, I've gotten a groaning or howl from the clutch. No slippage. Just the noise. I did some looking here online and found a Technical Service Bulletin (SI M21 01 07) that described my problem to a tee.

I took a copy in with me to the service call and they were able to verify the problem and have agreed to replace the clutch under the warranty as stated in the Bulletin. They noted it on my ticket but I have to schedule a separate appointment due to the complexity of replacing the clutch. I am so thankful to NAM to find that Bulletin here in a "Sticky" at the top of the 'Stock Problems/Issues' section. The service rep said replacing a clutch is very expensive.

The reason I'm posting this here is the Bulletin states that it applies to builds up to July 16th, 2008. Since our cars were May/June builds, I thought it might help to get this checked out. The ticket says they were able to hear clutch noise through the bell housing (which I couldn't) and confirmed it on the road test.

Otherwise, my Clubbie has been great. Still have the Conti RunFlats which probably have another 5,000 miles on them. My timing belt tensioner was replaced at about 32,000 since I kept complaining about the cold-start rattle which would happen on Monday mornings if I moved the car a short distance to wash it over the weekend. I had to complain twice before they said the tolerances were enough 'out of whack' to replace the tensioner. No more rattle and the engine sounds brand new now.

I love this car, but the end of the warranty at 50K miles is a bit scary. I guess I will have to decide whether to buy a new one or the extended warranty on the one I have when I get closer.

Rich

Last edited by richs10; 06-07-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:39 PM
AlexM
1st Gear
Originally Posted by richs10
My Clubman is right at 36,000 miles. Got it in to the dealer at 35,920 when the OBC had been indicating a service call in 1100 miles for the front brakes. They checked the pads and replaced them under the Maintenance program. Wheww! $555.00 saved!

I also had a potential issue with the clutch which is going to be solved. On a few occasions after downshifting a lot in stop and go traffic, I've gotten a groaning or howl from the clutch. No slippage. Just the noise. I did some looking here online and found a Technical Service Bulletin (SI M21 01 07) that described my problem to a tee.

I took a copy in with me to the service call and they were able to verify the problem and have agreed to replace the clutch under the warranty as stated in the Bulletin. They noted it on my ticket but I have to schedule a separate appointment due to the complexity of replacing the clutch. I am so thankful to NAM to find that Bulletin here in a "Sticky" at the top of the 'Stock Problems/Issues' section. The service rep said replacing a clutch is very expensive.

The reason I'm posting this here is the Bulletin states that it applies to builds up to July 16th, 2008. Since our cars were May/June builds, I thought it might help to get this checked out. The ticket says they were able to hear clutch noise through the bell housing (which I couldn't) and confirmed it on the road test.

Otherwise, my Clubbie has been great. Still have the Conti RunFlats which probably have another 5,000 miles on them. My timing belt tensioner was replaced at about 32,000 since I kept complaining about the cold-start rattle which would happen on Monday mornings if I moved the car a short distance to wash it over the weekend. I had to complain twice before they said the tolerances were enough 'out of whack' to replace the tensioner. No more rattle and the engine sounds brand new now.

I love this car, but the end of the warranty at 50K miles is a bit scary. I guess I will have to decide whether to buy a new one or the extended warranty on the one I have when I get closer.

Rich
My clutch will do the exact same thing if I get stuck in stop and go traffic. I took it to the dealer for that as well as the cold start rattle (which they fixed, finally). They couldn't reproduce the clutch sound just driving around a bit so they didn't do anything.

My concern with trying to bring them the service bulliten you cited is that it only lists Cooper S' and I have a JCW with the "different" transmission ... suppose it wouldn't hurt to try.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:39 PM
krim
5th Gear
just had my last free maintenance done... breaking 23k now, yeah, i haven't been driving much, too busy.. :(

standard stuff + rear pads
dash torn apart for the 4th time for a 4th squeak
another squeak near the driver side rear speaker they can't figure out
my alarm randomly goes off still, fortunately no windows rolling down
my a/c was full of mold AGAIN, 3rd replaced cabin filter.
scoop melted and replacement is on order
the auto is starting to downshift into 2nd from 3rd really suddenly... :\

like Rich, I don't know if i'm going to keep her after 45k when I should be near the end of the warranty expiration time. The a/c cleaning is $60 a pop, that's a yearly bill I wouldn't care for. The squeaks will drive me insane and the transmission fluid definitely won't last 100k miles and who knows how much that'll cost if the whole thing needs replacing...