1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 23 2008 Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 04:35 PM
proximal
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tweeckey
Hey Krim, where is this runway? You're in the 626? How far are you from the 714? :D
There are still runways at El Toro MCAS that are used for the occasional autocross or performance testing session.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:38 PM
krim
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Krim, where is this runway? You're in the 626? How far are you from the 714? :D
it's somewhere a few hours north of LA. I have to ask my buddies for more info about it after I get my car. instead of helping pay the rental fee, i'm being a mule for the equipment since 1/2 of them gong up on bikes.

i'm near 710/10

Old 06-22-2008, 04:56 PM
DChap
5th Gear
Four more days DChap.. four more days...
i thought about going up there and sitting next to it on the lot for a while today. When I have walked around dealer lots on sundays looking to see whats there I know i have touched the cars, put my face on the glass.... like vultures circling their prey.

I want to keep the vultures away from my car haha

Old 06-22-2008, 05:23 PM
krim
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DChap
i thought about going up there and sitting next to it on the lot for a while today. When I have walked around dealer lots on sundays looking to see whats there I know i have touched the cars, put my face on the glass.... like vultures circling their prey.

I want to keep the vultures away from my car haha
i know a place that sells coils of razor wire.. maybe you can surround yours with it to keep them away

Old 06-22-2008, 06:10 PM
blackjackmark
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So how many MINIs...

fit on a car hauler? My dealer is getting 14 off of the Western Highway that's scheduled to dock Thursday, and I was assuming it'd take two car haulers to get them up here? I'm guessing that they also add on whatever BMWs the dealership is getting (or actually, the MINIs are probably the "add-ons" truth be told!)

It'd be cool to be there in person when they drive Waldo off the hauler, but that's one more drawback of living 200 miles from the dealership!

Old 06-22-2008, 06:25 PM
richs10
5th Gear
Originally Posted by StarryEyed
I read somewhere that you only get one when you have the convenience package.

No, Starry, I have the Convenience Package and got two fobs.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:33 PM
richs10
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Fuso
Oh, man that's exciting.
I'm glad to hear you've had a good experience at Annapolis. I ordered my shortly after you. I'm curious, do you know how long it took for your Mini to go from the VDC to Annapolis.

I shouldn't be having any work done there, nor should I have any work done at the dealer. My information shows that it was dischared to the VDC on Friday June 20th.

My MA-B. Horan, has been very noncommital on any information on when it will get to Annapolis. The Sales Manager Rick was way more positive that I might get it at the end of this week.

I know its all out of their control, but I really want it this week. I'm going on vacation and wont be able to get it until I get back.

I'm just glad to hear someone else have a positive experience there and it gives me hope.

Annapolis MINI and my MA, William Barfield both get 5 stars on the sales and delivery process. 25 days from deposit to delivery. I couldn't have asked it be any quicker. Very happy camper here!

My Clubman arrived at the NY VDC on Saturday and I picked it up from the dealer this past Friday afternoon. So, 7 days. I did have Sport Stripes put on the car while it was at the VDC. I also pushed Will a bit to do the delivery asap since I was having some transportation problems after selling my old vehicle earlier in the week.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:50 PM
StarryEyed
4th Gear
Originally Posted by richs10
No, Starry, I have the Convenience Package and got two fobs.
I know that now! hahaha That was cleared up to me on the last page. It's worded "you get one set" so I read it as you getting one. misunderstanding.

Someone came to look at my SUV for sale today... sounds promising but needs to talk it over with the wifey! ::Crosses fingers::

Old 06-22-2008, 07:02 PM
richs10
5th Gear
Originally Posted by StarryEyed
Someone came to look at my SUV for sale today... sounds promising but needs to talk it over with the wifey! ::Crosses fingers::
It's a tough market out there for SUVs at the moment. I sure didn't get what I thought was the true value for mine, but it was more than the trade offer and I was glad to "move to the next level" by selling it and in getting into position for my MINI.

BTW, this weekend has been a blast. I have run up about 250 miles on it just running around. Your gonna love it! The only slightly disturbing issue is the amount of brake dust on all four wheels. Hopefully, this is just the pads getting seated. I sure hope so!

Old 06-22-2008, 07:05 PM
DChap
5th Gear
nope, BMW brakes are a PINA. The first thing i do with my car when i get it is take off the wheels, and wax them a couple times. My older brother didn't and eventually the brake dust ate into the rim and wouldn't wash off. Wash them often and keep them waxed. Think also about getting Ceramic pads.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:15 PM
StarryEyed
4th Gear
It's a tough market out there for SUVs at the moment. I sure didn't get what I thought was the true value for mine, but it was more than the trade offer and I was glad to "move to the next level" by selling it and in getting into position for my MINI.

BTW, this weekend has been a blast. I have run up about 250 miles on it just running around. Your gonna love it! The only slightly disturbing issue is the amount of brake dust on all four wheels. Hopefully, this is just the pads getting seated. I sure hope so!
I know... I wont get what mines worth either! but like you said, anything is better than the trade in value.

DChaps right about the brakes! Ceramics will come soon after delivery.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:29 PM
DChap
5th Gear
your SUV is only worth as much as people will pay, and right now, people won't pay much at all for an SUV because of poor fuel efficiency.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:08 PM
richs10
5th Gear
nope, BMW brakes are a PINA. The first thing i do with my car when i get it is take off the wheels, and wax them a couple times. My older brother didn't and eventually the brake dust ate into the rim and wouldn't wash off. Wash them often and keep them waxed. Think also about getting Ceramic pads.
- Do you intend to swap the pads immediately, or wait until they need replacing?
- Is it ok under the MINI Warranty/Maintenence program to put ceramic pads on a new MINI?
- BTW, how long do the MINI rotors last, anyway?

Maybe someone could do a "How To" sticky (with Pics!) that could help us Newbies swap out the discs? .....pretty please???

Old 06-22-2008, 08:15 PM
krim
5th Gear
Originally Posted by blackjackmark
fit on a car hauler? My dealer is getting 14 off of the Western Highway that's scheduled to dock Thursday, and I was assuming it'd take two car haulers to get them up here? I'm guessing that they also add on whatever BMWs the dealership is getting (or actually, the MINIs are probably the "add-ons" truth be told!)

It'd be cool to be there in person when they drive Waldo off the hauler, but that's one more drawback of living 200 miles from the dealership!
There were 5 (IIIRC) on the single carrier when i went in for my first test drive. I think they can do 8 on the double.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:40 PM
zonedguy
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It wasn't the first thing I did, but you can bet tomorrow (Day 4) that I'm going to have my wheels thoroughly washed and then wax them. As soon as I can find someone to put on ceramic pads for me, I'm going to, the dust is horrendous.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:58 PM
DChap
5th Gear
- Do you intend to swap the pads immediately, or wait until they need replacing?
- Is it ok under the MINI Warranty/Maintenence program to put ceramic pads on a new MINI?
- BTW, how long do the MINI rotors last, anyway?

Maybe someone could do a "How To" sticky (with Pics!) that could help us Newbies swap out the discs? .....pretty please???
i'll wait until my brakes need to be replaced before i swap them for ceramics. As far as I know BMW wouldn't care if you put ceramic brake pads in, but I don't think they would warranty the brakes until BMW pads were back in. And I have no idea about how long they last haha

Old 06-22-2008, 09:14 PM
Chernobyl
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by OWG
It's a package for the R55/R56. It is a RF smart key that does not need to put into the ignition slot. It allows the doors to unlock just by proximity (have to push the little button on the door handle. Includes central locking, includes ignition starter, includes memory seat adjustments and includes memory steering wheel position.
Huh? Those last two are manual operations (seat and steering wheel position). What's there for the key to remember?

Old 06-22-2008, 11:27 PM
extremevalues
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by zonedguy
It wasn't the first thing I did, but you can bet tomorrow (Day 4) that I'm going to have my wheels thoroughly washed and then wax them. As soon as I can find someone to put on ceramic pads for me, I'm going to, the dust is horrendous.
zonedguy, congrats on taking delivery!

I kept looking at your pix and asking myself if your wheels were white. I never thought about the brake dust on them looking like crap! Argh! I guess I'll try the wheel wax treatment too! Also, will the brake dust issue improve at all over time?

Hoping my MINI is on a truck heading to TX as we speak!

Last edited by extremevalues; 06-22-2008 at 11:30 PM. Reason: adding another question
Old 06-23-2008, 02:14 AM
OWG
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Chernobyl
Huh? Those last two are manual operations (seat and steering wheel position). What's there for the key to remember?
Based on a clipping from the web site.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:19 AM
jfp
1st Gear
What sort of wax does one use on the wheels? Is there a special wheel wax or do you just use the same wax that's used for the rest of the car?

Old 06-23-2008, 05:54 AM
goatdog
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jfp
What sort of wax does one use on the wheels? Is there a special wheel wax or do you just use the same wax that's used for the rest of the car?
Just regular wax. I've used it on my BMW wheels for years, and it works fine. Of course, I'm one of those folks who doesn't believe in Zaino and the other synthetic stuff. I swear by P21S paint cleanser and the best carnauba wax you can find.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:38 AM
DanceForMINI
3rd Gear
Wow- just had to catch up on about 7 pages of posts since I "take the weekends off" from NAM....

I finally got photos of the Alero up on Craigslist and cleaned it up really nice inside and out. As of Saturday, I am now an advocate of Mother's car products- at least the wheel wash, after a bit of scrubbing, I got break dust off that I thought would never come off.... looks shiny and almost new! Now I need a buyer....

Old 06-23-2008, 07:02 AM
DChap
5th Gear
DanceForMINI - glad you got your car all shiny and new looking. I agree Mothers make some great products.

As for wheel wax -- there are some specialized wheel wax products, most companies have them ie McGuires/Mothers...etc. If you want to use regular wax I would not blame you.

I have some specialized wheel wax left from when my Dad waxed his BMW wheels, so I will use that, and then I will use a quick detailer on them each time I wash the car just to ensure that the brake dust doesn't eat in overtime.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:13 AM
DanceForMINI
3rd Gear
Pretty quiet on here this morning- everyone out motoring?

Old 06-23-2008, 07:14 AM
OWG
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DanceForMINI
Pretty quiet on here this morning- everyone out motoring?
Working - trying to avoid thinking about the wait.

Quick Reply: Week 23 2008 Support Group