1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailering a Mini

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 07:24 AM
Bgron
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailering a Mini

Question 1: Living between Florida and Michigan. Does anyone make a light weight trailer designed for just a Mini either in covered or uncovered trailer?; minimum weight, or course aluminum. Have seen non covered trailers where car is encased in a protective cover with elastic net "no flopping"for trailering. Limited in towing capacity of my vehicle. Any info on cover and net??
Question 2: Future may require car to be stored in non climate controlled garage in either location. Mileage driven on Mini will be mostly short hops; Past experience with turbo's is reliability after 3-4 years; costly!!! Should I stay with non turbo car or still consider turbo? Will only use 8-10M miles per year. Want maximum reliability?

Please advise!!!!

Old 05-14-2008, 08:06 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
here is exactly what you need

Last edited by Revolution Mini Works; 09-20-2008 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:48 AM
Bgron
1st Gear
What are specs of trailer; gvw, unloaded wt, axle rating, alum or steel, air dam available?, model no. or custom order, locations in Fla or Mich?
busybob60@hotmail.com

Old 05-15-2008, 06:52 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy cow, that's cool. And how much would one of those cost? I have to figure out a two-car tow system, without the second set of wheels on the road (a Mini & a BMW.) Got anything for that, too?

Old 05-15-2008, 06:53 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by Bgron
What are specs of trailer; gvw, unloaded wt, axle rating, alum or steel, air dam available?, model no. or custom order, locations in Fla or Mich?
busybob60@hotmail.com

Here is the email of the person who makes the trailers
great guy and even better trailers

Dan Skorcz <dan@pacific-tek.com>

Old 05-15-2008, 06:56 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
Holy cow, that's cool. And how much would one of those cost? I have to figure out a two-car tow system, without the second set of wheels on the road (a Mini & a BMW.) Got anything for that, too?

contact Dan
he builds trailers for Municipalities so he can pretty much make anything
Dan Skorcz <dan@pacific-tek.com>

Old 05-15-2008, 07:31 PM
Halifax
4th Gear
I just bought a new 14' Featherlite 3110. Now I have to figure out how to secure the MINI on it. Anyone?

Old 05-16-2008, 06:14 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
I've done a bunch of "normal" tie-down and hauling activities, but I've never towed a vehicle. Some of my Harley-riding friends recommend the strong nylon hook & ratchet tie downs (which have worked for other loads I've hauled & towed), so ...? Chains are just so bulky and heavy...and can flap and damage if not secured properly. I personally hesitate to use chains, but I also sure as h*** don't want to have to chasing my Mini back down the highway! Anybody else have a smarter $.02 to add?

Does the featherlight trailer come with the tie-down rings like in Revolution mini's pictures? The old style trailers I've used in the past never had them, and made life very painful...I had to get creative with those loads. Never again!

Old 05-16-2008, 06:31 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
I have to say for the money Dan's trailer is the best built trailer I have seen. I know he made a custom one for a fellow club member that was a few ft longer so he could haul his Suby or Sunbeam Tiger on it

Old 05-16-2008, 06:53 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Does he have a website, or just the email? I hate bothering him if I decide not to get a trailer yet. ANd I'd like to see what else he has (i.e. the two-car trailer idea...)

Old 05-16-2008, 07:11 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Does he have a website, or just the email? I hate bothering him if I decide not to get a trailer yet. ANd I'd like to see what else he has (i.e. the two-car trailer idea...)

here is his email or you can call him too. Dan is a great guy and would love to talk to you about it

mailto:dan@pacific-tek.com

714-835-3088

Old 05-17-2008, 04:36 PM
Halifax
4th Gear

Does the featherlight trailer come with the tie-down rings like in Revolution mini's pictures? The old style trailers I've used in the past never had them, and made life very painful...I had to get creative with those loads. Never again!
Yes, it has tie-down rings front and rear.

From what I've been reading, it seems that using the slots (under the jacking pads) with T-hooks is the way to go. This is supposedly the BMW-approved way to tie down the car. Since my tie-down rings are in the front and rear, I assume that I will run the straps from the pass. side/right rear slot to the tie-down on the trailer at left front, etc. etc. I'm going to order a set of straps and hooks from Mac's Custom Tiedowns http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/ after I get the MINI on the trailer next week and can check for strap lengths and positions.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Trailering a Mini-aaaaaaaaaafeatherlite_3110_lg.jpg   Trailering a Mini-aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaafeatherlite-3110-front-drings.jpg   Trailering a Mini-aaaaaaaafeatherlite-3110-rear-streetside.jpg  
Old 04-03-2011, 03:38 PM
mikeintn
Neutral
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
here is exactly what you need
Where?