1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Obsessive Compulsive MINI Disorder (Support Group)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 01:24 PM
wbarnhill
Coordinator :: Upstate MINIs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by warev
1.) Do you find yourself on this site day and night - waiting to contribute? Yes.
2.) Do you check the status of your pending MINI via OL? If so how many times a day? I have a direct link to my order tracking page and it refreshes every 10 minutes. And I'm working on a script to automatically gather all the shipping information and plot on Google Maps.
3.) How many times a week do you drive by your MINI dealership (if close)? 60 miles away and I still go three times a week.
4.) If not close, how often do you find yourself scoping out other MINI's in parking lots? It's almost caused several accidents.
5.) Do you get excited about seeing other MINI's on the road? I want to wave, but when I'm not in the MC, I feel silly...
6.) When done on this website, do you check out motoringfile.com? Used to, but not really anymore...
7.) Do you imagine about possible upgrades? I'm already planning mods and plotting the electrical system. Mmm.
8.) Have you become an expert on nautical miles and ship locations? Pilot, so NM are second nature, and ship locations are only a click away (also see answer to #2).
Do you find yourself contemplating how you'll handle certain situations in your new MINI (e.g. Someone calls it a clown car, You see another MINI in trouble on the side of the road, etc)?

Do you find yourself reading and memorizing the downloadable owner's manual since you don't have a physical copy yet?

Do you find yourself making 866-ASK-MINI a contact in your cell phone? How many times does it show up on your phone bill?

Have you already determined the exclusive gas station that will receive your MINI's business?

Old 06-10-2008, 01:37 PM
jamz9987
3rd Gear
Reading the manual without a Mini can be tough. Anybody print out the manual and practice setting options at the dealer?

Old 06-10-2008, 04:13 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HOLY CRAP! And I seriously wondered if IIIIIIIII had OCMD!! I think you last two guys have triple-trumped me!

Old 06-10-2008, 04:28 PM
jjp007
4th Gear
1.) Do you find yourself on this site day and night - waiting to contribute?

YES YES YES. I'm learning way more then I can contribute

2.) Do you check the status of your pending MINI via OL? If so how many times a day?
YES YES YES. Went from twice a day to once a day.

3.) How many times a week do you drive by your MINI dealership (if close)?

haven't done this and it's not all that far. what am i missing out on. i think i would just be in the way. the dealership is really small right now.

4.) If not close, how often do you find yourself scoping out other MINI's in parking lots?

oh I count mini's when i'm out driving around. My poor mom's dog is so confused. When I call out MINI in a happy voice she thinks I am talking to her, it's her name.

5.) Do you get excited about seeing other MINI's on the road?

YES! see #4

6.) When done on this website, do you check out motoringfile.com?

I think i looked for the owners manual but the one I downloaded isn't easy to read. I sent and email to Mini USA but no reply. :( I want my manual!!

7.) Do you imagine about possible upgrades?

Oh yeah, I have a special bookmarks on the computer with all the helpful suggestions the wonderful people here post. I need seat covers for sure. Going to find a good place to get tint and a clear bra as soon as the car comes home.
8.) Have you become an expert on nautical miles and ship locations?

No I haven't even attempted to do this yet. Next week or two will be a different answer. I get lost in my own city so i probably won't understand a whole lot but it will be fun researching.

9.) Do you check your email for responses from open threads? YES YES YES how else can i keep up?

10.) Do non-MINI owners think you're "just a bit outside"?
Most are super excited for me as well but a few of them just dont' get it. My mom included. Wish me luck on having a trouble free Mini so I won't get the I TOLD YOU SO from mom. No matter how old you get Mom is still Mom.

11.) Do you find yourself contemplating how you'll handle certain situations in your new MINI (e.g. Someone calls it a clown car, You see another MINI in trouble on the side of the road, etc)?
My mom already called it a clown car after we did a test drive :( talk about bursting my bubble. A friend scrunched up her nose and said, I dont' like those, they are way to small and not safe. People really think that they aren't safe! :(

12.) Do you find yourself reading and memorizing the downloadable owner's manual since you don't have a physical copy yet?
Tried to download one but it's a really crappy copy and hard to read :( Anyone have a better one I can download for a regular 08 cooper??? I'm jonesing

13.) Do you find yourself making 866-ASK-MINI a contact in your cell phone? How many times does it show up on your phone bill?
YES YES YES...I did this right away....right next to the 1-866-ask-mini is my production number which I pretty much have memorized anyways. Oh it will show up on my bill at least once a day :D

14.) Have you already determined the exclusive gas station that will receive your MINI's business?
I'm in the process right now. I want my baby to have the best gas. I don't know anything about gas except there are about 3 different grades at the gas stations I go to Reg, premium and super premium and that gas is far to expensive but NOT FOR ME ANYMORE!!!

Last edited by jjp007; 06-10-2008 at 04:45 PM. Reason: adding more fun questions!!
Old 06-10-2008, 04:50 PM
NJ Clubman
3rd Gear
OK. This is the interactive part of the program. Here goes:

Hi, my name is David.

(You say): Hi, David

I am a MINI addict. It started with an accidental visit to a dealer while on a business trip. "Just killing time" I told myself. Then I took a booklet. Lots of glossy photos. Options. I tested the back seat... and fit, even through I'm 6-1. What was that sound? Was that angels singing?

Fast forward.

I start shopping in a whole new set of stores so I can find more excuses to drive by the dealer. I start stopping to just look in the windows. I note with a smile that if the Minis outside the showroom were women, I'd be locked up -- a convicted stalker.

I buy.

Now, I can't seem to stop checking OL and reading NAM. I post. I go back to OL. I tell myself, "England's on such a different time zone, they must be a work now. Maybe the status changed.

Is there a cure?

(You say): Relax. There are 12 simple steps to recovery.

Step 1. Take delivery
Steps 2 through 12: Get Motoring.

I hope there is a cure, anyway.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:52 PM
otterdad
3rd Gear
Have you uttered the word "Mini" so many times that your spouse has banned its use in her presence?

Old 06-10-2008, 05:05 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Have you trained your ENTIRE company of soldiers (70 people, minimum) to do "Mini spotting" and cheer and wave every time you see one? To include when you're all in tactical vehicles!?! Gets a little disturbing when a whole convoy of military vehicles starts waving at you........

Old 06-10-2008, 06:03 PM
SPF ZERO
4th Gear
Wow, I think you all really are sick! I just spotted this thread on one of my 4 or 5 daily visits to NAM, interspersed with visits to the ship tracking site. I'm so well controlled that I don't even check in on the Owners' Lounge anymore... well, at least not since they stopped having any updated info...

See, I don't have a problem!

Old 06-10-2008, 06:07 PM
revray
4th Gear
Originally Posted by NJ Clubman
... I hope there is a cure, anyway.
Why would you want to be cured?

Old 06-10-2008, 06:10 PM
jamz9987
3rd Gear
Just to be clear. I did not take my copy of the owner's manual to a dealer to practice. I just wanted to know if anyone else did. If my dealer wasn't 70 miles away....

Old 06-10-2008, 07:03 PM
NJ Clubman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by revray
Why would you want to be cured?
I want to take delivery of my car. That's the cure for this irrational anticipation.

And I wouldn't trade it for anything. I don't think any of us would.

Question for anyone who already has their car:

When you read comments from those of us who are dying of anticipation waiting for our babies, do you miss it? I mean, I want my car, but there is something special about the wait. Sort of like when you're 5 years old and you're waiting for Christmas. Part of what made that so great was the anticipation.

OK. I'll shut up now.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:12 PM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
I bought mine off the floor. Had everything I wanted, from colour to bonnet stripes. Dealer threw in the checkerboard sunroof and mirrors so I picked her up two days later.

Instant MINIfication.

I was never one for Carley Simon's "Anticipation."

CROC 411

Old 06-10-2008, 07:17 PM
NJ Clubman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Red Dragoon
I bought mine off the floor. Had everything I wanted, from colour to bonnet stripes. Dealer threw in the checkerboard sunroof and mirrors so I picked her up two days later.

Instant MINIfication.

I was never one for Carley Simon's "Anticipation."

I wish. Every Clubman shown in inventory within a 3 hour drive of me was already sold. No instant MINIfication for me.

(Sigh.)

Old 06-10-2008, 07:22 PM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
I wish. Every Clubman shown in inventory within a 3 hour drive of me was already sold. No instant MINIfication for me. -- NJ Clubman

Hope yours arrives soon.

CROC 411

Old 06-10-2008, 07:26 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I do a lot of the things in the list, but honestly I don't think I have a problem. I can stop any time I want to....really!!!

Old 06-10-2008, 07:40 PM
NJ Clubman
3rd Gear
We just moved to "Scheduled for Production". One small step for my Clubbie. One giant leap for my addiction.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:04 PM
sfomini
3rd Gear
How about adding this one (apologies if I missed it above):

Have you memorized your VIN?

I'm just hoping it will come in handy some day! At least when my registration and plates arrived last weekend I could verify the VIN on the registration without having to look it up anywhere!

Tony

Old 06-10-2008, 09:11 PM
jamz9987
3rd Gear
At least I haven't memorized my vin. I knew my prod# by the second day but not my vin.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:17 PM
jamz9987
3rd Gear
15. You forgot to go online to pay your credit card off because everytime you got on the computer you went to NAM instead.

StupidStupStupid. I thought it was due on the 12th. First time i've had to pay interest since last time i forgot 3 years ago. Argh!

Old 06-11-2008, 04:30 AM
revray
4th Gear
Originally Posted by NJ Clubman
I want to take delivery of my car. That's the cure for this irrational anticipation.

And I wouldn't trade it for anything. I don't think any of us would.

Question for anyone who already has their car:

When you read comments from those of us who are dying of anticipation waiting for our babies, do you miss it? I mean, I want my car, but there is something special about the wait. Sort of like when you're 5 years old and you're waiting for Christmas. Part of what made that so great was the anticipation.

OK. I'll shut up now.
You forget one thing about being a kid. All kids want to be grown ups, not kids. Show one kid who's totally content to bide their time and enjoy being a kid, and I'll show you a hundred who want to be grown up yesterday.

When it came time for me to finally become a MINI owner, I looked online for a used MINI I could afford, went to the lot drove it two blocks and had to have it and bought that day. I don't miss being a kid for one second, because now that I have MS MINIVER, I am one once again!

Old 06-11-2008, 05:10 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
I would have to agree with RevRay...I looked at the intolerable wait (and I was in Europe having to wait, so I didn't have it as bad as you did) akin to being a teenager. I'm SO glad it's over, and I do NOT want to go back...

And I don't think I miss it, only because there are SOOOOOOOOOO many other things about the Mini to obsess over.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:53 AM
SPF ZERO
4th Gear
Another sign OCMD?

How about: "How many items have you already ordered (and received) for the MINI that you haven't yet recevied?"

I have motoring badges, a badge holder, a front license plat mount, and a KUDA GPS mount already.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:58 AM
richs10
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SPF ZERO
How about: "How many items have you already ordered (and received) for the MINI that you haven't yet recevied?"

I have motoring badges, a badge holder, a front license plat mount, and a KUDA GPS mount already.

Know dat!

So far: a magnetic badge that says "Hummer Escape Pod", badge holder, glove box organizer, New Nuvi 760 (piano finish to match the interior), GPS mount, car duster, and a new iPod.

I would also already have a new bluetooth phone, except it appears that NONE will work with the MINI bluetooth package. So I convinced myself to wait until I get the car so i can do the 30 day return on Verizon if it doesn't!

Old 06-11-2008, 08:05 AM
richs10
5th Gear
Oh, and I have also absolutely convinced myself that life will not be complete without sport stripes and an invisibra, so that gets tacked on the tab at the dealer.

So, "MINI POOPER" is not turning out to be the gas-money saver I thought........(sigh)

Old 06-11-2008, 11:24 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by richs10
I would also already have a new bluetooth phone, except it appears that NONE will work with the MINI bluetooth package. So I convinced myself to wait until I get the car so i can do the 30 day return on Verizon if it doesn't!
Actually, if you go on the audio/vis/NAV threads here on NAM, you'll see which ones work with the blue tooth and which don't. Supposedly the BlackBerry does, and even transfers the phone book, which most don't. I figure I have a little mobile blue tooth, so...I needed to spend that money in other places on my Mini!

Quick Reply: Obsessive Compulsive MINI Disorder (Support Group)